Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Offensive teams normally use Healing Wish users. Doesn't suck up your momentum in comparison to another support cleric move. If it's important to use Heal Bell you're better off reworking the structure of your team to not be dictated by a certain playstyle.

Clefable gets it , but it's as trash as it sounds.

Is there a viable way to run a move like Heal Bell on an offensive team? I am tired of Scald burns and such crippling my Pokémon.
Both Mega Lopunny and Mega Diancie get it and can use it when the opponent switches. But I wouldn't go all the way to fit it on my Mega unless it already is on the team.

Like AM said, on offense you are better off using Healing wish as it doesn't get rid of your momentum

Hi, was told to come here by a Mod.

I want to make two Pokemon teams that allow for equal counterplay opportunities. Two teams that when given to two players of equal skill, will win 50/50.

My good friend loves Pokemon, but isn't the best battler yet. I want to play with him in a setting where he has an equal shot as me (based on team composition)
I'm a fair battler, but not a good team builder. I often will copy a Team of the Week to go play on the ladder with.

If any one has built such teams, I would love to know about them. But failing that, I would love some help doing this. How should I start? Do I choose a two cores that counter each other? Should I pick each Pokemon one-at-a-time, with each pick countering the last? Any thoughts would be helpful.

Hi, was told to come here by a Mod.

I want to make two Pokemon teams that allow for equal counterplay opportunities. Two teams that when given to two players of equal skill, will win 50/50.

My good friend loves Pokemon, but isn't the best battler yet. I want to play with him in a setting where he has an equal shot as me (based on team composition)
I'm a fair battler, but not a good team builder. I often will copy a Team of the Week to go play on the ladder with.

If any one has built such teams, I would love to know about them. But failing that, I would love some help doing this. How should I start? Do I choose a two cores that counter each other? Should I pick each Pokemon one-at-a-time, with each pick countering the last? Any thoughts would be helpful.
First, couldnt you battle eachother with the same team?
However, id say your best bet is a team that utilizes similar cores, and is the same playstyle, for example both balance or both a bulky offense.

First, couldnt you battle eachother with the same team?
However, id say your best bet is a team that utilizes similar cores, and is the same playstyle, for example both balance or both a bulky offense.
That's actually a hell of an idea...
I think I will actually try that.

But I'm still interested in trying to make two different-but-equal teams.

That's actually a hell of an idea...
I think I will actually try that.

But I'm still interested in trying to make two different-but-equal teams.
Honestly I think its near impossible to do so. But look, how basically everyone in this site got better was by losing a lot. So I woudnt worry about it as its a learning experience. I guess u could show him sample teams. TBH thats probably the best way.

Is the 224HP/216SpD/68Spe Bulu EV spread worth using over the 248/8Def/252SpD? I feel that the former is better with SD 'cause the extra speed, while the latter work best with Bulk Up.
Also, is the 222 Spe bentchmark still worth to hit? Nobody uses 252 Spe Adamant Ttar anymore.

Is the 224HP/216SpD/68Spe Bulu EV spread worth using over the 248/8Def/252SpD? I feel that the former is better with SD 'cause the extra speed, while the latter work best with Bulk Up.
Also, is the 222 Spe bentchmark still worth to hit? Nobody uses 252 Spe Adamant Ttar anymore.
No not really, 68 speed is purely to outspeed the 176 Adamant Ttar spread that was on analysis a while back, which isn't really run anymore as 1. A more efficient spread was found to hit the same benchmark as 80 hp did (living a +1 buzz from volc) and 2. There honestly isn't much reason to hit that benchmark anymore considering the majority are Z Bug Buzz and can just blow you away with that anyway. Me and many others just run max speed Adamant Tar now to just avoid the speed creeping people try to do over the 176 spread. This follows onto your second question - yes it's still worth hitting as people are running 252 Ada Ttar.

Why did Heliolisk go from UU to NU?
IDK if this is the right place to ask, but Ill answer this anyway. If we look at UU, we can see that there are 2 electric types there were not there last gen. Raikou and M Man. Both those outclass heliolisk so thats why he is not in UU. In RU, Im not 100% sure why helio is not used more often, but I think rotom-h and rotom-c have an impact on that. You would probably have to ask the RU room to ask that question. But yeah, that why its not in UU like it was in ORAS.

the moltres ev spread on the stall sample team by ultraballz (208 hp / 60 def / 240 spe) whats the hp and def for? i know the speed is for jolly exca

the moltres ev spread on the stall sample team by ultraballz (208 hp / 60 def / 240 spe) whats the hp and def for? i know the speed is for jolly exca
It eats one Thunder Punch from Mega Mawile from full. This is crucial because Moltres can eat the hit and Roost off the damage since its Flying type is removed. Moltres can OHKO it with Flamethrower once it has recovered sufficiently.

