Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Jord-e ill just include this in case you were sarcastic
1516101146079.png

if you a mod delete this post but give me an infraction while your at it for turning this into a theorymon thread

Last edited:
DD zekrom is walled by lando quag bulu and ferro and is still slow enough to get rked
Groudon is would still be inferior to lord lando.
ye specs reshi has too good coverage and can smash through pex ttar and heatran and tr and sr dialga are fantastic even in ubers idk why I suggested that in the first place. Not to mention dialga resists water, psychic and electric and is fat as hell
LO MixDon busts through p much the whole tier thanks to its variable options in shit like precipe blades, solar beam, hp ice, twave, sd, overheat, and fire punch.

252+ Atk Teravolt Zekrom Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-Therian: 295-348 (77.2 - 91%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
walled.
+1 252+ Atk Teravolt Zekrom Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 454-535 (115.2 - 135.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
T E R A V O L T
+1 252+ Atk Teravolt Zekrom Bolt Strike vs. 248 HP / 56 Def Tapu Bulu: 164-193 (47.8 - 56.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Grassy Terrain recovery
Bulu is set up bait though, it cant do much back.

and Ferrothorn is quite easy to wear down, especially when u pressure it w smth like psyspam, though it does wall Zekrom in a 1v1 situation.

Being able to get rkd didnt stop megagross from being busted as shit btw.

wyattdev I was 99% sure that Zekrom did learn dd, so i'll apologize for that, i was wrong, but my other points still stand. ***Hone Claws Zekrom will live***

e: ill just include this in case u were sarcastic.

1516100338386.png

Dialga is especially useful for p much any team lol, it walls a large variety of mons thanks to both its typing and raw bulk, not too mention how hard it can hit. It can also provide useful utility with rocks and roar, it's basically an Empoleon but better, when talking about utility.

Last edited:
Dear Lord what have I started.
Pity that my question probably won't be answered seriously, instead we have drifted off into a discussion that will probably get the thread locked for a few days. Even I as someone who only plays Gen fucking 1 where shit like Tauros runs rampant can tell you that all ubers except the two I mentioned have absolutely no place in the tier, unless we unban everything wyattdev mentioned at once and make OU mini-Ubers (the wet dream of every Smogon hater), which would in turn create an extremely small and centralized meta and we'd re-ban everything until we end up with OU again.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't necessarily speak for the council, but at this time there are no plans to drop down any Uber Pokemon. Even so, the Pokemon suggested would significantly warp the metagame negatively:

- Darkrai would likely run Nasty Plot + 3 Attacks with a Z Crystal to bypass some of its checks. Firium or Fightinium will do the trick to blow through a lot of defensive teams. Z-Hypnosis would likely not be off the table either.
- Deoxys formes make Spikes an even greater issue and re-invites metagames similar to DeoSharp.

While I'm not saying for certain that these Pokemon will never be tested, the chances of it are not seen at this time in the foreseeable future.

In the future please remember the rules frown upon discussion of unbanning a Pokemon, and those rules should still be exercised here (though lenient for newcomers).

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Why does everyone say Mega Venusaur is bad?
If you're referring to my post on the previous page, it's just generally a poor choice on stall teams that have much better options to choose to beat the things that it does, whereas the defensive utility of stuff like Mega Sab and Mega Sciz in conjunction with their utility is much more valuable.

To put it shortly, the reason I think venusaur is bad and overrated is because it gets worn down too quickly by the things it's supposed to check and other bulky grasses are much less passive and provide more utility.

Even though venusaur is decently fast and decently strong, it's still easy to switch into and can't touch bulky offense or balance. Obviously it can hit hard against hyper offense, but it gets overpressured way too quickly. Obviously it checks a lot of mons like kartana, koko, bulu, greninja, keldeo, heatran, zygarde, magearna and mawile but it's bad at checking all of those because hazards, burn, u-turns and volt switches wear it down way too quickly.

