Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers UU Edition

Any suggestions for partners for Dubwool?

:Dubwool: (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Fluffy
Happiness: 160
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Body Press
- Cotton Guard
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

32 Speed is to outsped Adamant Bewear
My only ideas where Mantine as a Fighting and Fire-type check
:Mantine: (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 124 SpD / 136 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Air Slash
- Haze
- Roost
And Toxic Spikes support, but I can't decide between Drapion or Runerigus

Just going to list some of the best Pokemon in the tier imo. The first three are what I and many members of the community would consider the most problematic aspects of UU. Kommo-o and Gengar are both extremely versatile and powerful threats in the tier while Obstagoon is probably our best wallbreaker with no real counters to Facade + Knock. Weavile is the fastest unboosted threat in the tier making it a phenomenal breaker and revenge killer. The rest have been discussed in the metagame thread so give that a read through.

(
/
)
Noivern @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Flamethrower
- Defog
- Roost

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 184 SpD / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Ice Punch

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Haze
- Recover

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Wish
- Protect
- Yawn / Haze

This is a core I have been using a lot on most of my BO teams as of late. Noivern is what I'd consider to be the best Defog user in the tier and checks a lot of the premier Fighting-types as well as Araquanid. Rhyperior is a great Stealth Rock user that checks a lot of threats like Obstagoon, Salazzle, Noivern, Braviary, etc. Then I really like the use of a bulky Water-type to pair with them to deal with the offensive Ice-types like Mamoswine and Weavile that tear the previous members apart. I'd use Vaporeon if you really value the Wish support. I also tend to tach on Whimsicott to this core but that's my preference.

Salazzle (F) @ Life Orb / Black Sludge
Ability: Corrosion
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Wave
- Fire Blast
- Toxic

Rotom-Mow @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm
- Nasty Plot
- Rest
OR
Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

This is a core I have been using and enjoyed a decent amount. These two synergize pretty well together as Salazzle's biggest problem is trying to break past some bulkier Ground- and Water-types like Milotic, Rhyperior, Pyukumuku etc. even if it can punish them with Toxic. Rotom-C is able to pivot into them and easily remove/force them out. It also provides Volt Switch momentum to bring Salazzle in safely against some of Rotom's common pivots like Whimsicott, Roserade, etc. that Lazzle takes advantage of. It's best to pair these two with something that can pivot into and revenge kill Kommo-o such as Sylveon or Silvally-Fairy, the latter making a Voltturn core with Rotom.
Twilight Thank you so much for this response. You really went above and beyond to answer my question, and I really appreciate it! You obviously took a lot of time to write something this detailed to help me out, so thanks again.

What niche does :cramorant: have in UU? Surprised that it has higher usage than Mantine (which dropped to RU) given that it outclassed it.

Any suggestions for partners for Dubwool?

:Dubwool: (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
- Body Press
- Cotton Guard
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

32 Speed is to outsped Adamant Bewear
My only ideas where Mantine as a Fighting and Fire-type check
:Mantine: (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 124 SpD / 136 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Air Slash
- Haze
- Roost
And Toxic Spikes support, but I can't decide between Drapion or Runerigus
Dubwool most likely will not have a niche in the tier. I believe LLH was theorizing it because Dubwool can sort of check Crawdaunt? but the concept of a Pokemon that invites in Ghost types with no way to punish them doesn't sound appealing, especially with how prevalent they are. I'd recommend using Bewear personally, which while not as bulky, has much more potential in the tier. Mantine is very good right now so it works fine as a partner for either and regarding viability, Drapion is much better. Drapion also checks the Ghost-types that this Dubwool set can't do anything against. Hope this helps.

What niche does :cramorant: have in UU? Surprised that it has higher usage than Mantine (which dropped to RU) given that it outclassed it.
Honestly, Cramorant doesn't have a huge niche in the tier and its beyond me as to why it is here in the first place. The big reason for its usage is because of its ability Gulp Missle and also having access to Defog, which has limited distribution this gen. Overall, Cramorant is just a worse Noivern other than having a rather annoying ability to play around. Other than these two things, I would rather use Mantine as it has a lot more bulk to check threats like Araquanid, Inteleon, Mamoswine, some Gengar etc. but ladder would rather meme around with this bird :blobshrug:

does orbeetle look usable in this meta? was thinking of going for a cm recover stored power bug buzz set, but I dont know if it's really good

does orbeetle look usable in this meta? was thinking of going for a cm recover stored power bug buzz set, but I dont know if it's really good
His attacking stats don't really look up to par compared to other stored power users such as Sigilyph or Reuniclus, so I don't know if that's a good idea. Also, Stored Power users tend to have some way to mitigate status, such as Magic Guard. Orbeetle does have an interesting support movepool, so if you'd like you can try a Sticky Web set. Just make sure that you're using things that set it apart from the likes of Araquanid and Galvantula, like access to Magic Coat and screens.

