Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Why is Salazzle in RU? And why do most of her sets have Oblivious instead of Corrosion? I mean, I know Oblivious helps you avoid Taunts and help you set up Nasty Plot, but I think Corrosion is lightyears better! Besides, Corrosion helps against Toxapex.

Why is Salazzle in RU? And why do most of her sets have Oblivious instead of Corrosion? I mean, I know Oblivious helps you avoid Taunts and help you set up Nasty Plot, but I think Corrosion is lightyears better! Besides, Corrosion helps against Toxapex.
Among other reasons, salazzle is hard walled by Heatran, the best pokemon in the tier, and is just an underwhelming attacker in general. The stab combo is pretty good, but the coverage is weak and it is required to set up before attacking which is hard to do because it's very frail.
Corrosion would help against toxapex in allowing you to toxic it, but since pex is OU salazzle will never need to do that in RU.

What mon is better, lando-t or heatran?
Also, how good is scarf tran nowadays?
Both Lando-T & Tran are amazing rn, but which is better is only matter of preferences. Basically is versatility (Lando-T) VS effectiveness (Heatran) (altrough both are certainly versatile & effective at their roles).
About scarf Tran, it lacks firepower to break trou' checks like Steelium Z can, cannot trap & remove chansey like Z-move/Utility can, nor setting rocks, nor stallbreak succesfully. It can nab surprise KOs, but is deadweigh afterwards.

Last edited:
What mon is better, lando-t or heatran?
Also, how good is scarf tran nowadays?
If we had to put 'em in a vacuum, Lando-T would be significantly better since it can fit on basically any archetype barring Stall and has an array of different sets that can quite literally pressure every single archetype. That said, though Lando-T is "better" in practice, since it gets a good amount of usage, Heatran possesses a fantastic movepool and defensive typing - as well as a few of the things, such as Stealth Rock and access to an array of good Z-move options to beat its other checks, that make Lando-T good - that lets it severely threaten Stall whilst still having a notable offensive presence.

Scarf Tran is its worst set. It's not really BAD, per se, but its Z-move and defensive/utility sets are significantly better and are why Heatran is tiered alongside Lando and soon Zygarde as well: they can compress tons of roles and they're diverse as all hell.

So basically, to answer your first question in full: Lando-T gets the most usage but neither Lando-T nor Heatran are bad. They're both top-tier for a reason and are tiered identically for a reason.

Is Feint worth a damn on terrain sweeper hawlucha, or no?
Definitely not, most protect users can be predicted around by using SD and most protect users can't do anything to hawlucha anyways. Besides where would you put it? Over Drain Punch? Hawlucha needs the recovery to heal off weakened threats and patch up its hp from sneaky pebbles or priority, the only moves hawlucha could be running over drain punch are poison jab to hit fairies harder, and stone edge which gets rid of zapdos and can troll torn-t and regular gyarados but even then drain punch looks better in practice.

On the topic of hawlucha, what team mates might a core of hawlucha, lele, volc, and alakazam-mega make use of?

Definitely not, most protect users can be predicted around by using SD and most protect users can't do anything to hawlucha anyways. Besides where would you put it? Over Drain Punch? Hawlucha needs the recovery to heal off weakened threats and patch up its hp from sneaky pebbles or priority, the only moves hawlucha could be running over drain punch are poison jab to hit fairies harder, and stone edge which gets rid of zapdos and can troll torn-t and regular gyarados but even then drain punch looks better in practice.

On the topic of hawlucha, what team mates might a core of hawlucha, lele, volc, and alakazam-mega make use of?
I was more thinking of Feint as a way to hit proority users. Maybe using it with HJK, Acrobatics, and SD

I was more thinking of Feint as a way to hit proority users. Maybe using it with HJK, Acrobatics, and SD
+2 252+ Atk Hawlucha Feint vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 79-94 (27.7 - 32.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+2 252+ Atk Hawlucha Feint vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Pinsir-Mega: 49-58 (18 - 21.4%) -- possible 5HKO
+2 252+ Atk Hawlucha Feint vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dragonite: 60-71 (18.5 - 21.9%) -- possible 5HKO

Feint won't accomplish much vs common priority users. If you're worried about Ash Greninja in particular, you can run Lele over Koko -- while Psurge won't block priority vs. Haw, Psychic Seed will boost Hawlucha's Special Defense, which lets Hawlucha take Water Shuriken more comfortably.