Greninja just spikes up on the switch to venusaur as venusaur takes the rocks damage. Greninja then switches out on the double/giga drain and goes into something to force venusaur out. Venusaur then has to come in on spikes+2 rounds of stealth rocks if they were there before and specs dark pulse easily 2hkoes. Tapu Koko just u-turns out into something to force venusaur out and Venusaur takes any hazards+the u turn damage and has to switch out and come back in on hazards the next time it has to check something and it will probably be worn down to 70% and will most likely get 2hkoed. Keldeo, rotom and toxapex can all just fish for a burn on venusaur and toxapex can stay in on venusaur indefinitely. AV bulu just nature's madnesses venusaur and forces it to waste a recover as it goes into something to force venusaur out. Band Bulu just does a ton with megahorn/zen headbutt and sd rockium can blow it away with a little bit of chip. Bandgarde does a ton to venusaur and can stay in on venusaur and force it to recover. Dragon dance just sets up to +2 and kills with groundium. Venusaur can't even break it's sub without giga drain. Heatran does like 50 with magma storm + magma storm damage and shuts down venusaur's recovery. If heatran is spdef, it can just burn with will o wisp or fish with lava plume.

Venusaur is a pretty safe bet vs mawile, kartana and magearna but they all have some ways around it. AV mag just volts out into somehting to force it out, it can beat it if it's sg psychium (which is no set) and regular sg cm can 1v1 if venusaur doesn't have earthquake or just hax through with freeze and paralysis. Kartana walls venusaur if they don't have hp fire and the rather unconventional sets darkium steelium and normalium can all break through. Mawile can 2hko if it's running iron head which is a bad set.

Venusaur's only recovery is synthesis which gets easily stalled out, it doesn't get too many opportunities to recover up vs. offense and if sand is up, venusaur is completely shut down. Venusaur is also almost always forced to run sludge bomb/hp fire/ eq. Without giga drain, zygarde can wall and it can't ohko ash greninja as it's forced to spam recover and get flinched down or get 3hkoed by dark pulse on the switch and not kill back. Without sludge bomb, grass types wall and lele can come in for free. Without eq/leech seed it can't do anything to magearna and heatran. Without hp fire, it's hazard fodder for ferrothorn and setup fodder for kartana. Venusaur never gets space on it's moveset to run utility moves like knock off and sleep powder.

Another thing is that all the other bulky grasses have more utility and venusaur doesn't provide anything to a team besides "walling certain threats." Other bulky grasses can wall the same things and do more for the team. Ferrothorn has the invaluabe steel typing, punishes physical attackers for using contact moves, can set hazards, leech seed, spread thunder wave, knock people off, is extremely bulky on both sides and it's stabs are still decently strong. AV Bulu can check the infamous lele well as long as it doesn't get psyshocked and doubles as a wallbreaker and it is very hard for offense to switch into. Amoonguss has spore, stun spore, foul play, clear smog and regenerator so it doesn't get worn down so easily like venusaur. AV tangrowth has an insane movepool and great coverage/utility with eq, rock slide, knock off, hp ice, leaf storm, giga drain, hp fire and sludge bomb. Physdef tangrowth can give off helmet damage, spread sleep powder, is extremely bulky in the physical side and still has the busted regenerator ability.

Not to mention, the meta isn't too kind to venusaur either. Spikes are still as good as ever and are the best way of wearing down venusaur. A lot of teams right now can spread burns with will-o-wisp, scald and lava plume and pex is still top 5 in usage and is the best venusaur check in the game. Flying and psychic are still fantastic offensive types. Pinsir and hawlucha are top tier threats and lele, latios, zam, hoopa and medicham are great too. Not to mention, ttar usage is as high as ever and it shuts down venusaur completely. Volt-turn is also a great strategy rn and it destroys venusaur as it gets worn down by u turns and is forced out by a powerful breaker before it can recover.

On stall, you should always rub sableye, scizor or no mega. Sableye checks medicham and zon z heatran and has the invaluable ability magic bounce. Magic bounce bounces status/hazards/taunts which are the best ways of wearing down stall and if you can't keep hazards up you're basically not breaking stall. Not to mention, since it's a mega it can absorb tricks and knock offs to keep chansey's eviolite intact. Sableye also has the great ghost typing so it can avoid being trapped and the dark typing to wall mono-stored power pokemon. Sableye can also knock off mons and spread burns. Running venusaur/scizor forces you to run mew or cresselia to check medicham and neither provide near as much utility as sableye. You can just add an amoonguss or a zapdos to check Kartana on stall. Look at the stall tdk brought in spl. That team has no sableye and is a feast for mega medicham.

