Smogon Shoddy Server Statistics - December 2009

lol, I didn't think DSCress would be the most used set. It was the first Cress I started using (as soon as Cress was implemented, too, as I made the team beforehand so I can ladder with it the minute it was on and prove how absurd it is...). I've been using it with SubCMRaikou and Venusaur (might try subperior for the strength and bulk). I must say, it's deadly, especially with things blocking status from Chansey. I'm going to laugh to myself later, as I'm not even that experienced with UU and one or two people would watch my matches. I didn't know it would be used more than CMcress, though. I'm going to try that out next, as one swept me with a pseudohazer and status support...

Seriously, Cresselia is just too bulky. The DS version can easily provide a safe environment for things like Rhyperior, Raikou, and all it takes is something to get rid of pseudohazers and Spikes.

I agree, after a couple of testing with it in UU, it seriously dominates. Not even Registeel can stand a change against it. Your only hope against it is really a pHazer, though most of them in UU (Steelix, Drapion) have seriously poor sp.def. I find it to be BL, not OU since we all know how it is weak there.

I find it to be BL, not OU since we all know how it is weak there.
You should probably learn how tiering works before you comment on where is 'should' be.

And guys, Raikou and Froslass were 'broken' once upon a time yet they were voted UU in the recent testing period. Keep an open mind and give it more time, people have only just begun to adjust so obviously quite a few players won't have ways of dealing with it yet.

You guys have played for maybe three matches lol. Not to be a minimod but I think this discussion should be in the UU forum.

I've played about ten/twenty matches with it.

Also, Raikou and Froslass don't have Cresselia's beastly stats. If anything, people will have to take advantage of its typing which is quite difficult to do with its massive support movepool. Viable ways of dealing with it include Taunt, Dark/Ghost/Bug STAB (yes, STAB), and maybe Trick. There might be more, but how else can it be dealt with?

Also, I'll stop right there, as YTP is right, this belongs in the UU section.

Raikou is a 580 bst, cress is a 600 bst. Not a big difference.

Cress is the only 600 bst in uu though since shaymin is BL.

Yeah, but Cresselia still has one of the best mixed defense builds in the game. If you take the smaller of Physical Tankiness and Special Tankiness for all Pokémon, then ONLY Giratina (both Formes) surpasses Cresselia in that regard. That's just incredible.

You're right, it is hard to talk about new OU Pokemon when there aren't any. And there weren't any last month either. So maybe we should talk about stats?

You're right, it is hard to talk about new OU Pokemon when there aren't any. And there weren't any last month either. So maybe we should talk about stats?
Maybe talk about how there haven't been any new Pokes for a while. Is the metagame finally stabilizing (maybe even stagnating?), or is there still another Tentacruel waiting in the wings?

the ou metagame right now is definitely stabilizing in terms of pokémon, although some pokes are beginning to use different sets (i.e. choice scarf tyranitar to combat latias' brokenness). scizor is still used way too much, and there are still a bunch of awesome pokes with less than 10% usage (magnezone, machamp, kingdra, and suicune are the four most underused out of those imo). however, it will never stagnate as long as some creativity remains on the ladder (sadly, some days that seems debatable to me). at this time, I would like to bring attention to the one non-ou pokémon that I feel is the most deserving of ou status: abomasnow. seriously, people need to break out of the "hail stall is boring and not that great and all the teams are the same" state of mind. abomasnow can beat all bulky waters except for gyarados, can beat the broken latias if it lacks hp fire, can take out salamence/gliscor/dragonite/flygon with ice shard, and can leech seed+protect/substitute almost everything to create some real pain for your opponent. I know lady bug had a really good hail stall team that was quite successful, but there need to be more abomasnow users out there. its full potential in ou has not been explored at all. you don't need it to be a "true" hail team or a stall team, either!

Maybe if there's some poke that just happens to counter dragons, steels, and tyranitar. I'm not seeing anything.

You know, you've just intrigued me. Abomasnow does beat bulky waters and can add the weather damaging element to stall teams with few pokemon seen being immune to it. It even beats bulky waters. Abomasnow probably should make OU, but it needs some attention in order for that to happen. I might try something with it to see if it's worth a team.

