Sketchmons ORAS - Diggersby and Shell Smash Banned!

I feel lke clef and other unaware users will be nice in this meta due to the number of set up sweepers like shift gear, tail glow, quiver dance, geomancy, SD, and others. Plus Clef can even run a Quiver Stored Power set.

Speaking of STag, it wasn't banned on the server when I was playing earlier. I don't know how to tag people but it'd be cool if that was fixed

Excellent post, couple of minor nitpicks (sorry but it's in my nature):
You forgot to mention Diggersby as a viable Espeeder.

252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 220-261 (64.5 - 76.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 216-255 (63.3 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Not immune to status, but it hits (very) slightly harder than Ursaring and is much faster, as well as being able to hold a different item if you want, and not having to wait a turn for the orb to activate.

I'd quite like to see Pinsir go as I think it'd open up a lot more creativity (I have a couple of teams which are unviable pretty much entirely because they're 6-0'd by Pinsir), but playing devil's advocate, BD Feint would be much easier to manage. Belly drum halving HP means if it gets forced out, it can't come back in (assuming you take any sort of chip damage), and feint misses out on quite a few KOs/near KOs (notably base 100s: +2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 387-456 (113.4 - 133.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO vs +6 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Feint vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 291-343 (85.3 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO).
I thought of it, I just felt it fell under "a handful of Normal types".

And yeah Belly Drum Feint would be easier to manage (Probably), but it means banning Extreme Speed has a smaller effect on Mega Pinsir than it does on other Extreme Speed abusers. Belly Drum can also just be worse to face for some teams, since its coverage goes from "scary" to "instagibbing", even though Belly Drum Feint is weaker than Swords Dance Extreme Speed.

You tag by putting an @ before their name.

That produces The Immortal needs to implement Shadow Tag being banned, if that hasn't happened yet.

It even shows possible members for you to click as you type!

No but it's not just one abuser, it's multiple all with their own quirks making them viable and broken

252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 220-261 (64.5 - 76.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Diggersby takes the spot for highest power, that and the ability to boost with swords dance and having an excellent secondary typing in ground, but you're also gifted with numerous coverage moves, Wild charge, Gunk shot, Knock off, Fire punch, Ice punch and Superpower.

252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 216-255 (63.3 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Ursaring has its viability in immunity to burn, boosting in swords dance, hitting rock types/steel types with close combat and generally being immensely powerful.

252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 213-252 (62.4 - 73.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

We know what it does

252+ Atk Refrigerate Mega Glalie Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 177-208 (51.9 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Spikes, ice type and taunt.

252+ Atk Pixilate Mega Altaria Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 166-196 (48.6 - 57.4%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO

Immense bulk, DD, unpredictability, boomburst, earthquake, reliable recovery, THIS WILL REPLACE MEGA PINSIR.

252+ Atk Snorlax Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 127-151 (37.2 - 44.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Can boost with Belly drum, which is key.

+6 252+ Atk Snorlax Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Bisharp: 253-298 (93.3 - 109.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes

+5 252+ Atk Snorlax Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 345-406 (90.3 - 106.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

ect ect.

They all have their niches, one will just replace the other. I'd rather have an interesting metagame than this.
Fought Snorlax, it's not a big problem. Everything I said about Ursaring applies, only you can also Burn it to cripple it. It's basically a gimmick. A cool gimmick, but a gimmick.

Mega Glalie is not that threatening either, and frankly there's too much competition for the Mega slot.

Diggersby is harder for me to say -it still hates being Will O Wisped by Sableye, but it tends to outspeed Rock and Steel types and the fact that it has STAB on Earthquake means it's going to hit harder against stuff like Mega Aggron than Mega Pinsir does, and Wild Charge means it can even beat Skarmory even though Skarmory hardwalls its STABs. On the other hand, I haven't actually seen it in action.

