Finals Smogon Snake Draft II - Finals [Won by the Shinto Ruin Serpents]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Standard Tournament Rules and Procedures:
On... Sportsmanship

Note the sportsmanship infraction may be used liberally, and any unsportsmanlike conduct on the forums, in #wcop / #pokemon / any of the semiofficial tier channels, or in opposing wcop team channels (I won't infract for you being a dick in your own wcop team channel unless the situation is so extreme I feel I absolutely have to make an exception (consider basically any masterclass interaction ever)), will be grounds for an infraction. We encourage you to play semi-aggressively, but don't be a masterclass.

~ Aldaron

On... Scheduling Matches

I'm sure plenty of you have come across coin flipping / who to activity drama while scheduling matches. I'm here to reduce the arbitrary element associated with some of these decisions. It is entirely your decision to adhere to these STRONG RECOMMENDATIONS, but note that if you choose not to, I'll most likely ignore any pleading from your end and default you to a coin flip, regardless of what you claim is your Discord or forum activity. By signing up for this tournament, you are agreeing to this condition, that adhering to what I outline will protect you from coinflips / activity and that not adhering to it will subject you to coinflips / activity regardless of your proposed justification.
YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR VM WALL IF YOU WISH TO PLAY IN THIS TOURNAMENT. THIS IS HOW ALL OFFICIAL SCHEDULING WILL BE HANDLED.

Once that round's thread is posted, you have up to 48 hours to contact your opponent ON HIS VM WALL and mention your timezone and exactly what dates, what time ranges you are available, and where you will battle. Note that the default accepted sim and server is the official server on Showdown. You must provide at least 3 different time ranges at least 48 hours from the timestamp of your message, with at least 2 that are 24-hours apart from each other. The minimum and maximum length for 1 time range is 30 minutes, and the minimum difference between the 3 required time ranges is 3 hours. If you give 3 time ranges that stick with this policy, you can give any additional time ranges at any time you please.

NOTE THAT THIS SCENARIO INVOLVES RESPONSE DYNAMICS; THERE IS SOMEONE WHO WILL CONTACT FIRST AND SOMEONE WHO RESPOND...THESE REQUIREMENTS ARE NOT FOR BOTH OF YOU TO ASSUME TO YOU CAN BE FIRST CONTACTS...WHOEVER CONTACTS FIRST IS THE FIRST, AND THE OTHER DEFAULTS TO THE RESPONDER. THIS SHOULD BE OBVIOUS BUT SOME OF YOU ARE DUMB.

Once your opponent has contacted you, you now have up until 72 hours after the round's thread has been posted (NOT after your opponent's message) to respond with times that are good for you. What this means is that if both of you spend the maximum time contacting and responding, you should have back and forth collaboration at a maximum of 72 hours after the round has been posted, with both parties given an additional 24 hours to prepare for the battle should it be scheduled as soon as required. If none of the opponent's proposed time ranges are good for you, you must respond with alternative time ranges.

The first opponent now has X hours to prepare for the battle (if the second opponent agreed to some time) or 24 hours to contact a TD if, for whatever reason, this second set of time ranges does not suit the first opponent. Note this should be an absolute last measure and that more often than not, the TDs will likely force one (or both) sides to sub out.

Once a time is agreed upon, please make a message on your opponent's vm wall between 10 minutes and 1 second before the agreed upon time and say you are ready to battle and then get to agreed upon location (regardless of whether or not your opponent sends you a response vm). Please protect yourself by making this message, as it makes decisions much easier. You will be required to be wait for your opponent for the duration of the time range.

If neither of you contact each other before 48 hours after the thread has been posted, you're both opening yourself up to a potential coin flip. If I look at the situation, I might just determine I'm going to sub both of you out, coin flip you, or whatever based on however I'm feeling at that moment. Don't leave yourself and your team vulnerable to this.

Just because at anytime one of the responders does not respond within the given range does not give you automatic activity win credentials. If they don't contact at all on your vm wall up until 48 hours before the end of the round (note, I'm not going to take Discord or sim messages as evidence due to how easily they can be doctored...so if you want to protect yourself, stick to the vm messages), then you obviously have activity win justification. Note to team captains, if one of your players does not contact all his opponents before 48 hours before the end of the round, I will FORCE a sub, no questions asked. You WILL contact your opponent in a timely manner. However, if they do contact you at all after the suggested response time and before 48 hours before the end of the round, you are required to respond before 24 hours before the end of the round with 2 1-hour time ranges at least 1 hour apart before the end of the round. The opponent, since he did not stick to the proposed response schedule, WILL BE REQUIRED TO PLAY AT ONE OF YOUR NEWLY SUGGESTED TIMES, so you have the advantage here. This obviously puts a bit of an emphasis on the last 48 hours of each round (as is standard operating procedure for most of our official team tournaments anyway), so I will try my best to keep the last 48 hours of the round as close to the majority of the weekend for as much of the world as I can.

