Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

I was thinking of running a side server that has a No Dynamax OU, and I have read the rules and I don't see anything wrong with advertising it (once, in the OU Discussion Thread) at the moment. However, I would like to ask the mods what they think. I'm doing it because I want to see how the meta would be without Dynamax.

I was thinking of running a side server that has a No Dynamax OU, and I have read the rules and I don't see anything wrong with advertising it (once, in the OU Discussion Thread) at the moment. However, I would like to ask the mods what they think. I'm doing it because I want to see how the meta would be without Dynamax.
It's not our call to make. You'd be better off asking some of the higher PS staff.

Finding a Gigantamax Hatterene is already a ~1.25% chance in a den. Then I need to find one with its HA, and I need to have as low Speed as possible for Trick Room. I don't see that as reasonably obtainable. What are some statistical thresholds where Hatterene functions under Trick Room with 31 Speed IVs?

The 'Tar is a victim of the meta, BUT he is really solid in sand balance teams. If you want an easy to run team that can get you pretty deep into the metagame then sand balance seems like the way to go, and TTar is an invaluable piece of the sand puzzle.
whats a sand balance teams? with excadrill? wont that be an easier food for barraskewda and friends?

I got up to 4th on the ladder using an anti-meta team which included a set somebody posted earlier in this thread of Dragon Dance Ttar with weakness policy behind dual screens, it's kinda benefited by water attacks in that case as it can set up and if I was really worried it wouldn't take a hit dynamaxing was always an option to double it's health another time to get the weakness policy off, ditto usually has to wait for a lot of chip or reflect to go away to revenge and Grimmsnarl is an amazingly reliable screens setter.

I think it has it's place in the meta, checking most ghosts like Chandelure, Poltergeist, (non Focus Blast) Gengar & special Dragapult as well as most Hydreigon is a useful niche as there aren't a ton of options for that now and ghosts are becoming very common, just being a mon that can eat a hit and dish out a lot of damage is valuable at the moment. Also as HannibalLekter said there's always sand balance especially with Exca around.
what is dual screen?

Last edited by a moderator:
whats a sand balance teams? with excadrill? wont that be an easier food for barraskewda and friends?
Usually Sand Balance has some core of TTar + Excadrill + Ferro + Pex/Rotom-W + bulkier fill (i.e., Clef or Cors-G) + generic sweeper (Dragapult/Darm-G), so you have at least 2-3 reliable Water-type checks. It's probably one of the more popular archetypes out there currently.

Technically DMax Excadrill can set Sand up for itself if you run Rock Slide on it, but Rapid Spin is usually too good to give up, in my opinion.

Usually Sand Balance has some core of TTar + Excadrill + Ferro + Pex/Rotom-W + bulkier fill (i.e., Clef or Cors-G) + generic sweeper (Dragapult/Darm-G), so you have at least 2-3 reliable Water-type checks. It's probably one of the more popular archetypes out there currently.

Technically DMax Excadrill can set Sand up for itself if you run Rock Slide on it, but Rapid Spin is usually too good to give up, in my opinion.
sorry i'm new to the scene. its just i like tyranitar so much. do you have references of sand balance team? I'm reading the previous gen's list in smogon idk if that's still relevant to this gen

sorry i'm new to the scene. its just i like tyranitar so much. do you have references of sand balance team? I'm reading the previous gen's list in smogon idk if that's still relevant to this gen
Yeah I gotchu:

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Atk / 88 SpA
Brave Nature
IVs: 27 Spe
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast
- Thunder Wave

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Protect

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Stealth Rock

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 44 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Trick
- Will-O-Wisp

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

also you could run Corsola-G instead of Clef:

Corsola-Galar @ Eviolite
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Strength Sap
- Hex
- Stealth Rock

I haven't played the metagame yet, but I've been lurking around a bit, so question: what makes Dynamax so broken? It just doubles your HP and increases your moves' base power (in most cases) slightly, right? Am I missing something?

I haven't played the metagame yet, so question: what makes Dynamax so broken? Does it not just double your HP and give (in most cases) a slight boost to your moves?
Doubling your HP is huge, as it makes revenge killing a Dynamax Pokemon very difficult. The power boost to your moves is often pretty big. Most max moves are around 130 power (90 power for Poison and Fighting) and can reach that power from moves as low as 80 power. However, one huge point that you forgot to mention is that each max move has a secondary effect, some of which are extremely useful. The most common ones at the moment are setting up rain with Max Geyser, boosting Attack with Max Knuckle, and boosting Speed with Max Airstream. Because of this, a Dynamaxed Pokemon is dangerous even after the Dynamax wears off, as not only is your team likely in shambles from the 3 turn assault, but the former Dynamaxed Pokemon still has a ton of boosts.

This may not be the right thread, but how does dynamax interact with choice items, I know it ignores band/specs boosts, but what about scarf? Got a replay where it boosts speed but I remember that not always being the case (ex: I usually rkill dmaxed ditto impostered in my darm with cinderace which wouldnt happen if scarf worked, unfort I dont have any replay of me actually doing that so I might be wrong)

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This may not be the right thread, but how does dynamax interact with choice items, I know it ignores band/specs boosts, but what about scarf? Got a replay where it boosts speed but I remember that not always being the case (ex: I usually rkill dmaxed ditto impostered in my darm with cinderace which wouldnt happen if scarf worked, unfort I dont have any replay of me actually doing that so I might be wrong)
Dynamax ignores choice items completely. It also ignored Gorilla Tactics. So, it basically acts as if your Pokemon does not have those items on at all. No benefits, no drawbacks. Atleast, thats how it works in PS right now iirc. I had a match where I was really stupid and dynamaxed my G-Darm when it otherwise would have outspeed the opponent and KO'd. But since I had Dynamaxed, the scarf's boost went away and I felt like a complete idiot. Had a good laugh, though. The mechanics of dynamax have changed a bit over time as new information is found out in-game. So what might have been true yesterday may not be today.

Edit: To add to this, if you scarf a Pokemon then dynamax it, when it returns to its un-dynamaxed form, it remains locked in to the move it was locked into before it dynamaxed.

Solaros & Lunaris

Hold that faith that is made of steel
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Sorry if this has been answered already, but since Moody has been updated to no longer alter accuracy and evasion, and it was previously banned under the evasion clause iirc, will Moody be unbanned? I believe hidden ability Glalie should be available.
Sorry for answering this late but the Policy Review thread just popped up (https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/the-moody-clause-thread.3656596/) and people definitely seem down for removing Moody Clause so far

So I’m planing on breeding all the eeveelutions for my copy of shield and I was wondering what would be the best movesets for each eeveelution to go up against the galar region and online.

So I’m planing on breeding all the eeveelutions for my copy of shield and I was wondering what would be the best movesets for each eeveelution to go up against the galar region and online.
That really depends on what else is on your team, especially for online PvP.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The best eeveelutions are probably Jolteon, Sylveon, Espeon, Umbreon and Vaporeon. I guess Leafeon could work with Sun now that it gets Solar Blade. Jolteon should go Specs since its one of the fastest Pokemon in the game and really does not have any moves outside of T-bolt. Took a hard L losing Hidden Power. Sylveon is a capable cleric and makes a decent core with Umbreon and Vaporeon. Espeon is similar to Jolteon and Magic Guard is much better, but it also suffers from a general lack of coverage moves. Flareon is useless and Glaceon is mediocre.

Do we still not have a sword and shield good cores page? I think the page should at least be up and people can add to it. There are no team building resources up yet but the ladder is up...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)