Slowking (Analysis)

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

[Overview]

<p>Slowking has an interesting niche as a mixed tank in the BW OU metagame, but it often falls short of a place on many teams due its mediocre Defense, abysmal Speed, and weakness to Pursuit and U-turn, all which make its life extremely uncomfortable in a tier dominated by physical powerhouses, namely Tyranitar and Scizor. It also faces direct competition from its physically defensive cousin Slowbro, who is often preferred for its ability to counter many of the game's powerful Fighting-types.</p>

<p>Fans of the king may rejoice, however, for what it lacks in raw defensive capability, it makes up for in general utility. With Nasty Plot, Slowking establishes itself as a very competent sweeping aid, and poses a veritable threat under Trick Room. Its solid Special Defense and extremely useful ability, Regenerator, also make it a valuable candidate for absorbing a stray Hydro Pump or Draco Meteor without fear of being worn down over the course of a match. While it may not find a home on many conventional teams, the eccentric but effective nature of the king's abilities earn it a silent spot within the populous OU metagame.</p>

[SET]
name: Tank
move 1: Scald
move 2: Psychic / Flamethrower
move 3: Dragon Tail
move 4: Slack Off
item: Leftovers
ability: Regenerator
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>In a tier where auto-weather dominates, Slowking's defensive prowess is a blessing. Its Water and Fire resistances allow it to switch in on the common weather starters Ninetales and Politoed without being a worn away, thanks to Regenerator. The Water resistance is crucial here as Politoed is by far the more common of the two. Infernape, another problematic Pokemon for many teams, is also countered consummately; factoring in Leftovers recovery, even a Nasty Plot-boosted Grass Knot fails to 2HKO Slowking. Be on the lookout for U-turn though, as it gives Infernape a free shot and an instant ticket out of the match-up, which could spell doom for Slowking if Infernape is paired with a Pursuit user.</p>

<p>As a mixed wall, Slowking carries a great burden on its shoulders, as it is expected to switch in on and scare off a wide range of potent physical and special attackers. Its important Fighting resistance, glaring Pursuit weakness, and modest Defense stat mean Slowking can't invest as much in its Special Defense as it might like. The current EV spread compromises by giving it enough Special Defense to switch in on Specs Politoed's rain-boosted Hydro Pumps, while also allowing it to wall powerful STAB Fighting-type attacks from the likes of Conkeldurr and Choice Band Terrakion. It may not always be safe for the king to switch in, though; Terrakion's X-Scissor or Stone Edge will wreck Slowking, and a Conkeldurr at +1 will 2HKO with Payback.</p>

<p>Scald is the STAB attack of choice for its burn rate, which helps ward off potential counters like Tyranitar. Psychic also gives it a chance to counter Fighting-types such as Machamp, Conkeldurr, and Toxicroak, while also preventing Tentacruel from setting up Toxic Spikes without fear, while Flamethrower is mainly used to combat Scizor and Ferrothorn trying to switch in. Dragon Tail lets Slowking force out anything it can't beat immediately, and phases set-up Pokemon like Reuniclus, Latias, and Conkeldurr in a clutch situation.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>More than anything else, Slowking appreciates bulky partners to take care of the threats it can't handle. For example, it is absolutely useless in the face of a Calm Mind Latias with Substitute, since Dragon Tail doesn't deal enough damage to break its Substitutes. Ironically, its greatest nemeses, Scizor and Tyranitar, come in handy here, since they're two of the best Latias counters; in return, Slowking can shield them from incoming Fire- or Fighting-type attacks. In this regard, Slowking is also an ideal partner for Ferrothorn, as it walls both of Ferrothorn's weaknesses with impunity. This is a one-sided partnership, however, since Ferrothorn won't be of any help in countering the likes of Celebi and Raikou, despite resisting their main STAB moves. Enemy bulky Water-types, especially those carrying Water-immune abilities, will hate taking a Toxic, as it hinders their longevity. This applies especially to Gastrodon, Vaporeon, and Jellicent, who otherwise perpetually wall Slowking.</p>

<p>Hail teams benefit heavily from Slowking's ability to switch into Politoed and Ninetales, not to mention the exceedingly dangerous Infernape. Slowking can also be used alongside a defensive core of Skarmory and Blissey to alleviate the team's weakness to Infernape and other mixed attackers. Ice Beam can be used to check the likes of Dragonite and Salamence, while Yawn more or less functions in the same way Dragon Tail does, but has limited use due to Sleep Clause and status-immune targets.</p>