Mega Altaria is a vastly inferior replacement to Mega Pinsir. Saying it will replace Mega Pinsir if Mega Pinsir gets banned =/= saying that Mega Altaria is broken. It lacks the overwhelming firepower of Mega Pinsir, before it Dragon Dances (Or Quiver Dances for hypothetical Special sets) it has Speed problems, and it doesn't have "immense bulk". It's more bulky than Mega Pinsir, but only by a little bit. Really, it's main advantages, bulk-wise, is that it has recovery and is less vulnerable to Stealth Rock after Mega Evolving, where Pinsir is more vulnerable after Mega Evolving. It's also saddled with being weaker to more priority -a Steel type with Bullet Punch (Scizor, Mega Metagross, etc) can tank an Extreme Speed and put the hurt on it right through that.

+1 252 Atk Pixilate Mega Altaria Extreme Speed vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 113-133 (32.9 - 38.7%) -- 99.6% chance to 3HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Mega Altaria: 240-284 (67.7 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Plus, who says

A: Mega Altaria is broken

and

B: that it's broken with Extreme Speed in specific

Personally I far more hate the Boomburst sets and am a lot more afraid of the Quiver Dance sets.

Mew @ Mental Herb
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Block
- Imprison
- Transform
- Taunt

It is quite possible that this set is just unviable and stupid, but it hardcounters any stall poke ever, you can use roost over taunt if you don't care about beating sableye.

I thought of it, I just felt it fell under "a handful of Normal types".

And yeah Belly Drum Feint would be easier to manage (Probably), but it means banning Extreme Speed has a smaller effect on Mega Pinsir than it does on other Extreme Speed abusers. Belly Drum can also just be worse to face for some teams, since its coverage goes from "scary" to "instagibbing", even though Belly Drum Feint is weaker than Swords Dance Extreme Speed.

You tag by putting an @ before their name.

That produces The Immortal needs to implement Shadow Tag being banned, if that hasn't happened yet.

It even shows possible members for you to click as you type!

Fought Snorlax, it's not a big problem. Everything I said about Ursaring applies, only you can also Burn it to cripple it. It's basically a gimmick. A cool gimmick, but a gimmick.

Mega Glalie is not that threatening either, and frankly there's too much competition for the Mega slot.

Diggersby is harder for me to say -it still hates being Will O Wisped by Sableye, but it tends to outspeed Rock and Steel types and the fact that it has STAB on Earthquake means it's going to hit harder against stuff like Mega Aggron than Mega Pinsir does, and Wild Charge means it can even beat Skarmory even though Skarmory hardwalls its STABs. On the other hand, I haven't actually seen it in action.

Mega Altaria is a vastly inferior replacement to Mega Pinsir. Saying it will replace Mega Pinsir if Mega Pinsir gets banned =/= saying that Mega Altaria is broken. It lacks the overwhelming firepower of Mega Pinsir, before it Dragon Dances (Or Quiver Dances for hypothetical Special sets) it has Speed problems, and it doesn't have "immense bulk". It's more bulky than Mega Pinsir, but only by a little bit. Really, it's main advantages, bulk-wise, is that it has recovery and is less vulnerable to Stealth Rock after Mega Evolving, where Pinsir is more vulnerable after Mega Evolving. It's also saddled with being weaker to more priority -a Steel type with Bullet Punch (Scizor, Mega Metagross, etc) can tank an Extreme Speed and put the hurt on it right through that.

+1 252 Atk Pixilate Mega Altaria Extreme Speed vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 113-133 (32.9 - 38.7%) -- 99.6% chance to 3HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Mega Altaria: 240-284 (67.7 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Plus, who says

A: Mega Altaria is broken

and

B: that it's broken with Extreme Speed in specific

Personally I far more hate the Boomburst sets and am a lot more afraid of the Quiver Dance sets.
You sort of just proved my point, or entirely missed it. I was trying to say that one is the best, Mega Pinsir, but all the others will just replace it.

EDIT: Why are you guys so set out to ban Mega Pinsir, there's one move that makes it broken. You prevent three or more potential bans.

Last edited:
You sort of just proved my point, or entirely missed it. I was trying to say that one is the best, Mega Pinsir, but all the others will just replace it.

EDIT: Why are you guys so set out to ban Mega Pinsir, there's one move that makes it broken. You prevent three or more potential bans.
Because Mega Pinsir is the only poke with combination of Power, Speed and coverage that overwhelm others. All other Extremespeeders are just vastly inferior compared to Mega Pinsir. Ghoul King perfectly explained that the problem is Mega Pinsir, not Extremespeed.

