Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

I have a question about Eiscue, but do not know if it is in OU. I know I sound stupid when I say this, but I'm also confused about this site's posting relevant areas. Could someone direct me to somewhere I could properly ask?
You can ask here but if you feel the need to post it in a more relevant area then you can check out the PU or ZU if that exists and ask it there

All right. My question: What do people do when people see Eiscue? Do they normally break Ice Face or do they try to skirt around it with Special moves. My idea was to put an Assault Vest on it, given if most try Special attacks. Would this actually work well, or is it one of my "it's stupid" ideas?

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Also what is the OU Blitz metagame that is currently on Showdown?
OU Blitz is OU with a shorter timer, I believe it maxes at 15 seconds and you get 10 seconds back per turn.

All right. My question: What do people do when people see Eiscue? Do they normally break Ice Face or do they try to skirt around it with Special moves. My idea was to put an Assault Vest on it, given if most try Special attacks. Would this actually work well, or is it one of my "it's stupid" ideas?
The problem with Eiscue is that without a Belly Drum it’s really weak, and you can’t bypass that weakness with any utility options if you’re using an Assault Vest. Especially in OU it can’t do practically anything without a boost. Even Belly Drum sets struggle in OU, but they’re your best shot to make the mon usable in the current metagame, so I’d focus on that route rather than locking yourself out of a Belly Drum with Assault Vest.

Last edited:

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Now that Healing Wish has been buffed in gen 8, has anyone tried out Healing Wish on a suicide lead? I'm trying to build a team around that concept, but I'm not sure where to go with it.
If you’re going that route, I think you need some way to prevent t1 hazards from popping your floating hwish early. This should probably be from having a separate Magic Bounce mon on your team, as none of the Taunt + Healing Wish Pokemon you could use as a lead can set up hazards of their own, making them a bit lackluster as a dedicated suicide lead. Once you figure out how you want your early game hazard situation to look like, the best abusers would be mons that are tough to OHKO but can hit exceptionally hard. Something like Kyurem could be worth trying here. Either way, figure out what your main bulky wallbreakers lure in and chip down, then add in sweepers that appreciate those weakened mons, and try to fill holes from there. Since the floating healing wish combo has a lot of flaws (broken by chip or OHKOs and only affects the game state a single time, usually in the early game if on a suicide lead where your opponent still has the most options left to respond to it with), it probably won’t be a successful team without some seriously in-depth threat analysis, but it could make for a really fun gimmick.

Why is Dragapult in OU? It's literally a Pseudo-Legendary and can easily wipe out teams with just a Dragon Dance set up. I feel like it could be an Uber like Galarian Darmanitan, but I'm just asking.

Why is Dragapult in OU? It's literally a Pseudo-Legendary and can easily wipe out teams with just a Dragon Dance set up. I feel like it could be an Uber like Galarian Darmanitan, but I'm just asking.
Dragapult is definitely not broken by any stretch of the imagination, there is plenty of conventional counterplay available to the Pokemon. Generally, Dragon Dance Dragapult is only used on hyper offensive teams and while it's true that those teams can typically force damage onto checks like Clefable and Mandibuzz, this isn't any more true for Dragapult than any other sweeper on these kinds of teams. Typically, you'll be able to keep it in check if you manage aptly; a lot of chip damage is required for Dragapult to overwhelm its checks. It's not like Dragapult's counterplay varies much between its sets, either, you're still going to be answering Dragapult with Pokemon like Clefable and Mandibuzz with good success regardless of sets. This ofcourse doesn't mean that Dragapult isn't great, it undeniably is. I'm not really sure what else needs to be said, you haven't really given any in-depth arguments as to why you feel it should be banned. For what it's worth, if you wish to provide more arguments you should definitely use the Metagame Discussion thread.

