Smart Cars?

So I recently have come to the point in my life where I might consider purchasing a Smart Car.....

How do you folks feel about those cute as sin looking little cars?

If I do indeed get one, I am going to have to toughen it up a bit with so bohemian spice...and dirt.

Since petrol prices have gone through the roof of late, a smart car would be a smart choice seeing how they have good mpg scores.

Beware the fact you may look like a bit of an idiot however.

Since petrol prices have gone through the roof of late, a smart car would be a smart choice seeing how they have good mpg scores.

Beware the fact you may look like a bit of an idiot however.
That is what I am saying. I'd probably be rather ok not caring about what people think on the fact that I'd be saving tons on Gas.

still...they look way to adorable to be very masculine. I am still scheming on how to man it up a bit.

If I get the blue one...I could decorate it similar to a latios/shiny nidoking? :X

I'd totally go for the Chevy Volt, whenever it's set to come out.

40 miles with no gas, and no emissions sounds good. Then, while you drive it past that milestone the gas recharges the battery while driving, allowing 40 more miles once the battery is charged again. When not using ~40 miles a day, you can simply plug it into the wall outlet of your house, and get another gas-free day.

http://www.chevrolet.com/electriccar/

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I just don't understand why they have to look like motorized golf carts. I've concluded they're all designed by gay midgets.

I'd totally go for the Chevy Volt, whenever it's set to come out.

40 miles with no gas, and no emissions sounds good. Then, while you drive it past that milestone the gas recharges the battery while driving, allowing 40 more miles once the battery is charged again. When not using ~40 miles a day, you can simply plug it into the wall outlet of your house, and get another gas-free day.

http://www.chevrolet.com/electriccar/
when I know a price range, I might be interested in the beast.

As for now, I think the bubble golf-cart wins, at least for me, in terms of price.

That Chevy looks like it might be esspensive.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
You're on a budget, but still, the coolest alternative fuel on the market at the moment has to be the Tesla Roadster.

http://www.teslamotors.com/

Its 100% electric, and is still a great sports car. Bad news: $100K price tag, and a HUGE wait list to order it, since every car is hand-made if I recall correctly. But damn it is one sexy car.

http://mvbuckeye01.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/tesla-roadster.jpg

Also, maybe go with something like a Civic Hybrid? Its pretty cheap, and quite efficient. Smart cars are cool and all, but they still look gay, as DM said. I'd be more afraid of the safety than the look, or lack thereof. If you get into an accident with anything bigger than a mid-size sedan, you're boned. It may say it gets good ratings, but I can't feel safe in something thats 106.1 inches long, 61.4 inches wide, and 60.7 inches tall, or about the size of a go-kart. Hybrids are almost as efficient, and in my opinion, much safer.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
One thing I would suggest for cars being used in large cities is that mileage isnt necessarily the most important factor in determining how fuel efficient your car is as you will spend about half of your time idling.

Though tbh I dont really know if there is any difference between how much fuel different cars use while idling or not..

Have a nice day.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
One thing I would suggest for cars being used in large cities is that mileage isnt necessarily the most important factor in determining how fuel efficient your car is as you will spend about half of your time idling.

Though tbh I dont really know if there is any difference between how much fuel different cars use while idling or not..

Have a nice day.
A lot of times now they have the different MPGs for city and highway, and sometimes combined. Usually city is 5-6 MPG less than highway.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Yeah but that will be assuming you accellerate and brake a lot, rather than counting time spent stopped at lights.

I dunno maybe not, I'm unsure..

Have a nice day.

Nutral777, do you live in the US. Because outside of the US there are a shit ton of better car options than smart cars.

I just don't understand why they have to look like motorized golf carts. I've concluded they're all designed by gay midgets.
Hey...

Don't oppress my people.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
that still looks like its designed by a midget. that one just happened to be straight. and overcompensating for his tiny dick.

Get a Civic Hybrid. Srsly, they're not that expensive and they get 50-60 MPG depending on the model. Prius / Insight are also good and they pay for themselves. I drive a Civic Hybrid, my dad a Prius. They're both good, usable cars that kick ass at mileage.

All good points. Yes, I do live in the good ol' USA. :|

I'll be digging around for information more and more but I am not going to lie, I'd want to spend as little on gas as possible..but the thing that I dislike about Smart Cars is the fact that I can't carry more than 2 people.

I like transporting people so a Civic Hybrid might have to be me option...

Oh, please don't get me started on Smart Cars. They look as though they've been cobbled together in somebody's tool shed. They might have decent mileage and be pretty cheap to buy, but I've had a few friends who have owned smart cars, and it's been the second worst choice they've ever made (their first is dating that girl you know is a little out of your league, and finding her in bed with your brother...). They've told me that the build quality isn't the best, even in the sporty-looking roadster, and the ride in all models isn't as smooth as the civic hybrids.

Get a bicycle while you wait a few years (2 or 3), then you buy one of those nice hydrogen cars.

I'm planing on getting a Hydrogen motorcycle, just saw it perform live and well it gets the job done (considerably fast, no emissions, like 3 bucks to fill 'er up)

Thing is....I have a serious soft spot for Honda...My dad's honda civic is old as sin and has yet to fail us.

Civic Hybrid might be what's up...

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
buy a hybrid or something that works on hydrogen so we can fucking start quitting the oil economy and move on to the hydrogen economy before we realise credit crisis isn't the only issue

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I've been in a car accident before and I am sort of glad I wasn't driving a Smart at the time....

Getting a Smart Car would probably make people think you're desperate for a vehicle. The good thing is that it would be cheaper than getting a better car. I say go for it and purchase one.

Honestly, the smart cars suck. They get about the same milage as a yaris but a yaris can hold more people. Larger, holds more people/smaller, holds less people, needs premium gas and gets the same. Saddly, the good smart cars that they have over in Europe are not allowed over here in the US. Why? Oh cuz if you get hit in one you will get hurt more cuz they have less safty features. WHO CARES. I could buy an old Bug and that has less safty features then they do. Or, if i get hit by a truck what difference does it make if im in a "unsafe" smart car or my Cavalier.

I would look into a Yaris or a hybreed rather then a Smart car, they just dont impress me. Not to mention, they are expensive! Buying a Geo Storm is my answer. Small, good MPG and LOOKS AWSOME!!!!!

lol you just said a geo storm looks awesome. you should dig your eyes out with a spoon because you obviously don't deserve them.

as for the smart car i'd say get it for a weekday commuter and keep your old car for a weekend warrior or get a sweet ass ride for the weekends. its what i am doing. i drive a civic ex during the week and my STi on the weekends. i actually got passed by a smart car while doing 70mph on the freeway....

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
A Smart Car would be a sensible purchase due to relatively low insurance, good economy and easy parking. Since it only has 2 seats, you avoid being a taxi service for friends. Worry about image when you have the wealth to.

Whatever you buy, buy used, and ideally 3 years old. Lots of people should be selling their cars in the current economic environment. If you must buy new, wait until mid/late December and haggle hard for a bargain because dealers will be frantically trying to fill quotas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)