Second reason is, if you ban Extremespeed, Mega Pinsir can just use Belly Drum + Quick Attack or Feint(+6 Quick Attack hits as hard as +2 Extremespeed, but 1HKO Mega Aggron, Regirock and Skarmory, which doesn't solve the problem, make it EVEN WORSE instead).

Another reason, I already explained how there will be Geomancy and Shell Smash spam if there is no Extremespeed. STABmons is known as setup crazy meta, and that's ONLY Normal and Fairy types gets Shell Smash and Geomancy. How to revenge it? Fakespeed. In this meta, EVERYONE gets access to Shell Smash and Geomancy, which makes the problem EVEN WORSE than STABmons. It's why Extremespeed is needed, especially in this meta where everyone gets set up moves. Do you want to run Unaware pokes or Ditto on every team? I don't.

Because Mega Pinsir is the only poke with combination of Power, Speed and coverage that overwhelm others. All other Extremespeeders are just vastly inferior compared to Mega Pinsir. Ghoul King perfectly explained that the problem is Mega Pinsir, not Extremespeed.

Second reason is, if you ban Extremespeed, Mega Pinsir can just use Belly Drum + Quick Attack or Feint(+6 Quick Attack hits as hard as +2 Extremespeed, but 1HKO Mega Aggron, Regirock and Skarmory, which doesn't solve the problem, make it EVEN WORSE instead).

Another reason, I already explained how there will be Geomancy and Shell Smash spam if there is no Extremespeed. STABmons is known as setup crazy meta, and that's ONLY Normal and Fairy types gets Shell Smash and Geomancy. How to revenge it? Fakespeed. In this meta, EVERYONE gets access to Shell Smash and Geomancy, which makes the problem EVEN WORSE than STABmons. It's why Extremespeed is needed, especially in this meta where everyone gets set up moves. Do you want to run Unaware pokes or Ditto on every team? I don't.
That first part is wrong, I literally just went through explaining how all of the extreme abusers aren't vastly inferior, they all have their own viable niches. And even though Mega Pinsir is the best one, the others are not far behind at all. And you do realise we can prevent numerous bans by simply banning espeed and restricting insane set up, I just fail to understand why you want Pinsir gone so badly, the only reason it's broken is because of extreme speed, how do you reckon Mega Pinsir is going to set up a Belly drum versus offence? It's literally unable to if SRs are up lol. And versus stall both Clefable and Quagsire beat it without espeed, are you going to run double-edge?

All of these bans are easily preventable, you said it yourself, wanting Diggersby to be suspected, it outdamages Mega Pinsir

That first part is wrong, I literally just went through explaining how all of the extreme abusers aren't vastly inferior, they all have their own viable niches. And even though Mega Pinsir is the best one, the others are not far behind at all. And you do realise we can prevent numerous bans by simply banning espeed and restricting insane set up, I just fail to understand why you want Pinsir gone so badly, the only reason it's broken is because of extreme speed, how do you reckon Mega Pinsir is going to set up a Belly drum versus offence? It's literally unable to if SRs are up lol. And versus stall both Clefable and Quagsire beat it without espeed, are you going to run double-edge?

All of these bans are easily preventable, you said it yourself, wanting Diggersby to be suspected, it outdamages Mega Pinsir
I never said I want a Diggersby suspect. Yes, it outdamages Pinsir, but not that much (Jolly Pinsir has 409 Attack while Diggersby has 422). Besides, it lacks the bulk and Speed of Mega Pinsir, making it easier to check and revenge it.

If the only broken abuser of Extremespeed is Mega Pinsir (which I think it is), then we ban Mega Pinsir, not ban Extremespeed. If the problem is spam, then we can limit it by Move Clause. It's why I don't agree with banning or restricting specific move like Extremespeed/Shell Smash/Geomancy/Shift Gear/etc. because the problem is spam, not the move itself.

Anyway, I still keep on my vote for Move Clause, probably because I don't have much trouble against Pinsir so far.

