Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

non-HP Ground Volcarona (especially Z Psychic sets with Bug Buzz and Fire Blast) as it can lure and chip/kill Heatran and Tyranitar for that variant of Volcarona stands out to me. However, some other Pokemon include Scarf Tapu Lele, Toxapex (gets trapped by Magma Tran pretty often, but doesn’t always fit on M-Lati teams), and even other stray Psychic types like Hoopa or Reuniclus who want to abuse Tyranitar being lured.
I love the Volcarona idea and the Scarf lele. Could make a psyspam team w/o Zam Tysm

http://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/pokemon/latios/

See team options in the Mega Latios section. Magnezone helps remove Steel-types like Ferro & Celesteela that don’t really care about any of its moves, while other options like Kartana & Tapu Lele appreciate the Pokemon that Mega Latios weakens, for example.
Always forget to check that. Oops

Haven't played competitive since XY, but have been following the meta for a bit. Surprised to see so many staples like Latias, Scizor and Gliscor in UU. Now, some Pokes like Gliscor is listed at A- in the Viability thread, while Skarmory (OU) is listed at B-. Any reasons why a more viable Pokemon would be used less than a less viable one? Is it because of role redundancy?

And why is Scizor no longer listed in the Viability list? Has the meta changed that much to the point where it's no longer viable? I'd imagine it's at least better than Lycanroc-Dusk.

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
is a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Haven't played competitive since XY, but have been following the meta for a bit. Surprised to see so many staples like Latias, Scizor and Gliscor in UU. Now, some Pokes like Gliscor is listed at A- in the Viability thread, while Skarmory (OU) is listed at B-. Any reasons why a more viable Pokemon would be used less than a less viable one? Is it because of role redundancy?

And why is Scizor no longer listed in the Viability list? Has the meta changed that much to the point where it's no longer viable? I'd imagine it's at least better than Lycanroc-Dusk.
The tapus have brought lots of change to the meta, playing a significant role in making mons that were once powerful not viable anymore, an example being Garchomp. Regular Scizor is almost never used in OU, as Mega Scizor gets more opportunities to set up, defog, roost, etc, and regular Scizor just falls short. Mega Scizor's defensive and attacking stats just make it so superior to regular Scizor. So many things in the OU meta OHKO/2HKO regular Scizor with such ease that it's just a waste of a slot on a team at this point. One might as well run Mega Scizor and make a team around that than have a regular Scizor on their team, which is a wasted slot for the reasons I wrote above.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Ladder is not always the best representation of the metagame. Skarmory is only really used on some stalls and even then, it isn’t too common. Gliscor is actually viable in various archetypes and very effective in Defogging and being an actual check to Magma Storm Heatran. Truth be told, there is very little reason to use Skarmory right not whereas there are numerous reasons to use Gliscor.

Nobody has used regular Scizor and it’s not really bulky enough, especially when compared to other viable Steels, especially Mega Scizor. It also doesn’t check things like Tapu Lele or Kartana, which you’d want something in that slot to handle fairly well on most teams.

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
OUPL Champion
Although Lycanroc-Dusk is not a pivotal pokemon in the OU metagame, it at least has a niche of being able to use Z-Celebrate and Rock priority. Regular Scizor has no niche or advantage whatsoever when compared to Mega Scizor or other viable steel types.

Ah so the discrepancy for Gliscor and Skarmory is similar to Gen V Infernape being OU? And powercreep made Scizor not bulky enough for OU.

Although Lycanroc-Dusk is not a pivotal pokemon in the OU metagame, it at least has a niche of being able to use Z-Celebrate and Rock priority. Regular Scizor has no niche or advantage whatsoever when compared to Mega Scizor or other viable steel types.
That's not its niche sir. Read its analysis, I wrote it, and used Lycanroc-Dusk, and I can assure u its trash and would advice not using it at all.

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
OUPL Champion
That's not its niche sir. Read its analysis, I wrote it, and used Lycanroc-Dusk, and I can assure u its trash and would advice not using it at all.
Mb, disregard that statement, I was thinking about something else while writing that so it didn't exactly come out like I wanted it to. What I said is definitely NOT it's niche lol, and I wasn't trying to say that Lycanroc-Dusk is good in OU either, because it's surely not.

