Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Katy

Banned deucer.
Could Head Smash Aegislash be a thing? I'm just wondering since I really want to bop mandi and volca on the switch
Head Smash Aegislash really was a thing in early SS OU on the Choice Band-Set. It did exactly what you already said, bopping Mandibuzz. I think this Set can still be good since Mandibuzz is very common currently but the SubTox-Set already throws Mandibuzz and Volcarona off guard with hindering their longevity due to Toxic. But if you really wanna bop 'em in one turn then Head Smash is the way to go.

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
For TWave Hex Dragapult, should I run HDB or Spell Tag?
Depends on team. If you are not running reliable removal and a Poison type for Toxic Spikes Toxapex, then I would absolutely run Heavy Duty Boots. If you are running Sand, consider Leftovers, too. Otherwise, Spell Tag can work, but it is more of a luxury whereas the other items can be necessities on certain teams.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I'm looking to build a team that revolves around a specs analytic magnezone + Choice Band Rillaboom core. Any ideas of what i should put on my team to make it the best it can be?
I would strongly advise using a defensive core including Defog, Stealth Rock, and at least checks to the common Pokemon/types these two are weak to as they share some defensive vulnerabilities. In addition, adding a form of speed control such as Dragapult could be a welcome addition.

So here's my team so far (trying to build more anti-meta, but the sun weakness necessitated I throw on a Pex):
Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Focus Blast

Heracross @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Facade
- Knock Off

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Teleport
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Knock Off
- Body Press
- Leech Seed

*sigh* (Toxapex) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Baneful Bunker
I noticed this team is extremely weak to sun as well as to Volcarona. How do I build around this without resorting to slapping on a Mandibuzz or something?

Why does Galarian Slowbro commonly run 96 SpA EVs and Modest nature? What does that specific amount of special attack accomplish?
I spent quite a lot of time trying to look up for you, but couldn't find anything.

Idk if this helps uncover the mystery, but with that investment, it reaches the same spA as uninvested base 125s, which for common(ish) mons include Hydreigon and Reuniclus.

So maybe its something to do with achieving a certain 2hko after a NP. Sorry I couldn't be more help for now.

ViZar

your toast is burned
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
So here's my team so far (trying to build more anti-meta, but the sun weakness necessitated I throw on a Pex):
Reuniclus @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Focus Blast

Heracross @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Facade
- Knock Off

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Teleport
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Knock Off
- Body Press
- Leech Seed

*sigh* (Toxapex) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Baneful Bunker
I noticed this team is extremely weak to sun as well as to Volcarona. How do I build around this without resorting to slapping on a Mandibuzz or something?
I don't know if it fits, but i recommend Gigalith. It's worse than Hippo has a sand setter, but thanks to it's rock typing it gets a boost in sp. def and unlike Ttar it is neutral to bug.
Again, I don't think this is the answer you wanted, but I used Gigalith since the Mag and Cinderace ban and it does well.

Here are some calcs.
+2 252 SpA Volcarona Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gigalith in Sand: 84-99 (22.4 - 26.4%) -- guaranteed 5HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252 SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gigalith in Sand: 168-198 (44.9 - 52.9%) -- 84.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Volcarona Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gigalith in Sand: 140-166 (37.4 - 44.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252 SpA Volcarona Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gigalith in Sand: 112-132 (29.9 - 35.2%) -- 22.5% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Here is the set. Hope I could help

Gigalith @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Katy

Banned deucer.
Is there a scheduled time for the Cinderace retest?
Cinderace just got banned, give the metagame a bit time to settle down and to adapt, also there is Toxapex in the discussion right now for a possible suspect test. I think it will take a while until the OU-Council decides to schedule a time for the retest. But most likely not the next couple of weeks.

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
can anyone give me a rillaboom core to build off of? Finally might try getting into ou with the recent bans.

can anyone give me a rillaboom core to build off of? Finally might try getting into ou with the recent bans.
It depends on what Rillaboom set you want to use, but I’ll use band as an example.

Rillaboom @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Grassy Glide
-U-Turn
-Wood Hammer
-Knock Off / Superpower / High Horsepower

Pardon the multiple slashes in the last slot; I’m not sure which is best so I listed the moves by what seems most common. CB Rillaboom struggles against mons such as: Corviknight, Skarmory, Mandibuzz, Tangrowth, Amoonguss, and Ferrothorn. It is also revenge killed by mons such as: Volcarona, Urshifu, Dragapult, Alakazam, and Gengar.

I recommend Magnezone as a partner since it demolishes fat steel- and flying-types. Stealth Rock and Spikes are good to support it as well. Any fat mon that checks many of the attackers I listed is fine. Pex, a pink blob, Mandibuzz, etc work well, especially because they can help Rillaboom pivot in.

