Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

So that sun replay above pisses me off.

I'm sorry this more of a complaint than a question, but are there any good players out there that do well in tours or ladder consistently with only having to pp stall on a very rare basis?

Both players didnt care much about preserving their offensive mons cuz they were both willing to resort to PP stalling.

But like im sorry not every player has the patience, time, or willingness to enjoy >150 turn battles. And this is coming from a person past his early twenties who is honestly quite patient with life in general.

Just if it becomes the 'norm' and is 'OK' and is 'healthy' for pp stalling to be a common wincon, then I think Smogon's culture will become cancerous.

Either that, or I'm in the minority when it comes down to disagreeing with "as long as I win I don't care how I have to do it." '

I think I could have worded that better and I don't think all my thoughts are out right now. I'll see if I can edit this or just delete this altogether after I cool down lol.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Since shifts are coming up in a few days and as someone who also plays UU, Im thinking about which pokemon could drop from OU to UU and how that changes the tier. I feel Bisharp is one of them, the high usage of mag, cinderace, and urshifu as well as faster stuff like zera and drill means it can be outsped and killed. In additon, physical walls like mandibuzz, tangrowth, and kommo-o are as common as ever and they can all deal with bisharp. Am i right in this idea or is Bisharp still staying OU? Are there any other mons who you all feel wont make the cutoff as well?
Bisharp is definitely at a low point this generation, so it should probably be on the chopping block. I can’t control ladder usage, but if usage were to reflect viability, I could see it dropping. Marowak-Alola, Mew, and Urshifu-Rapid-Strike all stand out as potential candidates to drop, but I would not guarantee any of them falling.
So that sun replay above pisses me off.

I'm sorry this more of a complaint than a question, but are there any good players out there that do well in tours or ladder consistently with only having to pp stall on a very rare basis?
I personally play balance a lot and don’t have to PP stall often (It does happen though), but accounting for PP is still an important part of the game and people’s resistance to that is unnatural. I hate to be the bearer of news you may not like, but it’s on players to adapt to that. Moves have limited PP for a reason and that’s always a part of the game. It came into play last generation and in other formats, too. You cannot ignore it as relevant to games and you cannot ignore drawn out games that revolve around potential PP stall much like you cannot ignore tight, offensive games mandating you to play closet around potent win conditions.

But like im sorry not every player has the patience, time, or willingness to enjoy >150 turn battles. And this is coming from a person past his early twenties who is honestly quite patient with life in general.
Then play more offensive teams! There are many ways to circumvent that and if you have questions about that, I am more than happy to help with that. Offense and hyper offense is viable in the tier; you can also find ways to abuse the Pokemon that lead to stalemates on balance teams to speed things up, too.

Just if it becomes the 'norm' and is 'OK' and is 'healthy' for pp stalling to be a common wincon, then I think Smogon's culture will become cancerous.
Just because you personally don’t enjoy it or have time for it doesn’t make it cancerous, especially when you have access to alternatives and ways around it. This isn’t a fair claim or assessment of the situation. This is also a Simple Question, Simple Answer thread, so complaints like this don’t belong here honestly. If you want to engage more about this, I encourage you or anyone else to do so and can lead you to the appropriate place.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
How do you know if you should run haze instead of toxic on a mantine?
You should almost never drop Haze in the current metagame. It allows you to handle the increasingly common Substitute Volcarona while also deterring Belly Drum Azumarill, Calm Mind Clefable lacking Thunderbolt, Calm Mind Reuniclus lacking Thunder, and bulky set-up Magearna. Without Haze, it is far too passive against some of these Pokemon, even if you include Toxic to hit some of them. Generally, Mantine sets should look like:

Mantine (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Defog
- Haze
- Roost

If you are less fearful of Azumarill, Conkeldurr, and Marowak-Alola, then you can definitely remove the speed though.

I just got started with competitive battling, since i was so bored in quarantine, so can somebody tell me what a good starter pokemon is for OU? Thanks in advance!

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
I just got started with competitive battling, since i was so bored in quarantine, so can somebody tell me what a good starter pokemon is for OU? Thanks in advance!
If you mean a good Pokemon to start a team with, I would check here as it lists the usable Pokemon in the tier from best to worst!

