Singles Break that Core (Week 17: Hippowdon + Lucario + Dragonite) ~ VOTING (post #395)

Voting for GroudonEmpire. MegaMan does exceptionally well against this core, not minding the burns or paralysis that gets spread around wile facing this core and 2HKO's both of them. I would have voted for bobochan had it only been Mega Manectric as the nomination, but Lando-T is just a nice addition to ensure that this core gets taken down, and is a great partner to Mega Manectric. VoltTurn can really mess up Mega Gengar's Shadow Tag antics as well.

Voting for GroudonEmpire.

immunity to T-wave as well as outspeeding Mega Gengar to bust through any Perish Trapping, yes please!

Only thing is that I absolutely hate breeding for Hidden Powers in-game, but ice is just a tad easier to get than something like Fire.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Voting for bobochan, Sand Offense is just an incredibly hard stop to this core. Tyranitar can come in on both of these Pokemon without huge concerns since at worst, Tyranitar gets KO'ed by a Focus Blast to leave an Excadrill in sand to stomp both Thundurus and Gengar by itself. Excadrill also doesn't have to worry about Thundurus too much since it can't do anything unless it runs Focus Blast, and is still outsped. Switching out to waste sand turns also isn't a safe stop since Gengar can't come in on Rock-type moves repeatedly and the possibility of Smooth Rock can quickly turn that strategy into a losing battle.

I vote for THS mix defense sableye-mega even though it doesn't have snarl because I'm sure if we just tell ppl about snarl, theyd pick snarl over shadow ball! With Calm Mind and recover and magic bounce, Sableye-Mega can avoid taunt by both and can burn stall gengar between calm mind reco0ver and burn damage so it can even avoid destiny bond nonsense!
As for thundurus-i, nasty plot is troublesome but that's where I'd rock snarl over shadow ball (and hopefully you ppl who see this and like mega sableye realize the goodness that is snarl) as it lowers spatt 1 stage, is stab, AND hits behind Sub! While it's unlikely a mega sableye can handle thundurus-i 1v1, using this mix defense spread and snarl (and even calm mind while Thundurus-i nasty plots!) can allow mega sableye to AT LEAST stop a thundurus-i sweep, something. A plus 1 spdef mega sableye that snarls thundurus-i can make it drop down to basically neutral spatt in terms of the damage to mega sableye.

I know snarl wasn't nommed, but again I think it is simply a matter of ppl not knowing its greatness and I like mixed with a bold nature because it allows you to STILL hamper physical attackers and counter megaKhan, which many of such team archetypes have like Khan, Chomp, Tflame, Suicune, Gengar, Thundurus!
MegaMan and Lando core can hamper physical attackers too while bulky mons like MKhan and Chomp can still survive a sand driller and end its attempt at sweeping which is why I didn't vote bobo! Again, why mega sableye is great for this core AND potential 3rd pokemon teammates!!!!!!! Btw it seems he meant to have calm natured not bold natured mega sableye haha but again mixed bulk is simply great!

Keep up the great nominations THS :)

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
bobochan because she is hot, also Tyranitar is my favorite Pokemon and his post was funny and GroudonEmpire is sad

nah, but really, I think his core is good, and I tend to favor sets that do not have to go too far off the standard sets to counter a threat. Both because it's easier to breed a team that way and also because you can have a general answer rather than an overly specific one.

Voting Groudon Empire, This core seems almost impenetrable and when one does have a weakness it can't cover the other team mate's weakness. Also by the use of some overall offensive threatening pokemon in this also with no crazy spreads.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah voting for GroudonEmpire's core, I liked it when it was just M-Manectric coz he's pretty good at doing it himself but pairing him with Scarf Landog for a fast Volt-Turn (with dual Intimidate for physical attackers) is cool

bobochan's sand offense is a solid check to mega gar + thundy, with ttars stab options stopping both of them, and incase ttar goes down the sand rush drill in the back is able to revenge both of them pretty well, as well as not getting twaved by thundy, so it cant lose to yellow magic
im new to the forum but i swear i play battle spot ingame !

I'm nominating GroudonEmpire, for his M-Manetric and Landourus-T core! Thundurus can't do much to M-Manetric because Electric resist Electric and M-Manetric, can use HP Ice on it and 2HKO it. And also, Scarf Landourus-T can also OHKO Gengar w/ Knock Off and M-Gengar w/ Earthquake because of it's scarf. I think GroudonEmpire's core can dealt with it the most :)

My vote goes to bobochan <3
Excadrill just knocks out these two threats clean, GG no re after sand boost making it Deoxys Speed. Thunderus can't even touch this monster with twave since this mammal has natural born-natural bred electric immunity. Thanks dad because this savage takes care of practically all threats given life orb.

Voting for bobochan. That core not only takes on Mgar + thundurus safely, but it also is quite useful in general, and doesn't even use a mega slot.

Voting for Bobochan - I think everythings been said, but also the mind games at team preview, sand offense often severely narrows the mons the opponent brings and in that respect you have the jump before the battle even begins

GroudonEmpire, I actually find Mega Manectric pretty reliable from person experience. Additional bonus that it can switch into Thundurus Thunder Wave before mega evolving to score a free boost with Lightning Rod.

