Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

I saw someone use a brilliant Blaziken set. It involved using Work Up, then Solar Beam with a Power Herb to lure checks like Tapu Fini. I'm thinking of using a similar one, what do you think the optimal EV spread would be?
I'm also unsure for the fourth move to use, apart from Work Up/Solarbeam/Close Combat - probably Fire Blast, but unsure if there's a better choice?

Shaymin Sky

Unban me from Ubers UU : (
is a Pre-Contributor
I saw someone use a brilliant Blaziken set. It involved using Work Up, then Solar Beam with a Power Herb to lure checks like Tapu Fini. I'm thinking of using a similar one, what do you think the optimal EV spread would be?
I'm also unsure for the fourth move to use, apart from Work Up/Solarbeam/Close Combat - probably Fire Blast, but unsure if there's a better choice?
I don't advise this set as SD thunderpunch does the exact same thing but better arguably, but if you insist first off I think the last move should be flare blitz as there's no risk of missing, Blaziken is stronger physically, and flare blitz is stronger in base damage.

Second the optimal spread would be
EVs: 224 Atk / 32 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
This spread essentially allow solar beam at +1 to ohko slowbro with stealth rocks up since many still run rocky helmet or even colbur berry sometimes over HDB. The rest goes into attack, along with maximum speed for best use of speed boost and a naive nature to avoid being revenge killed by physical priority moves.

Katy

Banned deucer.
How doed future sight interact with psychic terrain?
Future Sight power gets boosted by Psychic Terrain just like Thunderbolt from a Tapu Koko gets boosted by its Electric Surge ability summoning the appropiate Terrain. In this case Future Sight gets boosted when Tapu Lele uses it regardless of if you swap out your Tapu Lele or not. BUT you only get the boost due to Psychic Terrain as long as the Terrain is up.

Future Sight power gets boosted by Psychic Terrain just like Thunderbolt from a Tapu Koko gets boosted by its Electric Surge ability summoning the appropiate Terrain. In this case Future Sight gets boosted when Tapu Lele uses it regardless of if you swap out your Tapu Lele or not. BUT you only get the boost due to Psychic Terrain as long as the Terrain is up.
This is wrong; it only gets the Psychic Terrain boost if Tapu Lele is still on the field.

I don't advise this set as SD thunderpunch does the exact same thing but better arguably, but if you insist first off I think the last move should be flare blitz as there's no risk of missing, Blaziken is stronger physically, and flare blitz is stronger in base damage.

Second the optimal spread would be
EVs: 224 Atk / 32 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
This spread essentially allow solar beam at +1 to ohko slowbro with stealth rocks up since many still run rocky helmet or even colbur berry sometimes over HDB. The rest goes into attack, along with maximum speed for best use of speed boost and a naive nature to avoid being revenge killed by physical priority moves.
Thank you! I completely forgot Blaziken even got Thunder Punch, d'oh. Appreciate your response though!

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Does G-Slowbros Quick Draw activate in Psychic Terrain? I would assume no considering other priority type abilities being negated but wanted a confirmation. Thanks.

This is wrong; it only gets the Psychic Terrain boost if Tapu Lele is still on the field.
I haven't tested this in the main series games, so it's possible Pokémon Showdown has it programmed incorrectly, but after doing some testing (replay link here: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1236375965-6et6dhhjeaqdxnu8lhj6wstfmhrz5g1pw) I have found that Katy's original answer was correct and Future Sight receives a boost as long as Psychic Terrain is up when the move hits, even if Tapu Lele has switched out.
The damage calcs are as follows:
252 SpA Tapu Lele Future Sight vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran in Psychic Terrain: 88-104 (22.7 - 26.9%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Tapu Lele Future Sight vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 67-80 (17.3 - 20.7%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
These are consistent with the damage in the replay showing that Future Sight still gets the boost after Tapu Lele is switched out.

I haven't tested this in the main series games, so it's possible Pokémon Showdown has it programmed incorrectly, but after doing some testing (replay link here: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1236375965-6et6dhhjeaqdxnu8lhj6wstfmhrz5g1pw) I have found that Katy's original answer was correct and Future Sight receives a boost as long as Psychic Terrain is up when the move hits, even if Tapu Lele has switched out.
The damage calcs are as follows:
252 SpA Tapu Lele Future Sight vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran in Psychic Terrain: 88-104 (22.7 - 26.9%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Tapu Lele Future Sight vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 67-80 (17.3 - 20.7%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
These are consistent with the damage in the replay showing that Future Sight still gets the boost after Tapu Lele is switched out.
from what I can read from bulbapedia, which is the only source that I found to say something relevant:
Future Sight now calculates its damage when it hits rather than when it is selected. Future Sight uses the user's Special Attack and the hit Pokémon's Special Defense at the time damage is dealt.

this seems to confirm what you said, I just wanted to write it so it may be easier to understand why, and how it impacts other stuff.

