Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Could somebody help me with a set for Roaming-Gimmighoul? I just really want to use my lil guy somehow, but no idea how to build him.

Could somebody help me with a set for Roaming-Gimmighoul? I just really want to use my lil guy somehow, but no idea how to build him.
Since this forum is for OU, I don't think too many people will try to run Roaming Gimmighoul. You might have some luck in Little Cup, especially right now since it just dropped and people are probably experimenting with it

View attachment 521432
What's the rationale behind this whole imprison/trapping thing? What information would leak, exactly?
Difficult to put it into words so I'll use an example.
Screenshot 2023-05-31 164210.png

This opposing Iron Valiant has Imprison, that it's clicked, and 3 other moves. You don't know what moves the opposing Iron Valiant has, but the moves they share are off the table. Now, our Iron Valiant has Moonblast, but if we try and click it...
Screenshot 2023-05-31 164429.png

Seems like my opponent's Valiant does, too.
Now, if we try and click Aura Sphere...
Screenshot 2023-05-31 164620.png

It works. Now, we know that the opposing Iron Valiant doesn't have Aura Sphere.
...Since I used Aura Sphere as my example, it's not perfect, but now that we know the Valiant doesn't have Aura Sphere, and do know it has Moonblast and Shadow Ball, we can guess the set to probably be Psyshock or Thunderbolt. That knowledge isn't something you could gleam without Imprison, and with scouting, canceling, and switching you get an information advantage you'd not be able to replicate on cart, I believe.
Best I got.

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
let's say I'm using kingambit and the opponent is great tusk

And I use tera fly and dig (don't ask why kingambit with dig)

Can the tusk still hit me?

let's say I'm using kingambit and the opponent is great tusk

And I use tera fly and dig (don't ask why kingambit with dig)

Can the tusk still hit me?
It will not. As I can tell, invulnerable states will bypass the accuracy check, but still run into actual type/ability based immunities.

It seems everyone is using Pokémon Showdown for compeditive ranked online battles.
Are there any alternatives? What makes Pokémon Showdown the best platform?

It seems everyone is using Pokémon Showdown for compeditive ranked online battles.
In this day and age no real alternative exists, it's free, open source, works well, and is actively updated, plus much faster and easier to use than cart.

Devs are tedious enough to update frequently, already a big community too so matchmaking is easy

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
What is the standard Magearna spread and Nature for the controversial CM/Shift Gear/Weakness Policy set?
:magearna:
Magearna @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Soul-Heart
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 72 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draining Kiss
- Stored Power
- Calm Mind
- Shift Gear

does anyone know where you can get advice on teams which isnt a room in showdown?
You can try the SV OU RMT subforum to get a rate on a completed team. Keep in mind the rules ask you to provide at least 3 lines of explanation of each Pokemon's role on the team.

Alternatively there are a number of other places you can try out that dont ask you to go super in depth, such as the Trainer Academy room on PS!, the OverUsed Discord, and the competitive related channels in the Official Smogon Discord. You can find the link to both of these servers here.

does anyone know where you can get advice on teams which isnt a room in showdown?
i know you’re asking for non-ps room avenues, but i’m voice in the ou room, and if you pm me whilst i’m online i’ll give you personalised pointers & help you optimise teams/sets/ev spreads. won’t really be active until mid next week, though

Reactions: AM

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
The above is true, but there are also more nuanced leads beyond that, such as:
  • Pokemon that have are a "threat" to the opposing team at large, that can open up holes or be an annoyance if given the opportunity
  • conversely, Pokemon that can deny a potential threat from the opponent, as to minimize their opportunities
This is part of why taking time at preview to identify threats from both sides is important.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)