Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering about a few Pokemon and why they are in Ubers. Tapu Koko (sure, has good speed but bad offensive and defensive stats for Ubers), Alolan Muk, Blissey, Bronzong, Shuckle, Slowbro, Skarmory, Wobbuffet and Xurkitree (I know, put a Choice Scarf on this thing and it becomes a beast, but it's special attack is the only good stat). Can anyone explain why they are in Ubers?

Ropalme1914

Ace Poker Player
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I was wondering about a few Pokemon and why they are in Ubers. Tapu Koko (sure, has good speed but bad offensive and defensive stats for Ubers), Alolan Muk, Blissey, Bronzong, Shuckle, Slowbro, Skarmory, Wobbuffet and Xurkitree (I know, put a Choice Scarf on this thing and it becomes a beast, but it's special attack is the only good stat). Can anyone explain why they are in Ubers?
They are not in Ubers. Did you saw that on the Viability Rankings? Because that just shows Pokémon that have uses in Ubers, not necessarily them being Ubers (or are you asking about what uses they have?).

They are not in Ubers, they are just decent mons to use when playing in Ubers.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Tape Koko sees play in Ubers due to the fact it can offensively check Flying types such as Yveltal, Ho-oh along with Water types such as Primal Kyogre and Arceus-Water, although it's very hard pressed to switch into any of them. The combination of Taunt, Natures Madness and U-Turn means it essentially has a means of annoying pretty much anything that wants to switch into it, and it has the potential to give its teammates free switchins and gain momentum, for example U-Turning out of a Primal Groudon switch in to get your Primal Kyogre in.

Alolan Muk provides a reasonably reliable Pursuit trapper to the offensive Ghost and Psychic types in the tier such as Lunala, Deoxys-Attack, Mewtwo and Mega Gengar, although it has to be careful as some of these Pokémon can run moves that give it trouble.

Xurkitree can be a threat with its Z-Hypnosis plus Tail Glow set due to that enormous Special Attack if it hits a hypnosis and gets the chance to set up. It's hit or miss but enough of a threat to see occasional use.

The other Pokémon have all seen use in previous generations and function much the same as they did in ORAS so check their analyses out for more info.

are there uses for pressure lugia and ho-oh? just curious if they could potentially be useful as their hidden abilities are kinda hard to get on cart. i know in gen 5 lugia got some use out of both abilities, but it seems since then lugia has only been made sets using multiscale. and i know ho-oh's regenerator is just better in general, but is there any way pressure could be useful on it?

are there uses for pressure lugia and ho-oh? just curious if they could potentially be useful as their hidden abilities are kinda hard to get on cart. i know in gen 5 lugia got some use out of both abilities, but it seems since then lugia has only been made sets using multiscale. and i know ho-oh's regenerator is just better in general, but is there any way pressure could be useful on it?
Pressure Lugia can PP stall iirc but that's it's only use, otherwise it's inferior to Multiscale.

Pressure on Ho Oh is just downright bad and regenerator is flat out superior.

Last edited:
Pressure Lugia can PP stall iirc but it's only use, otherwise it's inferior to Multiscale.

Pressure on Ho Oh is just downright bad and regenerator is flat out superior.
thanks for the response! i guess that is understandable. if only their hidden abilities weren't such a pain to get.

kilometerman

Banned deucer.
neither is more viable than their HAs.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Pressure Lugia can Defog as opposed to its Multiscale set if you were obsessed with finding a niche for it, but that set is generally considered horrible for hopefully obvious reasons. In BW Pressure Lugia could be used as the chance of keeping Stealth Rock of the field was pretty low due to the lack of removal options and the prevalence of Ghosts to the point where some people considered Pressure superior, but gen 6 onwards there is no use for Pressure sets outside of a very niche and generally bad Defog set.

Duck Chris

replay watcher
is a Pre-Contributor
Two questions

1: Ubers Classic when? I'm trying to enter the BW Ubers Cup, DPP Ubers Cup, and ADV Ubers Cup. UU is doing it now, but maybe we could after?

2: Probably totally in advance as the meta is still settling, but is there any interest in a UUbers side meta this gen? Basically just a banlist of the most used ubers (excluding OU mons) so we could try out a fun meta with maybe some lesser used arceus types, regular ogre and groudon, no xerneas or gengar? sounds like a lot of fun if you ask me. Other metas mods dont want it so I thought I'd ask here

could just be a discussion thread or PS challenge format or smth

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
1) there's been talk about that happening in ubers discord chan as well as showdown room; i can't speak for whether or not it will actually happen, but it looks like there is considerable support

2) no there are no plans for a 'uubers', nor have there ever been, nor will there (most likely) ever be.

Mainly because Palkia is faster, making it harder to revenge, and has stronger STABs and better coverage. Palkia can outpace everything up to Naive Yveltal, which includes stuff like the Solgaleo and Lunala, adamant Lucario, and base 95 mons like Rayquaza, all of which can revenge Dialga pretty easily. Palkia gets Spacial Rend, whereas Dialga either has to opt for the notably less powerful Dragon Pulse or Draco Meteor, which loses a significant amount of power with each use. Palkia is also able to opt to run Fire Blast to hit steels since it can hit Ho-Oh with Hydro Pump, whereas Dialga needs to either run Fire Blast to cover Steel-types or Thunder to cover Ho-Oh.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I believe I saw a mention of Eeveepass being usable somewhere. Is it actually viable or just a gimmick?

I believe I saw a mention of Eeveepass being usable somewhere. Is it actually viable or just a gimmick?
On teams where it's the only real wincon, which is the majority of Eevee teams, no it isn't consistently viable. If played by a good player and the team is built to not rely on it as the only wincon it is definitely viable.

kilometerman

Banned deucer.
What is Solgaleo's best set?
depends on its function. people either use Solgaleo as a xern check on psychic terrain teams, or on regular bulky offense teams that need a xern check (but imo it's not as good without psychic terrain). looks something like this:
Solgaleo
Ability: Full Metal Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sunsteel Strike
- Zen Headbutt
- Flare Blitz/Wild Charge (not sure if wild charge is popular amongst the better players but I like it)
- Earthquake

the other set is the z-splash set, which looks something like this:
Solgaleo @ Normalium Z
Ability: Full Metal Body
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Splash
- Sunsteel Strike
- Flare Blitz/Flame Charge
- Earthquake

Kyurem-W, for example with the spex set, can do very well on Sticky Web Teams.
Diancie isn't viable without its mega.

Reactions: hyw
It's viable. There's only few counter plays to it which can change depending on team composition and it's very strong in tournament scene where you can scout your opponent's teams. On ladder, it theoretically should have minimum of 55% winrate which makes it a very consistent laddering team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)