If you follow all of these guidelines, you will a.) most likely get your match done with minimal issue or b.) protect yourself and your team from an undue coin flip or activity decision. Yes, I hate activity decisions in official tournaments. Yes, I will do my best to prevent activity decisions in the playoffs (the qualifying round is fair game however and I will have no problem issuing an activity call here), but don't push your luck.

Here is an example of how following this would work:

Round 1 thread is posted June 7, 2015 at 10:00PM. Its deadline is June 14, 2015 at 11:59PM. User A and User B are matched up. User A contacts User B on his vm wall on June 9, at 9:00 PM (47 hours after the thread was posted, so ok), and gives 4 time ranges: June 10, from 7:00-7:30 PM (22 hours after the timestamp of his message, which is only ok so long as at minimum 3 of the other proposed time ranges adhere to the requirements), June 11, from 9:00-9:30 PM (48 hours after the timestamp of his message, which is ok), June 12, from 6:00-6:30 PM (69 hours after timestamp of his message, so ok, but only 21 hours after the earliest time range that is 48 hours after the timestamp), and June 12, from 9:00-9:30 PM (72 hours after the timestamp, so ok, and 24 hours after a legal time range and 3 hours after another legal time range). The June 11 and both June 12 time ranges satisfy the requirements, so User A can propose his first June 10 time range as well. User B responds on June 10, at 8:00 PM (23 hours after User A contacted him, so ok), and picks June 11, at 9:00 PM to battle, which is ok because it is 24 hours after his own response.

You'll note I made most of my response ranges multiples of 24 hours, but also included 24 hours. This means I expect you to be able to check Smogon at least once a day. If that is not feasible, you put yourself at risk.

~ Aldaron

On "Self-KO Clause" and Ties:
Self-KO Clause is an antiquated concept that is not used in Smogon tournaments. The one exception to the rule is if the tournament is live (weekly Smogon Tour, Suspect Tours, etc.). For all standard tournaments here this rule does not exist. It Does Not Exist.

If both Pokemon faint simultaneously in DPP, ADV, GSC, or RBY, the game is ruled as a tie. Tied games do not count as played games in overall standings and will be expected to be replayed within the round's initial deadline. Similarly to this, tied games do not count towards the total number of games played in "best of X" series. In other words, if a tournament includes "Bo3" RBY, what is really being played is "first to two wins" RBY.

However, ties simply don't exist in later generations. The developers removed ties from BW and have not added them back since. There's a lot of inconsistency with the mechanics of their tiebreaking system but Smogon follows them to stay true to the cartridge. The main ones are listed below:

Note: The following list is for SM, XY, and BW, and not for DPP, ADV, GSC, or RBY

Self-KO Moves (Destiny Bond, Explosion, Final Gambit, etc.):
Attacking Pokemon Loses

Offensive Recoil (Life Orb; Double-Edge, Flare Blitz, etc.):
Attacking Pokemon Wins

Defensive Recoil (Rocky Helmet; Iron Barbs, Rough Skin):
Attacking Pokemon Wins (SM)
Attacking Pokemon Loses (XY and BW)

Passive Damage (Status, Weather, etc.):
Faster Pokemon Loses

Disconnections and Timer
For information on our disconnection and timer rules, refer to this thread.

Tiebreaks:
If teams are in a position to move on and are tied for wins in Stage 1, points and bd in Stage 2 or just tie in the final match in Stage 3, a tiebreak Best-of-3 series will be played to determine which team advances. The first match will be standard SM OU, with each of the teams in the tiebreak picking another tier to be played. This tier can be another SM OU, and multiple SM OU matches can be played. However, as every team should only have to aim to draft 1 player for every other tier, no other tier can be repeated.

For Stage 1, if a tiebreak occurs, the team that had more wins in the head-to-head matchups will pick second. If the teams were tied in head-to-head, strength of schedule is used to determine the higher seed instead.

