Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's everyone's opinion on Jolly vs Adamant on Solgaleo? I know the speed tier of the meta is generally slow and Adamant gives it a pretty sizable power boost, but I still like the idea of Jolly outpacing any form of the Primals as well as max speed Rayquaza before it can V-Create you.
jolly since you can easily set-up with z-splash
that extra speed can help, especially when a jolly solgaleo will always outspeed a jolly PG and timid PK

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Soul Dew was never banned in ubers to begin with. It has been unbanned in OU however

So, I'm at the part in the Story where I HAVE to catch Lunala. However, I don't know if I want Timid, Modest, or Bold. Which one is best? I'm a little new to super serious pokemon so I might not know what I'm talking about, but my reasoning...

Modest: Lunala is kind of in a weird speed tier, right? So there's not a whole lot I might get from Timid? It also seems pretty safe as extra special attack is always nice. Plus I can always throw a Scarf on it if it's too slow, right?
Timid: Being outsped by other Lunala and Solgaleo isn't nice, so maybe this would be good? I mean, I'm 4x weak to other It's not like I need to worry about special attack at that much anyway, because either way I can probably two hit ko most things, right? Plus I can probably play this defensively with Will-o-wisp and roost's coming out fast when I need them.
Bold: This helps patch her terrible defense so she can take hits from the physical side. Also it helps keep her all around bulky in case of a calm mind and roost set.

Keep in mind I mostly plan on using her in Battle Spot Doubles. Thanks for your help! Hopefully I can move on soon.

It really depends which set you want to run. But with it outspeeding max speed base 90s and Rayquaza which are rather common in ubers, and not losing to faster Lunala, I'd usually recommend Timid.

(Note: Lunala speed ties aren't quite as important as you might think because Shadow Shield blanks Mold Breaker like abilities, including Moongeist Beam.)

Regarding Lunala: Does 0 ATK IV really actually change any of Lunala's Foul Play matchups/KOs, or is it just more of a min-maxing thing?

Thanks!

It really depends which set you want to run. But with it outspeeding max speed base 90s and Rayquaza which are rather common in ubers, and not losing to faster Lunala, I'd usually recommend Timid.

(Note: Lunala speed ties aren't quite as important as you might think because Shadow Shield blanks Mold Breaker like abilities, including Moongeist Beam.)
Hmm, but it isn't enough to put speed MEGA Rayquaza, which is probably who I'll be fighting most on battle spot.

If I were to run a Z-Spalsh Solgaleo set, should I run Jolly? And what coverage would be optimal? I was thinking Sunsteel Strike/Earthquake would be a given, but what would work best in the last slot?

EDIT: Someone else already said Jolly is optimal for Z-Splash as I figured, so I guess the more important question is what I should run as coverage.

Ropalme1914

Ace Poker Player
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If I were to run a Z-Spalsh Solgaleo set, should I run Jolly? And what coverage would be optimal? I was thinking Sunsteel Strike/Earthquake would be a given, but what would work best in the last slot?

EDIT: Someone else already said Jolly is optimal for Z-Splash as I figured, so I guess the more important question is what I should run as coverage.
Probably Stone Edge, since it can hit Ho-Oh, Lugia, Salamence and others. You could also run Wild Charge for Primal Kyogre, but I don't think the less damage for those targets compesates it.

Why is Blaziken still banned? I can understand Mega but normal? It's outclassed by a lot of Pokémon now, no point in using. It's frail so Life Orb will only last it 2-3 turns at best.

Probably Stone Edge, since it can hit Ho-Oh, Lugia, Salamence and others. You could also run Wild Charge for Primal Kyogre, but I don't think the less damage for those targets compesates it.
I think Wild Charge would also hit Ho-oh for enough damage to OHKO at +3. It's probably good vs Lugia with Multiscale broken (if it's not broken, use Sunsteel Strike instead).

The recoil is arguably a less severe drawback than 80% accuracy, so it depends whether Sunsteel hits Salamence hard enough to not worry about coverage.

Is custap legal at this very moment in time? With Hypnosis Gengar dead, I see Wobbuffet coming out of the shadow (tag) of Mega Gengar, somewhat.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Adamant so Solgaleo can run a bulky set and make most use of its niche as a Xerneas counter that can threaten Primal Groudon switch ins.