Mew @ Mental Herb
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Block
- Imprison
- Transform
- Taunt

It is quite possible that this set is just unviable and stupid, but it hardcounters any stall poke ever, you can use roost over taunt if you don't care about beating sableye.
This doesn't beat sableye anyway as ghosts cant be trapped :o

Also I don't see the issue of both banning mega pinsir and limiting the number of same sketched moves? I feel like they kinda overlap but the limits just open up the meta away slightly from boomburst+priority spam.

I'm in favor of a Move Clause for sure, though I'm not quite certain on my stance of whether I want an Extreme Speed ban, Mega Pinsir ban or neither. Move Clause should be added just for the sake of reducing spam and incentivizing creativity really. Not much to be said there that hasn't already been said.

The main issue I have with Mega Pinsir is that its checks are extremely shaky. With Extreme Speed essentially acting as Quick Attack + Return in one slot, it has room to run another coverage move like Stone Edge for Zapdos, Earthquake for Mega Ampharos, Doublade and Mega Metagross, or Knock Off for Mega Meta, Doublade and Cofagrigus (as well as doing good damage to Zapdos). While Mega Aggron and Skarmory are good defensive answers every time, they need to switch in immediately, or else they become vulnerable to getting 2HKOed on the switch by +2 Close Combat. Offensive barely has any answers for it since only Mega Aerodactyl, Raikou, Mega Manectric, Scarf Heatran and Heat Crash/Flare Blitz Mega Metagross can take a +2 Extreme Speed from it and OHKO in return. Mega Aero and Raikou are OHKOed after Stealth Rock damage too.

Mega Pinsir has answers, but it has overcentralized the metagame ever since the ladder went up pretty much. I'm leaning towards a ban right now, but I'm still uncertain.

Extreme Speed should probably wait until we have a metagame with the move clause implemented.

Dunno if it matters for anyone's vote (I don't think it should), but unless Mega Pinsir decides to sketch something like Bolt Strike over Espeed, Mega Slowbro is actually a counter.

252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 64+ Def Mega Slowbro: 111-132 (28.1 - 33.5%) -- 0.1% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Mega Pinsir Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 64+ Def Mega Slowbro: 94-112 (23.8 - 28.4%) -- 95.2% chance to 4HKO
252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 64+ Def Mega Slowbro: 166-196 (42.1 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 HP / 252+ Def avoids the 2HKO from Double-Edge 93.7% of the time after Stealth Rock, which I would call pretty good for a neutrality.

Meanwhile, Scald has a small chance of 2HKOing (unless you invest 180 SpA in it), Fire- or Ice-type coverage 2HKOs, and Power Gem OHKOs. If you really want to 2HKO but only have room for a Water-type STAB, Surf 2HKOs with minimal investment. You can also T-Wave or whatever if you don't need to KO it right away.

Idk why but people seem to be underprepared when they come up against Mega Charizard Y, especially Stall teams. Sure, there are better megas than Zard Y, but it's been performing really well now (managed to peak #2 with it). Here's the set I've been using.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 44 HP / 252 SpA / 208 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Secret Sword
- Roost

So far, this thing perform really well, especially against Stall team. It also provide Sun support to make the Fire moves from other pokes hits harder. This poke is also very hard to switch into. Reason I'm using Modest over Timid is this.

252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Secret Sword vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 314-370 (48.9 - 57.6%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO

Another possible set is this, if you prefer mixed sets.

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty/Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- V-Create

It doesn't have Roost, but you can run max Speed EVs because you don't need any Attack EVs to break Chansey using this.

0 Atk Mega Charizard Y V-create vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 399-469 (62.1 - 73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I was also considering Quiver Dance, but because of Sun's limited turns and the amount of Extremespeeds in this meta, I think giving it a way to get past it's counters is better. I don't recommend Eruption, simply because it can't 2HKO Chansey. So far, the raw power of this poke decimates almost anything trying to switch in. Even resists can't take Fire Blasts in the Sun. I know some people will say "Mega Gardevoir's Boomburst hits harder." Sure, it hits harder, but the Sun support is pretty valuable, I think. Overall, a good poke for the mega slot if you use it right.

