Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
What is this AoA type sets sets that have been mentioned in the discussion thread? What does it stand for?

Milo

I'm Your Man
is a Community Contributor
Is there someplace outside of the sample teams thread, where the best teams made by the OU community are cataloged?
There is the OU Project Teams of the Week and The Official Teams of the Week which hold selected teams usually built by prominent players, as well as the OU Bazaar which anyone can post their teams in.
If your Pawmot is Tera Electric, are you able to keep using Double Shock with no repercussion?
If Pawmot has Terasrallized with Tera Electric, then Double Shock will not make it Typeless. It will keep the Electric Type.

I really want to build a team centered around Gholdengo and Garchomp, but not sure where to go from there?

This team is a great example, but I don’t want to duplicate.
https://pokepast.es/cb62e814918d0468

Simple questions is this: what are some Pokémon that could be good additions/synergies well?

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Is fortress viable in ou at all this gen?

It's UU, but I think it's generally viable it is not ranked currently in the viability ranking but I can see it being D tier.

Provides solid physical bulk, as well as pivoting ability with Volt Switch and you get Rapid Spin and a Spikes / Toxic Spikes setter. There's probably just better options but you're very limited with a Mon that can setup Spikes and Rapid Spin in Gen 9.

It's UU, but I think it's generally viable it is not ranked currently in the viability ranking but I can see it being D tier.

Provides solid physical bulk, as well as pivoting ability with Volt Switch and you get Rapid Spin and a Spikes / Toxic Spikes setter. There's probably just better options but you're very limited with a Mon that can setup Spikes and Rapid Spin in Gen 9.
Ye he has a very nice typing and physical bulk but the less said about his low spdef the better. Through no competition from ferrothorn and ice spinner is nice.

Among the Protean users, why is the following true?

:cinderace: > :greninja: > :meowscarada:

That is, what's the most important difference? Move pool? Typing? Stats? A combination of these?

Protean=Libero
I'm borrowing the symbol a>b from math to imply that a is better than b

Among the Protean users, why is the following true?

:cinderace: > :greninja: > :meowscarada:

That is, what's the most important difference? Move pool? Typing? Stats? A combination of these?

Protean=Libero
I'm borrowing the symbol a>b from math to imply that a is better than b
I haven't met many people who argue that Cinderace is the best of the bunch.
I've seen Meowscarada as the top due to its invaluable speed tier, Greninja at the top for being a special attacking water type (which we do need a fair bit of) that also beats Garg basically 100% of the time w Grass Knot, but rarely do I see Cinderace.

I think Cinderace is ranked higher on the Viability rankings, which is in part because Greninja hasn't been added yet and people are frequently nominating Meowscarada for a rise.

I know this might be too soon but I have already decided that Walking Wake will be the centerpiece and ace of my team. Any teammates that will be great support for him?

I know this might be too soon but I have already decided that Walking Wake will be the centerpiece and ace of my team. Any teammates that will be great support for him?
Wake is uniquely suited to be a Water-type Sun sweeper. So with that in mind, some great teammates for that particular playstyle are:

:torkoal: Torkoal as the setter of said sun while also acting as a physical tank, spinner, rock setter, and status spreader
:great tusk: Great Tusk is still able to do everything it does but even better in the sun. It can do most of what Torkoal does but also has Knock Off and incredible offensive capabilities
:hatterene: Hatterene keeps hazards out with Magic Bounce, keeps the team healthy with Healing Wish sets, and can take a hit for your team and use Eject Button to safely bring in an offensive threat like Wake or just eat the Dragon type moves that threaten Wake outright.

Some other options are Protosynthesis mons like Roaring Moon and Brute Bonnet which become extremely hard hitters under the sun. And, of course, Fire types love 50% boosts to their STAB moves. Notably Skeledirge and Ceruledge provide defensive utility with good bulk and Unaware and Flash Fire respectively.

:roaring moon::brute bonnet::skeledirge::ceruledge:

Wake is uniquely suited to be a Water-type Sun sweeper. So with that in mind, some great teammates for that particular playstyle are:

:torkoal: Torkoal as the setter of said sun while also acting as a physical tank, spinner, rock setter, and status spreader
:great tusk: Great Tusk is still able to do everything it does but even better in the sun. It can do most of what Torkoal does but also has Knock Off and incredible offensive capabilities
:hatterene: Hatterene keeps hazards out with Magic Bounce, keeps the team healthy with Healing Wish sets, and can take a hit for your team and use Eject Button to safely bring in an offensive threat like Wake or just eat the Dragon type moves that threaten Wake outright.

Some other options are Protosynthesis mons like Roaring Moon and Brute Bonnet which become extremely hard hitters under the sun. And, of course, Fire types love 50% boosts to their STAB moves. Notably Skeledirge and Ceruledge provide defensive utility with good bulk and Unaware and Flash Fire respectively.

:roaring moon::brute bonnet::skeledirge::ceruledge:
Thank you! Would be so happy to have Skeledirge as his teammate! Do you think Baxcalibur and Kinggambit would benefit him or nah?

Thank you! Would be so happy to have Skeledirge as his teammate! Do you think Baxcalibur and Kinggambit would benefit him or nah?
Baxcalibur could work well as an extremely hard hitter who can take your opponent's Sun-boosted Fire moves and get a boost out of them. Kingambit on the other hand is not a huge fan of stronger Fire moves, but with Tera it could work well due to how good Kingambit is right now. I would however warn against filling your team with just slow but powerful physical attackers as teammates; support mons like the Great Tusks, Hatterenes, and especially Torkoals I mentioned can keep your team healthy and hazard-free while also enabling your big hitters are key to your success. Of course, Great Tusk and Hatterene are not your only options for this, they are just very strong picks, Torkoal though is your only option in OU for sun.

Last edited:
Baxcalibur could work well as an extremely hard hitter who can take your opponent's Sun-boosted Fire moves and get a boost out of them. Kingambit on the other hand is not a huge fan of stronger Fire moves, but with Tera it could work well due to how good Kingambit is right now. I would however warn against filling your team with just slow but powerful physical attackers as teammates; support mons like the Great Tusks, Hatterenes, and especially Torkoals I mentioned can keep your team healthy and hazard-free while also enabling your big hitters are key to your success. Of course, Great Tusk and Hatterene are not your only options for this, they are just very strong picks, Torkoal though is your only option in OU for sun.

Thanks! Will definitely have my team be Skeledirge, Baxcalibur, Walking Wake and the others be may Tandeamus since it's fast? Clodsire could work but wondering if Clodsire or Glimmora fits better?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)