Not sure if this is the best place for this question, but laddering for the Mag suspect has me wondering about how GXE is calculated and what it means.

I always kinda assumed GXE is supposed to mean one’s odds of winning any given game. So the best player on the ladder might be in the 100th percentile of players, but have a GXE of 90.0; so in my mind this means that the game thinks they have a 90% of winning any given battle on the ladder.

But here’s where I get a little confused. I’m assuming a 90 GXE means the person has a 90% chance of winning any battle, or does it mean beating any player? For example, there’s gotta be many many many more accounts that have ELOs in the 1000s because everyone person that plays showdown prolly has on average like 10 accounts for suspects and stuff and most of those accounts probably have very few OU games on them so Showdown probably assumes those accounts aren’t very skilled . Anyway, would a 90 GXE mean one has a 90% chance of beating any OU account on showdown in a battle, or would it mean that if you are randomly paired with someone online to battle one has a 90% chance of winning? (My assumption is that while many more of these “bad”/“unused” accounts exist, the game realizes they are inactive now and doesn’t count the large inflation of “bad” accounts into GXE”). Not sure if I worded that greatly, but hope you understand what I mean.

Further more, how many games does it take for your GXE to reach some sort of equilibrium/maximum? For example, if you win your first 10 games on a new account, GXE keeps going up. Just for fun, let’s say your skill level is equivalent to an 82.0 GXE. How many games should you expect to play before your GXE is actually 82.0? 30? 40? 50?

Another random questionDoes losing to someone who’s 10 - 0 W/L but 1300 ELO hurt GXE more or less than losing to someone with like a 65 GXE but a 1700 ELO?

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Not sure if this is the best place for this question, but laddering for the Mag suspect has me wondering about how GXE is calculated and what it means.

I always kinda assumed GXE is supposed to mean one’s odds of winning any given game. So the best player on the ladder might be in the 100th percentile of players, but have a GXE of 90.0; so in my mind this means that the game thinks they have a 90% of winning any given battle on the ladder.

But here’s where I get a little confused. I’m assuming a 90 GXE means the person has a 90% chance of winning any battle, or does it mean beating any player? For example, there’s gotta be many many many more accounts that have ELOs in the 1000s because everyone person that plays showdown prolly has on average like 10 accounts for suspects and stuff and most of those accounts probably have very few OU games on them so Showdown probably assumes those accounts aren’t very skilled . Anyway, would a 90 GXE mean one has a 90% chance of beating any OU account on showdown in a battle, or would it mean that if you are randomly paired with someone online to battle one has a 90% chance of winning? (My assumption is that while many more of these “bad”/“unused” accounts exist, the game realizes they are inactive now and doesn’t count the large inflation of “bad” accounts into GXE”). Not sure if I worded that greatly, but hope you understand what I mean.

Further more, how many games does it take for your GXE to reach some sort of equilibrium/maximum? For example, if you win your first 10 games on a new account, GXE keeps going up. Just for fun, let’s say your skill level is equivalent to an 82.0 GXE. How many games should you expect to play before your GXE is actually 82.0? 30? 40? 50?

Another random questionDoes losing to someone who’s 10 - 0 W/L but 1300 ELO hurt GXE more or less than losing to someone with like a 65 GXE but a 1700 ELO?
You can read up on the formula specifics and how we came to use the GXE (Glicko X-Act Estimate) in this Policy Review thread (the forumla is in the second code box), but to sum up what the data actually represents:
  • GXE's literal definition is: the probability that you win against a player with a 1500 Glicko rating (R) with a rating deviation (RD) of 350.
    • In practice, this means that GXE estimates your % chance of of winning versus a totally random opponent (1500±350 Glicko is what every alt starts out with)
  • There is an additional parameter that means your GXE is not calculated if RD > 100.
  • The thread above doesn't talk about this, but as long as R can still change (i.e. always) your GXE can also change with it. I'm not going to pretend to know how Glicko works or how quickly it changes once your RD gets really low, so I'll just let you peruse its Wikipedia page instead.
  • ELO is irrelevant in the calculation of GXE.
I hope this helps!

