Research Scarlet & Violet Battle Mechanics Research

3d

Prada shoes cuz she prada me
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
This math doesn't seem correct no? If hydro steam really did get a sun boost on top of a power boost, the multiplier would be 1.5 (Power boost) * 1.5 (Sun boost) * 1.3 (Protosynthesis) which is closer to a 2.925x power boost. Which is a whole .7x off of the difference in power we actually saw (2.283x). It seems significantly more likely that this has more to do with disparate damage rolls with a small sample size no?
yea ur right. i did some more tests with life orb out of sun / speed boosting proto and the rest of them lined up with it being 80bp + sun boosted + proto. it definitely isnt 120bp so i mightve messed up with my calcs somewhere since i was changing a lot.

i edited that part out but i left in the part about the umbrella's interaction with hydro steam in sun since that is actually implemented wrong.

i also realized the 33% decrease accounts for a proto boost + 50% drop.

0 SpA Protosynthesis Flutter Mane Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slither Wing in Sun: 33-40 (17.1 - 20.8%) -- possible 5HKO
(125spatk, water type)

I was looking at the Zoom Lens page on Bulbapedia and I saw this:
1677564341785.png

I know it isn't the most relevant item, but do we know how exaclty Zoom Lens works in these cases?

yea ur right. i did some more tests with life orb out of sun / speed boosting proto and the rest of them lined up with it being 80bp + sun boosted + proto. it definitely isnt 120bp so i mightve messed up with my calcs somewhere since i was changing a lot.

i edited that part out but i left in the part about the umbrella's interaction with hydro steam in sun since that is actually implemented wrong.

i also realized the 33% decrease accounts for a proto boost + 50% drop.

0 SpA Protosynthesis Flutter Mane Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slither Wing in Sun: 33-40 (17.1 - 20.8%) -- possible 5HKO
(125spatk, water type)
So it gets the 50% sun boost on top of it going from 80 to 120 bp?

3d

Prada shoes cuz she prada me
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
So it gets the 50% sun boost on top of it going from 80 to 120 bp?
No.

it’s a 80 bp move that just gets a 50% sun boost.

the 2nd half of my original post was wrong so I edited out. What intrigued me was the 28%-64% change in power (which lead me to the double 1.5x thought.) but after some tests i got the same roll in rain + life orb and at +1 spatk + life orb so it is not 120bp + sun.

No.

it’s a 80 bp move that just gets a 50% sun boost.

the 2nd half of my original post was wrong so I edited out. What intrigued me was the 28%-64% change in power (which lead me to the double 1.5x thought.) but after some tests i got the same roll in rain + life orb and at +1 spatk + life orb so it is not 120bp + sun.
ok cool ty! good to know its not THAT crazy

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
There were some changes to learnsets/stats in 1.2.0 compared to 1.1.0:

- Kubfu's Hidden Ability was changed from No Guard back to Inner Focus.
- Calyrex-Ice had Aromatherapy at level 40 replaced with Psychic Terrain.
- Gastrodon-East now naturally learns Earth Power at level 39, matching Gastrodon-West (previously could only learn via TM).
- Zoroark-Hisui's BST was changed back to PLA - 55.100.60.125.60.110 (BST: 510)
- Kleavor's BST was changed back to PLA - 70.135.95.45.70.85 (BST: 500)

There was a lot of cleanup of irrelevant moves (e.g. previous personal had TM moves that weren't available via TM, such as Scald on Luvdisc, and this patch removed lots of them).

Last edited:
There was a lot of cleanup of irrelevant moves (e.g. previous personal had TM moves that weren't available via TM, such as Scald on Luvdisc, and this patch removed lots of them).
were the egg moves for luvdisc, cacnea, and zangoose fixed in the latest patch? The former two had none and the latter had them all listed as relearn moves instead.