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Water Shuriken (15 BP) (5 hits) vs. +1 152 HP / 8 SpD Hawlucha: 155-185 (46.2 - 55.2%) -- approx. 79.3% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Water Shuriken (20 BP) (3 hits) vs. +1 152 HP / 8 SpD Hawlucha: 162-192 (48.3 - 57.3%) -- approx. 96.9% chance to 2HKO

Out of curiosity, is there a difference between offensive teams and hyper offensive teams?

Also, what is bulky offense?
Offensive teams are just incorporate both bulky Offense and Hyper Offense. The difference between Bulky Offense and Hyper Offense is simple. Bulky Offense tends to have 2-3 "pivots". These are mons that switch to certain threats safely and deal with that said mon. They also must be able to provide momentum to the team through being not passive (meaning they basically must have volt turn or a decently high atk or sp atk stat). This means that bulky offense usually has 4 or 5 offensive mons while HO has 5 or 6 offensive mons.

Last edited:
Offensive teams are just incorporate both bulky Offense and Hyper Offense. The difference between Bulky Offense and Hyper Offense is simple. Bulky Offense tends to have 2-3 "pivots". These are mons that switch to certain threats safely and deal with that said mon. They also must be able to provide momentum to the team through being not passive (meaning they basically must have volt turn or a decently high atk or sp atk stat). This means that bulky offense usually has 4 or 5 offensive mons while HO has 5 or 6 offensive mons.
What kinds of Pokemon are on bulky offense? What kinds of Pokemon are on hyper offense?

What is the SpDef Excadrill set and why do people use it?
Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 216 SpD / 40 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Toxic / Iron Head

Enough Speed for Max Adamant Tyranitar, rest in bulk. Toxic hits Zapdos, Torn, Lando etc. which is what most people run, but Iron Head I think is still decent for CM Clef weak teams.

It's used because of the role compression it provides - bulky steel + ground, hazard setter and hazard remover all in one slot, it's a great check to stuff like Koko and Clef and it can reliably get rocks up vs Stall.

Edit: I've seen kory run a 76 Jolly variant to outspeed Modest Heatran, so you could try that out if you want.

Last edited:
What's the role of Ferrothorn on the sample Avalugg/Moltres stall team? It doesn't really seem to take on additional threats that the rest of the team can't handle, so wouldn't something like SpDef Celesteela (to take on Lele), AV Tyranitar (to take on Lele and sub CM Blacephalon), or Toxapex (to take on Blacephalon and niche CM Stored Power Clefable sets + provide T-Spikes) be superior options over Ferrothorn? You'd have to put rocks on Chansey in this case, but what does the team lose by losing confide in favour of rocks on the Chansey?

Ferro Stall.PNG

With this team, Ferro's job is to one set up rocks. This allows chancey to run confide allowing it to check special attakers like serp, hoopa, lele, blaceph, etc. Ferro also deals with LO Kyurem pretty well as kyurems are choosing to Earth power. Avalugg may seem like it can deal with kyurem, but it gets 2hkoed by any kyurems EP after rocks. Then also, ferro is another check to ash gren as well as non firefang versions of mawille. You can adjust the team to your liking of course no matter what tho. But yeah, stall teams are always gonna be weak to some stall breaker no matter what. This was just this person's preference.
Edit: Sorry Forgot to quote
What's the role of Ferrothorn on the sample Avalugg/Moltres stall team? It doesn't really seem to take on additional threats that the rest of the team can't handle, so wouldn't something like SpDef Celesteela (to take on Lele), AV Tyranitar (to take on Lele and sub CM Blacephalon), or Toxapex (to take on Blacephalon and niche CM Stored Power Clefable sets + provide T-Spikes) be superior options over Ferrothorn? You'd have to put rocks on Chansey in this case, but what does the team lose by losing confide in favour of rocks on the Chansey?

