Smogon Simple Questions/Suggestions

Perry

slayer
is a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey, I just registered for the forums after finding a nice project I would like to contribute to! Is there a "Presentation Thread" where new member can introduce themselves?

Thanks!
There used to be one here but now that thread is, as you can see, closed. So I do not think that there's an active thread for that :/

Sobi

Banned deucer.
I have a gif less than 100 KB, more than 200 by 200 pixels, and it still says that the file is too large when I attempt to make it my avatar. Is there a reason for this?
I'm going to assume your file contains "~c200.gif" in it, right? For some reason these files don't seem to work, I think it's because of where they come from (Photobucket), but I'm not too sure. I am certain that any file <100kb that doesn't contain "~c200.gif" should work.
Hey, I just registered for the forums after finding a nice project I would like to contribute to! Is there a "Presentation Thread" where new member can introduce themselves?

Thanks!
As said by Mr. Perry, the Intro Hub was sadly closed down. However, don't worry about introducing yourself; find a place you feel most comfortable in, be it the Competitive Discussion sub-forum, the Congregation of the Masses sub-forum, etc, and just lurk. Look at what other people are doing, join in the conversations, and you'll be fine in no time! If you don't know where to start though, I suggest visiting Pokemon Showdown as most of the rooms there have sub-forums here where you can speak about stuff you like. If you have any questions, feel free to leave a message on my profile page.

Does Smogon balancing and tiering reflect the usefulness of Pokemon in-game where it isn't possible to ban things or simply use the best version of it in-game?

For example Charizard Y has easy access to Stabs and can learn any of its coverage moves via TM. Charizard X requires breeding to learn Dragon Dance and Outrage, meaning you would need to both level up a secondary Dragon (who would already be leveled up...) and then level up the Charizard X egg once it learned the egg moves. So in looking at tiering, I'm having a hard time seeing how it could be translated to in-game performance.

Sobi

Banned deucer.
Does Smogon balancing and tiering reflect the usefulness of Pokemon in-game where it isn't possible to ban things or simply use the best version of it in-game?

For example Charizard Y has easy access to Stabs and can learn any of its coverage moves via TM. Charizard X requires breeding to learn Dragon Dance and Outrage, meaning you would need to both level up a secondary Dragon (who would already be leveled up...) and then level up the Charizard X egg once it learned the egg moves. So in looking at tiering, I'm having a hard time seeing how it could be translated to in-game performance.
Smogon tiering is purely based on how effective they are in competitive battling. In-game statistics and the like do not influence or play part in any tiering decisions.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Are you asking about the viability of Pokemon in the games during the story? If so you probably want the in-game tier lists:
The lists for other games can be found in he same place as the BW one (miscellaneous in-game articles on-site).

If you're talking about the viability of Pokemon in in-game battling such as Battle Spot, then you should look here for Battle Spot Singles, and here for the Maison (you'll want to ctrl+f a Pokemon's name to see if it's there).

Smogon's tiering for our metagames is based solely on how much something is used. For example, anything with less than 3.41% usage in OU is UU, those with less than 3.41% usage in UU is RU and so on. Things are banned from certain tiers because the leaders of the respective tier will discuss whether something is to strong / centralising for their tier, and then players earn the right to vote on whether it should stay or go. They do not care for difficulty-to-obtain in-game because a) it's played an a simulator (Pokemon Showdown) where you can get whatever you need with a few clicks, and b) even if people did need to actually get things to battle with, if it's good they'll get it, or else be left behind. For example, in our Battle Spot Singles viability rankings, we don't care that Suicune is hard to get, it's A+ material as a battler so it's ranked as such...

I'm going to assume your file contains "~c200.gif" in it, right? For some reason these files don't seem to work, I think it's because of where they come from (Photobucket), but I'm not too sure. I am certain that any file <100kb that doesn't contain "~c200.gif" should work.

As said by Mr. Perry, the Intro Hub was sadly closed down. However, don't worry about introducing yourself; find a place you feel most comfortable in, be it the Competitive Discussion sub-forum, the Congregation of the Masses sub-forum, etc, and just lurk. Look at what other people are doing, join in the conversations, and you'll be fine in no time! If you don't know where to start though, I suggest visiting Pokemon Showdown as most of the rooms there have sub-forums here where you can speak about stuff you like. If you have any questions, feel free to leave a message on my profile page.
Actually, no. They are optimized, though, so maybe that's it? It's under 50 kb...

Oh, and it's from a YT vid

Thanks a lot Sobi! By the way, sorry for the late reply, I have been out the last few days with a food poisoning! I've just finished my contribution to the project and will soon post it. It's about Dinosaur Type Pokemon. I hope you and everybody here will like it!

See ya!

Hoping someone can help. I'm trying to breed hidden power pokemon. It requires alot of IV checking. Most accurate way i've read was using rare candies to level 50 and using stat calc online but thats extremely time consuming when checking 10+ pokemon lol. Just wonder if anyone had a faster way of doing this to cut time. I only have 1 ds.