252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Thunder Punch vs. 208 HP / 60 Def Moltres: 316-372 (84.7 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Moltres Flamethrower vs. 40 HP / 0 SpD Mawile-Mega: 246-290 (98 - 115.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

I was wondering what the mega mawile’s hp evs on the abr sample team is for along with 8 hp evs and 4 def evs on scarf magnezone? i think it’s for zone to live kart’s sacred sword after sr damage but you only need 4 hp and 4 def to live that so i’m not exactly sure

I was wondering what the mega mawile’s hp evs on the abr sample team is for along with 8 hp evs and 4 def evs on scarf magnezone? i think it’s for zone to live kart’s sacred sword after sr damage but you only need 4 hp and 4 def to live that so i’m not exactly sure
An extra 4 HP evs is added to Magnezone to take less damage from hazards (282 takes more hazard damage than 283) and the HP is so you guaranteed live a +1 HJK from Hawlucha after Rocks.

Hey guys! I've been out of competitive mons for a while but I think I wanna get back into it. I know in previous gens there was a threat to post replays of games so people could help you figure out how to improve as a battler. I didn't see one now, but is that something that could potentially happen?

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Hey guys! I've been out of competitive mons for a while but I think I wanna get back into it. I know in previous gens there was a threat to post replays of games so people could help you figure out how to improve as a battler. I didn't see one now, but is that something that could potentially happen?
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/after-action-report-v2.3631095/

It's dead and ended up on Page 2 because no one really uses it, but it exists and it's still open.

If I were to drop one move from rocky helmet Tornadus-T in favour of Taunt, should I drop knock off or U-Turn? Right now my team is 6-0'd by Reuniculus, but having Taunt would make the matchup far more conducive but at the cost of some utility.

The team it's on already has knock-off on Mega-Scizor, but I find Tornadus using it more often as I normally use Tornadus in the early game. But I also pivot out a lot with U-Turn, especially when trying to PP stall Heatran's magma storm.

So, I love using trash mons in OU, and the next one I want to use is Raikou. Does anyone know of any potentially niche OU Raikou movesets?

Yes, I'm aware of a thing called Tapu Koko.

So, I love using trash mons in OU, and the next one I want to use is Raikou. Does anyone know of any potentially niche OU Raikou movesets?

Yes, I'm aware of a thing called Tapu Koko.
Raikou @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball
Can check things like Char-Y, both Greninjas if doesn't switch directly, Tornadus-T, Tapu Fini and Keldeo, but outside of that, is pretty useless compared to even Manectric-M.

I have been 'playing' OU for a while, relying on dex analyses, metagame discussion posts from experienced users, and tournament replays to get teambuilding going and understand the tier better. While I enjoy playing / watching OU games and I fully acknowledge it as the most popular tier in Smogon, I personally struggled to keep up with the metagame state.

This is partially because I don't necessarily main OU on a consistent basis, but I feel like the metagame trend is quite volatile. A few months ago when USM came out, I just stuck to casual ashgren teams with some Spikes support to get things going. A month later, I see Gastrodon (I know why this Pokemon is relevant but) and other niche Pokemon that rose to OU by usage today, and after a while, some Pokemon rise to S rank on VR, drop, and go back and forth. I came back recently to see Mega Alakazam being one of the best Mega Pokemon at this point.

How should I view OU? Is it a tier that trends tend to be so volatile and is based on a new Pokemon checking an existing threat, becoming a prominent threat itself, and causing introduction of unpopular / niche / unviable Pokemon to rise, and just having this cycle repeated? If not, what view on OU will help me keep up with metagame that changes quite frequently?

I apologize in advance because this is not a simple question at all, but I felt like I'm definitely not the only person who has the aforementioned concern when attempting to actually learn OU. I know the community is a good place where entry barrier is non-existent, but I am seeking a way to get competitively better. Thanks.

How should I view OU? Is it a tier that trends tend to be so volatile and is based on a new Pokemon checking an existing threat, becoming a prominent threat itself, and causing introduction of unpopular / niche / unviable Pokemon to rise, and just having this cycle repeated? If not, what view on OU will help me keep up with metagame that changes quite frequently?
The form I view the OU tier is almost the same way you described it. An volatile Metagame which resolves around a bunch of prominents treats where a 'mon can pass from "Niche" to "Meta trend" because the presence or absence of another prominent 'mon, or new sets popping out. Example of this are Hydreigon, who is rising in usage thanks to Ash Gren, Fat Psychics like Reuniclus & Tran being so good, Mega Mawile, who enjoys the fact that Stall is gaining traction, Tapu Bulu with it's Special Bulky SD Set, the Avalugg + Moltres Stall team (able to handle Zyg, most of Tran's Z-Crystal sets and MMaw, who can completly destroy Stall), and Blacephalon with the rise of Hyper Offense and the SubCM Set being discovered.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)