His attacking stats don't really look up to par compared to other stored power users such as Sigilyph or Reuniclus, so I don't know if that's a good idea. Also, Stored Power users tend to have some way to mitigate status, such as Magic Guard. Orbeetle does have an interesting support movepool, so if you'd like you can try a Sticky Web set. Just make sure that you're using things that set it apart from the likes of Araquanid and Galvantula, like access to Magic Coat and screens.
thanks! webs/screens was also something i ran before, and I think it could work in UU. i'll try it out ! :)

Was wondering if anyone else has successfully built an offensive core with or around Scarf Flygon? The best I could come up with was Specs Heliolisk and AV Escavalier to help punch holes in teams for 'Gon to clean up.

Was wondering if anyone else has successfully built an offensive core with or around Scarf Flygon? The best I could come up with was Specs Heliolisk and AV Escavalier to help punch holes in teams for 'Gon to clean up.
Flygon struggles with a lot of defensive Pokemon like bulky Ground-, Water- and Fairy-types that all sit on it + it is easily revenge killed by the tiers main Ice-type in Mamoswine and Weavile. I'll provide a visual example below:
etc.

As you can see there are quite a lot of Pokemon that can beat or wall it, so I'd recommend pairing it with a strong wallbreaker.
Ninetales
, Salazzle
, and Rotom-C
come to mind as good partners. Ninetales can rip apart most of its checks and appreciates the safe switch in, while Salazzle can take advantage of a lot of them to NP up and spread Toxic to weaken their checks. Rotom-C forms a Voltturn core with Flygon + beats the bulky Ground + Water-types, but it should be noted both can be revenge killed by Ice Shard from Weavile and Mamo. I'll provide importables below for the wallbreakers. Hope this helps you out.
Ninetales @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Solar Beam
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock / Filler

Ninetales @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Hypnosis / Filler

Salazzle (F) @ Black Sludge / Life Orb
Ability: Corrosion
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Wave
- Fire Blast
- Toxic

Rotom-Mow @ Filler / Chesto Berry
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt / Rest

Chesto if running Rest otherwise use Leftovers or something

I have been using this set
:Orbeetle: (M) @ Leftovers / Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sticky Web
- Recover
- Psychic
- U-turn / Body Press

56 Speed is to outsped Adamant Sirfetch'd, abd bulk is max'd to better check Fighting-types, and can survive a +0 Darkest Lariat from Life Orb Adamant Pangoro. Colbur Berry alongise Body Press is and option if you really need Orbeetle to beat Pangoro and Scrafty

It's a decent SW setter imo, because if doesn't lack bulk like Ribombee and Galvantula, and it's faster than Araquanid, and although he is weaker, STAB Psychic gets the job done.

Luirromen

:]
is a Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Just a little question, ik all sets still being working beacause how is evolving the meta, but how much speed is running Araquanid atm? I was working on an ev spread on Rhypherior to deal with leads Araquanids.

Moutemoute

Error 404
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
If I'm looking at the UU speedlist : here, I would say that Araquanid would run at least 44 EVs to be able to outspeed Hippowdon which prevents it to take useless damages from Earthquake. On the other hand, people can still try to outspeed some faster things such as Umbreon but it means that Araquanid will not have a lot of Bulk since it needs 188 EVs to outspeed Umbreon.

Luirromen

:]
is a Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
If I'm looking at the UU speedlist : here, I would say that Araquanid would run at least 44 EVs to be able to outspeed Hippowdon which prevents it to take useless damages from Earthquake. On the other hand, people can still try to outspeed some faster things such as Umbreon but it means that Araquanid will not have a lot of Bulk since it needs 188 EVs to outspeed Umbreon.
I see, ty Moute, also ty Just_Aaron , Im gonna work considering more the evs that runs to outspeed Hippo

I'm interested in Morpeko, and surprised that it's even in UU. I saw that the recommended set uses Choice Band, then notes the inconsistency of Aura Wheel as a point against it. I've been running Protect alongside Aura Wheel, both as a scouting move and because it guarantees a safe type change of Aura Wheel (the other two moves are Seed Bomb and Brick Break). This would prevent Choice Band, but Life Orb also seems very good on Morpeko, because it doesn't want to take hits anyways. Can someone explain why Protect + Life Orb is not worth running over CB?