I just tested to see if the mechanics changed, and from these replays it doesn't seem like they did. I put the damage that the moves shouldve done in the chat.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8cap-1236472142-xn2uztx542jcz0crn0h4x8xuo1zpjzxpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8cap-1236474288-bvixq85o8izxkpmztnxu3q2v0sliyqcpw
Original Question from Livio ElTito: How doed future sight interact with psychic terrain?

The original question here was how Future Sight relates to Psychic Terrain, not Choice Specs. The Choice Specs (1.5x) boost is lost when the Pokémon is swapped out, yes. But the Psychic Terrain (1.3x) boost is not lost, so long as terrain remains up when the move hits. I believe that is where your confusion lies. You have answered the wrong (but equally interesting) question.

Conclusions:
- If a choice specs Pokémon swaps out after using future sight, the 1.5x boost is lost.
- If future sight hits when Psychic Terrain is up, even if the original Pokémon was swapped out, it still receives a 1.3x power boost. If Terrain isn't up when the move hits, it doesn't receive the 1.3x power boost. This is the answer to the original question.

Can Slowbro-G still be used on HO as a legit threat or is it completely redundant and if its usable what type of HO does it fit in and what are its main partners

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Can Slowbro-G still be used on HO as a legit threat or is it completely redundant and if its usable what type of HO does it fit in and what are its main partners
It is still usable in the same sense as before: it is unreliable and cheesy, but if odds pull in its favor, then it can destroy any team lacking an Unaware Pokemon. The main difference is simply loftier competition for slots on these HOs, which is troublesome. It does well alongside Paralysis and screens, but you can argue pairing it with Grassy Terrain can improve its standing as well.

It is still usable in the same sense as before: it is unreliable and cheesy, but if odds pull in its favor, then it can destroy any team lacking an Unaware Pokemon. The main difference is simply loftier competition for slots on these HOs, which is troublesome. It does well alongside Paralysis and screens, but you can argue pairing it with Grassy Terrain can improve its standing as well.
Sorry for spamming but what would an optimal set look like?

Katy

Banned deucer.
What changed to all Blissey to take back the crown as the blob of choice for OU?
Blissey can afford to run Heavy-Duty Boots, therefore making it a great defensive answer to a plethora of specially attacking threats such as Kingdra, Tapu Lele, and Magearna. It is also bulkier than Chansey in the aspect when Chanseys Eviolite gets knocked off / removed it is much more vulnerable than Blissey. Blissey can also function as a great utility Pokemon with Teleport and Thunder Wave / Toxic. Blissey is just better in that aspect as in conclusion, losing Heavy-Duty Boots hurts it less than Chansey losing its Eviolite.

Zneon

uh oh
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
What changed to all Blissey to take back the crown as the blob of choice for OU?
Are you asking why Blissey is better than Chansey in the metagame? If you are, then it is solely due to Heavy-Duty Boots. Which makes it better than Chansey considerably due to still being extremely bulky while nullifying Chansey's biggest weakness which is its susceptibility to hazards and over reliance on its Eviolite, making Blissey a far more splashable Pokemon on bulky offensive and balance teams because of this while Chansey is more viable on staller builds due to its better bulk.

What is the normal set for this Mixed Garchomp I keep hearing whispers of? I haven't been able to discern it from the last round of usage stats.

Shaymin Sky

Unban me from Ubers UU : (
is a Pre-Contributor
What is the normal set for this Mixed Garchomp I keep hearing whispers of? I haven't been able to discern it from the last round of usage stats.
Chain chomp, aka Draco, Fire blast, Swords dance, Earthquake is the traditional mixed garchomp set in the past gens but I haven't really seen it get any real use in this meta as of yet or usage either, so I am going to assume you mean a mixed tank chomp set. Tank chomp typically runs EQ, Fire blast, Stealth rock, and toxic/dragon tail. I wouldn't really call this a "mixed set" though as it really only uses fire blast to hit steels but if you wanted the offensive mixed set use the chain chomp set I stated at the top.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)