Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

What advantages does Thundurus-Therian have over other electric-types such as Tapu Koko?
Although I am personally not a fan of Thundurus-T at all, it has an easier time as a breaker than Tapu Koko. Notably, its access to Nasty Plot allows it to break down teams really quickly. To add onto that, Hidden Power Flying allows it to break Grass-types immediately, which Tapu Koko can't really do, considering that it can almost never afford to run (Flyinium Z)Brave Bird. Lastly, there's Volt Absorb, which turns it into a Tapu Koko check on its own and its immunity to Ground-type attacks can be quite useful too.

When creating a team and looking at the A ranked and above threats how far down the rankings (b rank,c rank,etc.) should you go before the pokemon become irrelevant compared to the top ranked threats?

When creating a team and looking at the A ranked and above threats how far down the rankings (b rank,c rank,etc.) should you go before the pokemon become irrelevant compared to the top ranked threats?
It depends in what context. If you're looking at viability of Pokemon for your own team, generally I wouldn't use anything below B rank unless you have a very clear reason and it fills a niche that you have identified, for example using Mega-Gallade over Medicham, because the use of Knock-Off and 10 extra base speed is necessary for some specific threats.

If you're wondering because you're trying to beat the "relevant" mons with a team you're building , I'd recommend checking out the usage stats here instead. You can see that some Pokemon have much higher usage than ranking (Mimikyu) or used much less (Reuniclus). You can see exactly how often they are used and therefore their relevancy.

It depends in what context. If you're looking at viability of Pokemon for your own team, generally I wouldn't use anything below B rank unless you have a very clear reason and it fills a niche that you have identified, for example using Mega-Gallade over Medicham, because the use of Knock-Off and 10 extra base speed is necessary for some specific threats.

If you're wondering because you're trying to beat the "relevant" mons with a team you're building , I'd recommend checking out the usage stats here instead. You can see that some Pokemon have much higher usage than ranking (Mimikyu) or used much less (Reuniclus). You can see exactly how often they are used and therefore their relevancy.
Awesome I'll definitely look at those usage stats thanks for the info much appreciated

What exactly has caused the rise in usage of Kommo-o in OU? It moved up to here in the recent tier shifts so that's why I'm asking. Is it an actually viable mon or a noob trap?
it is viable, not outstanding but surely viable, but the rise in usage was most likely due to the fact that ladder seems to have a bit of a bias for offensive mons. and honestly, kommo-o's been trending a lot these last few months so its no surprise to see it rise i'd say

What exactly has caused the rise in usage of Kommo-o in OU? It moved up to here in the recent tier shifts so that's why I'm asking. Is it an actually viable mon or a noob trap?
It compresses quite a few potential roles that more offensively-inclined teams really appreciate because Kommo-O has one hell of a nice movepool that lets it run quite a few viable sets. Apparently it has a niche on Stall teams as well or something? I've legit never seen the SpDef set used on a team like that before, despite the analysis saying it fits on said teams, so IDK though.

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Is there a reason why they only have the usage stats for 1695 in gen 7 OU right now?
Not sure specifically, but those are the only usage statistics we really take seriously or use for anything given that lower than that is not too reliable.
The stats that determine tier shifts are run first so tier shifts can be announced on time, then all other weightings are run once tier shifts are determined (the other weightings for March are on site now).

bigtalk

Banned deucer.
Couple of questions about the standard rain team. Why are there 29 Speed IVs on Ferro? Also why the choice of Steelium Z on Magearna as opposed to something else (ie. Fightinium Z which would lure Ferrothorn for teammates).

Mod edit: Moved from sample teams to sqsa.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Couple of questions about the standard rain team. Why are there 29 Speed IVs on Ferro? Also why the choice of Steelium Z on Magearna as opposed to something else (ie. Fightinium Z which would lure Ferrothorn for teammates).
This is better assigned to the Simple Questions, Simple Answers thread. But i'll answer one of them. Magearna runs Steelium Z to deal with Fairy types much easier, although fairium Z finds incredible nuking power.

Katy

Banned deucer.
What are some little to no risk situations in which Koko can Roost?
You can Roost on pokemon, which Tapu Koko naturally forces out. Pokemon like Celesteela don't like a Thunderbolt from Tapu Koko so they most likely going to switch out, so you have a chance to Roost up with your Koko. Same mention goes for Tornadus-Therian.
Pokemon like Toxapex also don't like Tapu Koko. You can bring Koko in safely with the help from slow Volt-turn and then use these pkmn basically as "Roost fodder", so your Koko is healthy again.

Why is Terrakion C+? I mean, I like Terrakion and all but I was wondering what niche it had to justify C+. I barely see it so I wouldn't know

Why is Terrakion C+? I mean, I like Terrakion and all but I was wondering what niche it had to justify C+. I barely see it so I wouldn't know
it's not used very often but it's still a nice breaker, especially with rock resists being so scarce. it can sd on forced switches and bop pex and lando with z-move, its an okay rocker and it can also punish the likes of ash-greninja and choice scarf landorus-t with protect. if you protect on a dark pulse or spike from the former or a u-turn or defog from the latter you can just stay in.

Would you say that you need a ground type on every team? I ask cos I'm kind of bored of using Lando/Chomp/Gliscor on every team lol. If it's not necessary, how would you best build around that? Thanks.

Would you say that you need a ground type on every team? I ask cos I'm kind of bored of using Lando/Chomp/Gliscor on every team lol. If it's not necessary, how would you best build around that? Thanks.
They're very helpful in the resistances and utility they tend to bring to the table and we have a lot of good ground-types, but they're not mandatory. If you have a very solid Koko check and cover all the bases a team should then you should be fine

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Adding onto what was said above, othing in SM OU is really "mandatory" for the most part when teambuilding. However, I find it very difficult to justify going groundless outside of very specific archetypes, otherwise Specs Volt Switch Tapu Koko can just click Volt Switch for free every time it comes in with nothing to punish it and can be devastating combined with the right wallbreakers. Obviously, some really offensive teams that can pressure Tapu Koko and limit its ability to switch in and hard stalls that don't mind losing the momentum can exist without Ground-types, teams just aren't usually optimal going groundless otherwise.

yeah i fully agree with mannat, only instance i'd consider going groundless would be if i had like a regen grass-type like amoong or tang, because they can at least tank volt and regen back, but the momentum loss is still terrible, especially because koko teams often pack something to pressure grass-types anyway. so yeah, wouldn't recommend going groundless 99% of the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)