Edit: added Lunar Dance and Refresh to List of recommended moves in Recovery and Healing moves section. Thanks, micmacaroni.

Last edited:

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Dunno if it matters for anyone's vote (I don't think it should), but unless Mega Pinsir decides to sketch something like Bolt Strike over Espeed, Mega Slowbro is actually a counter.

252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 64+ Def Mega Slowbro: 111-132 (28.1 - 33.5%) -- 0.1% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Mega Pinsir Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 64+ Def Mega Slowbro: 94-112 (23.8 - 28.4%) -- 95.2% chance to 4HKO
252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 64+ Def Mega Slowbro: 166-196 (42.1 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 HP / 252+ Def avoids the 2HKO from Double-Edge 93.7% of the time after Stealth Rock, which I would call pretty good for a neutrality.

Meanwhile, Scald has a small chance of 2HKOing (unless you invest 180 SpA in it), Fire- or Ice-type coverage 2HKOs, and Power Gem OHKOs. If you really want to 2HKO but only have room for a Water-type STAB, Surf 2HKOs with minimal investment. You can also T-Wave or whatever if you don't need to KO it right away.
This isn't a counter, but a check; a boosted mega pinsir easily 2hkos, and if you don't run power gem it obviously doesn't kill it back. Not to mention that it needs to be at full health to even check it at +2 anyways.

This isn't a counter, but a check; a boosted mega pinsir easily 2hkos, and if you don't run power gem it obviously doesn't kill it back. Not to mention that it needs to be at full health to even check it at +2 anyways.
Fair enough. Still, it's closer than anything except, like, Skarmory. It also has a good matchup against other espeed users save, like, Refresh Mega Altaria -- though it would be wise to scout out the Boomburst on Alt anyways, but the point is that with enough investment it can eat a Wild Charge from Diggersby too, and as a Mega it naturally eats Knock Offs too. It's a Mega Pinsir check that nothing really carries the coverage to beat unboosted. It also has the typing to tank Fighting and Fire-type moves for your Espeed-resistant Steel-types, as well as threatening most relevant Ground-types with a Water STAB... has anyone seen Gastrodon in use?

Fair enough. Still, it's closer than anything except, like, Skarmory. It also has a good matchup against other espeed users save, like, Refresh Mega Altaria -- though it would be wise to scout out the Boomburst on Alt anyways, but the point is that with enough investment it can eat a Wild Charge from Diggersby too, and as a Mega it naturally eats Knock Offs too. It's a Mega Pinsir check that nothing really carries the coverage to beat unboosted. It also has the typing to tank Fighting and Fire-type moves for your Espeed-resistant Steel-types, as well as threatening most relevant Ground-types with a Water STAB... has anyone seen Gastrodon in use?
I saw a Gastrodon in one of my first ladder battles. No idea which Sketch move it was running, it was cockblocking by Mega Manectric and Volt Switch Starmie so hard until my Diggersby finally killed it with EQ when it had 78% (was probably SpD Gastro).

I don't really see what it would benefit much from in Sketchmons though. Maybe Will-o-Wisp, Searing Shot or Blue Flare? Or Freeze Dry to hit bulky Waters and Grass types?

I highly doubt any other Extreme Speeders will get banned. They just aren't as good.

I also don't see how it matters that people will "just replace" Mega Pinsir with other Pokemon if those Pokemon are vastly inferior as Extreme Speed abusers. Should OU have banned Frogadier when it banned Greninja, because it's the obvious Greninja replacement?

You are literally the only person asserting that other Extreme Speeders are going to be banned if we don't ban Extreme Speed itself at this point.

