Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
Hey, if I play Ou I wanna use Drazozolt, otherwise I have 0 interest.

With the Godly splashed ground types it appears completely unviable outside of tournament play.

I abused the shit out of gen 6 stall and peaked top 10 early ou with a team based around mega sab, zapados, shednija, heatran, duggy, and ditto(I out pp stalled stall.) And I could do a write up on why stall flourishes and actually becomes the most flexible and creative archetype at times, but really with dugtrio that isn't a tall order in building skill.

How can I build around it with dracozolt while still having a vaible team member?

AnimaticLunatic

I COULD BE BANNED!
What teams do you like to Obstagoon on? What roles do you like it to play. And moves. For now I like obstruct, facade, knock off and close combat. Basiccaly what is recomended. I am just not sure which teamates are best for him. Also past 3 days of my first ou ladder are fun. This is my team.

Crock (Seismitoad) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake

Goon (Obstagoon) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Taunt

Inside (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 236 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Iron Head

Froach (Centiskorch) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Careful Nature
- Fire Lash
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Clefz (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect

Catapult (Dragapult) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- U-turn
My problem are usually set up sweepers and stycky web teems. And Metal Birds if I lose Dragapult.
This is best example of how screwd I am when I lose my Dragapult. Move 39 onwards.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1047431262
What would you change.

And this is my first post on Smogon. Hi everyone.

Last edited:
What teams do you like to Obstagoon on? What roles do you like it to play. And moves. For now I like obstruct, facade, knock off and close combat. Basiccaly what is recomended. I am just not sure which teamates are best for him. Also past 3 days of my first ou ladder are fun. This is my team.

Crock (Seismitoad) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake

Goon (Obstagoon) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Taunt

Inside (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 236 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Iron Head

Froach (Centiskorch) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Careful Nature
- Fire Lash
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Clefz (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect

Catapult (Dragapult) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- U-turn
My problem are usually set up sweepers and stycky web teems. And Metal Birds if I lose Dragapult.
This is best example of how screwd I am when I lose my Dragapult. Move 39 onwards.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1047431262
What would you change.

And this is my first post on Smogon. Hi everyone.
You might have better luck on the RMT forum but I'd replace Centiskorch with Defog Rotom Heat and change Ferrothorn to Spikes/Leech Seed/T-Wave/Knock Off. Once Corviknight is knocked off and hopefully paralyzed it's pretty easy to deal with.

You might have better luck on the RMT forum but I'd replace Centiskorch with Defog Rotom Heat and change Ferrothorn to Spikes/Leech Seed/T-Wave/Knock Off. Once Corviknight is knocked off and hopefully paralyzed it's pretty easy to deal with.
You are right; they would have more luck in the Rate My Team forum. However, Rotom-H does not get Defog right now. Please make sure you do some research and familiarize yourself with the metagame before helping out other users.

Last edited:

AnimaticLunatic

I COULD BE BANNED!
You are right; they would have more luck in the Rate My Team forum. However, Rotom-H does not get Defog right now. Please make sure you know what you’re taking about before helping out other users.
Thanks you all. Will try. And will go to that other forum.

What makes Galarian Corsola better as a physically defensive wall compared to specially defensive?
Galarian Corsola is pretty bad regardless, but the reason it's better as a physically defensive wall compared to a specially defensive wall is because it doesn't actually check any of the main special wallbreakers. Galarian Corsola can not keep up against special wallbreakers such as Clefable, Hydreigon, Dragapult, Rotom-H, Aegislash, and Gengar. Meanwhile, it can check some physically offensive Pokemon such as Excadrill. Regardless of its spread, though, Galarian Corsola really struggles in this metagame.

I've started using Chandelure in OU. It's been my favorite Pokemon for a while now, and I wanted to branch out. While looking up sets, I wanted to see where Chandy fell on the Viability Rankings, and noticed it was unranked.