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
were the egg moves for luvdisc, cacnea, and zangoose fixed in the latest patch? The former two had none and the latter had them all listed as relearn moves instead.
I listed all relevant changes that would be visible.

e.g. our personal dump only shows visible changes, and there were no differences for Zangoose between patches.
======
335 - Zangoose #217 (Stage: 2)
======
Base Stats: 73.115.60.60.60.90 (BST: 458)
EV Yield: 0.2.0.0.0.0
Gender Ratio: 127
Catch Rate: 90
Abilities: Immunity (1) | Immunity (2) | Toxic Boost (H)
Type: Normal
EXP Group: Erratic
Egg Group: Field
Height: 01.30m, Weight: 040.3kg, Color: White
Level Up Moves:
- [01] Scratch
- [01] Leer
- [05] Quick Attack
- [08] Fury Cutter
- [12] Metal Claw
- [15] Hone Claws
- [19] Slash
- [22] Power Trip
- [26] Crush Claw
- [29] False Swipe
- [33] Switcheroo
- [36] Detect
- [40] X-Scissor
- [43] Taunt
- [47] Swords Dance
- [50] Close Combat
TM Learn:
- [TM001] Take Down
- [TM004] Agility
- [TM007] Protect
- [TM012] Low Kick
- [TM018] Thief
- [TM025] Facade
- [TM027] Aerial Ace
- [TM031] Metal Claw
- [TM032] Swift
- [TM034] Icy Wind
- [TM036] Rock Tomb
- [TM039] Low Sweep
- [TM043] Fling
- [TM047] Endure
- [TM049] Sunny Day
- [TM050] Rain Dance
- [TM055] Dig
- [TM057] False Swipe
- [TM058] Brick Break
- [TM059] Zen Headbutt
- [TM061] Shadow Claw
- [TM066] Body Slam
- [TM067] Fire Punch
- [TM068] Thunder Punch
- [TM069] Ice Punch
- [TM070] Sleep Talk
- [TM071] Seed Bomb
- [TM081] Grass Knot
- [TM082] Thunder Wave
- [TM083] Poison Jab
- [TM085] Rest
- [TM086] Rock Slide
- [TM087] Taunt
- [TM088] Swords Dance
- [TM102] Gunk Shot
- [TM103] Substitute
- [TM105] X-Scissor
- [TM112] Aura Sphere
- [TM114] Shadow Ball
- [TM123] Surf
- [TM125] Flamethrower
- [TM126] Thunderbolt
- [TM130] Helping Hand
- [TM132] Baton Pass
- [TM134] Reversal
- [TM135] Ice Beam
- [TM141] Fire Blast
- [TM143] Blizzard
- [TM152] Giga Impact
- [TM158] Focus Blast
- [TM163] Hyper Beam
- [TM166] Thunder
- [TM167] Close Combat
- [TM168] Solar Beam
- [TM171] Tera Blast
Reminder:
- Double Kick
- Disable
- Counter
- Fury Swipes
- Curse
- Flail
- Belly Drum
- Feint
- Night Slash
- Double Hit
- Quick Guard

Huh I thought those unlabeled lists were accessible by relearn in all cases. Like, isn't that list where Slowking has Chilly Reception?

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Huh I thought those unlabeled lists were accessible by relearn in all cases. Like, isn't that list where Slowking has Chilly Reception?
She's saying Luvdisc's TM list had Scald on it (one example among many Pokemon), nothing about unlabeled lists. Usable TMs in the Pokemon data are not listed by TM number, but by move index number. Scald's 503 doesn't match any TM in these games, so it couldn't be learned and was completely irrelevant unless they decided to add a Scald TM later. It was just taking up space for no reason, so they deleted things like this in v1.2.0.

She's saying Luvdisc's TM list had Scald on it (one example among many Pokemon), nothing about unlabeled lists. Usable TMs in the Pokemon data are not listed by TM number, but by move index number. Scald's 503 doesn't match any TM in these games, so it couldn't be learned and was completely irrelevant unless they decided to add a Scald TM later. It was just taking up space for no reason, so they deleted things like this in v1.2.0.
Ok so I see where I got confused. Early versions of the dump lists I saw had the "reminder only" moves sorted in with the invalid TM moves in one unlabeled array, basically a "we found these in the list but don't know where they're used" kind of thing. Looking at the lists now they're rightfully sorted out. So sorting out things that the Kaphotics paste has listed as Reminder now,