Esteemed trophyless user blunder has said on multiple occasions that he doesn't like venusaur and thinks it's bad so it must be true.

Last edited:
I got a few questions about BL posterboy staraptor. I'm tryna make a staraptor team because poor staraptor has been banned from lower tiers and unused in higher tiers and deserves to shine in ou. I'm following in the footsteps of Omari P.

1. does staraptor+magnezone sound like a good idea?
2. does staraptor+pinsir birdspam sound like a good idea?
3. is double defog basically required with staraptor since it kills itself anyway?
4. would voltturners make good partners with staraptor to bring it in safely?
5. last move on banded raptor after cc/bird/edge? pursuit, uturn or quick attack?
6. adamant for power or jolly for lele and kyurem?
7. tell all your friends to start spamming staraptor so we can get it into ou by usage

Yes I understand it's hard to justify over Pinsir and Hawlucha but I want to make staraptor work anyway since my boi been stuck in BL for too long.

Last edited:
Reactions: DKM
I got a few questions about BL posterboy staraptor. I'm tryna make a staraptor team because poor staraptor has been banned from lower tiers and unused in higher tiers and deserves to shine in ou. I'm following in the footsteps of Omari P.

3. is double defog basically required with staraptor since it kills itself anyway?
5. last move on banded raptor after cc/bird/edge? pursuit, uturn or quick attack?
7. tell all your friends to start spamming staraptor so we can get it into ou by usage

Raptor + zone isn’t a terrible core but I think raptor is just hard to justify over Hawlucha for most (all?) builds. Your top priority would be pairing it with stuff that likes Lando weakened or dead (Zygarde/Kartana/Stakataka/Zard X being examples but there’s a ton more) Rotom is back in OU but it gets donked by Raptor so that’s a plus.

I’d run adamant Banded because I’m solely using it for damage output (but I’m also a person that uses modest specs Lele so YMMV)

Last edited:

DKM

Are you feeling nervous? Are you having fun?
is a Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

2 other unrelated questions

8. is it acceptable to run physdef pex if I already got a spdef tran and an AV Bulu?
9. does pressure affect haze?

Yes I understand it's hard to justify over Pinsir and Hawlucha but I want to make staraptor work anyway since my boi been stuck in BL for too long.

1. It sounds ok imo
2. I could see it working
3. I wouldn't say it's required but it would probably be nice
4. Very much yes
5. Jolly on scarf but probably Ada on band
6. I say U-turn for momentum
7. Ok

Just wanted to say my opinion on Staraptor since it's super cool, but I don't have as much experience as Omari P so take it with a pinch of salt.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I tried to use a damp rock on manaphy anf it said it was banned. Why is it?
Damp Rock is banned in monotype, and Manaphy is banned in UU-NU. Otherwise there shouldn't have been any problems aside from miscellaneous moveset illegalities you might've had.

Thunder Pwoell

Banned deucer.

3 other unrelated questions

8. is it acceptable to run physdef pex if I already got a spdef tran and an AV Bulu?
9. does pressure affect haze?
10. set for utility ttar for a sand team. I know this is hard to justify over band or utility mega tar but I need dat smooth rock.I know sand is bad too but I'm still gonna try since SD steelium drill is super lit.
Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave/Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock
Suhh dude, so i am Omari P actually lmao and I can answer your questions.
1) does staraptor+magnezone sound like a good idea? - I mean for sure just depends on your sets. Raptor - outside of final gambit - really cant tocuh skarmory so trapping it would be hella heat. You can even uturn on the skarm and trap it bar shed shell skarm. But usually if they go skarm theyre rocky helmet.

2)does staraptor+pinsir birdspam sound like a good idea? - LOL this was like XY ou. had talonflame too.

3)is double defog basically required with staraptor since it kills itself anyway? - Double defog is in no way required. I ran like 4 weak to ice mons in high ladder and only had one of them carry defog (mandibuzz). youll be fine. Raptor usually comes in late game anyway.

