Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
This thread is for simple questions that need relatively simple answers. Quote the question you are answering to help keep things organized. If you were considering making a thread to ask "Why was Magearna unbanned???" or "Was Recover nerfed?" I'd recommend asking those questions here instead. For simple questions related to Smogon ask here. For in-game help / info check the Orange Islands subforum; the OU subforum is for competitive discussion only.

As a reminder because something like this is posted often:
  • In threads discussing the metagame, do not assume any particular Pokémon nor abilities are banned. Additionally, do not suggest that certain Pokémon or abilities should be banned, suspected, or that they will probably be banned. Finally, do not post predictions on which Pokémon or abilities will be banned. Likewise, don't suggest that certain Pokémon or abilities should be unbanned.
  • Do NOT talk about dropping Pokemon from Ubers. This is not the place for that. PM a council member if you want more information.
Please make sure to read the FAQ below before asking your question. It may already be covered.
Q: Why is X not implemented correctly on PS?
Implementing a new generation on PS is a lot of work and everything won't be coded properly on the first days. PS developpers are working on it, and some mechanics need to be tested in game first before being implemented, which takes more time.

Q: Why is X banned/not banned yet?
OU council is keeping a close eye on the metagame and how it evolves. Things are always a bit chaotic on new gen start, but unhealthy and broken Pokemon/mechanics will end being banned or suspect tested sooner or later. This thread is not a place to ask for specific bans/unbans. If you want to see the reasonning on a banned Pokemon, lurk a bit in the forum and you should find a thread about its ban.

Q: Is X Pokemon viable in OU?
A Viability Rankings thread will be made as soon as we are able to rank all the Pokemon of this new metagame properly. This thread lists all the viable Pokemon in OU and rank them in category from the most viable to the least viable.

Q: Where can I find usage stats?
Usage stats can be found here. Naviguate through the months and select the tier you want to see (like gen9ou). Please note that they are updated at the end of each month, and the first SV usage stats in november will only cover a few days of a very chaotic metagame.

Q: What is a suspect test?
In order to decide if a given Pokemon/move/mechanic should be banned or unbanned from the tier, the council can decide to let the community vote through a process called a suspect test. During two weeks, you will have to play on the OU ladder under a new username using a given prefix to try reaching requirements which are a minimum GXE for a given number of games played. Posting a proof of reaching these requirements will allow you to take part to a vote to decide the outcome of the suspect test.

Q: I made this team, can I have advices to improve it?
This is not the place to ask for feedback on your team and you should make a thread in the RMT forum instead. Please make sure to read their rules before doing so, and in particular to add some description to your team in order to help raters understand your choices.

Last edited:

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
What does these unreleased pokemon like Greninja mean? That they'd be available once pokmeon home drops? And also, am I seeing this game right? Did gamefreak just seriously name these animals as 'Flutter Mane', 'Roaring Moon', or 'Great Tusk'? Is this final? Wtf kind of names is this

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
What does these unreleased pokemon like Greninja mean? That they'd be available once pokmeon home drops? And also, am I seeing this game right? Did gamefreak just seriously name these animals as 'Flutter Mane', 'Roaring Moon', or 'Great Tusk'? Is this final? Wtf kind of names is this
Unreleased Pokemon will be available at a later date if they are rumored to be in the game through things like Home, but not everything is there now and some things may never be released, which would hold true to what we saw last generation.

Yes, they had some interesting naming conventions.

If you'd like, you could call them by their code names:
A-Donphan (Great Tusk), B-Donphan (Iron Threads), etc. With some quirks (Roaring Moon is AAAAA, Iron Valiant is BBBBB and Iron Bundle is B-Ice)

The new wind based abilities, wind rider and wind power, work with sand and snow from what I've heard. But what I'm unsure about is if these abilities only activate on the initial turn that weather is setup or each subsequent turn as well? I know for tailwind it only activates at the beginning but weather usually has the "weather is active" text that pops up every turn so I feel like it may proc it.

Battle
In the above battle turn 19, i used Last resort and it failed. My pokemon only knew 1 move(ie-last resort) and still it failed. Is there any mechanic changes with Last Resort ?

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Battle
In the above battle turn 19, i used Last resort and it failed. My pokemon only knew 1 move(ie-last resort) and still it failed. Is there any mechanic changes with Last Resort ?
For starters, as CadmusRhodium speculates, Last Resort mandates the user to have another move in its set to function as per Bulbapedia here.

In addition, any questions geared towards Little Cup may be best directed to their thread for future reference. On general topics like this, we are happy to assist though.

When are we going to have an early version of Viability Rankings?

Plus, is Toxic Spikes :gengar: a thing? I've been running it, but it seems to be so weak in this hostile environment. It seems to pass through Defoggers using Thunderbolt for metal birds (:skarmory: and :corviknight:), but I don't know. The hazard wars in this gen are crazy.

On hyper offense. what is your counterplay to CB palafin esp in rain? it just spams jet punch like no tomorrow esp against sweepers and u just pretty much have to sack a mon even if your resist gets weakened by just a bit. I personally use tera water garchomp with helmet but idk since that seems like not the best use of tera esp since i may bust it out earlier, so what counterplay have you guys used?

Do you guys think that Quaquaval usage should pick up if and when palafin-hero gets banhammered? I personally think it will because Quaquaval is really good in its own right and the only reason people aren't running it is palafin-hero being broken from what I see.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)