Last edited:

david0895

Mercy Main Btw
Sometimes, i see people say that Hawlucha is broken and effectively, even the analysis says that there's not a guaranteed check or counter (outside the obvious Zapdos ), since it can bypass Will-o-wisp with more SD, Leech Seed with Roost and tank priority with the seeds.
Btw what should i say to them? (a.k.a. i'll screen and send the answers)

Sometimes, i see people say that Hawlucha is broken and effectively, even the analysis says that there's not a guaranteed check or counter (outside the obvious Zapdos ), since it can bypass Will-o-wisp with more SD, Leech Seed with Roost and tank priority with the seeds.
Btw what should i say to them? (a.k.a. i'll screen and send the answers)
Alright, Ill try my best
1. It only gets unburden once
Due to the fact it only gets unburden once, it cant chip away at it checks. It requires other mons must due it for them. It also is super susceptible to fazing and status as it cant switch out.
2. It has more viable checks than just zapdos
stuff like clef, mew, koko, flyium z lando, glare zygarde, rotom-w, water shuriken gren, toxapex, rocky helment torn, mag with bulk, reuni, skarm, both thundurus forms, pyuk are all great checks to hawlucha. Its not just zapdos. In order for Hawlucha to put in work, all of these checks must be weakened, or the Hawlucha has a niche coverage move over roost.
3. It has decent dead-weight potential
If the Hawlucha goes against clef, mew, zapdos it cant go in unless these mons are severly weakened. And if the mew has will-o or clef has twave, it puts it in an even worse situation.
4. Needs A lot of team support
Since Hawlucha cant do much unless its checks/counters are severely weakened, it needs those mons to weaken those mons for them. On top of this, Hawlucha needs tapu support. This means that u must keep 2 mons alive if you want to use hawlucha and make sure its not deadweight.
5. Needs roost and SD
Hawlucha has good coverage moves, but it needs to run sd plus roost. If not, this leaves hawlucha susceptible to priority moves from mons like zygarde, ash gren, M Lop, etc. Also running psychic terrain doesnt stop this as Hawlucha is unaffected by psychic terrian. This also makes it so Zapdos is a complete counter.

So yeah that is my best argument I could put forth right now. Ill edit if anyone feels like Im missing something

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
What're some possible team mates for a core consisting of ribombee, flynium z gyara, and serp? I'm hoping for the team to be offense or balance
That type of team would definitely be a more hyper offensive type of build; you'd likely want to have a suicide lead Stealth Rock setter like Landorus-Therian and then other scattered win-conditions such as Shift Gear Magearna or Dragon Dance Zygarde.

That type of team would definitely be a more hyper offensive type of build; you'd likely want to have a suicide lead Stealth Rock setter like Landorus-Therian and then other scattered win-conditions such as Shift Gear Magearna or Dragon Dance Zygarde.
Would there be any real way to place some pivots on the team or something? Mons that can take hits so I don't have to rely on sacing mons in order to get by without being set up on or being blown to pieces?

Guess I should also ask my other question about a core, so I don't double post:
What are some good team mates for a core of volc, lele, and mega alakazam?

Would there be any real way to place some pivots on the team or something? Mons that can take hits so I don't have to rely on sacing mons in order to get by without being set up on or being blown to pieces?

Guess I should also ask my other question about a core, so I don't double post:
What are some good team mates for a core of volc, lele, and mega alakazam?
For the first question, running a team like that is not practical for Bee. You dont want to run pivots on HO. I would recommend running balance or bulky offense.
For the second question, you would need a defogger so Volc doesn't have to take 50 from rocks. Then I would also recommend running scarfer faster than volc since you cant rely on priority cause of psychic terrain. Then also have pivots to deal with lele and zams offensive checks. Also make sure you have an answer to celesteela besides volc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)