Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

I have a huge question, in ubers, and overused Shedninja is c, like how Lugia in ubers is d, my post in the Uu forums got deleted for saying why Shedninja in Overused, and Ubers is in c(Why use Tangrowth, and Mandibuzz), Latias, Aegislash, Salamence, and Thunderus-therian fell to Uu, yet Whitequeen is getting a lot of likes.

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...nking-thread-see-page-53.3674058/post-9003682

"
Arctovish: NR —> B-

Don’t knock Arctovish until you’ve used it or been swept by one. It’s definitely Walmart Dracovish, but Arctovish’s ridiculous Fishious Rend still OHKO or 2HKO most commonly seen Pokemon in OU.

Of course, Arctovish is only viable pairing with Ninetales, very much like how Arctozolt became a threat itself under hail. Some people thought Zolt was a joke initially as well and look how that turned out… "

I’m a little confused on your questions. I interpreted and answered them below:

• “Why is Shedinja C rank in OU and Ubers?”

It has a niche in OU because it can fit in stall teams to beat a variety of dangerous offensive pokemon, including Tapu Lele, Urshifu-R, and Kyurem. This is the wrong forum to ask about its niche in Ubers, but to save you the trouble it’s probably for similar reasons. Kyogre is never going to get past it, for example.

• “What uses do Tangrowth and Mandibuzz have in UU?”

I don’t know, but UU would. You can ask their forum or read about them on the smogon dex.

• “Why are Latias, Aegislash, Salamence, and Thunderus-Therian in UU rather than OU?”

They aren’t getting enough usage to be OU. Why? Latias isn’t as useful defensively as it was in past generations, Aegislash’s stats got nerfed and it’s slower and weaker than other top ghosts like Dragapult and Blacephalon, respectively, Salamence has never been OU because it’s DD sets aren’t consistently good against OU’s mons, and Thundurus-Therian also has never been OU and lacks speed, a usable special Flying move, and ice coverage (no more HP Ice) and is walled by Blissey.

• “Why is WhiteQueen’s comment getting a lot of likes?”

People agreed with WhiteQueen’s statement that Arctovish is more useful in OU than is commonly thought because of the traits listed. Also WhiteQueen is a really good player and people tend to give top players’ opinions more consideration, and in turn more likes. As a mediocre player, if I were the person who posted that then it wouldn’t get nearly as much attention.

• “Why were any of these questions banned in the UU forum?”

The only questions related to UU were the ones about Tangrowth and Mandibuzz’s uses and, arguably, why certain mons were in UU rather than OU. If you asked them more than just these questions then I can see why. Also I noticed you didn’t explicitly state that you posted them in UU’s equivalent SQSA thread. If you posted an entirely new thread there without moderator approval then it would automatically get removed regardless of the post’s content. That’s how the forum rules work in general.

I hope that helped. Please correct me if I misinterpreted any of your questions.

I was seeing this nasty Block/Curse/Darkest Lariat/Rest Snorlax set in the NU thread the other day and that got me thinking. Would a similar set be viable in OU. After some thinking, I don't think any kind of Block+set up set is viable in OU for physical set-uppers, because of 1. Sacred Sword Kartana and 2. Surging Strike Urshifu both negating physical boosts in defense. But then, how about special set-uppers. Does something like

:ss/slowbro: @ Leftovers

Bold nature
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 HPs / 252 Def / 4 Spe
-Block
-Rest
-Scald
-Calm Mind

seem remotely viable? Oblivious over Regenerator because it blocks Taunt, meaning you can set up with a Blocked Tapu Fini/Heatran and laugh at them.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I was seeing this nasty Block/Curse/Darkest Lariat/Rest Snorlax set in the NU thread the other day and that got me thinking. Would a similar set be viable in OU. After some thinking, I don't think any kind of Block+set up set is viable in OU for physical set-uppers, because of 1. Sacred Sword Kartana and 2. Surging Strike Urshifu both negating physical boosts in defense. But then, how about special set-uppers. Does something like

:ss/slowbro: @ Leftovers

Bold nature
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 HPs / 252 Def / 4 Spe
-Block
-Rest
-Scald
-Calm Mind

seem remotely viable? Oblivious over Regenerator because it blocks Taunt, meaning you can set up with a Blocked Tapu Fini/Heatran and laugh at them.
You would still want Regenerator on this to have some semblance of viability when not sweeping — it still can pivot and threaten with Scald with Regenerator decently enough — CM Fini has a lot of chances to crit you and TauntWhirl Fini is dying out anyway, so it’s just healthy TauntToxic Heatran you have to fear.

Overall this is likely viable, but fringe and inconsistent. I would only use it on bulkier teams, too, as the momentum and Future Sight is too valuable to pass up otherwise.

Got it to work: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1435855977
I just took Omari P's Glastrier RMT and switched Glastrier for Slowbro. I did need Oblivious for that one. And against Heatran the play is exacting too, since Earth Power does 25% at +0 and you'll suffer 3 of these + 1/16 *3 of (Magma Storm - Leftovers). But yeah, it needs a dedicated team, and it's a momentum sink. I think it's quite the stallbreaker, though. You can trap and 1vs1 Blissey, Toxapex, Skarmory, Quagsire (PP stall through Rest)...

Does anyone know of any Sun teams that have either had good ladder ranks or tournament play BESIDES what what was already posted in the RMT forum? I know Sun is less used than Hail or Sand ATM but I can't find many examples.

Who can work in a good core with 4 attack HDB Volcanion?
I would try Landorus-T and Tapu Koko — they lure in things it does well against and generate momentum and openings for it.
May I also add Ferrothorn, which formes a good hazard core with Landorus-T that helps Volcanion make up for the lack of Choice Specs and capitalises on the lack of need for hazard removal with your own Tapu Koko and Volcanion. Volcanion also beats Corviknight and Landorus-T, while Tapu Koko beats Tornadus-T, so you have the three main defoggers under great offensive pressure.. Ferrothorn also provides great defensive utility and chip damage with Knock Off and Leech Seed.

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Whats a good example of a Moltres-Galar team. Shot up in the last VR update so I'm keen on trying it out.
Probably a Screen HO with Double Dance (Nasty Plot + Agility) Moltres Galar. You can try something like Tapu Koko (as a Screen Setter), Hawlucha, Bisharp to Anti Defog, Moltres Galar (which is also great to improve the Specs Dragapult matchup as Infiltrator is annoying) and two other setup sweepers who take advantage of Screens (there's a ton of them).

Moltres Galar is super bulky and with Screens up you can easily set an Agility and one (or even several) Nasty Plot while getting a Berserk boost. I don't think you will manage to be a real threat for most teams without Screens support though, as this thing lacks a good recovery move, but a set you can try if you don't wanna use a Screen HO is something like Double Dance Fiery Wrath and Rest (or Hurricane over Agility) which is actually an UU set.

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
also related to avalugg, sturdy or ice body?
Sturdy is way better (in my opinion). This is because Avalugg is mainly a stall Pokemon and you don't want to use it with Hail so Ice Body will only be useful against opposing Hail teams and having a Leftovers recovery in this very specific matchup seems extremely situational. Now, Sturdy isn't the best ability on a defensive wall, but having something able to take any hit because of Sturdy can be useful in some situations where an opposing Pokemon is trying to sweep your team and you don't really have an answer for it (which can happen when you are running stall). In this scenario, being able to trade almost all your life on Avalugg to prevent a sweep can be really useful. Also, it's worth noting that with Heavy-Duty-Boots, keeping your Sturdy up for an emergency case is even easier than in USUM.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)