Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

So I've been using Band Bulu and I've noticed it destroys everything... except steels. So naturally I'm considering Magnezone as a partner. What mag sets are considered good these days or would be good in that pair?

Has anyone had any success with regular Scizor?
So I've been using Band Bulu and I've noticed it destroys everything... except steels. So naturally I'm considering Magnezone as a partner. What mag sets are considered good these days or would be good in that pair?
Scarf magnezone is always a good pick, it can outspeed and chip away at mega metagross. Chople is good to if you want to pop fighting types like terrakion for yourself. AV is also being used now if you are weak to things like koko. Specs is viable as well but its not that great imo since the damage isnt necessary tbh for what you need it to do. Just find what works for you there, I always lean towards scarf myself but these other sets can help you depending on your team build.

Scarf magnezone is always a good pick, it can outspeed and chip away at mega metagross. Chople is good to if you want to pop fighting types like terrakion for yourself. AV is also being used now if you are weak to things like koko. Specs is viable as well but its not that great imo since the damage isnt necessary tbh for what you need it to do. Just find what works for you there, I always lean towards scarf myself but these other sets can help you depending on your team build.
Good advice, thanks!

Magnezone can't *reliably* trap Metagross. It's much better at trapping Steels like Skamory Celesteela and Scizor. Honestly scarf Mag is really underwhelming right now since the loss in power is extremely noticeable especially when trying to trap Scizor before it U Turns. Scarf Mag is used if you need Mag to also function as a revenge killer to threats like Mega Pinsir and Kyurem-B.

252 SpA Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 128 SpD Scizor-Mega: 232-276 (67.6 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagross: 160-190 (53.1 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I'd expand on this more with more calcs that show why Specs and AV are typically better for their power and defensive utility respectively but I'm on mobile right now and short on time

What do people think of Dodrio? Apparently Life Orb Brave Bird Dodrio hits as hard as Mega Pinsir's Return and is faster than Mega Pinsir too (base 110 vs base 105). Dodrio has normal (return, double edge) and fighting (jump kick) coverage to deal with Electric and Steel and Swords Dance to attempt a sweep too. Some OO are Roost, Quick Attack, Agility, Knock Off and a nuke with either SSSS or Breakneck. Not being 4x weak to rocks + not a mega are nice too. Not having Flying priority like Pinsir and that abysmal bulk hurt a lot though. Is Dodrio viable?

What do people think of Dodrio? Apparently Life Orb Brave Bird Dodrio hits as hard as Mega Pinsir's Return and is faster than Mega Pinsir too (base 110 vs base 105). Dodrio has normal (return, double edge) and fighting (jump kick) coverage to deal with Electric and Steel and Swords Dance to attempt a sweep too. Some OO are Roost, Quick Attack, Agility, Knock Off and a nuke with either SSSS or Breakneck. Not being 4x weak to rocks + not a mega are nice too. Not having Flying priority like Pinsir and that abysmal bulk hurt a lot though. Is Dodrio viable?
Better off using Staraptor, which hits harder. Still kills itself quickly, though.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Staraptor is both slow and reliant on Choice items. It can wallbreak (poorly) but cannot sweep at all. Dodrio may have a shot at sweeping thanks to the speed and SD.
The problem is that Dodrio's speed, while better than Pinsir's, is far from good for a sweep. Pinsir relies on its strong priority Quick Attack to deal with faster threats whereas Dodrio just gets outspeed and killed

Dodrio is super frail with some terrible bulk to even allow it to be ohkoed by a Choice Scarf Latios Psychic. Basically every scarfer will kill it, and stall can wall it using skarmory, balances still have scarfers and they can use BP on Mega Scizor to their advantage if they are not running Celesteela, Zapdos, or anything reasonably bulky or faster.

So Noisy

sehna padega thoda
So i got a question, what happened to offensiv Rotom-W sets and why are they not played anymore? (With either specs or scarf)
i am pretty sure offensive rotom-w sets died after generation 4/5 and the scarf trick was a weird gimmick in gen6 trying to catch stuff like ferrothorns so the sets werent offensive anyways

Last edited:
What is the formal definition of pressure? Sometimes when I hear it used it makes sense (ex: "Spikes pressure Tapu Fini to Defog") but a lot of times I don't understand it (ex: one time Pokeaim said something to the effect of "I'm going for Scald because it pressures TTar"). I've heard the terms "offensive pressure" and "defensive pressure" used, but I don't see how they're different from just having an offensive/defensive presence. Could someone clarify these things for me?

So Noisy

sehna padega thoda
What is the formal definition of pressure? Sometimes when I hear it used it makes sense (ex: "Spikes pressure Tapu Fini to Defog") but a lot of times I don't understand it (ex: one time Pokeaim said something to the effect of "I'm going for Scald because it pressures TTar"). I've heard the terms "offensive pressure" and "defensive pressure" used, but I don't see how they're different from just having an offensive/defensive presence. Could someone clarify these things for me?
just think of the term pressure as troubles or annoys and you ll get it. fpr eg spikes ninja pressures fini as it has gunk shot so it cant defog on it and scald burns are annoying for ttar (also supereffective) or any physical attacker for that matter so it pressures them to switch or not switch in directly

Magnezone can't *reliably* trap Metagross. It's much better at trapping Steels like Skamory Celesteela and Scizor. Honestly scarf Mag is really underwhelming right now since the loss in power is extremely noticeable especially when trying to trap Scizor before it U Turns. Scarf Mag is used if you need Mag to also function as a revenge killer to threats like Mega Pinsir and Kyurem-B.

252 SpA Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 128 SpD Scizor-Mega: 232-276 (67.6 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagross: 160-190 (53.1 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I'd expand on this more with more calcs that show why Specs and AV are typically better for their power and defensive utility respectively but I'm on mobile right now and short on time
While I agree that in SM, AV is generally a better choice, the point he was making with scarf is that since you outspeed mmeta, you can volt switch off it for free to get chip until it's in HP Fire range (which i'm guessing from your calcs would be after 1 volt switch).

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
How does decay work during suspect tests? I won't be able to play for the next week or so but I already got an alt with a good starting record so I don't really wanna have that wasted due to decay. Does it affect my COIL in any way?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)