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
I should probably start doing these again as an effort to get back into singles.
Voting for GroudonEmpire. Due to Manectric outspeeding and 2hkoing almost all variants of both core members it can actually beat it by itself by Volt Switching into other things. I also find that fast electric types are some of the best late game cleaners double Intimidate + VoltTurn is amazing.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
GroudonEmpire takes this week with his Mega Manectric + Scarf Landorus-T nomination! It was a pretty close vote between his nomination and bobochan's. You guys need to calm down a bit too lol.

Anyways, GroudonEmpire's core actually looks really fun to use here, so this week we're going to look at ways to break Manectric and Landorus-Therian!

How will you beat this "intimidating" volt-turn duo?

Oof, it's late at night but this one came easily as i was just building with this mon and may as well post it b4 i forget lol"

Latias-Mega (F) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock
Mega-Latias while not being a very popular mega has excellent bulk and resistances and is easily one of the best electric type answers out there, while also being immune to ground type attacks with Levitate takes on these two oh so easily
Some calcs: 252 SpA Mega Manectric Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Mega Latias: 96-114 (26.4 - 31.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252+ Atk Landorus-T U-turn vs. 248 HP / 84+ Def Mega Latias: 134-158 (36.9 - 43.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Landorus-T Knock Off vs. 248 HP / 84+ Def Mega Latias: 124-146 (34.1 - 40.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Any M-Latias moveset takes them on efficiently including CM but for simplicity sake i have the 3 attack roost set here in case Lando tries to pulls some SD shenanigans you can outright ko it with Ice Beam
0 SpA Mega Latias Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 416-492 (130.4 - 154.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
reserving calm mind clefable (you are allowed to do this right)

cs edit: yes

Last edited by a moderator:

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Sleep Powder / Hidden Power [Fire] / Leech Seed

Not the most common mega, but bulky mega saur is a good check to this core, thanks to thick fat and its naturally high defense stats. Thick fat allows it to take normal damage from manectric's fire options, doing max 30% with flamethrower and overheat dropping special attack everytime. Its grass typing also allows it to tank lando-t's eqs, and win 1v1 with its moves. Sleep powder putting them to sleep also helps, as they are not able to move for a couple of turns and it allows venusaur to chip off at them without taking damage. And, with synthesis as recovery, mega venusaur is able to heal off the attacks thrown at it from these two.
252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Thick Fat Mega Venusaur: 46-56 (24.5 - 29.9%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO
252 SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Thick Fat Mega Venusaur: 66-78 (35.2 - 41.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
----
0 SpA Mega Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Manectric: 73-87 (50.3 - 60%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Mega Venusaur Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Manectric: 60-72 (41.3 - 49.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Venusaur: 64-76 (34.2 - 40.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
----
0 SpA Mega Venusaur Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 60-72 (36.5 - 43.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Last edited:

Bisharp @ Focus Sash/Life Orb
Adamant Nature
Defiant Ability
252 ATK/ 252 SPE / 4 HP

Sucker Punch
Knock Off
Iron Head
Swords Dance

What better way to set up than to let your opponent do it for you! a Double-intimidating core is what Bisharp prays for when he's on the field.

Sucker Punch is there to scare this core away from attacking you directly fearing retribution before they can U-turn/V-Switch out of it. So they're going to be forced into a hard switch in order to bypass sucker punch. So you can trust Knock Off to do the job if you predict a hard switch. They switch into Landorus/M-Manectric, well look at that! more attack!

focus sash is just to give you another chance if you miss a prediction, so you got wiggle room to lose a mindgame before it's over. Or you can go with the life orb for guaranteed kills where you don't think you can get them.

Calcs:
+2 252+ Atk Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 160-189 (96.9 - 114.5%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Manectric: 175-207 (119.8 - 141.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Def / 156 SpA
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Toxic / Scald

Any Water / Ground type does a decent job of checking these two (particularly Manectric), but Gastrodon is far cooler than Swampert so I'm rolling with it. The investment allows Gastrodon to OHKO Manectric with Earth Power, and Ice Beam does a comfortable 120% to Landorus-T. Recover gives Gastrodon longevity and allows Gastrodon to stay healthy against repeated Hidden Power Ices (which do ~25%). Toxic or Scald is dependant on which status is more valuable to your team: Scald isn't really mandatory as it doesn't add any meaningful coverage and Earth Power is a good enough STAB that it shouldn't need two, so Toxic + Recover can be used to potentially outstall things like Slowbro. Someone should get on Swampert, incidentally - it trashes these two :]

Elsa (Cresselia) (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Moonlight
- Psychic
- Lunar Dance

"This core never bothered me anyway" - Cresselia

Elsa can come in on any of these two (Banded Lando-Th hurts but that has rather low usage), Take a hit, recover when it needs to, and let it go with Ice Beam and Psychic on Lando-T and Mega Manectric respectively when it can't hold it back anymore. You'll never see her cry against this core, unless Moonlight runs out of PP or if any of the two run Toxic, which is only used on 2% on both Lando-T and Mega Manectric. Elsa's here to stand and here to stay when she faces this core, no VoltTurn antics will get to her at all. Not sorry for the terrible "Let it go" references from Frozen

252+ Atk Landorus-T Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 84-100 (37 - 44%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Landorus-T U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 62-74 (27.3 - 32.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Landorus-T Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 126-150 (55.5 - 66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Landorus-T U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 90-108 (39.6 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
4 SpA Cresselia Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 136-160 (82.4 - 96.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Mega Manectric Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Cresselia: 64-76 (28.1 - 33.4%) -- 0.1% chance to 3HKO
4 SpA Cresselia Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Manectric: 49-58 (33.7 - 40%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)