Azurill Snore
Azurill Iron Tail
Luvdisc Snore
Luvdisc Whirlpool
Luvdisc Hail
Luvdisc Dive
Luvdisc Bounce
Luvdisc Brine
Luvdisc Round
Luvdisc Scald
Luvdisc Scale Shot
Luvdisc Flip Turn
Kricketot Uproar
Uxie Tri Attack
Uxie Snore
Uxie Safeguard
Uxie Iron Tail
Uxie Psycho Cut
Uxie Wonder Room
Uxie Magic Room
Uxie Round
Uxie Ally Switch
Uxie Expanding Force
Mesprit Tri Attack
Mesprit Snore
Mesprit Safeguard
Mesprit Iron Tail
Mesprit Psycho Cut
Mesprit Wonder Room
Mesprit Magic Room
Mesprit Round
Mesprit Ally Switch
Mesprit Expanding Force
Azelf Self-Destruct
Azelf Tri Attack
Azelf Snore
Azelf Safeguard
Azelf Iron Tail
Azelf Payback
Azelf Assurance
Azelf Psycho Cut
Azelf Wonder Room
Azelf Magic Room
Azelf Round
Azelf Ally Switch
Azelf Expanding Force
Sprigatito Snore
Sprigatito Payback
Sprigatito Tail Slap
Floragato Snore
Floragato Payback
Tarountula Snore
Tarountula Attract
Tarountula Safeguard
Tarountula Weather Ball
Tarountula Power Whip
Tarountula Round
Tarountula Work Up
Tarountula Grassy Glide
Rabsca Bounce
Farigiraf Snore
Farigiraf Attract
Farigiraf Future Sight
Farigiraf Beat Up
Palafin Flail
Palafin Bounce
Palafin-1 Flail
Palafin-1 Bounce
Fidough Bounce
Dachsbun Bounce
Iron Moth Bounce
Iron Thorns Bounce
Kingambit Screech
Kingambit Snore
Kingambit Payback
Kingambit Throat Chop
Annihilape Mega Kick
Annihilape Snore
Annihilape Revenge
Annihilape Payback
Annihilape Throat Chop
^ This is all gone compared to 1.1?

Anubis

HONK
Ok so I see where I got confused. Early versions of the dump lists I saw had the "reminder only" moves sorted in with the invalid TM moves in one unlabeled array, basically a "we found these in the list but don't know where they're used" kind of thing. Looking at the lists now they're rightfully sorted out. So sorting out things that the Kaphotics paste has listed as Reminder now,

Azurill Snore
Azurill Iron Tail
Luvdisc Snore
Luvdisc Whirlpool
Luvdisc Hail
Luvdisc Dive
Luvdisc Bounce
Luvdisc Brine
Luvdisc Round
Luvdisc Scald
Luvdisc Scale Shot
Luvdisc Flip Turn
Kricketot Uproar
Uxie Tri Attack
Uxie Snore
Uxie Safeguard
Uxie Iron Tail
Uxie Psycho Cut
Uxie Wonder Room
Uxie Magic Room
Uxie Round
Uxie Ally Switch
Uxie Expanding Force
Mesprit Tri Attack
Mesprit Snore
Mesprit Safeguard
Mesprit Iron Tail
Mesprit Psycho Cut
Mesprit Wonder Room
Mesprit Magic Room
Mesprit Round
Mesprit Ally Switch
Mesprit Expanding Force
Azelf Self-Destruct
Azelf Tri Attack
Azelf Snore
Azelf Safeguard
Azelf Iron Tail
Azelf Payback
Azelf Assurance
Azelf Psycho Cut
Azelf Wonder Room
Azelf Magic Room
Azelf Round
Azelf Ally Switch
Azelf Expanding Force
Sprigatito Snore
Sprigatito Payback
Sprigatito Tail Slap
Floragato Snore
Floragato Payback
Tarountula Snore
Tarountula Attract
Tarountula Safeguard
Tarountula Weather Ball
Tarountula Power Whip
Tarountula Round
Tarountula Work Up
Tarountula Grassy Glide
Rabsca Bounce
Farigiraf Snore
Farigiraf Attract
Farigiraf Future Sight
Farigiraf Beat Up
Palafin Flail
Palafin Bounce
Palafin-1 Flail
Palafin-1 Bounce
Fidough Bounce
Dachsbun Bounce
Iron Moth Bounce
Iron Thorns Bounce
Kingambit Screech
Kingambit Snore
Kingambit Payback
Kingambit Throat Chop
Annihilape Mega Kick
Annihilape Snore
Annihilape Revenge
Annihilape Payback
Annihilape Throat Chop
^ This is all gone compared to 1.1?
Again, I've already posted all visible, relevant changes in the diff. I did not manually check every single irrelevant change that you listed above. Many of the ones you did list are gone now.

