Smogon Shoddy Server Statistics - January 2009

Awesome work, Doug.

Jirachi hitting the #3 spot as a standard lead is great. Anti-leads ftw.

Interesting how Salamence is used more than Scizor in Unrated...

Thanks a lot Doug!

I´m happy to see the diversity that involves the new UU metagame. Altough it may probably get centralised eventually.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wtf is with the Deo-e leads in Ubers? They basically suck now...
The only reason I can think of is that many people are over preparing for Darkrai, and forgeting about Deo-e leads. TBH, it works decently if you have a reliable sleep asorber like Heracross. Also, Train man has been using a Lum berry Deo-e lead to a lot of success from what I have seen.

I really don't understand this. It just boggles my mind.

| 19 | Flygon | 39910 | 8.78 |
Flygon just escaped BL before the merge and hit OU. And now he's already outpacing many other long time OUs. That's some substantial growth. Barely top 50 to making top 20.

Latias will only encourage his growth with scarf U-turn / Outrage. I wonder if he'll make top 10.

I really don't understand this. It just boggles my mind.

Flygon just escaped BL before the merge and hit OU. And now he's already outpacing many other long time OUs. That's some substantial growth. Barely top 50 to making top 20.

Latias will only encourage his growth with scarf U-turn / Outrage. I wonder if he'll make top 10.
Tell me about it! It's phenomenal growth. It's funny to think that people were panicking about it being in UU.

Well, Kingdra had that kind of boost as well right after Platinum hit, so I think it's not THAT surprising in the end.

Wtf is with the Deo-e leads in Ubers? They basically suck now...

And I think we all need to point to panamaxis for all those frickin Metagross leads. I know I tried it out right after using him :D
That's the true that they suck right now. And most of them changes their Focus Sashes on Lum Berry, so I just use Draco Meteors and stronger Earthquakes on my Groudon/Dialga leads to kill them in one shot. And they still beat those poor Darkrais and MewTwos. I never was a fan of suicide leads.

But yeah, they still work if you have reliable status absorber/immunity like Primeape or Heracross.

And about that Kadabra in UU... it's that low, because Espeon has everything better then it with one small exception - Encore. And you really need balls to use Encore on something frail like this, which I guess discourage many people from using it. But yeah, I expected few more Haunters in UU, ScarfHaunter with Shadow Ball/Thunderbolt/HP Fighting/Destiny Bond is still more then solid revenge killer.

Oh yeah, and Flygon made top20, quite impressive ;).

That's the true that they suck right now. And most of them changes their Focus Sashes on Lum Berry, so I just use Draco Meteors and stronger Earthquakes on my Groudon/Dialga leads to kill them in one shot. And they still beat those poor Darkrais and MewTwos. I never was a fan of suicide leads.

But yeah, they still work if you have reliable status absorber/immunity like Primeape or Heracross.

And about that Kadabra in UU... it's that low, because Espeon has everything better then it with one small exception - Encore. And you really need balls to use Encore on something frail like this, which I guess discourage many people from using it. But yeah, I expected few more Haunters in UU, ScarfHaunter with Shadow Ball/Thunderbolt/HP Fighting/Destiny Bond is still more then solid revenge killer.

Oh yeah, and Flygon made top20, quite impressive ;).
Yeah, I'm surprised about how low Haunter was, because that actually isn't almost completely overshadowed by something, like Kadabra is. I'd also be interested to see where the NFEs would've ranked, if they weren't NFEs. As in, they had exactly the same stats, but just were fully evolved. Is their status as an NFE hindering them, or is it just making them more popular?

Take Rhydon and Golem. Rhydon is better in nearly every way, but it still fails to triple Golem's usage.

Yeah, I'm surprised about how low Haunter was, because that actually isn't almost completely overshadowed by something, like Kadabra is.
Haunter is almost completely overshadowed by Mismagius in UU. The 20 extra special sttack doesn't count for much when you can't boost it, 100 base speed is a very common speed tier that you really don't want to fall below as a sweeper, and the extra resists that Poison gives are almost worthless with those shitty 45 / 45 / 60 defenses. At least Mismagius can set up and take the odd hit or two, particularly on the special side. Oh, and Hypnosis is now only 60% accurate.