I would like to bring attention to the one non-ou pokémon that I feel is the most deserving of ou status: abomasnow. seriously, people need to break out of the "hail stall is boring and not that great and all the teams are the same" state of mind. abomasnow can beat all bulky waters except for gyarados, can beat the broken latias if it lacks hp fire, can take out salamence/gliscor/dragonite/flygon with ice shard, and can leech seed+protect/substitute almost everything to create some real pain for your opponent. I know lady bug had a really good hail stall team that was quite successful, but there need to be more abomasnow users out there. its full potential in ou has not been explored at all. you don't need it to be a "true" hail team or a stall team, either!
I guess the main problems for Abomasnow are:
a) MASSIVE list of weaknesses (at least Celebi isn't SR weak and Fighting resist is really usefull). But if you need bulky waters counter - I don't think better one exists in OU (maybe Ludicolo can be a rival here).
b) "Hail only" mentality. People don't even consider it outside of Hail, which is pretty dissapointing, as I also see some potential in winter tree, especially on stall-like teams. Also STAB Ice Shard to fight dragons is really nice bonus to have for semi-stall or heavy stall teams. And it's hard to find usefull Ice Shard user, which is defensive or isn't UU (Mamoswine and Weavile for stall teams... yeah and Donphan is pretty outclassed Rapid Spinner). But I guess Abomasnow may rise, if Manaphy ends up in OU, as Abomasnow stops most sets cold (Signal Beam anyone ?)
c) Unfortunately SR weakness. SR is strong enough factor especially on something with mediocore statistics like Abomasnow to use it over Celebi or Shaymin expect for some small niche, which I mentioned.
d) It's the main problem - it counters ONLY bulky waters (however they're really popular, so it's worth a shot), and things he could check (dragons) is a problem, as he can't switch directly on any OU Dragon. Ok, he can also check bulky grass types like Celebi or Shaymin, but unfortunately they use these days HP Fire almost always, so winter tree doesn't stand a chance. I also must disagree with countering Latias - I'm not sure how Abomasnow can handle Draco Meteor from Latias anytime soon. Specs will slaughter him, Scarf also may deal quite heavy damage with Draco Meteor. Offensive Calm Mind also may give you few troubles. However, he can counter some versions, I admit it.

However it's interesting enough pokemon to think about using him. Maybe it's worth a shot to start thread in Stark about it ?

Abomasnow has good defense stats(almost equal of something like... Ampharos, which is somewhat bulky), and can be used to counter bulky waters like said before(Ludicolo and Lanturn are the others "bulky water counters").
It's too slow to use Swords Dance(even with Ice Shard... you know, OU has tons of Steel pokes... at least Weavile is speedy and has Low Kick, and Mamoswine gets a STAB Earthquake).
The Sub Seed is one of its best sets(since no grass poke likes to switch into Blizzards, so you're free to Leech Seed someone).. still, there's a huge competiotion with Breloom as a Leech Seeder( and we all know how Breloom is a cheap little bastard).
Specs and Band are meh.
Scarf is also one of the best sets it has(even if it lacks in power somewhat)
It can't use Synthesis effectively(lol Snow Warning) to make it a bulky grass poke.

Abomasnow is tricky to play with. That's probably why it is used only in Hail teams. He could do so many things, but it... can't at the same time...

| 3 | Tyranitar | 171305 | 20.88 |
| Latias | Move | Grass Knot | 10.4 |

gg Latias
I think I would rather carry hp:fighting for tyranitar. Even celebi has trouble 2HKOing tyranitar with grass knot. Most latias already carry surf which is SE against ttar anyway.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
If you want to beat Ttar running Hp fighting won't really help much. If you use Specs, or even life orb, and surf then you will almost always 2HKO Ttar on the switch. Hp fighting will never OHKO iirc. ScarfTar is the only set, as far as I know, that fully counters Latias and it has been increasing in popularity.

| Tyranitar | Item | Choice Scarf | 12.9 |

I did not expect a so low percentage of Tyranitars with this object =O ... Thank you for the statistics!

-------------------------

Grass Knot is probably more for Swampert than TTar; Surf handles most TTar easily.
I completely agree, regrettably for (my) Swampert ...

Wow, alot of Zapdos running these days.
Are you being sarcastic?

Anyway, today seems like the perfect day to make an abomasnow team since it's snowing down here, lol.

Oh, and lead Celebi is just amazing. Why is it so low in usage?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)