For Stage 2, largely the same metrics are used as for stage 1. The first denominator to determine the higher seed will be Stage 2's head-to-head matchup. If this resulted in a tie, the number of total wins from Stage 1 will be used. Should this also be the same, strength of schedule in Stage 2 is used.

For Stage 3, the team with the higher ranking in Stage 2 will be the higher seed. If this was identical, the number of total wins in Stage 1 is used. If this also results in a tie, the Stage 2 head-to-head matchup will break the tie. In case this fails, strength of schedule will be the fallback.

If, during any stage, all parameters listed here are tied, we will publicly use the !pick command on the Smogtours server to determine the higher seed.

Substitutions:
During Stage 1, subsitutions are allowed during each phase, and a player getting subbed in has to play all the remaining opponents of the player he is replacing. A player that has been subbed out during a phase may not be subbed into any other slot. Multiple substitutions may occur in the same slot. Of course, Phase 2 may use a different lineup than Phase 1, and substitutes will be "reset", meaning everyone on the bench can be subbed in once again. For Stage 2 and 3, substitutions work like they do in SPL.

Substitutions will be not be allowed in tiebreak series unless the hosts mandate it. However, since we prioritise games being played, we will consider extension requests so long as they're reasonable. We will also be reluctant to give activity wins to those who are clearly fishing for them.

Simulator:
Pokémon Showdown is the main simulator for this tournament, and Smogtours is the main server. If both players agree and there is a valid reason that a match cannot be played on Smogtours, it may be played on the main server as well.

Matchup:

Shinto Ruin Serpents (6) vs (4) Lanakila Nagas

OU: Posho vs GaryTheGengar
OU: Leru vs Sacri'
OU: Ojama vs Updated Kanto
OU: RedEmption vs SoulWind
DOU: Biosci vs Ezrael
UU: Pak vs Kory2600
RU: Ajna vs Sam
NU: elodin vs Kushalos
LC: teal6 vs Heysup
Ubers: Paycard vs Sharow-san
Deadline will be November 4th, 10:00 PM EST.

Last edited:

Posho

local gaymer weeb
is a Tiering Contributoris the Smogon Tour Season 23 Championis a Past SCL Champion
I'm real glad I'm in my first team tour finals, feels great, though I cannot give myself credit at all I must say our team did wonders during the whole tour, and I must repay them.

Glad I can have another finals rematch with ben, let's give it our best and make it worthwhile :3

Mounts

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Hope the serpents take it, been the best team throughout for me so it’d be cool to see that topped off by the trophy at the end. That said, there’s players on both sides I like & would be happy to see with a trophy so may the best team win it!

OU: Posho vs craing ;_;

Good luck to both teams involved, very evenly matched!

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Good games to the Nagas. I can't help but feel disappointed in this result and angry in how it all transpired. Something something spirit of the competitor, I suppose.

The games in this series did not go how I envisioned them to. I can go through the whole "if X happened, then we would be better off..." bullshit, but I think that the community itself is trying to evolve past that mindset and it would be best if I did as an individual, too. Given that, congratulations to the Nagas for advancing to the finals! I hope that the Serpents win because I believe they are the better team; in fact, I think they have been the best team in the tournament thus far in terms of consistency. I wish my friends on the Serpents good luck.

To transition back to the end of our season, this loss upsets me more than any other past team tournament loss, including the infamous SPL 9 finish this past year. While that may sound like a negative, I actually do not see it as one personally. I think it simply shows how much this tournament and the team I was on meant to me and interested me; it shows how much I cared and wanted to win on the Leviathans this year. I can confidently say that playing on this team was among my best team tournament experiences on Smogon so far and I have been around for a while now (crazy how I am essentially a veteran now, especially when compared to a bunch of the newer guys on the Leviathans). Seeing so many newer players rise up to the occasion and outright dominate has been amazing. KW went 7-2, Eternally went 8-2, Lopunny Kicks went 7-3, Garay Oak went 6-4, and Hiye went 7-3 -- all of these guys have not been around the tournament community for more than a year or two and for most of them it was their first chance to consistently start, so great job to all of you! I hope to see so much more from all of you and the various other newer players on our team in the future.