It doesn't really matter whether Diggersby outdamages Mega Pinsir. A key advantage Mega Pinsir has is that it has no fear of Ghosts. Sableye can drop a Will O Wisp on Diggersby and there's nothing Diggersby can do about it. Mega Pinsir instead rips Sableye in half before it moves. Diggersby's base Speed is also lower, making it easier for fast bulky choices to take it out, especially since Normal is a garbage type -Terrakion can switch in on Diggersby Swords Dancing and then OHKO it with Close Combat, tanking the Extreme Speed effortlessly. (Even with a Life Orb, Diggersby's best result is about 80% at +2) Mega Pinsir OHKOs Terrakion by a large margin in the same circumstances. Heck, Garchomp can run a stat spread that survives a Life Orb +2 Adamant Extreme Speed and outspeeds max Speed EVs Diggersby. Obviously it falls apart if hazards or other prior damage come into play, but my point is you just flatout cannot do that kind of thing to deal with Mega Pinsir. Diggersby is just less threatening, full stop, in no small part because its Extreme Speed is still the awful Normal type.

That first part is wrong, I literally just went through explaining how all of the extreme abusers aren't vastly inferior, they all have their own viable niches.
... oh no, Pokemon have viable niches, how terrible? What's your point here? Viable niches are a good thing. "Has almost no counters and can 1HKO much of the meta after a Swords Dance, with faster stuff usually dying horribly to Extreme Speed" is the problem here. There's no reason to ban a Pokemon because it has a viable niche. We might as well ban everything in the entire game under that logic.

Idk why but people seem to be underprepared when they come up against Mega Charizard Y, especially Stall teams. Sure, there are better megas than Zard Y, but it's been performing really well now (managed to peak #2 with it). Here's the set I've been using.

EVs: 44 HP / 252 SpA / 208 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Secret Sword
- Roost
THIS THING. I HATE THIS THING SO MUCH. Kills my Tyranitar switch-in in one hit, and if I bring in Keldeo instead I'm risking a Solar Beam OHKO. Uuuugggh.

It's surprising how much of an improvement Secret Sword is over Focus Blast, honestly. I had the thought too, but never tried it because it seemed like it would mostly be an anti-Chansey thing, which is cool and all but a bit specialized. Nope, it's really good.

I saw a Gastrodon in one of my first ladder battles. No idea which Sketch move it was running, it was cockblocking by Mega Manectric and Volt Switch Starmie so hard until my Diggersby finally killed it with EQ when it had 78% (was probably SpD Gastro).

I don't really see what it would benefit much from in Sketchmons though. Maybe Will-o-Wisp, Searing Shot or Blue Flare? Or Freeze Dry to hit bulky Waters and Grass types?
Will O Wisp seems a bit redundant with Scald. Trick Room could be a nasty surprise from it? It could also run Secret Sword to hate on Chansey and Specially Defensive Tyranitar.

Will O Wisp seems a bit redundant with Scald. Trick Room could be a nasty surprise from it? It could also run Secret Sword to hate on Chansey and Specially Defensive Tyranitar.
Eh.
0 SpA Gastrodon Secret Sword vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 152-180 (23.6 - 28%) -- 90.1% chance to 4HKO

0 Atk Gastrodon Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 170-204 (42.1 - 50.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Gastrodon Secret Sword vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 212-252 (52.6 - 62.5%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Meanwhile Tyranitar's doing a whole lot of nothing in return, so Gastrodon can absolutely afford to take its time. I feel like it might work better as a spinner/defogger, seeing as how it causes problems for bulky ground-type (traditional) rocks setters.

I'd rather my TR setter have better protection against powerful moves -- Gastrodon could certainly go on more defensively oriented Trick Room teams, but maybe not as a setter.

I've been attempting Sand Stall lately to some success. Stall is really tough to use consistently in Sketchmons, because pretty much anything can be running a lure set and probably OHKO/2HKO whatever you think your best wall is for it, but the ability to Sketch recovery, hazard control moves, and status onto bulky Pokemon is really nice. I've been using a core of Recover MAggron+Recover Tyranitar+Rapid Spin RegenVest Slowking, and I've found that it has worked surprisingly well. Tyranitar and Slowking can handle most Special Attackers together (except for Chop's evil Charizard-Mega-Y, which manhandles it with prediction) and Aggron-Mega's physical bulk is, quite simply, ridiculous. For reference:

252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 140-166 (40.8 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

That's just stupid.