I realize that Chandelure is not anywhere near the most viable 'mon for its role, so I wasn't thrown off at first, but then I noticed that Drednaw appears in the rankings, among a handful of other... Less impressive 'mons. I would assume Chandy to be low-ranked, but certainly worthy of appearing if Drednaw makes the list. (No offense, Drednaw fans).

I'm a pretty inexperienced player, so I'm curious to hear from some players with more clout than me: am I massively over-rating Chandelure, or is it's absence more of an oversight?

I've started using Chandelure in OU. It's been my favorite Pokemon for a while now, and I wanted to branch out. While looking up sets, I wanted to see where Chandy fell on the Viability Rankings, and noticed it was unranked.

I realize that Chandelure is not anywhere near the most viable 'mon for its role, so I wasn't thrown off at first, but then I noticed that Drednaw appears in the rankings, among a handful of other... Less impressive 'mons. I would assume Chandy to be low-ranked, but certainly worthy of appearing if Drednaw makes the list. (No offense, Drednaw fans).

I'm a pretty inexperienced player, so I'm curious to hear from some players with more clout than me: am I massively over-rating Chandelure, or is it's absence more of an oversight?
At first glance, the issue seems to be competition. Drednaw's only real competition is Barraskewda, and it seems plausible that you would use both on the same team (alongside Pelipper, of course). Meanwhile, Chandelure has to compete with Dragapult, Aegislash, and Gengar on the Ghost side, and Rotom on the Fire side. All four of those mons are incredible, so Chandelure needs something really big to even stand a chance.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Cinderace, I guess, though the two are substantially different.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Just wanna chip in and say that I don't think your thoughts are too off the mark. I believe you could definitely make a case to rank Chandelure. It has immense Special Attack, decent Speed and a pretty great offensive typing and has even been used in SPL (in spectacular fashion). Meanwhile, Drednaw is ranked because it has a niche on rain but it's really not great right now since Seismitoad's usage is so high which even makes rain in itself very mediocre. I definitely agree with DrPumpkinz's sentiment that Chandelure's main setback is competition while Drednaw's biggest boon is the lack thereof.

An odd max HP is preferable in damage calculations like Stealth Rock, which rounds down instead of up when a Pokémon has an odd amount of HP, saving a tiny amount of damage whenever it switches in. It's a very minor tech but one that is always worth doing unless perhaps the Pokémon uses Wish.
This is very interesting.
Does it mean that some sets suggested in the strategy dex will be improved applying this?

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
What are good Dracovish countries? Besides water/ground toad?
Gastrodon, Jellicent and Vaporeon are other viable Water immunities. Jellicent has to look out for Crunch though. I've even seen people use Dry Skin Heliolisk to decent success.

A lot of faster Pokemon can revenge kill it or force it out, especially Dragapult and (non-Substitute) Hydreigon since they can OHKO it with Draco Meteor. They can't (reliably) switch in though.
Your own Dracovish or Ditto can also do it and potentially even switch in on Fishious Rend but they have to look out for Outrage.

Keep in mind that Dracovish is quite weak to status (paralysis, burn) so if you manage to cripple it by landing a Thunder Wave on it as it comes in you're golden. Knock Off also neuters it.

Last edited:

talah

from the river to the sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This is very interesting.
Does it mean that some sets suggested in the strategy dex will be improved applying this?
we already use it when in analyses when it matters. for what it's worth, it's not about having an odd number of HP(strictly), it's about having a number of HP that isn't divisible by 8/4/2 depending on the Pokemon's weakness to Stealth Rock (neutral/weak 2x/weak 4x, resists follow in the other direction); this allows the Pokemon to be able to get an extra switch-in into Stealth Rock (if neutral, can get 8 switch-ins instead of 7).

there's various tiny stuff like this that can be really important; Pokemon that use Substitute will also want to have an HP number that's not divisible by 4 so they can squeeze an extra use of it, or Gliscor's frequent usage of 244 HP EVs instead of 252 to get a number divisible by 8, netting it an extra point of Poison Heal healing (should be noted that 244 isn't exactly better than 252, the better one for your team depends on the damage rolls you're looking to get).