Our team environment was as good as you could ask for. I believe I am friends with every single active person on our roster and I am glad that this is the case. Did we make mistakes? Could we have done better? Do I have regrets? Yes, yes, and yes. 100%. But I think part of the fact that I enjoyed this tournament more than most was that I was able to move past that to still enjoy what was going on and the fact that I was going through that grind with a lot of newer players who were all motivated to improve no matter what fuckery happened throughout. All things considered, the team that my managers drafted met all of my expectations in terms of how good we were as Pokemon players and how tight we were as a group. I would do this again in a heartbeat and I hope to play with a number of these guys in the future. Special thank you to Genesis7 and Evan. for doing a great job managing, but I will get back to that more in shoutouts later.

As for myself, I feel that the recent months have brought a bit of a new chapter in terms of who I am and what I want to do as a player. For the longest time, I was largely seen as an asset in terms of support; I was a classic tryhard: grinding out tests, discussing teams, and making sure everyone was ready to go in order to maximize my teams collective chances of winning. As this became more and more of what I was identified as, especially in team tournament settings, I felt like there was far less focus and care for my individual results. Being a so-called "top player" was an afterthought, if it was even a thought at all, and I felt like I fit into the mold of the slightly-above-average player quite well, consistently going neutral or a bit above. Ever since around WCOP time this year, I have tried to shift the focus more on my personal performance and perhaps changing my "legacy" to include more achievements involving my gameplay as opposed to just my abilities as a teammate. I want to be seen as someone in the conversation for being a "top player", especially in SM OU, SM NU, and BW OU. I feel like doing this will make me feel a bit better about being drafted super early/for large amounts in various tours, including this Snake and probably the upcoming SPL knowing my luck. I'll still always be a tryhard and always do whatever I can to help my team win, but I think that I am playing the game well and I hope to show that moving forward (FINCHTOUR26?). 5-5 record this Snake fucking sucked to be truthful, but I was a Stone Edge, decent roll, and insane paralysis string away from being 8-2, so I am content with how I played even if the result was far from ideal. Very much looking forward to what is to come in the next few months, hopefully I can prove my worth beyond being a top supporter.

