Smogon Simple Questions/Suggestions

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
How does the game decide which egg moves are inherited when there are more than four egg moves in play? For instance, the father has 2 egg moves to transfer, and the mother has 3; since the descendant can only have 4 moves, how does the game decide which one stays out?
According to Bulbapedia, the mother's egg moves take priority. So it would inherit the 3 from the mother and 1 from the father. The same section lists out the inheritance priorities for other situations as well. As for the one from the father, I would think that priority is given from top to bottom (i.e. when you look at the summary, the move on the very top has the most priority). So the second egg move that the father knows wouldn't get passed down.

edit: I should clarify that the category the move falls under (egg move, level up, TM) takes priority over the placement on the summary page.

Last edited:
According to Bulbapedia, the mother's egg moves take priority. So it would inherit the 3 from the mother and 1 from the father. The same section lists out the inheritance priorities for other situations as well. As for the one from the father, I would think that priority is given from top to bottom (i.e. when you look at the summary, the move on the very top has the most priority). So the second egg move that the father knows wouldn't get passed down.

edit: I should clarify that the category the move falls under (egg move, level up, TM) takes priority over the placement on the summary page.
Thanks a lot.

I read here that Excadrill was a good companion to Mega Charizard X, and that both of them would work very well on a sand team, provided that Excadrill had Swords Dance and Rapid Spin. Can Life Orb Alakazam fit in such a team? I mean, not necessarily a sand team, whatever that is, but with those two pokémon and something else. I was thinking about adding Serperior, as well.

Last edited:
Hi, ive noticed some people have little pokemon sprites in their signatures, can someone link me to the place to get the sprites?
pldh.net has sprites that can easily be inserted into signatures and posts, you can basically search [insert pokemon name] sprites and it's the first or second result on google.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I've always wondered this. What is the difference between an Admin and an SMod?
Short answer: Admins are site leaders, Super Mods are more section leaders.

Long answer: As the site leaders Admins are the ones that bring senior staff/smogmog/is discussions to a conclusion, lead discussions on site policy, and have the authority to make on the spot executive decisions should waiting for discussions to take place not be pertinent. Super Mods are denoted as such for their expansive contributions to the site and have been deemed necessary to include and take part in the discussions that affect the site as a whole. They may lead discussions dealing with site policy and can be and usually are responsible for major and vital sections of the site. The promotion to Admin is one where we deem that user worthy of the authority to bring to a close those discussions and have relative autonomy over the section of the site that they are responsible for, more so than as a Super Mod.

The line between the two is definitely thinner now since we've switched from VB to XF. Super Mods now have the ability to edit user profiles and the forums themselves, which was a major point to advancing users to Admin on VB, but the level of policy/leadership as I described above was still deemed important enough to not merge the two positions into one, as of yet anyway. It may be one day we do away with the Super Mod position and simply call all senior staff "Admins," but that's been on the backburner since our switch to XF and hasn't moved up the list of things to discuss much if at all since.

Is the question of what counts as "region" for the Masuda Method, language chosen for the game or region of the 3DS, already solved?

And does Shiny Charm affect the chances of getting a shiny by breeding? Because I couldn't care less about catching a shiny in the wild.

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's not entirely known but research is being done in regards to it: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/shiny-charm-and-masuda-method.3496464/ so... until they reach the final pledge hatch amount it's not entirely guaranteed. From the looks of it, yes?

Also not 100% on that but to be safest if it has a different tag on it like GER/JAP etc then it's definitely from another region. If it doesn't then I don't think it counts.

QueBien

Nomad, vagabond, call me what you will
Is the question of what counts as "region" for the Masuda Method, language chosen for the game or region of the 3DS, already solved?

And does Shiny Charm affect the chances of getting a shiny by breeding? Because I couldn't care less about catching a shiny in the wild.
I'm not exactly sure, but I think the Masuda Method is based on region this generation.
As far as I know, the Shiny Charm does in fact affect breeding.

Edit: ninja'd

It's not entirely known but research is being done in regards to it: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/shiny-charm-and-masuda-method.3496464/ so... until they reach the final pledge hatch amount it's not entirely guaranteed. From the looks of it, yes?

Also not 100% on that but to be safest if it has a different tag on it like GER/JAP etc then it's definitely from another region. If it doesn't then I don't think it counts.
Are you certain if it's tagged it counts for the Masuda Method as a different region? Because I am sure it is tagged when you pick a different language, so, in that case, I'm going to pick Spanish when I start my game in ORAS.

EDIT: Solved. Thanks shiny finder for the confirmation!

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler

To confirm, the Masuda Method is based on the language tag (i.e. the language chosen for your game). So different language tags = international parents, allowing the method to work. The region of the 3DS doesn't influence the Masuda Method. :)

What tier would a Power Trick Shuckle be in? I know its a gimmicky set that doesn't always work, but I want to use one (somewhat) competitively. (also please tell me if I'm posting this in the wrong thread, thank you!)

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What tier would a Power Trick Shuckle be in? I know its a gimmicky set that doesn't always work, but I want to use one (somewhat) competitively. (also please tell me if I'm posting this in the wrong thread, thank you!)
Power Trick Shuckle isn't in a different tier from just regular Shuckle, which is in UU.

Do Experience All, Experience O-Power, and Lucky Egg stack? Because when I want to level up a pokémon, I am giving them a lucky egg but not putting them in the first slot, so I don't know if the lucky egg has any effect in that case.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)