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hoping someone can help. I'm trying to breed hidden power pokemon. It requires alot of IV checking. Most accurate way i've read was using rare candies to level 50 and using stat calc online but thats extremely time consuming when checking 10+ pokemon lol. Just wonder if anyone had a faster way of doing this to cut time. I only have 1 ds.
You could get someone to check them using using KeySAV2 (go here and ask for an ESV check, they should give you the IVs of the Egg too), or you can hatch them and then go to the Battle Institute (Mauville City in ORAS, can't remember in XY) - it auto levels to Lv 50 so you don't have to waste time feeding each mon 40+ rare candies. Just use that in conjunction with the IV "Judge", he will tell you what's flawless, and then using the online IV checker you should be able to deduce which ones are 30 (whichever ones return 30-31 but the IV judge didn't mention).

You could get someone to check them using using KeySAV2 (go here and ask for an ESV check, they should give you the IVs of the Egg too), or you can hatch them and then go to the Battle Institute (Mauville City in ORAS, can't remember in XY) - it auto levels to Lv 50 so you don't have to waste time feeding each mon 40+ rare candies. Just use that in conjunction with the IV "Judge", he will tell you what's flawless, and then using the online IV checker you should be able to deduce which ones are 30 (whichever ones return 30-31 but the IV judge didn't mention).
Thank you for the reply and help.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What you should do is first breed for the perfect IVs of the Hidden Power spread, let's say you're doing Ice so you want the IV checking guy to tell you that HP, SpA, SpD, and Spe are perfect, you also generally want him to say their overall potential is relatively superior when doing so (this means that both Atk and Def are low). Then when you hatch something with outstanding potential and perfect stats in the ones you want, you know that either Atk or Def (or both) are high, and that you've probably inherited the 30 IV in one of them. You can take the hatchling(s) to the Hidden Power checker and see if it has the type you want, if it passes that then you go to the Battle Institute and save your game (so you can reset and leave the institute, otherwise you have to do 5 battles in a row). You then enter your Pokemon in a battle there and it will be instantly scaled to level 50 and you can check its stats in-battle. Confirm the IVs with an IV calculator (MetalKid's is my favourite) and you'll either see that your Pokemon has 31/30/x/31/31/31 (bad), or 31/x/30/31/31/31 (good). Keep doing this until you get the spread you want :)

Getting someone to check the IVs with KeySav can be great for you but tedious / annoying for the person helping you, so learning to check manually yourself with the info you're provided with in-game is a good thing.

Hi everyone!

Why did the 'intro hub' move to the closed forum? Will there be any possibility of a similar sub forum reappearing in the future?

Sobi

Banned deucer.
Hi everyone!

Why did the 'intro hub' move to the closed forum? Will there be any possibility of a similar sub forum reappearing in the future?
I spoke to Tennisace regarding this; this was her reply.
The best way for new users to show they are a "good presence" on a competitive Pokemon site should be by posting about competitive Pokemon in some fashion. Having a hugbox does nothing to improve the site or acclimate users to the culture of the actual content forums.

Furthermore, having a place which exists mostly for a user to be redirected is quite redundant; the forums are laid out in such a way where the names of almost every public forum are self explanatory. PS rooms also have descriptions.

Finally, giving out badges for literally greetbotting was one of the worst decisions made in a while, as it encouraged users to never actually leave the intro forum. Established users on Smogon by and large ignored the forum, meaning new users would be directing and giving advice to other new users.

Thank you for your concerns, but I do not see an Intro forum returning in its previous form any time soon.
I don't think it will be back for now, though in the future, it may, so we'll just have to wait, and see what happens.

I don't think it will be back for now, though in the future, it may, so we'll just have to wait, and see what happens.

Thanks for asking Tennisace that and giving me some clarification. The negative incentive to branch out to the real forums due to the idea of getting a badge is definitely concerning. Thanks again for the promp reply.

What you should do is first breed for the perfect IVs of the Hidden Power spread, let's say you're doing Ice so you want the IV checking guy to tell you that HP, SpA, SpD, and Spe are perfect, you also generally want him to say their overall potential is relatively superior when doing so (this means that both Atk and Def are low). Then when you hatch something with outstanding potential and perfect stats in the ones you want, you know that either Atk or Def (or both) are high, and that you've probably inherited the 30 IV in one of them. You can take the hatchling(s) to the Hidden Power checker and see if it has the type you want, if it passes that then you go to the Battle Institute and save your game (so you can reset and leave the institute, otherwise you have to do 5 battles in a row). You then enter your Pokemon in a battle there and it will be instantly scaled to level 50 and you can check its stats in-battle. Confirm the IVs with an IV calculator (MetalKid's is my favourite) and you'll either see that your Pokemon has 31/30/x/31/31/31 (bad), or 31/x/30/31/31/31 (good). Keep doing this until you get the spread you want :)

Getting someone to check the IVs with KeySav can be great for you but tedious / annoying for the person helping you, so learning to check manually yourself with the info you're provided with in-game is a good thing.
Thank you very much for the help :) I managed to breed what i wanted. Was helpful advice ^^

while trying to chance propic on smogon: "Your avatar's file size is too large. Please upload an avatar no bigger than 100 KB."
http://i.imgur.com/VxBHN5r.gif
File size: 94.47K, width: 200px, height: 200px, frames: 8, type: gif

I know this is a common bug as someone already told me, but it's really frustrating nonetheless

Last edited:
Can someone please help me? I saved a draft of a thread, but accidentally closed the window. Is there a way to get it back? I can't find it in my profile.

your only shot would be to try to create a thread again in the same subforum. if it's saved anywhere, it's there. make sure to get approval for the thread from the respective forum moderators first though if you haven't already.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)