Smogon Simple Questions/Suggestions

When i started competitive, I started with the Random Battles format on Pokemon Showdown to get used to pokemon sets and the basics. Pick a metagame/tier you're interested in, find teams from the RMT forums (some tier forums have some sample teams for new users to try out too!) and practice!
Thank you!!!!!

Okay, get ready for the dumbest question ever.

What the hell IS the tier list right now?

Before you link me to Smogon's Pokédex, let me clarify, because Smogon's Dex doesn't actually help. I mean to ask what exactly is banned and what isn't. It's been a long time since I've done competitive battling (I've been on hiatus), and I just want to know what I can and can't use in any given tier.

Smogon's Pokédex says that I can use Kangaskhan in NU, but its Mega can only be used in Ubers. Smogon's Pokédex says that Ninetales is NU, but its ability can only be used in OU. Smogon's Pokédex mentions nothing on the legality of Baton Pass Chains, Swagger, etc.

And it seems like every tier has plenty of such weird complex miscellaneous exceptions that, as far as I can tell, are not documented anywhere. The only way to know about them is to have been playing consistently since the start of Gen 6 and just keeping an eye on it as it happens. This makes it difficult for new or returning players, so if someone could please clarify this for me, that'd be great.

Xylen

Perfect Harmony.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Before you link me to Smogon's Pokédex, let me clarify, because Smogon's Dex doesn't actually help. I mean to ask what exactly is banned and what isn't. It's been a long time since I've done competitive battling (I've been on hiatus), and I just want to know what I can and can't use in any given tier.

Smogon's Pokédex says that I can use Kangaskhan in NU, but its Mega can only be used in Ubers. Smogon's Pokédex says that Ninetales is NU, but its ability can only be used in OU. Smogon's Pokédex mentions nothing on the legality of Baton Pass Chains, Swagger, etc.

And it seems like every tier has plenty of such weird complex miscellaneous exceptions that, as far as I can tell, are not documented anywhere. The only way to know about them is to have been playing consistently since the start of Gen 6 and just keeping an eye on it as it happens. This makes it difficult for new or returning players, so if someone could please clarify this for me, that'd be great.
Its mega stone is banned from OU, so you cant use it in NU. However you can use Kanga in NU, just not with the mega stone. Same with Ninetails here, but with the ability Drought banned here. Each forums have some sort of banlist listed in one of the threads, so you can use that as a reference next time.

Banlists, including any complex bans or bans on ability and items, can all be found here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/smogon-official-tier-lists.3513352/

hello, veteran player since blue and red. shiny/event collector since Diamond/Pearl. used to be on and trade on serebii forums under poke310 when diamond and pearl came out.I have boxes full of shinies and events in Diamond that unfortunately i cant trade because i dont have/beaten Black/White. im just trying to trade with people as i have Omega Ruby with shinies and few events. i cant seem to post on this website where i want make a thread to trade. thanks

hello, veteran player since blue and red. shiny/event collector since Diamond/Pearl. used to be on and trade on serebii forums under poke310 when diamond and pearl came out.I have boxes full of shinies and events in Diamond that unfortunately i cant trade because i dont have/beaten Black/White. im just trying to trade with people as i have Omega Ruby with shinies and few events. i cant seem to post on this website where i want make a thread to trade. thanks
I am not sure if I understood your question correctly, but if you want to make a trade thread you should head over to the Wifi sub-forum

I am not sure if I understood your question correctly, but if you want to make a trade thread you should head over to the Wifi sub-forum
sorry haha, i mean i cant post on the wifi. doesnt give me an option to post just says that i cant post..

sorry haha, i mean i cant post on the wifi. doesnt give me an option to post just says that i cant post..
Okay, I haven't really heard of that issue before, so I don't think I can help you here. Consulting a moderator for help would probably be the best solution.

Xylen

Perfect Harmony.
hmm weird. went back and it has the post thread option. thanks tho man. appreciate the reply back
Assuming you were trying to post a thread in Wifi without any post, the Wifi only allows you to post a thread once you have a post somewhere.

Not exactly new, but who came up with the idea for an overview of each Poke in the Strategy Pokedex? It's a really cool idea, and I'm just wondering.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not exactly new, but who came up with the idea for an overview of each Poke in the Strategy Pokedex? It's a really cool idea, and I'm just wondering.
If you look through the Preliminary Dex subforum (where all threads of analyses are compiled) you'll notice every analysis has an overview. The problem was that the onsite Strategy Dex wouldn't show them, however it was recently updated to include the overviews (as well as checks and counters) of every Pokemon with a written analysis!

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
it's been around since i before joined in 2007, so i assume it's just been around since the dex was created.

I've been Googling this for awhile but can't find a solid conclusion. I've been wanting to use a competitive Wigglytuff, however, I cannot decide on a decent moveset. So far I've decided on:
Flamethrower
Disable
Dazzling Gleam
Heal Bell
Well, now the question. Is this a good moveset? And if it is bad, what can I change? (You can ask for Nature and stats if needed.) Oh. This is my first day on Smogon.
GO EASY ON ME!

Xylen

Perfect Harmony.
How do you post a gif as your avatar? I've always wanted a dancing Lilligant as mine ^_^ but I can't seem to figure it out
The way you put a gif as your avi is the same way you put a normal picture as your avi. Just make sure the file is a gif, and it should work.

Ok general question leggo. Um I have 8 sets of reqs...hao 2 convert to TC badge plz tech. Do I have to PM a mod or something?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ok general question leggo. Um I have 8 sets of reqs...hao 2 convert to TC badge plz tech. Do I have to PM a mod or something?
Yes, PM any of the tier leaders from which you participated in the suspect tests for with links to your votes and posts. Make sure that you have voted in the policy review and met the subjective requirements for the TC badge, which is basically just voicing your opinion and thoughts in a logical manner in the suspect discussion threads.

Would you mind giving me a list of the tier leaders? :x Also should I send them links to all my votes/posts? Or only the tiers that they lead? Sorry for being so silly N_N

Would you mind giving me a list of the tier leaders? :x Also should I send them links to all my votes/posts? Or only the tiers that they lead? Sorry for being so silly N_N
when you qualified for TC and voted for that suspect, the OP will tell you whom to PM (usually it's the OP himself). You have to PM all your votes regardless of tier to the same guy when you qualify. just as a reference (this is the people who post the suspect thread, so depending on what you voted for last, that's the way you go)

ou - haunter aim McMeghan Tesung
uu - Sam Hikari
ru - Molk atomicllamas
nu - Raseri Zebraiken
lc - macle Rowan
dubs - Stratos Arcticblast
ubers - Sweep Fireburn

just see who's posted the thread and you should be good

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you post a gif as your avatar? I've always wanted a dancing Lilligant as mine ^_^ but I can't seem to figure it out
Make sure you save the image as a .gif file firstly. Also, make sure the .gif fits the recommended upload size, or it won't work. You should be able to easily do this under your profile settings.

Is there anyway of getting back into a conversation that I didn't start? Accidentally closed it and then realised that I forgot to make a note of some info in it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)