Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

RottenInfernape

I COULD BE BANNED!
can we have an option that allows us to watch new threads AND messages in forums? Like make the options check-boxed so that it's multiple choice. I think this could be useful for anyone (like me) who wants to catch up with things. Then the "Don't send notifications" option could be used as a seperate option or completely negates the other two.

Hi, I did a lot of breeding a Showdown battling during Gen VI and to a break from it until now. I'm interested in getting back in a participating in some Smogon tournaments, and I've got a few questions.

1. Do all Smogon tournaments take place on Showdown? I looked through a few and found some replays in Showdown, but I couldn't find it explicitly stated anywhere.

2. Since it looks like at least some Smogon tournaments take place in Showdown, is the main point of actually breeding Pokemon in-game for use in official Nintendo events?

3. I've been looking through the OU resources/cores/sample teams threads and they've been really helpful. Any other recommendations for getting adjusted to the current meta?

Thanks!

Edit: Also, from what I can tell, the OU meta doesn't necessarily go by what is or is "supposed to be" in SW/SH. For example, I'm seeing a lot of Clefables with Soft-boiled which is an egg move *joke snare* that it should not be able to obtain in SW/SH. IS this observation correct?

Last edited:

Kalalokki

summertime madness
is a member of the Site Staffis a Top Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Live Chat Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Social Media Head
Hi, I did a lot of breeding a Showdown battling during Gen VI and to a break from it until now. I'm interested in getting back in a participating in some Smogon tournaments, and I've got a few questions.

1. Do all Smogon tournaments take place on Showdown? I looked through a few and found some replays in Showdown, but I couldn't find it explicitly stated anywhere.

2. Since it looks like at least some Smogon tournaments take place in Showdown, is the main point of actually breeding Pokemon in-game for use in official Nintendo events?

3. I've been looking through the OU resources/cores/sample teams threads and they've been really helpful. Any other recommendations for getting adjusted to the current meta?

Thanks!

Edit: Also, from what I can tell, the OU meta doesn't necessarily go by what is or is "supposed to be" in SW/SH. For example, I'm seeing a lot of Clefables with Soft-boiled which is an egg move *joke snare* that it should not be able to obtain in SW/SH. IS this observation correct?
1. Yes, beside some few VGC and BSS ones that might get hosted but none in Smogon formats
2. Or just playing online on the cart ladder. Some just collect competitive mons too, especially shinies
3. Probably just hitting up the ladder on Showdown
4. It's not an egg move, it's a tutor move from FRLG/E in Gen 3. Even if it's not available in SWSH, or otherwise very obscure to get, it really doesn't matter for the sake of our legality, as long as it's able to be transferred up and that it technically exist. Also explains why stuff like Wish Chansey is allowed, even though it's a very rare event move also from Gen 3.

1. Yes, beside some few VGC and BSS ones that might get hosted but none in Smogon formats
2. Or just playing online on the cart ladder. Some just collect competitive mons too, especially shinies
3. Probably just hitting up the ladder on Showdown
4. It's not an egg move, it's a tutor move from FRLG/E in Gen 3. Even if it's not available in SWSH, or otherwise very obscure to get, it really doesn't matter for the sake of our legality, as long as it's able to be transferred up and that it technically exist. Also explains why stuff like Wish Chansey is allowed, even though it's a very rare event move also from Gen 3.
Thanks so much for the quick, concise response! That was very helpful.

Reactions: gum
Is there a place I can point out a problem I see in a pokemon summary and/or suggest an improvement?

I've seen an oversight that if fixed would just straight up improve one and I don't exactly know where to go

Reactions: gum

RottenInfernape

I COULD BE BANNED!
Hey, I would like to suggest an option that allows you to paste a link or URL that you could use as your avatar. Let's say instead of having to download a file of an image just to use it as your avatar, you could simply copy the address of an image so that you could upload it without worries. I think this could be very useful and save some time. Thanks!

Hey Everyone I need to know if the thread to make the name change in Pokémon Showdown is the same from Nicknames to smogon or, failing that, what requirements I have to acquire for it. I have the My Discord with the Nick from sawamura and as you can see here in Smogon Same. Please, I need help with this. I am somewhat lost with the information. The "sawamura" user hasn't been seen in a long time and he also has no Ladder Games.
And is Great Beatiful Use just "sawamura"

Light Sanctity

Truth only exists for those who cling to it
Hey Everyone I need to know if the thread to make the name change in Pokémon Showdown is the same from Nicknames to smogon or, failing that, what requirements I have to acquire for it. I have the My Discord with the Nick from sawamura and as you can see here in Smogon Same. Please, I need help with this. I am somewhat lost with the information. The "sawamura" user hasn't been seen in a long time and he also has no Ladder Games.
Hi! Maybe this https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/new-new-name-and-profile-change-requests-read-the-op.3609246/ could help sorry if it isn’t.

Kalalokki

summertime madness
is a member of the Site Staffis a Top Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Live Chat Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Social Media Head
You usually need global voice or or badges to request an inactive name

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 2)