[SET]
name: Defensive Nasty Plot
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Scald
move 3: Psyshock
move 4: Ice Beam / Fire Blast / Slack Off
item: Leftovers
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>As mentioned previously, there isn't a whole lot Slowking can do better than Slowbro in the standard metagame. Thankfully, this set utilizes one of Slowking's greatest selling points over its cousin: Nasty Plot. Unlike Calm Mind, this move allows Slowking to boost its Special Attack to dangerous levels twice as quickly, enabling it to survive powerful hits from sweepers and KO in return, or overcome walls that would otherwise impede its progress. For example, Zapdos cannot OHKO without a Life Orb-boosted Thunder, and Slowking can retaliate with one of its boosted attacks. Nasty Plot Celebi also has trouble dealing with Slowking, as a +2 Ice Beam or Fire Blast will OHKO with some prior damage, while an unboosted Giga Drain barely takes away half of Slowking's HP. Even Swords Dance Virizion, which targets Slowbro's weaker Defense stat, fails to OHKO with Leaf Blade, and is easily OHKOed by Psyshock.</p>

<p>Defensive Pokemon have an especially hard time stopping Slowking, since they lack the means to KO it right away. +2 Psyshock handily 2HKOs Blissey, while a +2 Ice Beam or Fire Blast slays defensive Celebi. Ferrothorn, however, can survive a boosted attack in the rain and deal heavy damage with Power Whip. Regenerator is key to this set's effectiveness: while Slowking may not be able to sweep an entire team in one sitting, Regenerator gives it multiple chances to switch in and set up by recovering 33% of its health on each switch.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This type of Slowking is best used in the rain, but for different reasons than one might expect: Slowking and Politoed share many common checks, whom Slowking can effectively lure out and defeat. The boost provided by rain also helps Slowking plow through bulky offensive Pokemon such as Reuniclus, who can otherwise stall Slowking out with Calm Mind. Focus Blast is an alternative coverage option to deal more damage to both Ferrothorn and Tyranitar, but an untimely miss will be the end of the king.</p>

[SET]
name: Trick Room
move 1: Trick Room
move 2: Surf
move 3: Focus Blast / Fire Blast
move 4: Nasty Plot / Ice Beam
item: Life Orb
nature: Quiet
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
ivs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Slowking is no slouch as a Trick Room sweeper, and is once again comparable to Slowbro in all but the move Nasty Plot. Rather than absorbing blows and striking back with even greater force, this type of Slowking gets the jump on its opponents by turning their speed against them and promptly proceeds to KO all in its path with the appropriate boosted moves. Unlike Slowking's other sets, an all-out Trick Room sweeper requires the higher Base Power of Surf. Its other moveslots are dedicated to coverage: Fire Blast secures a guaranteed OHKO on even the bulkiest of Ferrothorn and Scizor in neutral weather, whereas Focus Blast hits Tyranitar, who often invests heavily in Special Defense to shrug off all but the most powerful Surfs in OU. It also retains coverage against Ferrothorn if Fire Blast is not being used. Slowking may struggle to find two turns to both set up Trick Room and Nasty Plot for a sweep; if so, Ice Beam can use used instead for coverage against Dragons.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Though decent as a standalone sweeper, the support this type of Slowking offers for Trick Room teams is vital. Its typing, bulk, and Regenerator allow it many switch-ins, and a dedicated Trick Room team would really appreciate the lingering field effect. In addition to supporting its team with Trick Room, Slowking also has the option of running a more defensive build to stay in the game longer and cover its teammates' weaknesses; in this case, the standard tank spread would be desirable, with a Sassy nature, 0 Speed IVs, and Slack Off replacing Nasty Plot.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Slowking can run an effective Choice Specs set, but is hampered by Trick being incompatible with Regenerator. Calm Mind sets are entirely outclassed by Slowbro, who has a much higher base Defense to work with. Thunder Wave is an inferior option on sets that employ the use of Scald, since it denies Slowking the chance to burn some of its common physical enemies. Grass Knot is only useful in defeating Gastrodon, as Swampert and Quagsire lacking Water Absorb already take a decent amount of damage from a rain-boosted Scald, with an additional burn chance.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Unless burned switching in, Tyranitar wreaks havoc on all Slowking sets. Defensive variants 2HKO the king effortlessly with Crunch, as a +2 Scald barely dents Tyranitar, and Choice Band variants can trap king with Pursuit. Choice Scarf Tyranitar is also a good counter, but its Crunch is weaker and does not OHKO, whereas a boosted Scald can take it out after Stealth Rock damage. Scrafty can also switch in on Slowking and boost without fear unless it's raining, in which case Scrafty risks being KOed by a +2 Scald. Scizor and the less common Escavalier are also forerunners among Slowking counters. Like Tyranitar, their Choice Band sets can trap it with Pursuit, while Scizor's U-turn can OHKO or steal momentum as Slowking switches out. However, both fear Scald's burn chance in addition to Flamethrower or Fire Blast.</p>