Incidentally, alongside my core (bear in mind that the team is still relatively inchoate) I have a PH KS Gliscor for status absorbtion/general annoyance/secondary Espeed stop, Topsy-Turvy Klefki, and Clefable. Still working out exactly what works best as a Sketched move on Clef, but I've liked King's Shield, Heart Swap, and Spikes all. I tried Quiver Dance, but I found that Clefable lacks the power to really make the most of it.

I actually think stall is pretty good in this meta, I've been using Sheddy stall all along and am currently 1 on the ladder with a decent GXE, so its relatively consistent. You have to scout a lot more than standard but being able to use every mon with recovery is just so, so good. Chansey is as good as ever, dealing with every boomburster except like specs poryz with rocks up (And nasty plot poryz too, but nothing stands up to that so why even try) and can have a lot of fun with its sketched move- I like Roar myself, but things like Metal Burst seem cool too. Shedinja is amazing although people are starting to prepare for it more (rocky helmet Rotom-W... ok) via pursuit and sand and such, so I've resorted to baton pass over protect to escape some of the slower ones.

Phys def Diancie has been kinda cool dealing with most flying and fire types, but also importantly being a great answer to dark types, especially Hoopa-U who is otherwise really difficult to deal with. I've also used spdef coil hoopa as a wincon which is actually ok, mainly just because it hits hard af off the bat, so its a threat even if it doesnt get a chance to boost. So yeah, a lot of fun options for the playstyle.

Wanted to chime in on the suspects and say that extreme speed should be banned in this mode on ALL mons, not just pinsir/mega pinsir. It's just as deadly when on diggersby, altaria, weavile or anything else. There's just no counter for extreme speed. Prankster isn't fast enough to get in a destiny bond, even if you have a quick claw attached and got lucky. Steel types can't withstand it, especially if they boosted attack before using extreme speed. Even if they do survive it, most extreme speeders have a ground type move as backup.

Mega pinisr is a pain (especially with bullet seed, extreme speed, or mach punch) but at least a fire move can bring it down if you can outspeed it (hahaha) or get lucky and can endure it. It's OP otherwise, though.

Last edited:
Wanted to chime in on the suspects and say that extreme speed should be banned in this mode on ALL mons, not just pinsir/mega pinsir. It's just as deadly when on diggersby, altaria, weavile or anything else. There's just no counter for extreme speed. Prankster isn't fast enough to get in a destiny bond, even if you have a quick claw attached and got lucky. Steel types can't withstand it, especially if they boosted attack before using extreme speed. Even if they do survive it, most extreme speeders have a ground type move as backup.

Mega pinisr is a pain (especially with bullet seed, extreme speed, or mach punch) but at least a fire move can bring it down if you can outspeed it (hahaha) or get lucky and can endure it. It's OP otherwise, though.
Why all mons? Why did it suddenly become overpowered on Dragonite and Arcanine if regular OU can handle both just fine WITHOUT extra coverage.

I would agree with the ban of Inability to Sketch Extremespeed. But that seems complex.

If it were able to be done, however, we wouldn't have any problems. Mega Pinsir would go back to where it was, we wouldn't be scrambling to debate if Altaria or Ursaring were broken, and no mons would be banned. Dragonite and Arcanine would have the same niches as before, and the same counters. All would be fine. Keep Mega Pinsir if Extremespeed is able to handle him, but why take it away from mons that only mostly use it already?

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Aqua Jet
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off

Behold the king of R-Killing and Wallbreaking. Adaptability LO Sucker Punch is enough is deal about 70% to over a half of the meta, and all the other moves can do their usual stuff. And for reference, without LO, Sucker Punch does around 80% to Serperior. With LO, it can near OHKO after Rocks. The damage potential guys.

Also:
REGGIE KICKASS (Regigigas) @ Leftovers
Ability: Slow Start
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Skill Swap
- Drain Punch
- Return
- Knock Off

Regigigas does the Skill Swap thing MUCH better than Slaking. It has much better overall bulk, it learns Knock Off AND Drain Punch, which further extend its longevity, and Slow Start can be extremely detrimental when swapped onto ANY physical attacker, or speedy sweeper in general. Get Wisp support with this and you have a nigh unstoppable killing machine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)