Haha, no worries, I'm just realizing I had some mistakes in my personal data set that I need to rectify now. I'd be happy to go over a diff myself if you have them both in the raw format.

Bizarre that Zangoose still has a whole pile of relearner moves where he should have egg moves though when they did a decent job cleaning up the rest.

Haha, no worries, I'm just realizing I had some mistakes in my personal data set that I need to rectify now. I'd be happy to go over a diff myself if you have them both in the raw format.

Bizarre that Zangoose still has a whole pile of relearner moves where he should have egg moves though when they did a decent job cleaning up the rest.
I mean it doesn't really matter? It can learn them either way.

I took a stab at checking Utility Umbrella Hydro Steam, and it’s weird. My Walking Wake with Utility Umbrella in sun and 236 SpA at +4 did 295 damage to Chansey with 117 SpD using Hydro Steam. This is exactly in line with what Scald would do in the same conditions:
+4 Lvl 75 0+ SpA Protosynthesis Walking Wake Scald vs. Lvl 55 0 HP / 0- SpD Chansey in Sun: 256-303 (71.7 - 84.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Possible damage amounts: (256, 259, 262, 265, 268, 271, 274, 277, 280, 283, 286, 289, 292, 295, 298, 303)

The thing is, Utility Umbrella is supposed to only change how weather modifies damage against targets that hold one, so I tested without an Umbrella and Hydro Steam did damage that would be impossible if it were actually tripling BP but getting damage halved in sun, which leads me to suspect that Hydro Stream is actually doubling its own damage to counteract sun’s damage halving instead of just being exempt from it, and that double damage is negated by Utility Umbrella. I also tried giving a Chansey a Utility Umbrella, and this didn’t affect Hydro Steam’s damage at all.

Edit: if both the user and the target hold Utility Umbrellas, Hydro Steam will deal damage as if there was no sun at all.

Last edited:

Karthik

time heals all
is a Programmeris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Utility Umbrella is supposed to only change how weather modifies damage against targets that hold one
Well, not always. Utility Umbrella nullifies weather effects for the holder when Solar Beam is used (both its charge turn being removed in sun and its base power being reduced in non-sun weathers). Hydro Steam could be checking the weather the same way Solar Beam does.

Well, not always. Utility Umbrella nullifies weather effects for the holder when Solar Beam is used (both its charge turn being removed in sun and its base power being reduced in non-sun weathers). Hydro Steam could be checking the weather the same way Solar Beam does.
That’s base power, not damage. I was well aware of the Solar Beam interaction when I made the post. Now that I think about it, though, if Hydro Steam were doubling its damage in sun to offset the damage-halving, it would deal double damage to a target holding Utility Umbrella. It doesn’t, so something weirder is going on. Unless someone can find a setup that proves it doubles damage except against targets holding Utility Umbrella, I’m going to assume it gets an exemption from sun’s effect but not while holding an Umbrella.

Karthik

time heals all
is a Programmeris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Did some testing with Order Up after the patch. It does in fact not boost when it hits into a protect or misses, but I decided to do some testing with it and Sheer Force and found some interesting things.

- It is still always affected by Sheer Force. I tested this by giving Dondozo a Life Orb and used Order Up before and after eating a Tatsugiri, and Life Orb recoil was ignored both times.
- The boost still occurs even with Sheer Force as the ability.
- The boost still occurs at a pretty late timing, so even after things like Life Orb recoil.

So the boost is still not a secondary effect, and it still happens at around the same time as before so I wonder how exactly it got changed in the code.

That’s base power, not damage. I was well aware of the Solar Beam interaction when I made the post. Now that I think about it, though, if Hydro Steam were doubling its damage in sun to offset the damage-halving, it would deal double damage to a target holding Utility Umbrella. It doesn’t, so something weirder is going on. Unless someone can find a setup that proves it doubles damage except against targets holding Utility Umbrella, I’m going to assume it gets an exemption from sun’s effect but not while holding an Umbrella.
I recall Quark Drive and Hadron Engine are programmed to work even if the Pokemon does not interact with the Electric Terrain (due to Flying Typing like Iron Jugulis for example), and I think Protosynthesis similarly still boosts under Sun even with Umbrella. Is it possible a similar interaction is at play, whether Hydro Steam is "check if Sun is present" rather than for the reduction, or Utility Umbrella is set up as "bypass any check for Weather at all" rather than checking but negating the effects?