As for the Leviathans, I am going to be writing some weird stream-of-consciousness type of "shoutouts" like KW did, but probs a bit longer because I'm me. Idk how much detail they will go into, but here goes. Genesis7 you did a great job drafting and helped out whenever possible in SM tiers despite your lack of experience, which I appreciated a ton. Keep doing what you do and good luck moving forward, I hope you get a shot in SPL because you hella deserve it. Evan. you were a bit more lax than Genesis, but you provided input whenever you could and you finally played a test game during the last week, so I guess that's something. We have been tight forever and I am glad that you had a bit of a last hurrah here. Hopefully we can stay in touch...if you're not too busy taking daddy Mahomes dick up the ass. robjr you're easily one of my favorite people to work with and I think you are ridiculously underrated as a player. I would take you in r2 again in a heartbeat and I cannot wait to team with you again someday soon. You are super chill, smart about more tiers than most give you credit for, helpful whenever possible, and really clutch down the stretch in just about every tournament you play. Keep up the great work and I cannot wait to see how you develop moving forward. Hiye quiet, but deadly. You are a fantastic pilot of some of my squads (probably better than I can dream to be) and I am glad we got to team again. I hope to see you in more big tournaments moving forward as watching you play is always a treat, good luck bro. MajorBowman shitty record and we both know you're capable of better, but you were SO much more than that and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise. Everyone has off tournaments and this was one for you, but you put in the effort and even tried to help us when you could. I loved you as a teammate and a chat presence. Hopefully we can work together again and achieve like you are known for in the future. Garay oak your playstyle is one of my favorite things. You have the ability to turn it up and be aggressive at any time, but you hardly rush things or "click" like a lot of newer players do. You have unlimited potential moving forward and I cannot wait to see it in tiers I understand far more than Ubers. You are a spectacular teammate, you always prepare thoroughly, and your attitude is great for someone who is still breaking into the upper levels of the tournament community. Despite unfortunate streaks, you still went positive and did everything we could have asked for. Amazing job this tournament and I hope we can team again! OP kept a bit to yourself, but that's ok. Clearly you are a capable player and a fun guy, so I hope you keep doing what you do best moving forward even if this was not your best showing results wise. Just how the cookie crumbles sometimes and I hope that you don't stop competing anytime soon friend. Lopunny Kicks oh my god you are something else. I absolutely adore your ability to make anything you feel can do well against the opponent work well and your consistent execution with these ideas throughout the season was outright amazing. I have never seen anything like this before and with your unique ways I feel that you have a great future ahead of you as you keep playing in the future. You were amazing to talk with, build with, test with, etc. I cannot wait to team with you again and I hope it happens very soon. You are super cool and please keep playing no matter how unfortunate your last game ended for ya. 7-3 is an amazing first Snake record and I think you are capable of even better once you hit your ceiling as a player. Eternally first off PSA TO ALL SPL MANAGERS IF YOU GET ME EARLY PLEASE TRY TO GET ETERNALLY FOR NU PLS PLS PLS. Second off, you were everything I could ask for in an NU player and then so much more. You tried ridiculously hard, you consistently asked for my input, and you used smart, consistent teams that for the most part did well. Sure, there were one or two hiccups along the way, but overall your performance was as good as any NU player in modern history has had in a big NU tournament and I feel like so much of that was due to your process of preparing, which was stellar. This is not to say your execution was not there either as you made so much improvement as a player since SPL I feel and you have established yourself as a top-notch, near dominant NU player and I hope to see more of this in the future, ideally as your teammate! The late nights grinding ideas, teams, and games with you is something I will NEVER forget -- this was an absolute blast for me and I hope to do it again soon!!! KW unfortunately I am not as well-versed in RU as I am in NU or even UU, but I am glad I got to assert my dominance a bit the other night. Regardless, you are one insane player with top-notch instincts and the ability to pace yourself in times where it is called for, which is huge for a newer player. You broke out onto the scene in such a strong fashion and I was impressed the whole way through by your preparation and gameplay. Some of your team ideas scared me, but you got it together and I think that says a lot. Your record was superb and you clearly belong in a field like this. I expect you to do similarly well in SPL and I hope to see you keep it up as a teammate/friend moving forward bro! KingKdot obviously not the most amazing record, but you got thrown into the gauntlet because of a certain someone dipping and a ridiculously hard strength-of-schedule. You still played some good games, including today's gem against SW, and helped out whenever you could. You have a ton of value as a pick-up in one capacity or another and I hope we can stay close in the future. Good luck with the IRL stuff you have coming up man, you're going to kill it. Jirachee you had no business signing up for this tournament. I consider you a nice guy and a good friend, but you were, more or less, a liability when it came to impacting our chances of winning. I hope you see brighter days in the future and I am sure you were genuinely busy IRL, but consider not signing up next time around if that is the case. I'm not going to play the "what if we had another player" game because that is stupid, but yea figure your stuff out next time around. You either commit to things or don't; low-effort into dip is never the optimal play. Mysterious M ridiculously good teammate who even played a new tier for the sake of helping out. You are one of my favorite presences and you know Ubers ridiculously well. You are probably not quite ready for top-notch OU play yet, but you clearly have potential to do well as a player in general, so I hope you get chances in Ubers and keep doing your thing. Glad we got to know each other and I hope we can be chill moving forward, maybe team together again as well! Robert Alfons I know you didn't get to play as much as you'd have liked to, but you did a great job offering input to KW and that's all we can ask. You are a good player when given a chance and I hope that a weak RU field lends you a deserved shot in SPL so you can show them that you clearly belong, much like KW did this time around. danger zone FUCK your name change, but damn you are a super underrated teammate. I loved fucking around with you, discussing random shit with you during the middle of the night because your timezone was fucking dong, and playing games where you usually smacked the shit out of me. You are a really funny, enjoyable chat presence and you did more than I could imagine any 14th round pick could ever do. Thanks for being a dedicated contributor to our team and I hope we can work together again and keep in touch! Special shoutouts to ABR for coming in big during the semi-finals with more lines than half our team had during the season as a whole and pretty much building half of our teams. Your efforts will not be forgotten and you continue to be an absurdly efficient and effective team presence. I am looking forward to working with you again and I am glad we are good friends, Sabella for joining us come mid-season and being an absolute beast with OU/DOU ideas. Your impact on DOU discussion was initially hilarious, but it turned out to be amazing in practice and I am so glad you enjoyed that aspect. You are clearly a great piece of OU support and I could not ask for anything more. Thanks again for helping out and I hope we can win WCOP again next year bro, and Shiba for being a fan of some good ol' baseball with me and helping rob dominate the later stages of the tournament after some early struggles. You are a great guy and I enjoyed interacting with you -- keep playing UU in big tours and I think you will have a lot of good results under your belt, btw! With that all said, thanks again to everyone for a very fun experience and I hope to enjoy many similar experiences moving forward.

