SM UU Simple Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Do people think UU will take Suicune back this generation, or is the power creep too high? Poor thing feels uncomfortable in RU right now. It misses home.
Probably, the tiers just need some time to start making sense. Suicune is such a solid Pokemon defensively that even with the power creep it'll stay. Even though some compare SuMo UU to ORAS OU Suicune was still good there so I have no doubt it'll come back

Do people think UU will take Suicune back this generation, or is the power creep too high? Poor thing feels uncomfortable in RU right now. It misses home.
crocune will always be an amazing late game sweeper. as far as other sets, that has yet to be determined but it's way too early to tell.

Which is considered a better mon so far Dnite or Mence ? I mean, if there was a viability list who would be ranked higher ?

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I couldn't find it in the Resource Thread. Is there a new IRC chan (if that's still a thing, I'm not sure lol) or something else outside PS!?
Hey Ernie. A lot of our IRC-esque convos happen on Discord now, IRC is fairly dead. Here's a permanent invite link for everyone: https://discord.gg/M6eNZDj -- I'll add this link to the Resource Thread now.

Which is considered a better mon so far Dnite or Mence ? I mean, if there was a viability list who would be ranked higher ?
So, both play the same role but they have some differences. Salamence has Moxie, that pairs very well with Flynium-Z, as this item gives Salamence a nice way to defeat some of its checks, like Suicune, and after one kill (that isn't hard at all if you're using Salamence) you get an Attack boost. Dragonite is a bulkier Salamence with priority, as it has Multiscale and Extreme Speed. Overall, Dragonite is better, but both are probably being banned soon.

esche

Frust kommt auf, denn der Bus kommt nicht
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Since the missing Mega Evolutions are actually implemented in the game (Battle Tree, Battle Royal NPCs), I can imagine they will be distributed at a later point via QR Code Scan, Event Codes or Online Competitions, so I wouldn't give up hope as of yet. But as it stands there aren't any signs of them being distributed any time soon...

Last edited:
Is there any way to counter Porygon-Z?
Very few. The counters are Toxic Blissey, Clear Smog Gastrodon, and Clear Smog Amoonguss at full. However, Gatrodon is completely unviable and the other two are easy to wear down. Imo, the best way to play around P-Z is doing double switches and wearing it down even when it setup'd, then you kill it with priority.

esche

Frust kommt auf, denn der Bus kommt nicht
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
This isn't as easy as it sounds but try to avoid giving it set-up opportunities. Playing against scary set-up sweepers such as P-Z always comes with mapping a game plan from the very beginning of the match. At the very least try to damage it enough on the turn it sets up, so that you can revenge kill it with a Scarfer afterwards (Krookodile, Flygon (meh) for example). On bulkier builds I recommend phazing support, Roar and Whirlwind from the likes of Swampert and SpDef Hippowdon can help dealing with it, make sure to keep them healthy throughout the match (again, easier said than done with so many threats but you get the point). It will only be able to set up once, use that to your advantage!

Edit: I mainly accounted for the popular BoltBeam + Recover set, other variants are an issue indeed.

Last edited:
I hope you're all aware that the 'mons you mentioned are only checks to the most common Z-Conversion PZ set, which is the Electric PZ one (usually carrying Thunderbolt / Ice Beam / Recover / Conversion), but lose to any other variant. For example, double stab Psychic PZ run over all of them, including Blissey.

PZ has no reliable counter.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I mean, PZ is annoying to counter because you don't always know what set it is running, but in my experience it's actually not that bad to deal with. If you're playing offense, it's not hard to punish it when it sets up and to keep on the offensive pressure until you can revenge kill it with basically any Scarfer bar Diggersby (most Scarfers can't do much to it from full, but if you damage it as it sets up and prevent it from recovering, that's not so bad). If you're playing a bulkier team, there are a number of options that help, such as Quagsire, Blissey, Amoongus and Hippo (the latter of which doesn't even require max SDef to tank a +1 Ice Beam).

It's a very dangerous setup sweeper, and if you guess its set wrong it can be deadly - but it's not impossible to deal with.

Is a defensive Arcanine with Burn Up viable? Regular defensive Arcanine was good last gen, and now he gets a move that both gets rid of SR weakness and his poor defensive typing, leaving him with one with no weaknesses.

It uses up a moveslot, yes, but I'm exchange you get a 1-time nuke with great lasting support for the team on an already somewhat powerful defensive mon. Besides, Arcanine can make do with the remaining 3 slots fairly well packing Wisp, Morning Sun, and Espeed.

Accel

arise
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Is a defensive Arcanine with Burn Up viable? Regular defensive Arcanine was good last gen, and now he gets a move that both gets rid of SR weakness and his poor defensive typing, leaving him with one with no weaknesses.

It uses up a moveslot, yes, but I'm exchange you get a 1-time nuke with great lasting support for the team on an already somewhat powerful defensive mon. Besides, Arcanine can make do with the remaining 3 slots fairly well packing Wisp, Morning Sun, and Espeed.
Defensive Arcanine with Burn Up seems somewhat viable on paper, but in practice, it really isn't anything worth running. Like you said, you're left with 3 slots after using Burn Up, and the combination of WoW, Morning Sun, and Espeed encourages passive play from that point onward. For example, a smart opponent could decide to pivot into something with Substitute, which would leave you helpless against an inevitable sweep, even if Arcanine's Fire typing was removed following the use of a Burn Up. Keep in mind that Morning Sun only has 8 pp, so its recovery can be stalled out very easily, especially since Arcanine's natural bulk leaves a lot to be desired. I also wanted to point out that Arcanine's typing gets reverted back to Fire should you choose to switch back in after already switching out following an earlier Burn Up. Due to this, Arcanine still retains its SR weakness and is even more prone to being worn down in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)