4) would voltturners make good partners with staraptor to bring it in safely? - i mean its ur playstyle. Idc about volt switching i usually just make the double or sack. fuck a volt switch

5)last move on banded raptor after cc/bird/edge? pursuit, uturn or quick attack? - thats really on you dude. mine was uturn

6)adamant for power or jolly for lele and kyurem? I ran adamant scarf. ur not okoing a kyurem lol at all but you are okoing the lati twins (you wont if ur +speed) and doing a lot more damage to lando,tran, pex, ferro, etc. mons that u 2hko and u can 1hko lando from neutral if its offensive. I dont recc band unless u have speed support or a lot more faster mons. there are a LOT of mons faster than u in ou.

Good luck

Thunder Pwoell

Banned deucer.
Is AOA Mew usable, and if so, any sets for it?
Alright check out my sets here and here. I use 2 sets v v successfully and theyre so good. One is my assault vest mew Psychic, ice beam, Fire Blast, and Earth power and as you can tell its there to pick off the 4x weak mons that ou is littered with, run timid max spa and speed and ur fucking gucci. You oko all of those mons with 4x weaknesses and u tank a draco, and a kokos thunderbolt while doing 60% and 80% respectively. latios cannot 2hko u but u 100% can to him. Also this can be a clean anti lead since it okos ferro and 2hkos tran. EP also 1hkos non av magenton and takes on magearna actually sicne fire blast 3hkos and mag isnt really doing shit to u if its not z fairy.

Now nasty plot mew is fucking flames and hilarios. I ran the same eves and nature but psychic, softboiled, aura sphere, and nasty plot and while ur walled by sableye ur fine lol. 2+ aura sphere will oko a ttar so fun fact there. ur naturlly bulky so u can 6-0 a few teams with it. Non banded weavile wont kill u with knock off either and ur trick resistant. its Flames lol. u also can take on chansey even, I miss that mon tbh

Hey, been out of the loop for a while. Some time back (possibly early SM or even late ORAS) I recall Mega Latios being considered a borderline troll pick, having essentially no reason to be used over base Latios or Mega Latias. Now I see it sitting comfy in the B ranks. What's changed for it?

Hey, been out of the loop for a while. Some time back (possibly early SM or even late ORAS) I recall Mega Latios being considered a borderline troll pick, having essentially no reason to be used over base Latios or Mega Latias. Now I see it sitting comfy in the B ranks. What's changed for it?
I believe it has something to do with M-Latios having 130 base attack and access to EQ, effectively letting it lure Heatran and smack it really hard in the process.

0- Atk Latios-Mega Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 312-368 (96.5 - 113.9%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

The Attack boost Latios gains upon Mega Evolving allows it to deal with its usual checks using Earthquake, OHKOing Heatran and 2HKOing CB Tyranitar (feats otherwise requiring Specs Surf or a Z-move), as well as 2HKOing AV Magerna, which can take literally anything Latios can throw at it.

What changed for it, actually making that relevant, was the arrival of Blacephalon, which hates Tyranitar and Heatran. In part because of its meme status, Mega Latios made an effective lure for those two, and while too common to be called a "lure", they can't switch in without fearing an EQ.

Hi! I have a question that I have been wondering about for some time. Imagine a metagame where #1 had 80% usage but #2 had 15% usage, would it be a diverse metagame?

Hi! I have a question that I have been wondering about for some time. Imagine a metagame where #1 had 80% usage but #2 had 15% usage, would it be a diverse metagame?
Well, not quite exactly, it really depends how much usage the #3 and below have as this means that most teams will have #1 and that does mean there isn't as much diversity, but, say that #3 to #25 all have around the same usage then yes, i would say it's a diverse metagame to some extent.

Well, not quite exactly, it really depends how much usage the #3 and below have as this means that most teams will have #1 and that does mean there isn't as much diversity, but, say that #3 to #25 all have around the same usage then yes, i would say it's a diverse metagame to some extent.
Yes, I was thinking about having tons of mons around 15-20%, but with one mon that would be literally on all teams

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)