Predictions for finals:
OU: Posho vs craing ;_; - I wholeheartedly hope this game ends in the most lopsided fashion possible in Posho's favor to the extent where craing;_; tilts back off the face of the Earth. LGI POSHO
OU: Leru vs Sacri' - Leru is no slack, but Sacri has the upper hand in experience and seems to be playing well when he thinks things through. Sacri tends to stick with fairly standardized, but effective, structures whereas Leru can used pretty much anything depending largely upon who he is getting teams from (iirc he had Charmflash helping team Germany in WCOP, now it's likely someone vastly different). I think that I favor Sacri given a very slight edge in level-of-play and a more noteworthy edge in terms of experience in the metagame.
OU: Ojama vs Updated Kanto - Ojama's no-nonsense approach should prevail against Kanto, who will likely resort to something less conventional to try and give him an upper hand. Ojama is clearly beatable, but I think it takes someone a bit more up-to-date and consistent than Kanto to do it, especially when the pressure is on in a finals-like environment.
OU: RedEmption vs SoulWind - I think RedEmption has been a bit forgetful and perhaps hasty in his gameplay whereas SW is at least a somewhat steady pilot. His SM is nowhere near where his BW is, but solely in terms of raw playing skill you gotta favor SoulWind here, so I'll give it to him, especially given how uncertain I am of his opponent (there's sure as hell a chance Red comes out and beats up on him like he did Eternal Spirit though, so don't rule anything out here).
UU: Pak vs Kory2600 - Pak has been the most consistent UU player for a minute now and he continues to establish himself as someone who rarely misplays. I do think that he has the potential to get outplayed by Kory, but given that he is much less likely to misstep, he has an edge in terms of metagame knowledge, and he will probably bring a better team if games so far have been any indication of what is to come, I have to comfortably favor him here.
RU: Ajna vs Sam - Modern Player Sam is going to have his hands full with Ajna, who may very well end up with the best all-time Snake record when it's all said-n-done here. Ajna has a pretty dynamic, reactionary style that I feel will throw Sam off before the battle even begins and then when it comes to actual execution I think Ajna is probably top 3 in RU whereas Sam is far less reliable on that front.
NU: elodin vs Kushalos - elodin looked like a fucking madman against Nintendi and I think that his "slow start" was not entirely his fault/partially due to a small sample size. If you look at the big picture, elodin has always proven to be near dominant and the top-end of NU when he has had a chance to play it, so I think i give him a very SLIGHT edge against Kushalos, who is knocking on the door of the same territory, but still has some kinks to work out in terms of consistent gameplay.
LC: teal6 vs Heysup - teal can outplay anyone, including himself. I think that his metagame knowledge probably has some holes given his last game and Heysup has actually been winning games pretty consistently for someone who is supposedly "hella washed in '18 lmfao", so I'm going to favor the guy who I feel has looked better thus far in Heysup, but it can really go either way since both are pretty much oddballs (albeit in very different respects) imo.

MajorBowman

wouldst thou like to live fergaliciously?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not gonna do too many individual shoutouts because it would take way too long, but I just wanted to say a huge thanks to everyone on the Leviathans for making this another fantastic team tournament experience. I'm pretty disappointed with my play throughout all of Snake, but I never once felt any judgement or pressure from anyone on this team and that meant the world to me. I came in expecting 1, maybe 2 teammates that could help me test DOU teams but there were no less than 5 or 6 that were willing and able to help out whenever they could. I hope I can team up with some of you again in the future and hopefully do you better this time.

Special shoutout to Finchinator for being probably the most helpful non-doubles main teammate I've ever had in a tournament like this. Every week you were always there to help me throw around ideas or test ad nauseam, and I really appreciated the talks we had throughout the tournament when I was down on myself. We hadn't really talked at all before this tournament but I'm walking away with someone I now consider a good friend, best of luck to you in the future.

Thanks to the hosts for another great tournament, see yall again for SPL :blobthumbsup:

Gl to both teams both have come far and in my opinion hopefully the serpents can win the kingpin is too good

Shinto Ruin Serpents (4) vs Lanakila Nagas (6)

xray

how u doin'?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Shinto Ruin Serpents (7) vs Lanakila Nagas (3)

Rooting for the Serpents to win this. Fantastic team with many players/friends that deserve this and have a great attitude.