<p>Slowking's Defense is much weaker than its Special Defense, so it generally has more problems dealing with physical powerhouses. Choice Band Haxorus, for instance, can KO it with Outrage after Stealth Rock damage. Ferrothorn can also dent it severely with Power Whip, or set up entry hazards if Slowking isn't packing a Fire-type move. Electric- and Grass-types, such as Virizion and Zapdos, also make good checks as long as Slowking is not at full health or hasn't boosted. Keep an eye out for Rotom-W and Celebi especially, as both are very common in standard play, with the latter using Slowking as a free setup opportunity should it lack Ice Beam or Fire Blast. Hydregion can also threaten Slowking with Dark Pulse.</p>

Just a question, what niche does this have in OU?
1) Everything Slowbro has, which includes cool typing, good stats, awesome ability, and epic movepool. Basically, it's a special Slowbro (which typically makes it less useful, but not always).
2) TR + NP (and/or recovery, but NP is what sets it apart from other TR 'mons).

SJCrew

That massive Special Defense that makes it not instantly murdered by Specs Surfs and Draco Meteors is what I'm mainly looking at. But of course, it has some very prominent physical enemies in OUs too, and should be EV'd to handle them accordingly. Also, as Slim Man said, Nasty Plot.

Since I don't have quite as much experience with the King as I do the mons I've written for in the past, I may actually bother to do a skeleton this time.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I finally gave Slowking some consideration, thought about it for a while, and decided to test it out, given its typing and good Special Attack stat.

Slowking isn't that bad on Drizzle teams, actually. This is one of the effective sets I've used to combat other troublesome Pokemon:

name: Trick Room (Rain)
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Ice Beam
evs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD

Alright, so this Slowking is obviously designed to function on Drizzle teams (as a standalone sweeper) because of the lack of Nasty Plot and the use of Life Orb. Rain works perfectly well in conjunction with Slowking's fantastic Special Attack and STAB.

The reason why Slowking has to use Focus Blast is because Ferrothorn will become more of an annoyance (now that its Fire-type weakness has been halved), and Fire Blast really can't be used. Given the popularity of Tyranitar, Focus Blast ensures an OHKO on pretty much any offensive Tyranitar, as well as 74.3% - 88.1% to Specially Defensive variants (these numbers assume Slowking is fighting in Sandstorm). A weakened Tyranitar would definitely mean an advantage.

Surf is pretty much the main move here, capable to doing heavy damage to many neutral treats (248 HP Scizor takes 96.5% - 114% from Rain-boosted Surf), while Focus Blast and Ice Beam are used for resistances. Ice Beam is obviously reserved for Dragon-type Pokemon (especially Dragonite and Latios who gives Drizzle teams some trouble), and Focus Blast has already been detailed.

The main reason to actually use Trick Room is to break the momentum of opposing offensive teams, and to spam Rain-boosted Surfs whenever possible. When you encounter Tyranitar, give it the Blast. Regenerator heals any damage taken from Life Orb, enabling Slowking to stay healthy and deliver heavy hits consistently.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Ya, that set looks good, except you might want to slash Nasty Plot somewhere.

The defensive set should look something like this:

Slowking (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Dragon Tail
- Flamethrower / Fire Blast
- Slack Off

AC:
-Add SpDef EVs, though not too many, as this hinders its ability to survive Pursuit. Slowking's typing is geared towards absorbing physical attacks, since it's weak to common moves used on special sweepers (Grass, Electric, Ghost, etc.)
-Thunder Wave or Psychic somewhere (but if you give up Dragon Tail, you're probably better off using Slowbro).

SJCrew

For those who've been wondering about this analysis's progress, I've been waiting for the Smogon server to go up so I can study him some more and accrue sufficient data. I'm not exactly keen on the idea of writing from the PO meta, since they have Swift Swim and Blaziken unbanned, which would undoubtedly factor heavily in my play experience.