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
I'm interested in Morpeko, and surprised that it's even in UU. I saw that the recommended set uses Choice Band, then notes the inconsistency of Aura Wheel as a point against it. I've been running Protect alongside Aura Wheel, both as a scouting move and because it guarantees a safe type change of Aura Wheel (the other two moves are Seed Bomb and Brick Break). This would prevent Choice Band, but Life Orb also seems very good on Morpeko, because it doesn't want to take hits anyways. Can someone explain why Protect + Life Orb is not worth running over CB?
I believe the set you're looking at isn't for UU. It's probably for OU, if i had to guess. The best Morpeko set is probably this:

Morpeko @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Hunger Switch
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Parting Shot
- Aura Wheel
- Protect

Morpeko's claim to fame is that it's the game's only Dark-type spinner, allowing it to pressure every spinblocker in the tier. It runs Heavy-Duty Boots usually to avoid the Speed drop from the generally very common Sticky Web as well as dodge damage from other hazards. Morpeko doesn't really need any attacks other than Aura Wheel if it runs Protect, given that it honestly hits pretty hard and it's two types of coverage in one moveslot. Parting Shot is mostly just filler, but it's always nice to be able to pivot out when necessary. Morpeko fits best on hyper offensive teams, as it doesn't have the longevity to spin multiple times in a game generally. You could run Leftovers for some passive recovery with Protect, but this makes it a bit worse as a spinner, which is its primary role.

What is (or was) Frosmoth's niche in UU? Quiver Dance sweeper? Ice Scales special tank? Defogger? Or is its usage in UU simply "new toy syndrome"? I like this mon but the usage stats confuse me--it just seemed mediocre-to-bad at first glance. Any recent sets would be appreciated too.

What is (or was) Frosmoth's niche in UU? Quiver Dance sweeper? Ice Scales special tank? Defogger? Or is its usage in UU simply "new toy syndrome"? I like this mon but the usage stats confuse me--it just seemed mediocre-to-bad at first glance. Any recent sets would be appreciated too.

Frosmoth @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Ice Scales
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Ice Beam
- Bug Buzz
- Protect

I think Frosmoth is usable, just not all that great. It is primarily used as a Quiver Dance user with Ice Scales. I'd say it's high usage is due to new toy syndrome over anything else. It struggles to break past the few Steel-types we use and pretty much falls over to any strong physical attacker, but given the right support it can sweep albeit being rather slow at +1. I personally prefer running STABs + Protect to avoid First Impression from Sirfetch'd and Goli that otherwise chunk it for 90% of its health. Others have run Frosmoth under Sun with Weather Ball so you can try that too. I hope this answers your question.

I have been running this set on my Morpeko

Morpeko (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Hunger Switch
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Rapid Spin
- Parting Shot
- Taunt

I use Crunch to evade the problem of Aura Wheel changing it's type

It can hold it's own on the meta, but it's definitely "new toy syndrome".

Does anyone have a team that has performed well in the post ban meta? I’d like something solid, without gimmicks, and I’m rather poor at building. I thought it might be appropriate to ask here because there is no sample or bazaar threads...

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
Does anyone have a team that has performed well in the post ban meta? I’d like something solid, without gimmicks, and I’m rather poor at building. I thought it might be appropriate to ask here because there is no sample or bazaar threads...
Given that the post ban meta hasn't been live on ladder for that long, I haven't really had much time to actually build in this new meta yet. This sun balance team I have been enjoying so far today though https://pokepast.es/f4a0dad650de1d88, which demonstrates nicely how ninetales can support teams with sun, (other examples being stuff like flamethrower on weezing, leaf guard tsareena for status immunity, weather ball defog frosmoth etc) without resorting to actual semi-sun teams which suffer a lot from high levels of First Impression usage between Sirfetch'd, Golisopod, Haxorus etc.

Should I use a Screen Setter, a Hazard Setter, or a Baton Passer on my team? For the screen setter, Prankster Grimsnarl. For Hazard Setter, Runerigus. For Baton Passer, Ninjask (Atk + Spd) I have 2 spots left so I was thinking maybe 2. Maybe 1.
My other pokemon are Dusknoir, Alecreme, Dracovish, and Toxapex.

Last edited:
Reactions: TMM

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
Should I use a Screen Setter, a Hazard Setter, or a Baton Passer on my team? For the screen setter, Prankster Grimsnarl. For Hazard Setter, Runerigus. For Baton Passer, Ninjask (Atk + Spd) I have 2 spots left so I was thinking maybe 2. Maybe 1.
Based on the Grimmsnarl comment, im guessing you meant to post in the OU verison of this thread? https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...e-answers-thread.3656259/page-29#post-8338154

Baton Pass is also illegal outside of Ubers currently.

Reactions: TMM

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)