Metagame SM Ubers General Metagame Discussion

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Here is an interesting lesser Klefki replacement:
Magearna @ Leftovers / Sitrus / whatever (I used sitrus because it helped a bit with Xerneas calcs)
Ability: Soul Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 152 SpA / 104 SpD
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Heart Swap
- Volt Switch / Thunder Wave
- Steel move likely but these are all weaker than Fleur Cannon vs Xerneas

I haven't gotten mileage out of Heart Swap yet, but I do think it needs this to even resemble a Geomancy Answer. Fleur Cannon will do mid 20s percentage-wise to specially Defensive Groudon which is better than nothing but it is still unfortunate that this thing doesn't get Toxic (unlike >90% of mons that exist). Solg + Groudon is annoying because you want to Twave / Volt Switch Solg while you want to Fleur Cannon Groudon, but its the best this thing has got. I'm throwing a potential Yveltal + Xern answer at the wall here and I personally don't think it is amazing, but hey, it's something at least.

pyu

formerly pyubae
Here is an interesting lesser Klefki replacement:
Magearna @ Leftovers / Sitrus / whatever (I used sitrus because it helped a bit with Xerneas calcs)
Ability: Soul Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 152 SpA / 104 SpD
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Heart Swap
- Volt Switch / Thunder Wave
- Steel move likely but these are all weaker than Fleur Cannon vs Xerneas

I haven't gotten mileage out of Heart Swap yet, but I do think it needs this to even resemble a Geomancy Answer. Fleur Cannon will do mid 20s percentage-wise to specially Defensive Groudon which is better than nothing but it is still unfortunate that this thing doesn't get Toxic (unlike >90% of mons that exist). Solg + Groudon is annoying because you want to Twave / Volt Switch Solg while you want to Fleur Cannon Groudon, but its the best this thing has got. I'm throwing a potential Yveltal + Xern answer at the wall here and I personally don't think it is amazing, but hey, it's something at least.
Nice set. I'm gonna try it out in replacement of banded yveltal, thanks!

Kartana sucks. It doesn't belong in Ubers.

Looking like P-Ogre is going to get a big boost this gen with the death of Latis and Palkia not looking like it's going to get any increased usage (Palkia was barely a check anyway). It also fares well against Solgaleo who can't really deal any significant damage to it (I'm assuming they don't run Zen Headbutt). Lunala being a special attacker is also a plus for Kyogre as it has great Special Defense. The only Pokemon with a good amount of usage switching into Kyogre safely is Primal Groudon. Apart from that, it looks like the big whale goes back to its routine of switch in, kill something, switch out. Lord have mercy when Kyogre is the one with the weather up against PDon...

Kartana sucks. It doesn't belong in Ubers.

Looking like P-Ogre is going to get a big boost this gen with the death of Latis and Palkia not looking like it's going to get any increased usage (Palkia was barely a check anyway). It also fares well against Solgaleo who can't really deal any significant damage to it (I'm assuming they don't run Zen Headbutt). Lunala being a special attacker is also a plus for Kyogre as it has great Special Defense. The only Pokemon with a good amount of usage switching into Kyogre safely is Primal Groudon. Apart from that, it looks like the big whale goes back to its routine of switch in, kill something, switch out. Lord have mercy when Kyogre is the one with the weather up against PDon...
If Solgaleo isn't using Zen Headbutt, it might well be using Wild Charge for Ho-oh, which it would definitely also use against Kyogre.

Last edited:
May I ask how mega salamence is in this meta since it did get the 10% aerilate nerf+mega speed buff?
What are your current opinions on it?

If Solgaleo isn't using Zen Headbutt, it might well be using Wild Charge for Ho-oh, which it would definitely also use against Kyogre.
I thought they'd have ran Stone Edge instead? I'm fairly certain Wild Charge won't OHKO Ho-Oh as it's too weak.

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
How does everyone think Pheromosa will fair? Most people in OU are assuming it's going to be banned so once it joins Ubers how well do you think it will do? I think with it's amazing speed, beast boost, and special attack, it will be a top notch Pokemon in the tier. Perhaps even S rank, but that might be a stretch.

How does everyone think Pheromosa will fair? Most people in OU are assuming it's going to be banned so once it joins Ubers how well do you think it will do? I think with it's amazing speed, beast boost, and special attack, it will be a top notch Pokemon in the tier. Perhaps even S rank, but that might be a stretch.
Oh hell no, it's just a worse Deo-A. And it's 137 attack stats is garbage when you consider the bulk of uber mons and it doesn't have the strong coverage of the likes of Solgaleo or Xernes along with absolute 0 defensive utility. Will be a pathetic mon in ubers. Maybe it'll HJK your Arceus-Dark and U-Turn on your Mewtwo at times just for laughs.