I'm having trouble breaking through the 1300s to 1400s. I'm using an screens team, webs team and an balance team, but It seems 1500s are a dream (my friend even told me last gen he went to 1500s using scarfers)
Can someone help? thank you.
This is a combination of specific advice for this situation as well as how to play hyper offense in particular and some general advice for improving at the game.

I would recommend sticking to one team concept/archetype while you are laddering and tuning it to the meta when necessary. Unless the team you are using just isn't functional in the meta you'll get more mileage out of using the same team for many games as you will begin to learn what to do in certain situations/not get caught off guard by damage rolls and etc. I would also say that I don't think that webs is not super viable in OU. Balance is also underperforming at the moment but it certainly can work.
Screens HO definitely works in the current meta and it's a pretty easy team to play as well. Basically you are wanting your game to go something like this:
identify your wincon (your Pokémon that beats most of the opponents team/beats the opponents team if a few key Pokémon are out of the picture/weakened)
set up hazards if you have them
soften up the Pokémon that need to be weakened in order for your wincon to sweep (you can use screens to help facilitate this but try to save the screen setter if you can)
set up screens and then ideally sacrifice something so you can bring in your wincon safely
your wincon sweeps the opponent team and survives stray hits from the mons that outspeed it/it fails to OHKO thanks to screens

all hyper offense teams are based around this idea of identifying a win-con and then chipping away at its checks until you can blow through the opponent's team. If you are not clicking screens to set up a sweep, you should probably be clicking something that's going to do damage (straight up attacks but also hazards/boosting moves) otherwise you will sort of run out of gas. Don't be afraid to sacrifice Pokémon, hyper offense can frequently come back from 5-1 or 6-2 scenarios.

When playing hyper offense really focus on identifying win-cons and checks/counters to wincons(for both you and your opponent!) This is the most important element of HO and overall a really important concept in Pokémon. Always have the mentality that your opponent is asking themselves the same questions you are asking yourself. (What is good in this battle? How do I finish this battle? What does my opponent have that can stop me?) This will give you some insight into the moves they make before they make them.

Watch your replays, especially your close losses. Try to identify the turns where you made plays that led to the loss. Pay special mind to the long-term effects of your plays. Sure you switched Corviknight into Excadrill's earthquake, which seems like a good play out of context, but if that Excadrill set up on Corviknight after that and swept you because Corviknight didn't have body press then it wasn't such a great play.

Anyway, this post is definitely leaving the realm of "simple answers" but here's a few final rapid fire pieces of advice

it's better to make safe plays if you are ahead and you may need to make desperate plays if you are behind in order to have any chance of winning

if you get on a streak of several wins/losses or suffer a particularly bad loss, take a break. you will play much worse if you are salty/overconfident. you cannot win the battle at hand if you are still fighting your previous battles

seriously, analyze your replays. even if it seems like you lost to hax, always try to find the places where you could have done better. you can never change hax but you can always improve your play

Good luck! Don't get discouraged and remember that this game takes a long time and many losses to get good at.

At any point will the reasoning for why mons are ranked at any given tier be added to the viability thread? I may be mistaken but in prev metas wasn't there a clickable link beside the sprite that took you to the points about them? Is it just a case that pokehome is around the corner so not much point in doing it atm?

Ruft

OU Leader
At any point will the reasoning for why mons are ranked at any given tier be added to the viability thread? I may be mistaken but in prev metas wasn't there a clickable link beside the sprite that took you to the points about them? Is it just a case that pokehome is around the corner so not much point in doing it atm?
TPP has already given the explanation for every initial ranking actually:
S and A ranks
B ranks
C ranks

With every new slate Finchinator also expands on every change:
First slate

Full analyses which go more in depth are being worked on and these will be linked on the VR. For now you can consult the preliminary analyses on the StrategyDex.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)