(but if you give up Dragon Tail, you're probably better off using Slowbro).
It seems like that Bold spread would be outclassed by Slowbro, but the King actually pulls that off better-

252/252/4 bold Slowking- 394/284/257

252/8/244 bold Slowbro- 394/283/257

So not only is Slowking safe from being outclassed with that spread, its actually a tiny bit more efficient.

A problem I found with max/max bold King is that it can't comfortably sponge Specs Hydro Pumps from Politoed if SR is up, taking 43.9-51.8%. 252/240/16 Calm can do it, taking 39.1-46.2%.

Again Slowking pulls off that spread a tiny bit more efficiently

252/240/16 calm King- 394/256/286

252/4/252 calm Bro- 394/257/284

Running this spread also allows you to take Timid Specs Draco Meteor from Latios after SR. It can still take a CB Scizor/Scarftar Pursuit after SR, taking a max of 79.7% from Scizor, and there wasn't a stronger one the Bold version could take. Im favoring 252/240/16 Calm as the main defensive spread.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Ya, 252 HP/240 Def/16 SpD Calm is fine, even though it doesn't really have a shot at living +2 Adamant Balloon Excadrill with this spread. When I said that you're better off using Slowbro if you don't use Dragon Tail, I wasn't talking about EV spread efficiency. Slowbro's stats are just WAY better for its typing. And on Slowbro, you shouldn't really use anything other than 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD Bold (that spread gives Slowbro the best chance of living two consecutive +2 Gliscor EQs after Stealth Rock and Sandstorm).

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
It seems like that Bold spread would be outclassed by Slowbro, but the King actually pulls that off better-

252/252/4 bold Slowking- 394/284/257

252/8/244 bold Slowbro- 394/283/257

So not only is Slowking safe from being outclassed with that spread, its actually a tiny bit more efficient.
Except you're missing 4 EVs from Slowbro so 252/12/244 Bold would give you that exact same Slowking spread.

A problem I found with max/max bold King is that it can't comfortably sponge Specs Hydro Pumps from Politoed if SR is up, taking 43.9-51.8%. 252/240/16 Calm can do it, taking 39.1-46.2%.

Again Slowking pulls off that spread a tiny bit more efficiently

252/240/16 calm King- 394/256/286

252/4/252 calm Bro- 394/257/284

Running this spread also allows you to take Timid Specs Draco Meteor from Latios after SR. It can still take a CB Scizor/Scarftar Pursuit after SR, taking a max of 79.7% from Scizor, and there wasn't a stronger one the Bold version could take. Im favoring 252/240/16 Calm as the main defensive spread.
Except you can't really say "more efficient" because you're emphasizing what Slowking has over Slowbro (if Slowking went 252/248/8, it'd have the same spread as Slowbro). Those 16 SpD points give a jump point for Slowking so obviously it would be "more efficient", whereas Slowbro hits the cap.

SJCrew

Slowking really doesn't need that much Defense. Defensive Nasty Plot is going first in the analysis anyway, so he's not that worried about trouncing in Slowbro's territory unless he's trying overly hard to be a physical wall. I've done some testing today and the spread I'm using is 252 HP/180 Def/76 Sp. Def Calm. It's survived every physical hit I needed it to, survives Latios' Draco Meteor with health to spare even after Rocks, and has yet to be KOed by a stray Thunderbolt. This is going in the analysis.

specially defensive slowking

I notice you leave the 2nd move slot blank. you should put slack off in there, and since this is a specially defensive set, i assume not defensive ev's, since that would be encroaching on slowbro's territory, unless will a little investment it survives a OHKO from some important counter
just my 2 cents

SJCrew

Slowking wouldn't be very effective in OU if it didn't have at least a few Defense EVs; it would just get Pursuited all day and not be able to abuse its Fighting resist. Also, this is still technically a placeholder, so try to hold out on comments about what's missing until I have the full analysis up.

I finally gave Slowking some consideration, thought about it for a while, and decided to test it out, given its typing and good Special Attack stat.