The lack of Haunter usage is no mystery to me.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I hope you realize that Magneton can run a +SpA nature due to base 70 speed, therefore having more SpA than Magnezone. ThugJustThug <3
My point was that the steels in UU are much more hard to KO with special attacks (particularly Electric ones) than those in OU. Registeel/Steelix or Skarmory/Scizor/Bronzong?

Magnezone is obviously being used for the #1 Pokemon Scizor.

Flygon wasn't BL only because of Garchomp, now it has a 120 BP STAB attack too.

Thanks Doug these stats are great! Amazing work.

You know it would be pretty cool, now that we have so much great data, if someone or a few people started a sort of editor's column, where they could write about changes in the metagame that month. This thread doesn't serve that purpose really, as it consists almost entirely of one-liners about random observations - which is perfectly fine, I just feel we need a place for more in-depth discussion.

I just think it would be awesome for a group of people in Smogon to take things to the next level. The potential that can come out of seriously analyzing these statistics (as well as statistics over the last few months to show change) is monumental. Of course, this would require a ton of work and effort, and it's unlikely something like this would ever happen.

But picture for a second a regular thread in Stark where everyone flocks to to read about the latest developments in the metagame as analyzed by a group of well respected individuals. Readers would then respond with thoughtfully and promote interesting discussion. I realize this kind of already happens in Stark, as every so often you get a thread or two like this, but I think it should definitely assume a more official and regular role.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm shocked Kyogres usage has dropped two percent since last time, and I'm amazed that Dialga is finally getting some love. Garchomp is also finally getting some love.

I love the new Ubers. <3

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Thanks Doug these stats are great! Amazing work.

You know it would be pretty cool, now that we have so much great data, if someone or a few people started a sort of editor's column, where they could write about changes in the metagame that month. This thread doesn't serve that purpose really, as it consists almost entirely of one-liners about random observations - which is perfectly fine, I just feel we need a place for more in-depth discussion.

I just think it would be awesome for a group of people in Smogon to take things to the next level. The potential that can come out of seriously analyzing these statistics (as well as statistics over the last few months to show change) is monumental. Of course, this would require a ton of work and effort, and it's unlikely something like this would ever happen.

But picture for a second a regular thread in Stark where everyone flocks to to read about the latest developments in the metagame as analyzed by a group of well respected individuals. Readers would then respond with thoughtfully and promote interesting discussion. I realize this kind of already happens in Stark, as every so often you get a thread or two like this, but I think it should definitely assume a more official and regular role.
We have an entire forum in C&C for exactly this purpose: Metagame Analysis Forum. But, it has fizzled over the past few months, due to lack of participation and interest.

Code:
| Scizor | 1. Salamence | 41503 | 34.89 | 1 | 26.13 | 1 | 0 |
| Scizor | 2. Heatran | 33695   | 28.33 | 2 | 21.55 | 2 | 0 |
| Scizor | 3. Gyarados | 27466  | 23.09 | 3 | 19.17 | 3 | 0 |
| Scizor | 4. Metagross | 23700 | 19.93 | 4 | 17.00 | 4 | 0 |
| Scizor | 5. Infernape | 22656 | 19.05 | 5 | 16.49 | 5 | 0 |
| Scizor | 6. Tyranitar | 21127 | 17.76 | 6 | 16.18 | 6 | 0 |
ahahaha I don't think this is a good thing but I really don't know at this point.

Slowbro is slowly creeping up in usage ^_^ It's at #61 on standard now which is awesomely cool.

Awesome work on the teammates part. Fun to see things like Tentacruel's stats, Forretress best partner as Blissey, or Heatran and Scizor in every pokes top ten. It seems as though there is only one solid defensive/stall team with variations, but offensive teams have a lot more versatility and choice of usable pokemon.