The latter could explain it as Hydro Steam skipping its "override Sun reduction + Boost" check by the user-with-Umbrella but still encountering "reduce Water Damage in Sun" check on the target; thus in "normal" play the Sun Reduction is still done, but Hydro Steam-in-Sun simply sets it to a 1x Multiplier to "remove" it rather than bypassing it entirely, and resulting in reduction if HS's user doesn't acknowledge the Sun. Hence when both have the Umbrella, the "Boost for Sun" and "reduce Water" checks both get skipped to end up at proper neutral.

Anubis

HONK
Hydro Steam isn't a Base Power modifier. It modifies damage through the weather modifier.

The weather modifier (sun) is:
- 4096 for both Pokémon holding umbrella
- 2048 for only the attacker holding umbrella
- 6144 for only the defender holding umbrella
- 6144 for no umbrellas involved

Level 100 Pawmot with 148 SpA using 80 BP Hydro Steam vs 51 SpD Girafarig did 197, 98, and 295 damage for each of the above 3 cases (max damage rolls).

It's also boosted in rain as expected for a water move.

Thread 2 "MainThread" hit Breakpoint 1, 0x000000529dcbf8f8 in ?? ()
$487 = 4096
$488 = "attack mod"
$489 = 148
$490 = "attack power before mod"

Thread 2 "MainThread" hit Breakpoint 6, 0x000000529dcbfc14 in ?? ()
$491 = 148
$492 = "attack power"

Thread 2 "MainThread" hit Breakpoint 2, 0x000000529dcc03d4 in ?? ()
$493 = 4096
$494 = "defense mod"
$495 = 51
$496 = "defense power before mod"

Thread 2 "MainThread" hit Breakpoint 9, 0x000000529dcc03e8 in ?? ()
$497 = 51
$498 = "defense power"

Thread 2 "MainThread" hit Breakpoint 7, 0x000000529dcc03f8 in ?? ()
$499 = 100
$500 = "attacker level"

Thread 2 "MainThread" hit Breakpoint 8, 0x000000529dcc03fc in ?? ()
$501 = 80
$502 = "move BP"

Thread 2 "MainThread" hit Breakpoint 11, 0x000000529dcc0a34 in ?? ()
$503 = 2048
$504 = "weather mod"

Thread 2 "MainThread" hit Breakpoint 10, 0x000000529dcc0a94 in ?? ()

Thread 2 "MainThread" hit Breakpoint 4, 0x000000529dcc0f30 in ?? ()
$505 = 4096
$506 = "STAB/tera mod"
$507 = 98
$508 = "damage before STAB/tera mod"

Thread 2 "MainThread" hit Breakpoint 3, 0x000000529dcc1234 in ?? ()
$509 = 4096
$510 = "damage mod"
$511 = 98
$512 = "damage before mod"

Thread 2 "MainThread" hit Breakpoint 5, 0x000000529dcc1344 in ?? ()
$513 = 98
$514 = "final damage"
Thread 12 "JobThread1" hit Breakpoint 1, 0x000000529dcbf8f8 in ?? ()
$431 = 4096
$432 = "attack mod"
$433 = 148
$434 = "attack power before mod"

Thread 12 "JobThread1" hit Breakpoint 6, 0x000000529dcbfc14 in ?? ()
$435 = 148
$436 = "attack power"

Thread 12 "JobThread1" hit Breakpoint 2, 0x000000529dcc03d4 in ?? ()
$437 = 4096
$438 = "defense mod"
$439 = 51
$440 = "defense power before mod"

Thread 12 "JobThread1" hit Breakpoint 9, 0x000000529dcc03e8 in ?? ()
$441 = 51
$442 = "defense power"

Thread 12 "JobThread1" hit Breakpoint 7, 0x000000529dcc03f8 in ?? ()
$443 = 100
$444 = "attacker level"

Thread 12 "JobThread1" hit Breakpoint 8, 0x000000529dcc03fc in ?? ()
$445 = 80
$446 = "move BP"

Thread 12 "JobThread1" hit Breakpoint 11, 0x000000529dcc0a34 in ?? ()
$447 = 6144
$448 = "weather mod"

Thread 12 "JobThread1" hit Breakpoint 10, 0x000000529dcc0a94 in ?? ()

Thread 12 "JobThread1" hit Breakpoint 4, 0x000000529dcc0f30 in ?? ()
$449 = 4096
$450 = "STAB/tera mod"
$451 = 295
$452 = "damage before STAB/tera mod"

