SM UU Simple Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
When is the UU council going to look at Serperior because it is very broken at the moment?
Approximately once every week, each member of the council nominates elements of the metagame that they believe to be banworthy, and the council collectively votes on whether or not to ban each of these nominations. Nominations that receive a simple majority of "Ban" votes will be banned from the SM UU tier. This process will be repeated until UU is out of its beta stage, and by this time, everything that is potentially broken should be banned.

Please take the time to read our pinned forums such as this one: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/underused-tiering.3592197/ - lurking on our subforums will answer all of your questions regarding tiering.

This might be a bit early but how is the order of re-testing the banned pokemon going to be decided this generation? I remember in XY there was a lot of confusion amongst people as to why some perceived really broken mons were re-tested before perceived less broken mons and the order was never really clarified.

I haven't played compettitive in a solid minute, and I've never dwelved into the UU metagame, which I know is an entirely different beast. I was planning on making a team there revolving around crippling my opponent while I go bulky offensive.

Question is, how is Sticky Web in this tier? Assuming I can prevent my opponent from immediately removing it, is it viable (viable as in not too much work for little payoff), and if so, what are the prime setters?

Thinking of predicting and punishing those who try to remove it. I'm also taking Defiant users like Bisharp into account.

Question is, how is Sticky Web in this tier? Assuming I can prevent my opponent from immediately removing it, is it viable (viable as in not too much work for little payoff), and if so, what are the prime setters?
Thinking of predicting and punishing those who try to remove it. I'm also taking Defiant users like Bisharp into account.
Sticky web could work, with shucklesharp (shuckle + Bisharp) core. The problem is that most of the new slower pokemon are in fact too slow to take advantage of sticky web (want to outrun base 110s in sticky web (base 110 * 0.67). The problem is that hazard removal in UU got better due to latias, starmie, mew, tsareena, and scizor. Bisharp checks most of these, but scizor could be a problem if it runs superpower.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Expanding on Leo's point, ladder can take some time to update, depending on the queue of the Showdown staff. Expect this trend to continue.

Reactions: Ark
Does Flynium Z Acrobatics work like flying gem acrobatics? I looked into Sd scizor sets from previous gens and I want to know if it doesn't work before i start trying to play with it

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
It does not. While it boosts the damage from Acrobatics when it turns it into Supersonic Skystrike, you are still considered to be holding an item even after the Z crystal is used, so the base power of Acro remains 55.

It does not. While it boosts the damage from Acrobatics when it turns it into Supersonic Skystrike, you are still considered to be holding an item even after the Z crystal is used, so the base power of Acro remains 55.
Damn, that sucks. Oh well, thank's for the fast reply man

What factors go into deciding who is on council and for how long??

Factors such as being a 'good contributor to suspect threads' are subjective, so how does the current council actually evaluate the quality of a player and justify their role as council?

sam-testings

What a beautiful face, I have found in this place

Factors such as being a 'good contributor to suspect threads' are subjective, so how does the current council actually evaluate the quality of a player and justify their role as council?
Its not only those who contribute a lot, but those who have shown that they can consistently do well in larger tournaments such as UUPL, UU Open etc etc. And good contributor to suspect threads isnt that subjective, there are definitly going to be users that stand out over others.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮

Taken straight from Hikari's OP:

"These spots are filled by people with good contributions to recent suspect test discussions, a high level of general activity, and good playing ability."

What does good contribution to a suspect test mean? Valid discussion that focuses on sound argumentation and an intersubjective understanding of how we do things, from our policies to our methods. It also means you're consistently engaged, finding opportunities to inform others, and being approachable for newer users to come ask questions. An example of a fantastic contributor and council member is Hogg. All of his posts are clear, concise, and demonstrate a sound knowledge and "feel" for the UU metagame.

A high level of general activity is obvious. Being available to users. Being available to staff members. Consistently interacting with the masses. Helping develop new players. These are some of the things (potential) council members do to show us that they're serious.

Good playing means just that. How far they get in official tournaments (UU open, UU majors, UUPL), how the top players gauge their playing ability, etc. It all equates to a neat little perspective on how the user's skills compliment the rest of the council.

I hope this answered your question.

Last edited:
Taken straight from Hikari's OP:

"These spots are filled by people with good contributions to recent suspect test discussions, a high level of general activity, and good playing ability."

What does good contribution to a suspect test mean? Valid discussion that focuses on sound argumentation and an intersubjective understanding of how we do things, from our policies to our methods. It also means you're consistently engaged, finding opportunities to inform others, and being approachable for newer users to come ask questions. An example of a fantastic contributor and council member is Hogg. All of his posts are clear, concise, and demonstrate a sound knowledge and "feel" for the UU metagame.

A high level of general activity is obvious. Being available to users. Being available to staff members. Consistently interacting with the masses. Helping develop new players. These are some of the things (potential) council members do to show us that they're serious.

Good playing means just that. How far they get in official tournaments (UU open, UU majors, UUPL), how the top players gauge their playing ability, etc. It all equates to a neat little perspective on how the user's skills compliment the rest of the council.

I hope this answered your question.

Thank you for the detailed response, it addresses most of the things I was curious about. However, I was thinking, does high-ladder play also equate to a level of skill deemed acceptable for council? For example, if I play on the ladder consistently well (like top 10), but had no tournament presence, will that still be considered in evaluating a player's' skill? Or should someone seeking council have a presence in both tournaments and the ladder?

Last edited:
Does high-ladder play also equate to a level of skill deemed acceptable for council? For example, if I played on the ladder but and consistently well (like top 10), but had no tournament presence, will that still be considered in evaluating a player's' skill? Or should someone seeking council have a presence in both tournaments and the ladder?
It's not that black and white. Hitting a certain ladder target or making it to a certain round in a tournament doesn't necessarily grant anyone a spot on the council, nor does it necessarily make that person an effective member, either. To be honest, King UU's post was spot on in terms of what's being looked for in a council member. And while you might think that using a model citizen and longtime contributor like Hogg isn't fair to use as an example, keep in mind that I have been on council since we started using one in ORAS, too, and I don't have anywhere near the experience, suave or overall handsomeness that Hogg has.

It's very possible to be effective and useful as a member of council without having a huge list of posts or accomplishments backing you up. Just keep on keeping on, make sure your posts on forums are smart, thought through and productive, and know that if you'd make a good council member that it won't go unnoticed.

Last edited:

Accel

thanks for the memories
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Special one. Offensive Z-Move don't care about secondary effects, only the BP of the attack and if it's physical or special.
It actually targets the opponent's defense stat (aka physical defense), as it always has.

EDIT: My mistake, just tested with Hogg and Z-Psyshock does in fact target the opp's special defense. I'd calc'd earlier and thought the mechanic would work the same way as Psyshock regularly would.

Last edited:
What's the best way to counter Knock Off spam? I played X/Y and ORAS UU, and I remember Knock Off spam being extremely frustrating and difficult to deal with. The move is still very common in SM UU, and I can think of only a few ways to punish opponents who spam it:

• Pokemon holding a mega evolution or z-stone
  • Pokemon with the ability justified, e.g. Lucario - switching in and getting an attack boost
  • Acrobatics users, such as Crobat

That's all I can think of. Gastrodon gets sticky hold, but having a water immunity through storm drain is way too good to give up. Are there any other ways to punish Knock Off spam that I am forgetting? Or is this all we've got?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)