I didn't notice Flygon at #19 at first. It also has that coolness as the lesser used dragon in its favor.

Salamence is used on 26.13% of Standard teams, and 30.05% of Suspect teams. Kingdra usage also has a higher percentage on suspect. Flygon doesn't though. The double/triple dragon strategies are insane, I think it will be even worse on Suspect with the more offensive Latios.

Uber Analysis (Part 2)

First Post:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1762059&postcount=14

There were significantly more uber battles this month than last month. Quite a few new players started playing - and this is undoubtedly responsible for some of the shifts in the statistics (although the degree can certainly be called into question). Unfortunately, I was absent for about half the month, but I'll try my best to interpret these stats regardless.

On the whole, the metagame has further decentralized this month. Yet again, one more pokemon is included in the top 75% of usages. Delving more in-depth into each ranking's comparative stance to last month, however, reveals a few interesting micro-trends. For your benefit, I'll scale this month's usages to last month's.

Rank - December - January* - Percent Change
*scaled down to actual usage*~.5485

1).......3668..........3562.5.......-2.9%
2).......3353..........2902.1......-13.5%
3).......2818..........2744.1.......-2.7%
4).......2539..........2587.8.......+1.9%
5).......2449..........2575.2.......+5.2%
6).......2372..........2573.5.......+8.5%
7).......1942..........2166.6......+11.6%
8).......1926..........1540.7......-20.0%
9).......1534..........1465.0.......-4.5%
10).....1499..........1402.0.......-6.5%
11).....1316..........1232.5.......-6.3%
12).....1303..........1104.1......-15.3%
13).....1233..........1164.5.......-5.6%
14)......936...........1038.3......+10.9%
15)......822............922.6......+12.2%
16)......745............727.3.......-2.4%
17)......658............677.9.......+3.0%
18)......596............676.8......+13.6%
19)......526............629.1......+19.6%
--- OU cut-off point --- (December)
20)......472............564.4......+19.6% (not a typo)
--- OU cut-off point --- (January)
21)......467............478.3.......+2.4%
22)......433............476.6......+10.1%
23)......412............409.7.......-0.6%
24)......399............401.0.......+0.5%
25)......391............378.5.......-3.2%

Just a quick browse at these statistics, however, immediately reveals that the bulk of decentralization as it effects lower number ranked pokemon is a result of #8 on. The top spots also underwent decentralization, but usage was distributed amongst themselves, the top 7 (formerly the top 6). Compared to the rest of the metagame, the top 7 as a whole are roughly as diverse as they were previously. From a relative standpoint, the #1 pokemon has "pulled away" from 2-7. It still lost usage to the others, but it lost considerably less.

More to come. I'm posting these numbers immediately "just in case". I don't want to redo all these calculations.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Wow what a climb by Salamence; it lost out to Scizor by fewer than 200 battles! Oh, and protip: Infernape OHKOes the entire top 10 list besides Gyarados.

Anyway, thanks a bunch doug, you're the best ^__^
unless you run thunderpunch

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Dialga is #2 in Ubers. Unbelievable. And Mewtwo is finally becoming a popular Uber lead. It's nice to see that people are realising that it can beat both Deoxys-E and Darkrai leads.

Great work Doug.

Very very nice work Doug you've outdone yourself again.

Just one question how do the percents work?.
1 | Scizor | 118945 | 26.17
2| Salamence | 118769 | 26.13 |
3 Heatran | 97949 | 21.55
4 | Gyarados | 87146 | 19.17
5| Metagross | 77275 | 17.00

if you add up 17.00, 19.17, 21.55, 26.13 and 26.17 you get 110.02 and thats one the top 5 Pokemon!

That's saying the percentage of teams that have that Pokemon, not it's percentage relative to every pokemon out there (can't do that because there are 12 pokemon per battle). So in 26.7% of battles, you face will have a Scizor in it.

Adding up all the Rotom-x numbers, he has 55476 uses. This puts him right up between Celebi and Jirachi, effectively making him number 14 while 14-25 get bumped back one number in standings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)