You might be surprised to hear it, but Dragapult isn't actually all that exceptional as a Dragon Dance sweeper.
The thing about Dragon Dance is that Dragapult's Speed is already high enough that the boost doesn't really mean much - all it achieves in context is outspeeding Zeraora and scarfers (and it's still weak to some priority moves in Sucker Punch and Shadow Sneak) - so against the majority of opponents, it only comes down to a one-stage Attack boost. For that matter, its high Speed and mixed offenses account for so much of its BST that it's actually on the frail side and it can be hard to set up in the first place, to the point that any opponent it doesn't knock out in one hit will easily finish it off.
It also doesn't even have a usable physical Ghost STAB, to the point that its standard Dragon Dance set includes a Dragon STAB and then, for coverage moves, Steel Wing (which is very weak - the main reason it outdamages Dragon Darts on Fairy-types is because Dragon Darts doesn't work, and it's not worth using otherwise even if it's super effective) and also a special move (which doesn't even benefit from Dragon Dance). Dragon Dance Dragapult can be effective as late-game cleanup, but it's not cleaving through any teams unless its allies have significantly weakened them already.

For reference, it's actually considered more effective to use full special attacking sets on Dragapult - and those are good, which is why it's OU at all, but that relies on its base 100 Special Attack and isn't supported by any relevant boosting moves, so it's a far cry from how strong its physical sets looked to you. (For reference, the actual niche of special sets seems to be using a fast Will-o-Wisp to cover for its physical bulk and spread a useful status condition, followed by Hex to have an effective 130 BP Ghost-type move, which is the strongest Ghost ever gets.)
I'm not sure if I have a complete picture, because I don't play the tier myself, but this is what I've gleaned from following the relevant threads. Hopefully it helps a bit to understand where Dragapult stands!

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Is the calc wrong?

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1121682998

Turn 17, his Cinderace does 65% to my max defense Clefable. Except according to the calc, 252+ Atk Cinderace Pyro Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 175-207 (44.4 - 52.5%) -- 19.9% chance to 2HKO. That's not right at all! That's even assuming he was adamant, because they mostly run Jolly. I think something else like this happened to me recently as well, but I am very confused. I hope this is the right place to ask this.
https://www.smogon.com/dex/ss/abilities/blaze/

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but is there any threats that a team of Incineroar, Clefable, Togekiss, Hex Dragapult, Gastrodon, and Banded Aegislash doesn't cover?

Togekiss is my wincon
Earthquake is being used over earth power anyhow
I"m not entirely sure how I could fit corviknight on my team as the whole point of this team was incineroar and togekiss

I think with Hex Pult, Aegislash, probably Twave or Knock Off SR Clefable you already have a good enough wincon.

But you can try:
Corviknight, Clefable, Togekiss, Incineroar, Gastrodon, Dragapult
So you still have your Incineroar + Togekiss core.

I mean, to which special walls are you referring? Most mons that switch into special attacks get worn down pretty quickly by the combination of hex pult, toge, and incineroar. Having offensive mons that are entirely special based isn't a huge issue in the current meta.

Yes but what Sparkwings is trying to convey to you is that you can safely replace your Aegislash with Corviknight. Even though you said you were concerned with being unable to muscle past special walls without Aegislash, it won't really be an issue because Togekiss, Hex Dragapult, and Incineroar all manage to threaten those special walls, and by replacing Aegi you make your team significantly better against opposing hazards as well as gaining a legitimate answer to Excadrill.

Ok that makes sense now

But what for clefable? I'm currently using the stereotypical teleport set for it, what would I be replacing for knock off and stealth rock?

Even though Wish + Teleport Clefable is a very strong set, your team doesn’t have Stealth Rock, which a must.
Anyway, depending on your Togekiss set, 3 or 4 of your Pokemons have a healing move, so it is not too big of a deal if you don’t have Wish.

Softboiled + Moonblast + Stealth Rock + Knock Off / Thunder Wave is what you could use.

I forgot to mention, but Bisharp is also a threat, which Body Press Corviknight will fix too.

In my opinion, stealth rocks really aren't a huge necessity this gen due to the prevalence of Heavy Duty Boots, reliable defoggers, and Clef; however, on a team such as yours, with mons that take little to no damage, such as Corvi, Clef, Incineroar, and Gastro, it really doesn't hurt that much to have rocks up on both sides of the field. I would recommend changing Clef from wish + teleport though, as the only two mons that really appreciate wish passing are Incineroar and Dragapult.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)