Thread 12 "JobThread1" hit Breakpoint 3, 0x000000529dcc1234 in ?? ()
$453 = 4096
$454 = "damage mod"
$455 = 295
$456 = "damage before mod"

Thread 12 "JobThread1" hit Breakpoint 5, 0x000000529dcc1344 in ?? ()
$457 = 295
$458 = "final damage"

Psyblade is modifying Base Power by 6144 in Electric Terrain.
Thread 2 "MainThread" hit Breakpoint 11, 0x000000529dcbecb8 in ?? ()
$235 = 80
$236 = "base power"
$237 = 6144
$238 = "base power mod"

Thread 2 "MainThread" hit Breakpoint 7, 0x000000529dcbf8f8 in ?? ()
$239 = 4096
$240 = "attack mod"
$241 = 361
$242 = "attack power before mod"

Thread 2 "MainThread" hit Breakpoint 2, 0x000000529dcbfc14 in ?? ()
$243 = 361
$244 = "attack power"

Thread 2 "MainThread" hit Breakpoint 8, 0x000000529dcc03d4 in ?? ()
$245 = 4096
$246 = "defense mod"
$247 = 19
$248 = "defense power before mod"

Thread 2 "MainThread" hit Breakpoint 5, 0x000000529dcc03e8 in ?? ()
$249 = 19
$250 = "defense power"

Thread 2 "MainThread" hit Breakpoint 3, 0x000000529dcc03f8 in ?? ()
$251 = 100
$252 = "attacker level"

Thread 2 "MainThread" hit Breakpoint 4, 0x000000529dcc03fc in ?? ()
$253 = 120
$254 = "move BP"

Thread 2 "MainThread" hit Breakpoint 6, 0x000000529dcc0a94 in ?? ()

Thread 2 "MainThread" hit Breakpoint 10, 0x000000529dcc0f30 in ?? ()
$255 = 4096
$256 = "STAB/tera mod"
$257 = 1917
$258 = "damage before STAB/tera mod"

Thread 2 "MainThread" hit Breakpoint 9, 0x000000529dcc1234 in ?? ()
$259 = 4096
$260 = "damage mod"
$261 = 1917
$262 = "damage before mod"

Thread 2 "MainThread" hit Breakpoint 1, 0x000000529dcc1344 in ?? ()
$263 = 1917
$264 = "final damage"

Last edited:

Fragmented

procrastinating...
is a Pokemon Researcher
How does Sandstorm interact with Wind Power/Wind Rider? Bulbapedia claims it's a wind move, so is it like Tailwind?
From what I can test, using the move Sandstorm does not activate Wind Power/Wind Rider, nor does switching into Sandstorm cause them to activate. For Tailwind, Wind Rider activates on use and on switch-in, while Wind Power only activates on use.

In the right place this time:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'd like some clarification on tera and type-changing effects. If a Pokemon has its type changed via protean/soak/trick or treat/etc and then teras into the new type, does it super stab?

In addition, if a Pokemon has its type changed and then teras into its original type, does it get super stab?
1) Assuming you are teraing into a type [in our case being fairy] that you are not naturally, you will not get a 2x boost upon teraing neither will you get a 2x boost the following turn because of a mechanic we will address later, you will instead get a 1.5 which is the standard stab tera boost. However if you do wait a turn and protean into the type you want to terastalise into [in our case, proteaning into fairy with play rough and then terastalising the following turn into fairy] , you WILL receive the 2x boost as if you were teraing like you were a fairy to begin with. This is objectively the best way go about the process unless you're threatened turn 1 by something that can OHKO you [assuming you're not running sash] as you get the 1.5 boost and the type change that tera would provide, aswell as the oppurtunity to tera turn 2 and get that ever desired 2x boost. This actually makes a real world difference since with the full 2x boost , you can actually 3HKO dondozo even if it has leftovers.

2) Terastalisation block protean . Once you terastalise , protean as an ability get completely shut off and you function like a normal terastalised pokemon (ie) get an extra stab in addition to your natural stabs.

3) Switching out makes you lose the 2x boost that you previously worked so meticulously acquire which I will be honest , is a very fitting metaphor for life in general. This is because you reset your protean type change upon switching and since after teraing , protean is blocked , you no longer receive the 2x boost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 3)