Punny

but I knew you
is a Tiering Contributoris the 10th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
I am gonna do some quick shoutouts like my other teammates did. First of all, i'd like to thank Genesis7 and Evan. for picking me and trusting in me. You guys are one of the best managers everyone could ask for, especially if someone wants to get motivated. Shoutouts to Finchinator for all the wings he ate during the season all the help in building and testing, not only in OU but in every tier, you are one of the best teammates ive ever had and im sorry for your result, you def deserve more. Gl for the future bro. Thanks to Hiye KW and Eternally for taking lots of good wins for the team and for the support, you guys are great. robjr you are a very solid player and a very good teammate to have, thank you for all the help and for the test games. Garay oak you are an amazing player, i love how you keep the pressure on your opponent when you play, gl for all. KingKdot Mysterious M i know your record wasnt the best, but I can tell that you helped us so much, i really hope you get the chance to play for a big tour soon and doing a solid record like you deserve! OP i know we didnt talk much, but you brought important wins too so thank you for all you did and good luck for the future. S/o to danger zone for being a very funny teammate and friend to talk with, gl for all man.MajorBowman i love you man, i love how you build such solid teams using cool ideas that are not too used, gl for all n_n. Also thanks to Shiba ABR and Sabella for joining the chat and helping us in prep, i really appreciated that. Finally, i would like to say sorry to my team for how badly i played my last game in this tour, i just threw an important win and im so sorry for that, but i guess it happens. S/o to all my friends who cheered/helped me in test or in prep, love you all

See you in SPL, hopefully

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
was bullied into posting this for bkc, enjoy
Thanks to everyone on the Bushmasters for being great guys to hang around with, do some Pokemoning with and listening to my girl stories, even if pasy was totally not on board with them for w/e reason. Bigger man than me for not blowing tf up at the goshdarn hecking Impolite Rudeness that you were subjected to upon losing. Good wins too, should've enacted the NU thing sooner, given der tragedy that was unfolding dere (lmfao). Great playing, great presence, superb teammate. Not bad for a kraut. Jesus man.

Tony and Adam, appreciate the first round pick despite this being all-SM. Been a dream of mine ever since I was a kid aiming to play in the MLB. I still hope that one day I can be in a game and have my walkup song be Coward so the stadium shakes. Anyway hopefully I worked hard enough with everyone to make it worth your while, there was some rough going for a while in the middle but I think I pulled out of it. All it took was a pushing the fuck-it-my-way button; cb grasses for life. Overall, it was a pretty great time and I enjoyed dedicating myself to it, despite the soul-crushing end. Tony is every bit as hands-on and helpful with endlessly positive reinforcement as they say. Sorry we didn't get to use SD Z-Lando, I agree it's bonkers. Adam is Adam, which is far as I can go in giving him his well-deserved dues since I want to limit the ego boost, but luckily he doesn't need smoke blown up his ass to know how much his players value him (not that he wouldn't take it, I would too). Also the geeking out about childhood snow days was the highlight of the whole tournament.

I hope the rest of the team took something from the experience as well, be it Pokemon advice or what not to do with girls or the fact that blackgaze/Deafheaven is fucking awful (ttg, col).

Accel you were a great dude to have around from day 1. Nadia obviously has her TV eye on you now as we correctly identified she did earlier in the season. This basically makes you Jim from American Pie, who's #2 as far as Jims go (hint for #1: Russian begins-with-Y is Pam). shg will be mine. The bevy of UU ideas you summoned and integrated at will was pretty impressive too. Stick to it, hope to see more of you around and shit. God that sounded informal but luckily me acknowledging it will offset the stuffy possible-bullshitness of it and instead make it sincere. I feel alright.

TTG I hate it when most people say "xyz player really impressed me" (not the only culprit, but looking at you, Adam) because it always strikes me as coming from a self-imposed higher place. Bitch, be humble. So, instead, I will say that your tier archetype and gameplan knowledge genuinely left a strong impression on me. Less egotistical wording, same sentiment. Also you were able to translate this into wins most of the time, which I enjoyed. Shame Ubers is what it's become now but you made it tolerable. Mostly good music taste too but Radiohead and Floyd are wimpy gutter trash.

col I didn't know you could actually play. I thought you were rozes-esque in that you were the guy everyone went to for their teams in a specific tier when the time comes (I'm so sorry for the comparison). What a pleasant surprise. TTG-esque in terms of the whole meta knowledge and gameplan shit, and your playing was exceptional. Still can't believe that happened, I must have been summoned by Gira to an altered, distorted world where you actually step on the battlefield and even more strangely do well on it. Anyway your sense of humor spurred by your unique prose was great and we geeked out endlessly about music as predicted. Apart from a few activity scares, it was fun fun fun. Come a long way from being the guy who sarcastically wouldn't shut up about chimpact.

