Smogon Doubles Ubers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

banner by xzern!​

Disclaimer: This is a thread to comment and discuss on the Smogon Doubles Ubers metagame. This metagame is not official and is thus to be considered an Other Metagame, only relevant to Smogon Doubles and reliant on main Smogon Doubles rules.

Smogon Doubles Ubers

The Smogon Doubles Ubers is a metagame where most Smogon Doubles bans are lifted and thus you can enjoy a more free environment. Feel free to discuss tactics, teams, Pokémon, and rules on this thread. This is also the place to post Smogon Doubles Ubers replays and to organise tournaments.

Smogon Doubles Ubers can be played on Pokémon Showdown on its ladder or via challenge. The active clauses are Sleep Clause, Species Clause, Moody Clause, OHKO Clause, and Endless Battle Clause; thus rules in place are the following:
Pokémon from all six generations that are not unreleased nor illegal and do not share Pokédex number are allowed.
All released abilities that are not Moody are allowed.
All released items are allowed.
All moves but Dark Void and OHKO moves are allowed.
Combinations of moves, abilities, and items that cause battles to be endless are banned.
Team Preview is present.
Two enemy Pokémon can't be put to sleep in purpose.

Sample Teams:
Aurarayquaza's Sun Team
Audiosurfer's Semi TR Team
Steeljackal<3's Tailwind Team

We have had experience with Ubers in the past. Without further ado, I'd like to propose the following topics: What teams do you use? What Ubers mons you find more underwhelming or better? Do you think that, given Dark Void is banned, Sleep Clause should be removed? What about Moody and OHKO clauses?

---

If you come here from Ubers Forum, read this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Honestly I think you're being far too hasty by asking those questions. Smogon doubles in 6th gen is an entirely new metagame since few if any uber players at all actually play the shit fest that is battle spot random and even then that isn't an accurate representation of a metagame at all since casuals, lack of sleep clause, among other things make it far different than anything we've experienced. Not to mention that as a recent singles to doubles player myself, it's safe to say that a lot of mons that might've been underwhelming in singles, are instead phenomenal in doubles because of these reasons i think what you want is pretty much just theorymonning at its finest. I think that unless we get a feel for the metagame, it's unwise to list any teams/cores/mons as broken/crap. Would I want to see uber doubles though? Most certainly, things like unnerve mewtwo, telepathy creation trio among other things seem really interesting to play with.

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
specs kyogre in a tailwind
gg
Hitmontop used Wide Guard!

Doubles Ubers is actually really cool, I've played a few games using doubles custom games before now.
A few thoughts:
Trick Room - TR is cool for a couple of reasons in ubers. The first is it's pretty easy to mask a TR team as bulky offense. This is because everything is in a similar speed tier. Pokemon such as Palkia and Dialga can easily carry an unexpected Trick Room and fit into a team that looks like a run of the mill offensive team. They then proceed to wreck face with insanely powerful special attack stats.
Arceus - Arceus is basically cress but on roids. Sure it has big attacking stats but why use them when you have such a great support movepool. Thunder Wave, WoW, Snarl, Icy Wind, Trick Room (to counter TR), Light Screen, Reflect, Rain Dance / Sunny Day / Hail / Sandstorm, Tailwind and, to top it all off, reliable recovery. BASED GOD.
Yveltal - I wish this things stats weren't so insane so that we could use it in the official metagame because it's really damn cool. Dark is a great offensive type and Yveltal's speed ensure it outpaces a large portion of the metagame. It also has great bulk and the ability to hit plenty of offensive Pokemon hard with foul play. Access to Taunt helps handle supporting Pokemon and stops any mindgames you may have to play if you chose to run Sucker Punch. A more specially orientated set can run Oblivion Wing to really increase burds bulk.
Aegislash - Aegislash becomes really hard to handle in Ubers Doubles. The combination of that typing and infinite Wide Guard means that it's really hard to kill as most of the moves that can hit it, aren't very effective. It puts a stop to Water Spout shenanigans from Kyogre variants or EQ spam from stuff like Groudon. King's Shield can also be cool to cripple physical attackers.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoublesubers-75954473
Replay vs Ash Borer, turns out specs ogre in Tailwind wasn't so great :^)
In all seriousness though, Specs ogre is insanely hard to switch into AND you need 2 things that can do it. Pressure helps stall out water spout but it is by no means a guaranteed solution. GG man, get rekt by my unintentional 252+ Spe Palkia.

Last edited:
I think it should be here instead of OM just due to it being so close to normal Dubs in terms of mons allowed (there's honestly only about 10 banned mons in Doubles lol).

imo sleep clause shouldn't exist in uber doubles

and the official name should be changed to "uber doubles"

Specs Reshiram in the sun wrecks with Heat Wave

Last edited by a moderator:
imo sleep clause shouldn't exist in uber doubles

and the official name should be changed to "uber doubles"
No Sleep clause... Are you kidding me?!? The Sleep Clause is there because sleep spam would otherwise be a really reliable way to shut down your opponent's entire team.

