Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Thanks - can someone who is certain, preferably a mod, confirm this for me please? I'm moderating things outside Smogon but we ban people who are permabanned on Smogon so knowing this is important for us - thanks.
It's mostly a habit of doing it show if someone is banned vs permabanned, as there's no other specific way it's displayed. You can prob come across older examples where this wasn't the case, but for most newer bans it's usually the case. If it's about questions about potential cross-punishments, one's always free to reach out to a member of SS and we'll give more details if possible.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
It's mostly a habit of doing it show if someone is banned vs permabanned, as there's no other specific way it's displayed. You can prob come across older examples where this wasn't the case, but for most newer bans it's usually the case. If it's about questions about potential cross-punishments, one's always free to reach out to a member of SS and we'll give more details if possible.
Thanks - since I want to be sure, I asking SS is fine. Is there a list of SS somewhere?

I forgot the password of my main account on showdown and I would like to know where I should go to get my main showdown accounts password reset, thanks in advance!

hey quick question, does uploading a thread With a quick description of certain pokemon and how to use them count as an "analysis" because i made one about the regenerator ability and i wanna check if i can or not, also can you link the place where i can upload it?

Tea Guzzler

forever searching for a 10p freddo
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
hey quick question, does uploading a thread With a quick description of certain pokemon and how to use them count as an "analysis" because i made one about the regenerator ability and i wanna check if i can or not, also can you link the place where i can upload it?
analyses are things with dedicated information on the smogon pokedex, like this one. these need to follow specific formatting, be about pokemon themselves, and authorised by tier leaders. an analysis just about regenerator doesn't fit this criteria, so wouldn't be considered an analsysis.

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
What you made would be more like a Flying Press article if you were to want to get it uploaded to Smogon in an official capacity. But as the reply to your thread says you could just have it as a post in the metagame discussion thread.

Hello, I was looking for the place to post discussions/suggestions about Smogon tiers/metagames. I only found a place in the forums for Pokémon Showdown specific suggestions, but they explicitly say that's not the place for suggestions related to metagames. So where is it then?

My suggestion/discussion in question was about splitting Ubers into two tiers, something I wanted to go into more detail so I don't think a simple comment is enough for that.

Thank you!

Hello, I was looking for the place to post discussions/suggestions about Smogon tiers/metagames. I only found a place in the forums for Pokémon Showdown specific suggestions, but they explicitly say that's not the place for suggestions related to metagames. So where is it then?

My suggestion/discussion in question was about splitting Ubers into two tiers, something I wanted to go into more detail so I don't think a simple comment is enough for that.

Thank you!
this should explain everything I believe, https://pokemonshowdown.com/pages/formatsuggestions

Thank you!
To expand on Briewear's post, I might start these discussions in a Discord channel as opposed to making a thread.

Ubers is actually already "sort of" split into two tiers, those being Ubers and Anything Goes. Anything Goes hasn't always existed, but I cannot remember for the life of me when it was introduced (it was, IIRC, whenever Mega Rayquaza was born). It is a bit unlikely that there will be further changes to the Ubers format, mostly because it's specifically meant to be the tier with the least adjustments and least influence from an outside perspective, only really removing threats that warp the format to an outrageous degree. If you think a mon or mons in current Ubers is indeed doing that, the typical suggestion would be moving it to AG. And on the other side (the "low power" side of Ubers), you'd be looking to suggest a suspect test in OU for the Pokemon in question.

Happy to talk about it further, just don't want you to put a ton of effort into a post that may be brushed aside!

-"Man of the People" teal6

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor

Thank you!
To expand on Briewear's post, I might start these discussions in a Discord channel as opposed to making a thread.

Ubers is actually already "sort of" split into two tiers, those being Ubers and Anything Goes. Anything Goes hasn't always existed, but I cannot remember for the life of me when it was introduced (it was, IIRC, whenever Mega Rayquaza was born). It is a bit unlikely that there will be further changes to the Ubers format, mostly because it's specifically meant to be the tier with the least adjustments and least influence from an outside perspective, only really removing threats that warp the format to an outrageous degree. If you think a mon or mons in current Ubers is indeed doing that, the typical suggestion would be moving it to AG. And on the other side (the "low power" side of Ubers), you'd be looking to suggest a suspect test in OU for the Pokemon in question.

Happy to talk about it further, just don't want you to put a ton of effort into a post that may be brushed aside!

-"Man of the People" teal6
also worth noting if you are thinking something along the lines of an 'ubers uu' (where ubers mons w/ over some amount of usage are banned) this comes up semi-often and isn't really a thing (my understanding is that at the moment there aren't enough ubers mons for this to make sense, and there's also some unclarity on whether e.g. ferrothorn would be allowed, despite it's usage being over any reasonable cutoff)

2 things: 1) can I talk about old formats as a q and a

And 2) if I can do that, how does oneself replicate the Jump Magikarp format? Really enjoyed its span - and it was my favorite way to play competitive pokemon.

* By replicate, I mean if I was to do a /buildformat. Like what would I have to do?

Last edited:
Why does /offertie require you have played the game for 100 turns? I hate losing ladder points because I have to leave and I really doubt my opponent is going to be generous

Who is John and why do some tournaments ban him

I read that no johns means no excuses, but isn't that every tournament? How is no johns enforced? Do I get infracted if I complain about a scald burn in a no johns tournament? Why wouldn't every tournament be no johns by default?

Also, what does no johns have to do with the day of the week? (ex. https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/spl-format-discussion.3710661/post-9399457) Does John refuse to play on Wednesday?

Isaiah

Here today, gone tomorrow
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
Who is John and why do some tournaments ban him

I read that no johns means no excuses, but isn't that every tournament? How is no johns enforced? Do I get infracted if I complain about a scald burn in a no johns tournament? Why wouldn't every tournament be no johns by default?

Also, what does no johns have to do with the day of the week? (ex. https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/spl-format-discussion.3710661/post-9399457) Does John refuse to play on Wednesday?
In that context, "No Johns" just means you only get 3 days (Sunday - Wednesday) to schedule + play your game instead of the standard full week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 5)