Smogon Shoddy Server Statistics - November 2009

Based solely on this month's statistics, where is the actual cut-off between UU and NU?

I'm a bit worried that Magneton might fall back into NU. Espeon might drop down too, probably because a lot of people are using Alakazam instead of Espeon. And Snover might be UU come January, if it can maintain it's usage.

DD Ttar can crush the metagame beneath its feet. I recently started using one and it seemed like no one had any counter but Scizor (I took care of those with a Scizor with 12 Speed EVs and the fact that a +2 Bullet Punch from it 2HKOes.) ScarfTran, another popular counter, is wrecked by Latias. I love how Blissey stay in and poison it while I DD. SD Heracross ruins stall. With Guts activated and +2 all members of stall are 2HKOed. ipl, beware!

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Venusaur has by no means reached the #1 spot simply because of its ability to somehow replace Roserade, and people seem not to be giving him the credit it deserves at all... but oh well I think this is no place for this kind of discussion.
On another none I sincerely expected a higher usage of Snovers, due to the amount of Hail teams. Maybe that's because this style is somewhat new to the tier though.
As always, thanks for the statistics Doug.

Venusaur has by no means reached the #1 spot simply because of its ability to somehow replace Roserade, and people seem not to be giving him the credit it deserves at all... but oh well I think this is no place for this kind of discussion.
On another none I sincerely expected a higher usage of Snovers, due to the amount of Hail teams. Maybe that's because this style is somewhat new to the tier though.
As always, thanks for the statistics Doug.
Yeah, Venusaur is awesome Pokemon in UU, but Roserade's promotion to OU must be slightly responsible for this usage increase.

However, even when Roserade was in the tier, Venusaur was still used a fair amount.

But the same thing happened with Roserade when Shaymin got banned. And perhaps, if Venusaur ever gets banned, or becomes OU, something like Sceptile or Vileplume may see a usage increase.

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Indeed Roserade's rise to OU has helped Venusaur a lot, but the fact he can run mixed sets, an SD set and counter Raikou among other things, when added up, contributed a lot.

I find it interesting how a variety of Grass-types have come to #1 on the UU ladder. In OU, there are what, 3 Grass-types? It is considered a very poor attacking type, while having numerous common weaknesses. Yet in UU, it is a beloved type. First Shaymin, then when it gets banned Roserade has a time to shine. Then Roserade makes OU and Venusaur makes #1. It is quite obvious that the Grass-type has finally become a valued asset.

I am also very happy that Dragonite has made #25 in OU!!! It is now ahead of Kingdra, and trailing closely behind Flygon. Oh my! I am fairly surprised Salamence is back at #2, yet not surprised Gyarados is down to #6. Gyarados just gets walled too often in my opinion, forcing you to switch out, just racking up Stealth Rock damage. While it is a deadly sweeper, the huge surge in Rotom-A means its counter is everywhere.

One reason Grass types are frequently #1 on the UU ladder is because they're part of the very valuable and efficient Fire-Water-Grass combo that many players want in their UU teams.

I am really interested by the trends of different pokes, and I might try to make trend graphs of the different usage %s of different pokes over the last few months similar to shoddybattle's trend grapher. If anyone else is interested in seeing these graphs then I can post it :)

Nice Job Doug, as always.

I have a feeling Jirachi is going to come at the top 5.

I see alot of stuff that Jirachi can pull off.

One reason Grass types are frequently #1 on the UU ladder is because they're part of the very valuable and efficient Fire-Water-Grass combo that many players want in their UU teams.
This. They're also probably the best support type with moves like Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, Leech Seed, and Aromatherapy.

Based solely on this month's statistics, where is the actual cut-off between UU and NU?

I'm a bit worried that Magneton might fall back into NU. Espeon might drop down too, probably because a lot of people are using Alakazam instead of Espeon. And Snover might be UU come January, if it can maintain it's usage.
The current cutoff is just above Snover, with Regirock being decently far above it.

Espeon, Rotom, and Magneton are all currently in UU based on this month's usage. Espeon and Rotom probably have to do with Alakazam and Froslass' entry into the tier. Magneton usage falling is odd, but perhaps Steel trapping is less necessary when you have things like Honch and Gallade to blow through them.

Hmm, Gliscor at the #12 lead kind of shocks me, been seeing them everywhere lately. Jirachi and Tyranitar rising doesn't surprise me at all though.

Thanks Doug!

Then wouldn't Fire and Water types be equally as high? I have to agree with Thund91, they are great supporters to every team, and are the base of all sunny day teams. Also, SD Venusaur + Power Whip is a beast.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
| 3 | Mewtwo | 9863 | 36.37
This is really high for Mewtwo, beating the DPP Dragons. And it's not like #1 and #2 slots are going to be given up (Groudon probably will not drop thanks to the massive support it gives to Ho-oh).

Then wouldn't Fire and Water types be equally as high? I have to agree with Thund91, they are great supporters to every team, and are the base of all sunny day teams. Also, SD Venusaur + Power Whip is a beast.
It's pretty slim pickings for grass types in UU(Venusaur, Sceptile, Tangrowth and Torterra, really), and other types are represented decently(Arcanine #2, Milotic #12, Blaziken #18, Azumarill #21, Slowbro #22, Moltres #23, Feraligatr #24, Blastoise #25). 3 Fire types, 5 water types, and 1 grass type in the top 25. If people are going for the grass-fire-water combo, its obvious that they are using Venusaur as their grass type and any combination of fires/waters, as there is a greater quality/selection.

It's pretty slim pickings for grass types in UU(Venusaur, Sceptile, Tangrowth and Torterra, really), and other types are represented decently(Arcanine #2, Milotic #12, Blaziken #18, Azumarill #21, Slowbro #22, Moltres #23, Feraligatr #24, Blastoise #25). 3 Fire types, 5 water types, and 1 grass type in the top 25. If people are going for the grass-fire-water combo, its obvious that they are using Venusaur as their grass type and any combination of fires/waters, as there is a greater quality/selection.

u missed Sceptile at 19

Yeah, Venusaur fits well on many UU teams because it can fulfill the support role (Sleep Powder, Leech Seed) or offensive role (SD). Its bulky too and has nice typing.

Tangrowth is really only seen on Sunny Day teams, where it has the best chance to sweep. Sceptile and Torterra have been overshadowed a bit, Sceptile is still a powerful Special sweeper and Torterra is still a great tank especially in the UU environment.

Yeah, Venusaur fits well on many UU teams because it can fulfill the support role (Sleep Powder, Leech Seed) or offensive role (SD). Its bulky too and has nice typing.

Tangrowth is really only seen on Sunny Day teams, where it has the best chance to sweep. Sceptile and Torterra have been overshadowed a bit, Sceptile is still a powerful Special sweeper and Torterra is still a great tank especially in the UU environment.

eh... sceptile is rarely sleeping on the special side since its main move lowers its SpAtt -2. THey usually hit and run with specs. The sweeping one usually has SD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)