Edu you might actually be a genius. Who has their nickname theme be "rozes being good" (lmao) and manages to have /sarcasm come out last? One of the most awe-inspiring displays I've ever seen. Seriously though some of that shit was interdimensional. Endlessly nice dude, great to be around, all that fluffy shit. Wish we could've dished more but you enjoyed my girl stories so I hope you look back on them someday. "Heh, heh. That BKC guy was a moron when it came to the ladies. Good times." Vallex, same thing except we dished a little less, but when I saw you talk you were a positive, supremely stand-up guy and you were an exceptional part of the team. I pride myself on not bullshitting or mincing words so I really mean it. Glad you were around.

rozes apart from the disastrous playing misadventures where you repeatedly demonstrated firsthand your virulent case of physical addiction manifesting itself in neverbeforeseen ways with your life-or-death need to constantly be clicking with no rhyme or reason, in addition to your tragic allergy to getting 'em up, you are pretty much the ideal guy to have on a team for all the less glorious stuff that goes a long way for success. You're also a great dude to have in the chat to just shoot the shit with. Thank you for enduring the endless abuse (which you did everything to deserve many times over). As long as you're not in the lineup, you're invaluable (because every great team needs a punching bag).

Hay you were on the quiet side for a while but really came to life near the end. You get around in the OU world and thus you know its micro-trends that change every two days like the back of your hand. I was like you once... I was young... anyway a few rough games aside you're a damn good player with a bright future if you stick to it and pipe up regularly, especially in regards to sticking to your guns. Simia, same exact thing; apart from a hiccup here and there, your games got better and better as the season goes on, and things were more fun once you started just shooting the shit with us regularly. Speaking of once being young, God I cannot believe you were born in 2003. That is so gross. Keep it up though.

Gondra... my boy. For most of the season you had the hot/cold moments I kinda expected but overall the only player that really stops you is yourself... and when we most needed you to, you had one of the most brutal motherfucking games in recent memory. Jesus Christ that was nuts. Glad you were around, beaning it up, despite your disgusting weeb tendencies (also applicable to hay/sim/adam iirc). One day you will cross the border.

Mob once the activity picked up you were fantastic to have around. While Fire Blast MGyara (I'll never let this go) is the pits, your constant need to push the envelope to bursting points is as inspirational as it is infuriating and there's no denying you're a terrific player. Shame The Breadsticks got frozen, comical as it was tragic. Glad you were around.
Levi, congrats on the record. Wish you hung out with us more (or at all) but instead you hung your opponents from the rafters. Spinarak is a Kodak moment if there ever was one.

To everyone: take your GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING TIME and your future Pokemon endeavors will be successful.

The exception to this merry group of gentlemen was Nintendi, who was shameless in being unbridled cancer. Reveling in being a complete brat is great for making punk rock, not so much for being a half-decent teammates. It'd have been okay if you'd won but you didn't. Worst of both worlds. It's a shame because everyone knows you're a fantastic ORAS player but wow we did not get what we paid for. I'm not personally bothered by the weird edgy porn shit but your insistence on that was almost as strange as your fascination with the subject to begin with. While losing obviously bothers the shit out of me, being an obnoxious shithead in light of it - ironic, I know - makes it twice as bad. While I'm sure some may view this post as disasteful, I found this season-long behavior to be so appallingly, unapologetically awful that it deserves to be mentioned. Wouldn't be an accurate depiction of what we went through otherwise. Plus, accountability and all.

Anyway that's it from me. Thanks to my opponents for the games, there were some memories made there for sure. Hope you cherish them somewhat and I also hope whoever read this derived some pleasure from it. OU has its issues that I hope are addressed down the line but overall, even if it's a bit on the strangulative side at times in the teambuilder, it's great to play.

Good luck to the finalists, rooting for Serpents but I hope Sacri wins. Shame Ojama didn't match up against SW or ben. RedEmption's a beast with great teams though so that game will be sick. The OU games look promising as a whole. Great UU matchup too, and even the Little Cup thing currently piques my interest, although as soon as Wingull comes in I'm sure I'll regret this statement. Anyway I look forward to the games and hope both teams pull out all the stops so the bright sparks of competition fly furiously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)