I wonder if the meta is still more physically oriented like in ORAS, or has changed to specially oriented like Gen 1-5? Or is it still too early to tell?

Are there any Uber pokemon other than Xerneas that have particularly received massive buffs from the advent of Z-Moves?

Are there any Uber pokemon other than Xerneas that have particularly received massive buffs from the advent of Z-Moves?
There's quite a few, actually.

Both Palkia and Dialga get access to Heal Block which, when using a Psychinium-Z, gives the user +2 Special Attack while also preventing the foe from healing itself, whether it's from Recover/Roost or Leftovers. This turns both of them in to powerful wallbreakers. Palkia, in particular, really needed this buff.

Arceus now has a different way of becoming any particular type it wants to be by holding any of the types of Z-Crystals in the game. For example, Arceus can become Groundceus by holding Groundinium-Z and can use the corresponding Z-move along with it. However, it can't utilize the 1.2x boost towards its STAB since you no longer hold the Earth plate, but the payoff that the Z move itself brings with its immense stopping power, especially after a Swords Dance, is more than worth it at times.

While not as common, Darkrai can use Z-Hypnosis (which is slightly more accurate than Dark Void now) to put the foe to sleep while giving itself +1 speed. Xurkitree, while not Uber, does this as well. This allows you to outpace nearly everything in the game and, granted you land the Hypnosis, give yourself a free Nasty Plot boost with Darkrai or Tail Glow with Xurkitree.

There's plenty more out there, such as Electrium-Z Solgaleo with Wild Charge to slam Ho-Oh, Waterceus and Primal Kyogre or Z-Splash to give Solgaleo +3 Attack, but there's so many different possibilities that it's simply not possible at the moment to list them all. We're still discovering new combinations and I'm sure we'll still see new Z-sets in the many months.

Last edited:
There's quite a few, actually.

Both Palkia and Dialga get access to Heal Block which, when using a Psychinium-Z, gives the user +2 Special Attack while also preventing the foe from healing itself, whether it's from Recover/Roost or Leftovers. This turns both of them in to powerful wallbreakers. Palkia, in particular, really needed this buff.

Arceus now has a different way of becoming any particular type it wants to be by holding any of the types of Z-Crystals in the game. For example, Arceus can become Groundceus by holding Groundinium-Z and can use the corresponding Z-move along with it. However, it can't utilize the 1.2x boost towards its STAB since you no longer hold the Earth plate, but the payoff that the Z move itself brings with its immense stopping power, especially after a Swords Dance, is more than worth it at times.

While not as common, Darkrai can use Z-Hypnosis (which is slightly more accurate than Dark Void now) to put the foe to sleep while giving itself +1 speed. Xurkitree, while not Uber, does this as well. This allows you to outpace nearly everything in the game and, granted you land the Hypnosis, give yourself a free Nasty Plot boost with Darkrai or Tail Glow with Xurkitree.

There's plenty more out there, such as Electrium-Z Solgaleo with Wild Charge to slam Ho-Oh, Waterceus and Primal Kyogre or Z-Splash to give Solgaleo +3 Attack, but there's so many different possibilities that it's simply not possible at the moment to list them all. We're still discovering new combinations and I'm sure we'll still see new Z-sets in the many months.
Thank you so much! I've been looking for new things to try. Another question, are there any in particular that have the specific function of shutting down Primal Groudon?

Thank you so much! I've been looking for new things to try. Another question, are there any in particular that have the specific function of shutting down Primal Groudon?
I believe most of the examples that I listed can do just that. +2 Spacial Rend/Draco Meteor dents Pdon, Groundinium-Z hits it super effectively for a lot of damage (I believe it kills most sets at +2), and putting it to sleep is already a form of shutting it down as it is.

On a Psychic Terrain team, should Deoxys-A run Extreme Speed or can it be replaced with another coverage move? It's been tough choosing between Ice Beam to handle Yveltal or Knock-Off to handle bulky Psychic-types like Solgaleo and Lunala. Psycho Boost already OHKOs most Dragon and Flying-types under the terrain boost, so it seems Ice Beam is solely for Yveltal. I assume that Psychic Terrain will be up most of the battle, which would render priority useless most of the time.

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)