Resource SM RU Simple Questions, Simple Answers

How do you pressure opposing spinners/defoggers for web teams? Also, which is the best web setter. I know that ribombee is the fastest, but does that mean it is the best?

Speaking of which, what pokemon do well on web teams? I've heard that there are lots of bad web teams and I want to avoid this.

Natan

is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
How do you pressure opposing spinners/defoggers for web teams? Also, which is the best web setter. I know that ribombee is the fastest, but does that mean it is the best?

Speaking of which, what pokemon do well on web teams? I've heard that there are lots of bad web teams and I want to avoid this.
First: Ribombee is the best Webs user, Web QD/HP Ground (since it allows you to threaten Sala) STABs can pressure virtually any hazard control in the tier (and its faster than Espeon).
Mons that fit are: Nidoqueen or Necrozma are the best rockers (Specially biased Necrozma with Knock and Twisted Spoon preferenciably) as they can pressure most hazard control in the tier, you can try something like Offensive Milotic if you wanna abuse Defog. All Webs teams imo should have Honchkrow. DD/SD Feraligatr and Kommo-o are nice Webs abusers, so is SD Necrozma. Mismagius should be able to do well against pretty much any Defog user if you wanna try that and can work as a spinblocker (just be careful with it), in general strong slow Pokemon are great wallbreakers for Webs, just make sure you're not 6-0ed by faster airbourne Pokemon like Swellow, Flygon and (mainly) Sigilyph.

Last edited:

Senpai D.M

さようなら
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Araquanid is worth a mention for a bulkier approach and personally overall better at setting up webs and managing to keep them up in the long run where ribombee dies off alot quicker making it more difficult to even make sure you get webs for remainder of match.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Basically Slowbro basically has way too much competition and doesnt manage to stand out as a psychic or water-type compared to its competition. It is just not threatening in the long run as a bulky calm mind user compared to even Cresselia, and doesnt offer the defensive safety that a Pokemon like Milotic offers thanks to Refresh and not being as vulnerable to Toxic. Even Slowking is far more useful since it still has an assault vest that can soft check plenty of special attackers while making better use of its typing to sponge special attacks.

In the end it isnt good, and doesnt offer much to a team to bother using it unfortunately.

Basically Slowbro basically has way too much competition and doesnt manage to stand out as a psychic or water-type compared to its competition. It is just not threatening in the long run as a bulky calm mind user compared to even Cresselia, and doesnt offer the defensive safety that a Pokemon like Milotic offers thanks to Refresh and not being as vulnerable to Toxic. Even Slowking is far more useful since it still has an assault vest that can soft check plenty of special attackers while making better use of its typing to sponge special attacks.

In the end it isnt good, and doesnt offer much to a team to bother using it unfortunately.
Never in my life I ever thought that I would see people saying that Slowking is now better than Slowbro. Oh how the Cycles twist and turn.

what is the best t spiker?
Personally I'd say Roserade - it's quite fast, hits really hard and most of the tiers spinners and Defoggers (bar Rotom-H, which still won't enjoy taking a Sludge Bomb) don't want to switch into it.

Is Special Kommo-O still viable? I know Dragon Dance is likely its best set now, but are its old Special sets still worth using, and if so why?

cyanize

Mantra Good I Casted So Many Spells U Idiot
is a Community Contributor
I'd imagine special sets are still just as effective as they used to be; Specs is still a quite solid breaker with high immediate power, and Autotomize is still a decent wincon that isn't quite as easily revenged as Dragon Dance at the cost of lower overall power. Offensive Rocks Kommo-o also usually is specially biased (Clanging Scales / Flamethrower / Close Combat as its attacks) in order to more easily threaten common hazard clearers and provide the best coverage. Of course, this all comes at the opportunity cost of not using the fearsome sweeper that is Dragon Dance Kommo-o.

They were banned by UU. It's possible that baton pass will be revisited, but I find it very unlikely that drizzle will be revisited so long as Kingdra is here. Drizzle was already extremely powerful in Alpha before UU banned it and that was without Kingdra
liepard damp rock, is a great rain setter

cyanize

Mantra Good I Casted So Many Spells U Idiot
is a Community Contributor
Gastrogan If you need team rating/help, it's better to ask in the RU room on Showdown or in the RU Discord so you can get help in real time from different perspectives.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
what caused almost all the grass types bar like chesnaught to move down 1 or more viability ranks between SM and USUM?
Overall it was because of rise of a few grass-resistant mons, namely kommo, moltres, yanmega, durant, and sigilyph, but its also because Chesnaught and Roserade were both really influential because of Spikes mainly, and those aren't as good now that we actually have defoggers.

Abomasnow was always overrated imo but it fell for pretty much the same reasons + mons like feraligatr often carry superpower now which can deal with it.