No Sleep clause... Are you kidding me?!? The Sleep Clause is there because sleep spam would otherwise be a really reliable way to shut down your opponent's entire team.
Lum Berry, Safeguard, Sleep Talk, Snore even... There's plenty of ways to play around Sleep, and it's not hard to slay something that you know has Sleep (Amoongus is probably the only thing "hard to kill")

Also, we will be testing Sleep Clause in regular Doubles soon enough, so there's that too.

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Played a couple more games of this recently and I have to say, with proper planning Kyogre isn't nearly as scary to face as you may imagine.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoublesubers-80191859
In this game vs kjnm you can clearly see how it's possible to contain it fairly easily through moves like Wide Guard and based Y god's LO Sucker Punch which did 75 percent damage (I forgot to go +atk too) KJ had a cool team though it might not have hurt to wang a few more ubers in :3 That said, Hitmontop did put in some good work. Aegislash proved itself to be a top tier Pokemon, it's bulk and access to Wide Guard really came in handy. After the match I realised I forgot to put any EVs in it which shows just how damn good it is.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoublesubers-80186914
In this game it was easier for me to get TR up, especially once the threat of kanga was gone. Xerneas would probably have been very difficult for me to have handled had TR not been up. It shows just how effective a scarf set would be at picking off certain threats.

I wonder if it would be possible to get a Power Herb Geomancy set to work. With good team support I'm sure it would be possible to tear through teams. Mega Khan + Xerneas can probably work quite well, maybe with something that can clean up fire type Pokemon.

Also, I think Kyogre would probably benefit more from an item such as an Assault Vest or Chesto Berry as being choice locked has often proven to be bad news for Kyogre.

Lum Berry, Safeguard, Sleep Talk, Snore even... There's plenty of ways to play around Sleep, and it's not hard to slay something that you know has Sleep (Amoongus is probably the only thing "hard to kill")

Also, we will be testing Sleep Clause in regular Doubles soon enough, so there's that too.
It all depends on if Sleep Clause includes Dark Void or not, I guess... Darkrai is fast, hits hard and hard to OHKO before it can put you to sleep ^^ . And outside of HitmonConk and their Mach Punches I do not really see a way of stopping it, especially not if it is a ScarfRai.
Edit: Except Primeape, Electivire, Magmortar, Noctowl and Honchcrow... is there anything half-decent immune to Dark Void?

Furthermore, Amoonguss already dismantles semistall even with Sleep Clause, so there's that too.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So, you guys may be wondering why there is a permanent redirect to this thread on the Ubers forum... Think of this as a sort of partnership between Smogon Doubles and Ubers, let's combine our knowledge, and explore this interesting metagame!

Anyways, I'm pretty interested in the potential of the auras.

Xerneas: While I do sorta want to try the Geomancy set, the real reason I''m curious about Xerneas is because of Fairy Aura. Mega Gardevoir could do a MASSIVE amount of damage with Hyper Voice! I also sorta want to try it with Mega Mawile too.

Yveltal: Oh man, not only does this mofo have a strong Sucker Punch, he could boost the sucker punches of threatening mons such as Mega Kangaskhan and Bisharp. Oblivion Wing sounds rad too, if Ubers doubles has the same sort of bulky offensive feel that regular doubles has. Something I forgot to mention: Yveltal also gets Taunt, which sounds great for shutting down Spore, and shutting down Trick Roomers not named Aromatisse

Last edited:
Heeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooooooooo?

Hello?

Make this metagame official. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Heeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooooooooo?

Hello?

Make this metagame official. Thank you for your attention to this matter.
I second this. I've been hoping for an ubers double metagame for a while now. I say we make a ladder, maybe have a couple promotion tourneys here and there, and make some analyses for pokemon in this metagame. It is of particular interest to me because I would like to transition into a VGC style format soon, but I Iove ubers too much to stop making it my primary focus. Making an official doubles uber metagame seems like the perfect way to bridge the gap.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm not the powers that be, but as a Doubles moderator I do not support the creation of an official Doubles Uber metagame until we reach a point where Doubles has a larger and far more competitive playerbase than it does now (lol have you seen the ladder).

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Doubles Ubers can't be official mainly because Doubles OU is nowhere near large enough for that. For now have fun with challenges :p

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
Perhaps some sort of mini tournament organisation is in order, it'd be really cool to have some integration between the Doubles players and the Ubers players. Hell, we could even do a Doubles players vs Ubers players tournament.

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
From playing a few games with some friends I can say that this is easily one of the funnest meta games that I've ever played. I used a number of teams, rain, sun, bad kid offense , but my favorite was probably the hail team I used. The team consisted of focus sash abomasnow, and mega Mewtwo y, similar the that of a 2010 vgc team. I also added arceus- ice for more ways to spam blizzard. The teams mains goal was obviously to spam blizzard as much as I could while avoiding other weathers and team formats which was done by adding some glue mons like conkeldurr and ludicolo, I don't have any replays of the team right now but I'll do my best to get some in the near future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)