Last edited:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I know smogon's naming conventions for mons is standardized to Species-Forme, where the "less common" forms use the suffix and the "more common" or "base" form doesn't, and that makes sense, but what's up with urshifu? Why is Urshifu-Single-Strike referred to as just "Urshifu" whereas only Urshifu-Rapid-Strike gets the suffix? The normal rules don't really apply here for figuring out which is the "base" form, so they should both have suffixes.

Last edited:
I know smogon's naming conventions for mons is standardized to Species-Forme, where the "less common" forms use the suffix and the "more common" or "base" form doesn't, and that makes sense, but what's up with urshifu? Why is Urshifu-Single-Strike referred to as just "Urshifu" whereas only Urshifu-Rapid-Strike gets the suffix? The normal rules don't really apply here for figuring out which is the "base" form, so they should both have suffixes.
I think this thread is a better place to ask this question.

Why does Kommo-o primarily run defensive sets in this metagame?
Good defensive typing, high HP and DEF stats, stealth rocks, STAB body press + iron defense lets it beat a lot of rockers and defog mons, and it can choose from 3 abilities that all give it an immunity to certain attacks.

Which is fine by me, because it just makes it that much easier to sweep people with the clangorous set when they're expecting a defensive set, lol.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
Being able to check Pokemon like those listed below in conjunction with matching-up well with common hazard removal (Body Press nukes Excadrill, Taunt blanks Corviknight and Mandibuzz whereas Toxic also helps with the latter, etc.) makes a bulky SR Kommo-O the most reliable set. Offensive sets work, too, but they're mostly inconsistent. SD 3a is solid at least.
252 Atk Libero Cinderace Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Kommo-o: 156-186 (44 - 52.5%) -- 18% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Bisharp Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Kommo-o: 178-211 (50.2 - 59.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Kommo-o in Grassy Terrain: 130-153 (36.7 - 43.2%) -- 8.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery and Grassy Terrain recovery
252 Atk Zeraora Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Kommo-o: 76-90 (21.4 - 25.4%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Kommo-o: 216-255 (61 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

What pokemon in this meta have a good matchup against offense teams (i.e similar to the way Mega Lopunny was good against offense teams last gen) ?

What pokemon in this meta have a good matchup against offense teams (i.e similar to the way Mega Lopunny was good against offense teams last gen) ?
Weather teams always seem to threaten offense, as their abusers reliably outspeed most offensive threats and offense has nothing to tank hits repeatedly. Examples include Venusaur, Excadrill, Kingdra (or whatever rain uses these days), etc.

Trick Room is pretty matchup-dependent, but offense has nothing for an Alolan Marowak or a Magearna when the two are outrunning everything they have.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
Zeraora, Grassy Glide Rillaboom, and Nasty Plot Alakazam can do well against offensive teams, too. Specific Dragapult sets match-up nicely in some instances, too. All hit hard and are challenging to wall with offensive options in the tier while being quick or having strong priority in Rillaboom's case.

Why does Torkoal use Rest and does anybody have any replays of this in use?
In order to regain HP and reset any status on it.

Since shifts are coming up in a few days and as someone who also plays UU, Im thinking about which pokemon could drop from OU to UU and how that changes the tier. I feel Bisharp is one of them, the high usage of mag, cinderace, and urshifu as well as faster stuff like zera and drill means it can be outsped and killed. In additon, physical walls like mandibuzz, tangrowth, and kommo-o are as common as ever and they can all deal with bisharp. Am i right in this idea or is Bisharp still staying OU? Are there any other mons who you all feel wont make the cutoff as well?
It depends on how much usage it gets.

How do you know if you should run haze instead of toxic on a mantine?
You should run Haze if you want to stop mons that set up their stats, while you should run toxic if you want to gradually chip things by inflicting posion

Toxapex

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8ou-512327

Why did Slowbro's Teleport fail in turn 35 of this match?
Because Teleport couldn't work in that situation.

GXE is a measure of how many games you win, basically.

He's much better

In order to defensively check offensive threats

Specs Dragapult

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)