One thing I like about Pheromosa is how well it can anti-lead Excadrill - Low Kick + Rapid Spin will take out the Exca and its SR without any extra damage caused to the team. Players should go to a spinblocker (either Gengar or Lunala, both mons being very good stops to Pheromosa, sadly) to keep SR up, but maybe just seeing Pheromosa in team preview can stop an Exca lead which can be taken advantage of. If there's no spinblocker, Excadrill can't lead vs it, and its 151 Speed means its rarely a bad idea to use turn 1.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The Mega changes for Speed work real nice for some of those mons. Mega Lucario gets over the 100 base Speed hump a lot easier and even gets the jump on Latis. Mega Gengar of course got a huge buff with that too.

Mega Diancie buffs, once released, are also appreciated. Power Gem with Diamond Storm granting a chance at +2 Defense.

Definitely going to dive into Ubers sometime this week. New box cover legendaries seem hella legit right now.

What made hypnogar so better now?Hypnosis is still 60% accuracy right and destiny bond is dead too.
Probably the fact that it gets its speed buff right off the bat, so it no longer has to run Protect to Mega Evolve safely. That and losing a bunch of answers (Latis and Darkrai are no longer relevant, Mega Mewtwo Y isn't available this gen).

Initially thought I'd pretty much only see mega gengar aka piece of annoying crap as the prime mega due to just how amazing its buff was. However, I'm seening LOTS of mega salamence (facade one). why is this? with the aerilate nerf and mega gengar buff, I would've thought mega salamence wouldn't be used much. I would obviously prefer there to be a good balance between as many megas as possible in UBERs and not just se mega gengar take the mega slot on every single team but yeeeehhh....

As for the other matter, is anyone seeing some usage in Kommo-o? I've been seeing it pop up here and there...and it's just not very good...

Now that the Eon twins are out, what's the next best offensive check to Primal Kyogre? Primal Groudon pretty much loses if the whale has the weather, and I don't think anyone will attempt to use Zekrom since getting it into play is already hard enough. Nayrz's Palkia set looks like a good option, but I have yet to see much other than that.

Zygarde-Complete is actually disgusting. It has the physical bulk to Coil up alongside Ekiller's SDs and take absolutely nothing from boosted Espeeds, where it can just Rest up and stall out Ekiller:

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Zygarde: 242-285 (38 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

If you Coil up while Ekiller sets up SDs:

+6 252+ Atk Life Orb Arceus Extreme Speed vs. +3 252 HP / 144+ Def Zygarde: 195-230 (30.6 - 36.1%) -- 1.2% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

It doesn't have to run Coil sets, either. RestTalk Thousand Arrows + Dragon Tail also makes for a great phazer as well, preventing Ekiller from setting up SDs as well as offensive Pdon.

They said stall was dead, but Zygarde might be just what's needed to make stall great again!

Though there's the problem of Mega Gengar, unfortunately. That monster singlehandedly shatters defensive teams.

They said stall was dead, but Zygarde might be just what's needed to make stall great again!

Though there's the problem of Mega Gengar, unfortunately. That monster singlehandedly shatters defensive teams.
Well there is Shed Shell... but lack of leftovers recovery on walls sucks. Plus MegaGar alone makes Chansey simply not viable and force you to go with Shed Shell Blissey.

Important Thing for Every Stall Players in this Gen :

Stall is Experiencing some Nightmares in this Generation. Calm Mind Lunala sets can Easily Break Stall teams. Lunala sets are only weak to Some mons like Arceus-Dark which are easily Avoidable. People usually run Arceus-Fairy , Magearna or Xerneas to kill Dark types which are troubling Lunala. So I suggest that People must not use Stall team without a Check for Lunala. There are some cores like Arceus-Dark + Solgaleo / Magearna which can Able to deal with this Lunala + FairyCeus / Xern / Magearna cores. This DarkCeus + Solgaleo/Magearna core can easily fit into a Stall in this Gen. I recently saw someone using DarkCeus + Solgaleo core in a Stall team , I really appreciate the guy who used that Core in a stall. Ho-Oh is still very Powerful Against Stall teams so Try to add a Ho-Oh check too.

Maybe Tapu Bulu(Scarfed?) could check Kyogre. I don't really see anything in this Gen's OU being that much of a World changer in Ubers( other than the Tapus, Magearna, and one or two UBs).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)