Decidueye was really good because he was a really scary balance breaker for his ability to set up (with sub and sd) for free on registeel assuming it gets in without getting toxiced, and since registeel dropped in viability decidueye's viability also dropped. then there's factors like SD necrozma being a better balance as well as stallbreaker so it kinda outclasses decidueye in that regard.

Is the old SM style of Stored Power Necrozma now completely outclassed by more offensive variants with its access to a lot of new moves?

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Is the old SM style of Stored Power Necrozma now completely outclassed by more offensive variants with its access to a lot of new moves?
It's more so outclassed by other CM users, namely just Meloetta and Sigilyph. It was never a good CM user in my opinion but with the new moves it got and the fact that there are better Psychic CM users just completely makes it an unviable choice.

queso

too cheesy
is a Tiering Contributor
What are some of the best/most common kommo-o sets? Saw that it became S, and I'm assuming it's due to kommo-o getting cc in USUM, or is it for another reason?

What are some of the best/most common kommo-o sets? Saw that it became S, and I'm assuming it's due to kommo-o getting cc in USUM, or is it for another reason?
Kommo-o typically runs two different sets right now enabled by its new tutor moves.

Kommo-o @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Close Combat
- Earthquake

This is probably the more common of the two, Dragon Dance which became good when Kommo-o received a better fighting STAB than Sky Uppercut in Close Combat, allowing it a strong hit vs Steels like Durant and Escavelier, and a strong way to hit a lot of stuff for neutral damage in general without having to lock into Outrage. Basically, getting a strong STAB move without the massive drawbacks of outrage allowed DD to become much more effective, utilizing Kommo-o's natural bulk and power.

Kommo-o @ Draco Plate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Clanging Scales
- Flamethrower

This is the other set that's occasionally seen, which utilizes the addition of Stealth Rock to its movepool. This makes a pretty good rocker on balance and bulkier offenisve builds, as its able to both set up rocks, deny other common rockers like Nidoqueen and Registeel, and still often fire off a couple attacks with good damage output.

Kommo-o typically runs two different sets right now enabled by its new tutor moves.

Kommo-o @ Dragonium Z
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Close Combat
- Earthquake

This is probably the more common of the two, Dragon Dance which became good when Kommo-o received a better fighting STAB than Sky Uppercut in Close Combat, allowing it a strong hit vs Steels like Durant and Escavelier, and a strong way to hit a lot of stuff for neutral damage in general without having to lock into Outrage. Basically, getting a strong STAB move without the massive drawbacks of outrage allowed DD to become much more effective, utilizing Kommo-o's natural bulk and power.

Kommo-o @ Draco Plate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Clanging Scales
- Flamethrower

This is the other set that's occasionally seen, which utilizes the addition of Stealth Rock to its movepool. This makes a pretty good rocker on balance and bulkier offenisve builds, as its able to both set up rocks, deny other common rockers like Nidoqueen and Registeel, and still often fire off a couple attacks with good damage output.
Don't use Earthquake on DD Kommo-O, it has redundant coverage with Close Combat. It only really hits Doublade (and still isn't anywhere close to a OHKO); most Poison types already get smashed by Outrage. Iron Head or Iron Tail are better options IMO, so Fairy-types don't completely wall you.
+1 252 Atk Kommo-o Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 136-162 (42.2 - 50.3%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO

Kommo-O can also run Choice Specs and Autotomize sets, but neither are as good as the Dragon Dance set.

Last edited:

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Don't use Earthquake on DD Kommo-O, it has redundant coverage with Close Combat. It only really hits Doublade (and still isn't anywhere close to a OHKO); most Poison types already get smashed by Outrage. Iron Head or Iron Tail are better options IMO, so Fairy-types don't completely wall you.
+1 252 Atk Kommo-o Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 136-162 (42.2 - 50.3%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO

Kommo-O can also run Choice Specs and Autotomize sets, but neither are as good as the Dragon Dance set.
What fairy types even good in RU that you need to run Iron Head? fwiw Doublade is way more common and splashable than Florges and Comfey (lol). Earthquake should definitely be the main move to run in DD sets.

I used this Kommo-o set and I really like it as well

Kommo-o @ Life Orb
Ability: Bulletproof
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Ice Punch legit 2HKOes Gligar which is a great thing since they usually try to Defog on you when they see Stealth Rock Kommo-o. LO Close Combat hits really hard and actually 2HKOes Milotic :blobuwu:

Last edited:

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What is the thought process behind choosing Kommos ability?
The only reason you'd run Bulletproof is if you don't have a check to Roserade and Venusaur. DD Kommo-o does have a nice niche having Bulletproof to stop Gyro Ball Doublade from hitting it hard though. The need to check opposing Kommo-o, and Yanmega are far more important in teambuilding, as they are far more common and are more viable. Also, having Soundproof makes Kommo-o set up on opposing Kommo-o and Specs Yanmega (although the opponent would be careful to click Bug Buzz).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)