Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

The Hatterene graphic on Twitter showed Arctozolt as a common teammate. Is that thing even viable?
It's low speed and better attack + Stab than arctovish makes it a candidate for full trick room. Between low kick and its stabs, the only real swithcin is physically defensive rotom heat, so I can see the appeal in that regard. I'd guess it's one particular team that circulated recently.

What are some good sets for Vaporeon? Im planning to send one from Pokemon GO over to SS, and since that thing was my partner in crime back in the day (along with Rhydon, who is now Rhyperior and back in business thanks to todays Community Day), I want to respect it and make it into a competitive pokemon.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
What are some good sets for Vaporeon? Im planning to send one from Pokemon GO over to SS, and since that thing was my partner in crime back in the day (along with Rhydon, who is now Rhyperior and kicking tail thanks to today’s Community Day), I want to respect it and make it into a competitive pokemon.
Wish / Protect / Scald / filler is almost always used on Vaporeon. It's not particularly common anymore though.

Was also thinking about sending over a Growlithe as well for a competitive Arcanine. What would be some good sets for OU Arcanine? Was thinking Choice Scarf personally.

Was also thinking about sending over a Growlithe as well for a competitive Arcanine. What would be some good sets for OU Arcanine? Was thinking Choice Scarf personally.
Arcanine's niche in ou comes from using a bulky set that checks threats like clefable and sylveon and providing intimidate, while not being a complete momentum suck thanks to will o wisp/decent offensive power. I believe the standard sets is something like

Arcanine @ Heavy Duty Boots
Intimidate

Flare Blitz/Flamethrower
Wisp
Morning Sun
Roar

Change the nature and EVs to what you want it to check.

Is there an easier way to track metagame trends and changes AS they occur? If I need to know if a strategy or set is “outdated,” where can I find that out?

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Is there an easier way to track metagame trends and changes AS they occur? If I need to know if a strategy or set is “outdated,” where can I find that out?
Tiering changes are always posted in this subforum; they are also pinned, so you can see them near the top of the subforum as well. In addition, suspect threads and discussions are also posted and pinned when they occur.

Tiering changes are always posted in this subforum; they are also pinned, so you can see them near the top of the subforum as well. In addition, suspect threads and discussions are also posted and pinned when they occur.
Thank you for the response. Tiering changed weren’t necessary what I was referring to, but I also don’t think my question was very clear. I was wondering if there was a place we could track what moves/sets/spreads certain mons are running in real time, as opposed to once tier changes are posted at the end of the month.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
Thank you for the response. Tiering changed weren’t necessary what I was referring to, but I also don’t think my question was very clear. I was wondering if there was a place we could track what moves/sets/spreads certain mons are running in real time, as opposed to once tier changes are posted at the end of the month.
Not really. People tend to gain that knowledge through firsthand experience, checking the analysis, or checking the usage statistics. Sometimes information that you could find through this will be alluded to in discussions throughout threads in this subforum though.

8 Years...

That's how long it's been since I've been in the competitive scene. My last team being from the BW2 days. I'm basically caught up with where we're at in all formats and which pokemon get used the most and the most used combinations.

My questions is this (regarding OU): Will I need to use the most used/most used combinations to find the most success? For example, I've been wanting to build around Tyranitar specifically, and excadrill has almost always been in a team with him, from what I've seen.

Not asking for help in building a team (as I'll prepare that and put it in the RMT forum), just wanting to hear your guys' experiences!

8 Years...

That's how long it's been since I've been in the competitive scene. My last team being from the BW2 days. I'm basically caught up with where we're at in all formats and which pokemon get used the most and the most used combinations.

My questions is this (regarding OU): Will I need to use the most used/most used combinations to find the most success? For example, I've been wanting to build around Tyranitar specifically, and excadrill has almost always been in a team with him, from what I've seen.

Not asking for help in building a team (as I'll prepare that and put it in the RMT forum), just wanting to hear your guys' experiences!
Generally, if the Pokémon you build around is on VR, you should be quite successful if your team is well built and with good skill. Tyranitar is perfectly viable in the meta game; and the tried and true Excadrill + Tyranitar core is also viable.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
8 Years...

I'd say a good general rule of thumb is that when you're new to a metagame you should stick to what's proven/popular to get a sense of what works and the reason why it does. Tyranitar + Excadrill has been a tried and true core for multiple generations now and there's good reason for it.
Once you've come to a good understanding of the metagame is the point where you can try innovating and coming up with your own builds. Doing this when you've only dipped your toes in the water will often lead to disappointing results. That's not only true for SS OU but for any format out there.
I'm not saying you're not allowed to get creative but if you're still inexperienced when it comes to the metagame and your goal is to improve fast it's a good idea to stick to what has worked for others.

Why is Kanto Farfetch'd currently in OU? Love this guy so I'm curious how he came to be there.
All newly released pokemon start in ou and then drop based on monthly usage stats. As farfetched was released with home this month, he is in ou and he will very likely drop through all the tiers every shift

Change the nature and EVs to what you want it to check.
Ketchup2, a set such as this would be a decent starting point. The speed is for neutral 70s (Bish and Cloy, though Arcanine definitely shouldn't be your first line of defense against these) and the SpA is for 2HKOing Max SpD Jirachi with Flamethrower. The set has Flamethrower instead of Flare Blitz because Flareon just hits so much harder with it. Teleport is something that Arcanine has going for it along with one-turn recovery and Roar. Intimidate is kinda cool for Cinderace. The set itself should be changed according to the needs of the team.

Arcanine @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 64 SpA / 136 SpD / 56 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Morning Sun
- Teleport/Roar
- Will-O-Wisp/Toxic/Roar

Hope I helped :)

How good is Galarian Weezing? I’ve read the Metagame V3 thread and it seems like it has some very good traits that make it worth using.

How good is Galarian Weezing? I’ve read the Metagame V3 thread and it seems like it has some very good traits that make it worth using.
It's really not that great and honestly, way more often than not, not worth bothering with. It's a mediocre check to most of the Pokemon it wants to check, such as Clefable, Terrakion, and Dragapult, just to name a few. It tends to be a wasted slot due to just how little it checks and the fact that it's rather passive.

Not sure if I am allowed to post this but pikalytics does include information for OU, IIRC they catalogue pokemon, moves, items, partners, spreads by usage from showdown. It isn't the perfect tool for this but it can put you in the right direction.

yalldve11

Banned deucer.
Does (or should) Pickpocket invalidate the flinching effect of Fake Out?

Battle started between Wyulliam and Fab100!
Wyulliam sent out Vegeta (Grimmsnarl)!
Go! Bees? (Ribombee)!
Turn 1
The opposing Vegeta used Fake Out!
(Bees? lost 28.4% of its health!)

Bees? used Moonblast!
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
(The opposing Vegeta lost 100% of its health!)

The opposing Vegeta fainted!
☆Wyulliam: !data pickpocket
  • PickpocketIf this Pokemon has no item, it steals the item off a Pokemon making contact with it
So ribombees ability, shield dust, prevents the secondary effect of a pokemons move, like flamethrower can't burn. i didn't know about fake out tho. have no clue where pickpocket factors in at all, and it shouldn't

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)