Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers UU Edition

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
soo blacephalon, the one mon I hated in OU. But it was dumped here in UU, it has excellent speed, has a high 151 base sp attack stat, has great stabs that go unresisted by the tier. It also has 4 sets to my knowledge, the boots attacker, scarf, specs, and Sub CM. All 4 of these sets counter each others checks, like specs gets walled by chansey, but Sub cm just sits on it and sets up, boots counter its rocks weakness and helps its hit and run nature. Specs turn it into a nuke capable of 2 shotting hippo cleanly without rocks.

252 SpA Choice Specs Blacephalon Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 265-313 (63 - 74.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Blacephalon Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 48 SpD Kommo-o: 138-162 (38.9 - 45.7%) -- Guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Blacephalon Psychic vs. 252 HP / 48 SpD Kommo-o: 302-356 (85.3 - 100.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Like look at this. Hippo at 100% is cleanly 2hko'ed, and kommo just needs ~30% chip to be put into range of 2 fire blast. While psychic Ohkoing after 10% of damage which is easy to achieve. Yes it has checks, but you dont have switch ins. Like hippo can sponge 2 fire blast if its not specs, but its dropped otherwise, chansey can sit on any set barring sub cm, and scarf keldeo beats any set. But the point is that you have to run chansey, or sack a mon to scout what the set is. I feel like this is a banworthy pokemon and hydreigon resist both its stabs yet it takes more than 50% from fire blast if its specs, and hydreigon will get worn down unless it is lefties and roosts a lot
this is more of a post for the metagame discussion thread, there's no question here

If I Future Sight in Psychic Terrain and it ends before the move hits, does it still get the boost?
just tested and assuming the ps implementation is correct, nop (lele was itemless, 252 spa timid, noivern had 0 bulk):
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1220219417-b732kmqe5mlnwba6ilf2wc61lvsh1vvpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1220219870-d4p83vztl5o5sc1pzskntphvoot8vjrpw

Is Aegislash UUBL or UU? On November tier updates it says it’s BL but it’s allowed in UU on showdown and says UU on the strategy dex. This is for tournament purposes

Is Aegislash UUBL or UU? On November tier updates it says it’s BL but it’s allowed in UU on showdown and says UU on the strategy dex. This is for tournament purposes
Aegislash is UnderUsed by tiering, as with such a massive and chaotic shift, the council freed all of UUBL.

Can anyone recommend a set for Regidrago? I wanted to go 252 spA 252 Speed and mostly Dragon spam with specs, but I'm not sure if that's most optimal. Wish it had actual coverage lol.

Can anyone recommend a set for Regidrago? I wanted to go 252 spA 252 Speed and mostly Dragon spam with specs, but I'm not sure if that's most optimal. Wish it had actual coverage lol.
Regidrago only really has two sets: Scarf w/ Dragon Energy spam, or a DD set (it's pretty bad)

Overall Regidrago falls flat in UU and will probably drop to RU next shifts. There's too many fairies in UU that just stop it in its tracks right now.

Regidrago only really has two sets: Scarf w/ Dragon Energy spam, or a DD set (it's pretty bad)

Overall Regidrago falls flat in UU and will probably drop to RU next shifts. There's too many fairies in UU that just stop it in its tracks right now.
Thanks, I think I'll just go with Scarf. Hoping it does fall into lower tiers cause it looks fun to use if in a spot it can actually compete, just don't understand why it wasn't provided the bevy of coverage usually allotted to Dragons.

Which Hydreigon set is most successful, LO NP, leftovers NP, scarf, specs, stallbreaker, defog. Just want to have an opinion since LO and leftovers NP are most successful to me

Which Hydreigon set is most successful, LO NP, leftovers NP, scarf, specs, stallbreaker, defog. Just want to have an opinion since LO and leftovers NP are most successful to me
They are all successful, it depends on what your team needs, so it's hard to compare one set to another if they are different roles.

From the two you mentioned that have similar role, LO NP and Leftovers NP, I think LO NP is more effective since you are going for damage. Problem is Hydreigon is slow. You can't really compare it to Scarf since Scarf is a mostly used as a pivot set (again, different role).

For more analysis on Hydreigon, check out the latest research week here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...dreigon-thundy-t.3660085/page-10#post-8653300 Hydreigon was one of the three mons being researched, and people wrote up some analysis on how it plays out in various roles.

They are all successful, it depends on what your team needs, so it's hard to compare one set to another if they are different roles.

From the two you mentioned that have similar role, LO NP and Leftovers NP, I think LO NP is more effective since you are going for damage. Problem is Hydreigon is slow. You can't really compare it to Scarf since Scarf is a mostly used as a pivot set (again, different role).

For more analysis on Hydreigon, check out the latest research week here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...dreigon-thundy-t.3660085/page-10#post-8653300 Hydreigon was one of the three mons being researched, and people wrote up some analysis on how it plays out in various roles.
adding on to mantis' answer, Nasty Plot is probably the most common, but which Hydreigon you end up slotting in on your varying builds depends on what the team needs.

Band

scatters things often
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Future suspect tests will happen, we just don't know them yet (the council probably does lol)

Future suspect tests will happen, we just don't know them yet (the council probably does lol)
Kommo-o, victini, aeigislash, as well as celesteela could all use tests.
As a member of the council I can tell you that we have not talked about yet about future suspect tests Pokemon.
We kinda want to see how the metagame settles itself before doing anything.
Do you think UU is safe with Blaziken and Aegislash running around?
Blaziken is kinda iffy because it's a really offensive Pokemon with a terrible staying power (pretty much like Darmanitan). Without Flare Blitz, it fails to KO a lot of Pokemon while with it it tends to KO itself alongside the Pokemon it nukes.
Aegislash is a really good Pokemon at the moment and was part of the Pokemon voted a few days ago. The fact that Hippowdon, Tapu Lele and Hydreigon left the tier allows physical set to be much better (SD or Choice Band).

This is a question that has been bothering me for a bit. Not sure if it's "simple", but:

Q: Why is RBY UU not really considered part of UU? There's no mention of it anywhere really in the UU forums, nobody acknowledges it, and the only time you can really play or discuss it is in ROA, but nowhere in UU places themselves. Is there a particular reason for this disassociation from RBY UU?

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
This is a question that has been bothering me for a bit. Not sure if it's "simple", but:

Q: Why is RBY UU not really considered part of UU? There's no mention of it anywhere really in the UU forums, nobody acknowledges it, and the only time you can really play or discuss it is in ROA, but nowhere in UU places themselves. Is there a particular reason for this disassociation from RBY UU?
So I might not be entirely informed on this but I believe it's primarily due to a lack of an existing playerbase and development. As far as I'm aware it has recently picked up steam in RoA but up until now it wasn't really explored (on Smogon at least) and as such has never really been considered an "official" UU meta - this was also the case with GSC UU for a while, I think. Maybe a better historian can correct me, though.

Why is discussion on D ranked mons forbidden?
The infamous "D" rank is reserved only for pokemon that are UnderUsed by tiering, but are completely unviable and have no niche in the tier whatsoever. Due to them being in the tier by usage, but being completely unviable and unusable, D rank is subjugated solely for useless mons.

The infamous "D" rank is reserved only for pokemon that are UnderUsed by tiering, but are completely unviable and have no niche in the tier whatsoever. Due to them being in the tier by usage, but being completely unviable and unusable, D rank is subjugated solely for useless mons.
Ah, thank you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)