Is there any particular reason why Raikou’s analysis doesn’t even mention Inner Focus? It’s not even listed as a potential ability.

Edit: You’re right. It has a UU one and not an OU one. Probably should’ve checked that. My bad

Last edited:
Is there any particular reason why Raikou’s analysis doesn’t even mention Inner Focus? It’s not even listed as a potential ability.
Because Pressure is a lot better, especially with Substitute. Also, Raikou doesn't even have an OU analysis so i think that ur asking the wrong sub forum.

what set does tyranitar use when paired with sand exca?
Also if I want a rocker, is hippo or tyranitard better for BO?
and lastly is smooth rock worth it at all ?

what set does tyranitar use when paired with sand exca?
Whatever the team needs, both SR Mega Tyranitar and Choice Band Tyranitar work.
Also if I want a rocker, is hippo or tyranitard better for BO?
Once again, whatever the team needs, tho Hippowdon is generally better at keeping sand up consistently.
and lastly is smooth rock worth it at all ?
No.

Last edited:

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Lately I've been intrigued by Flyinium Z Landorus-T. What would be some good teammates for it?
From: http://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/pokemon/landorus-therian/

Team Options
Pokemon that appreciate bulky Grass-types gone such as Ash-Greninja, Zygarde, and Keldeo are good teammates because Landorus-T is easily able to bait them in and remove them. Late-game cleaners such as Mega Alakazam, offensive Trick Room Magearna, and Choice Scarf Garchomp find it much easier to clean up after Landorus-T heavily wears down defensive cores. Because Landorus-T often attracts Water-types such as Ash Greninja and Keldeo, Assault Vest Tangrowth and Magearna are both good options in order to safely pivot into their STAB attacks. Amoonguss and Toxapex are also good choices on bulkier builds. Spikes support isn't necessary but really appreciated, as it can potentially turn Landorus-T's 2HKOs into OHKOs and punishes Pokemon that may attempt to check Landorus-T. Greninja is a strong offensive user of Spikes that appreciates Landorus-T's ability to soften up Celesteela, while Ferrothorn can switch into Water-type attacks from the likes of Ash-Greninja, as well as Tapu Koko, which can revenge kill a weakened Landorus-T with Hidden Power Ice. U-turn and Volt Switch is very helpful for getting in Landorus-T safely and preserving its health. Ash-Greninja, Tapu Koko, and Rotom-W are all solid options, with the added advantage of baiting in Grass-types for Landorus-T to scare out.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Lately I've been intrigued by Flyinium Z Landorus-T. What would be some good teammates for it?
It beats a lot of the bulky grasses so try to go for mons that struggle with them. For example, it actually can fit on rain quite decently. In turn though it has less coverage - it really only has EQ and one reliable flying type move, while Gravity lasts a short amount of time. Thus you'd try to find an answer to celesteela and the sort

and just now I get sniped :(

Whats the point of Gliscor still running 244 HP EV instead of 252? I know it hits a PH number but it's not like as if you are healing more with 244 than 252. Wasn't it only a thing from back when Gliscor used to run sub so 2 turns = 1 more sub? Literally no other Pokemon from what I recall cuts on HP EVs just to reach a lower leftovers number.

Last edited:

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Whats the point of Gliscor still running 244 HP EV instead of 252? I know it hits a PH number but it's not like as if you are healing more with 244 than 252. Wasn't it only a thing from back when Gliscor used to run sub so 2 turns = 1 more sub? Literally no other Pokemon from what I recall cuts on HP EVs just to reach a lower leftovers number.
It's a minor optimization, but being able to invest the extra in SpDef means that each point of health you recover has more bulk associated with it. Distributing the 8 extra hp evs into your defenses means that while you recover the same base hp you would with 252 hp evs, you get more defensive power back.

Also matters for calcs like:
0- SpA Landorus-Therian Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 144 SpD Gliscor: 176-208 (49.7 - 58.7%) -- 10.9% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal
0- SpA Landorus-Therian Hidden Power Ice vs. 244 HP / 152 SpD Gliscor: 172-204 (48.8 - 57.9%) -- 6.3% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)