Slowking isn't that bad on Drizzle teams, actually. This is one of the effective sets I've used to combat other troublesome Pokemon:

name: Trick Room (Rain)

Alright, so this Slowking is obviously designed to function on Drizzle teams (as a standalone sweeper) because of the lack of Nasty Plot and the use of Life Orb.
Change that to Trick Room (Weather),

Flamethrower / Fire Blast could easily go over that Surf on a sun team. Why? Slowking absorbs Special Water/Ice/Fire moves for the Fire types allies, while they in turn absorb Grass/Bug moves, and Chlorophyllers absorb Electric moves. In fact Volcarona absorbs Grass, Dark, Bug, moves and can benefit from the sun.

name: Trick Room (Weather)
move 2: Surf / Fire Blast / Flamethrower

Slowking better handles Ferrothorn, Levitate Bronzong, Metagross, Jirachi, Scizor, Forretress, Magnezone, and Skarmary due to its fire move of choice, while Focus Blast provides coverage for Tyranitar, Heatran, etc.

Chandelure is a counter to the Drought version. This set can come as a surprise to many foes expecting Fire types.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
I'm sorry, but I have trouble understanding why defensive Slowking needs THAT much special defense; its typing simply does not allow it to be a special wall. Choice Band Terakion clean 2HKOs that spread with Close Combat after stealth rock and sandstorm and even Scizor's Choice Banded Pursuit has a chance to KO after Stealth Rock damage. Ultimately, Slowking's typing benefits from taking physical hits over special hits, so I would like to propose a compromise:

252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SDef Calm

which yields the stats:

394 HP / 246 Def / 297 SDef (that spread still has a very strong special bias, and will allow Slowking to tank any special hit that isn't STAB super effective)

This spread lets Slowking live Specs Latios's Draco Meteor after switching into Stealth Rock with Sandstorm up, comfortably lives Scizor's CB Pursuit, and almost never gets 2HKO'd by Choice Band Terakion's close combat after SR and SS. 56 SDef reaches a bonus point.

SJCrew

The one in the analysis was tentative anyway, and testing results have proven it to be largely ineffective, which is why I haven't written anything up for it yet. I'll make a note to change that later.

The Defensive NP spread, however, is golden, and I'm not touching it with a ten-foot pole.

SJCrew

I'm removing Slowking's traditional tank set altogether. It's not really good at stopping anything, and as usual, the results of my testing it came out poorly.

It seems like all this guy can really do in OU is Defensive NP and set up Trick Room. How do you guys feel about Choice Specs?

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
No, Slowking's tank set is very good. It is essentially a sturdier Jellicent that can regenerate and pHaze (despite not being able to spinblock).

I think one of the reasons that it may have been unsuccessful in your tests is because you run Psychic. There is literally no reason to run this move as Slowking handles Conkeldurr just as well by pHazing him out and regenerating the damage afterwards.

Slowking just isn't outclassed by anything, and therefore deserves a set.

SJCrew

Psychic is not the problem. The problem is that as a defensive Fighting resist, Slowking is a liability. If you don't have Psychic, there's really nothing at all you can do against Conk, and once Dragon Tail misses, you're fucked.

My problems with the tank set probably lie within the type of team I'm using. I headed back to the lab today and tried it today on a Hail team. Fire/Fighting resists, a good switch-in on Toed that doesn't risk Aboma, and an Infernape counter is basically THE package. I'll make special emphasis on this in the analysis. I will also mention that it is a terrible Conkeldurr counter.

SJCrew

The analysis is done. Basically everything was changed, as I got to know Slowking very well this past month.

[SET]

name: Trick Room
move 3: Focus Blast / Fire Blast
move 4: Ice Beam / Ice Beam / Nasty Plot
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Sp. Att
ivs: 0 Spe
Ice Beam/Ice Beam

Also, I know that this is an offensive TR set, but I think Slack Off deserves a mention in AC (not a slash, just AC), for TR teams who would need him to stick around. He's got Regenerator, but still... :\

On the NP set, I might give Slack Off the first slash. However, having not used that set this Gen, I can't speak to that, so SJ knows better than I do.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
As far as the Trick Room set goes, I'm not entirely sure Psyshock is worth using just for hitting Chansey and Blissey. Slowking has much more valuable coverage against the likes of Dragonite and Latios with Ice Beam, and Psyshock is basically nothing other than a moderately power STAB move... for specific targets. If anything, I think it deserves a place in the AC, as you can simply employ a physical TR sweeper to take care of both of the blobs.

Other than that, I think this looks solid as it is.

SJCrew

Yeah, tacking on Psyshock for no reason is a bad habit of mine. Judging from my calculations, it's not even worth a mention.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)