To cite the band set’s entry on the strategy Pokédex: “Rillaboom fits best on bulky offensive teams that can quickly keep up momentum. It synergizes very well with pivots like Zeraora and Slowbro that will often bait in Pokemon that Rillaboom can break past.”

I'm looking for a good Pokémon to take advantage of free switch ins created by my Cobalion pivot. I want something that's gonna be able to put heavy chip or outright ko a pokemon each time it gets in for free.

Here's the set:

Cobalion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Air Slash

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
I'm looking for a good Pokémon to take advantage of free switch ins created by my Cobalion pivot. I want something that's gonna be able to put heavy chip or outright ko a pokemon each time it gets in for free.

Here's the set:

Cobalion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Air Slash
It probably lures in Toxapex and Amoonguss, which you can Volt Switch into. I would pair with a Psychic type like Alakazam perhaps.

It probably lures in Toxapex and Amoonguss, which you can Volt Switch into. I would pair with a Psychic type like Alakazam perhaps.
Yes, it always lures out Pex and volt switch hits for around 50% hp which is pretty nice. I'll have to give Alakazam a try and see if it has the muscle to blow some holes in the enemy team. My end game is a moxie sweep with scarf krookodile which greatly appreciates every bit of chip.

Before the Magearna & Cinderace ban, Mandibuzz largely saw more usage than Corviknight's on the ladder. However, currently Corviknight seems more popular on the top of the ladder (based on a couple videos I saw from pokeaim). Why is this the case?

Last edited:
Before the Magearna & Cinderace ban, Mandibuzz largely saw more usage than Corviknight's on the ladder. However, currently Corviknight seems more popular on the top of the ladder (based on a couple videos I saw from pokeaim). Why is this the case?
Most of this has to do with the cinderace ban, as cinderace could easily 2HKO 252HP/132+ defense corv. Moreover, mandibuzz was typically one of the best checks to cinderace variants that wasn't bulk up, as it could take 2 pyros, either damage with foul play, status with toxic, or pivot out into a faster threat. A lesser need for mandibuzz means a greater usage in corviknight as the two competed for the defogger role on teams

In the OLT videos i've seen, many high ladder players are running spdef hippowdon. What for? One of the youtubers, I think it was Finch, glossed over it saying it was for zeraora and specs dragapult, but there's gotta be other uses, right? Plus, Dragapult can run Hydro Pump, Scald, or Surf on its specs sets if spdef Hippo sees more usage. Also, these two mons are hit hard my earthquake, what is rock slide used for and why over stone edge, since rock slide flinches aren't a thing because hippo is so slow.

Essentially, why run spdef hippo and why run it with rock slide?

In the OLT videos i've seen, many high ladder players are running spdef hippowdon. What for? One of the youtubers, I think it was Finch, glossed over it saying it was for zeraora and specs dragapult, but there's gotta be other uses, right? Plus, Dragapult can run Hydro Pump, Scald, or Surf on its specs sets if spdef Hippo sees more usage. Also, these two mons are hit hard my earthquake, what is rock slide used for and why over stone edge, since rock slide flinches aren't a thing because hippo is so slow.

Essentially, why run spdef hippo and why run it with rock slide?
I'd imagine Rock Slide is for Volcarona.

0 Atk Hippowdon Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Volcarona: 340-400 (109.3 - 128.6%)

And it's used over Stone Edge for accuracy (and PP, but mostly accuracy). It's already strong enough to kill Volc, you don't need any more power.

Apologize if this has been asked, but what makes Urshifu Single Strike less threatening in OU than in Nat Dex? Surprised it got banned there yet not in OU despite the higher power of nat dex.

Perish Song

flaunt
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Apologize if this has been asked, but what makes Urshifu Single Strike less threatening in OU than in Nat Dex? Surprised it got banned there yet not in OU despite the higher power of nat dex.
It is not appropriate to compare the two metas with each other. Nat Dex is an entirely different metagame that is shaped completely different than OU, as NatDex offers Z moves, Megas, every other Pokemon that isn't available in OU, and the removed moves. Why it is not banned here is that common defensive Pokemon such as Mandibuzz and Toxapex does a good job at handling Urshifu, while it is also possible to revenge kill it with faster Pokemon such as Unburden Hawlucha, Rillaboom, Alakazam, etc. Overall its not a ridiculously powerful Pokemon.

Last edited:
Additionally to what PerishSong said, there are a lot of people who would like to look into Urshifu-S for its effect on limiting team building in addition to its generally dominant matchup against stall and balance. It takes time for a metagame to develop, though, and Cinderace, Magearna, and Toxapex are all more pressing issues that are either being discussed now or were already banned, and the metagame needs time to adjust to these changes.

Why are certain topics banned in metagame discussions? for example Deoxys-Defense is a banned discussion topic in nat dex (or was; i haven't checked)

Edit: it's more of an overall smogon question, but i imagine it could be answered here. thank you for any replies

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)