Smogon Tournament #8 - Round 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smogon Tournament #8

Tournament Rules | Signups | Round 1 | Round 2 | Round 3 | Round 4 | Round 5

Welcome to Smogon Tournament VIII, the eighth edition of Smogon's premier Standard OU tournament. From the hundreds who will register to play in this tournament, a single champion will be crowned and forever become a part of the exclusive group of elite players that hold an Official Smogon Tournament trophy. Winning this tournament is considered by many to be one of the greatest achievements in competitive Pokémon.

Specific Rules

• This is a standard BW OU tournament.
  • The tournament will be single elimination.
  • Players will play a best of three series of games each round.
  • Matches are to be played on Pokemon Online (Smogon University server).

• Sleep Clause: A player cannot put two or more different opposing Pokémon to sleep using attacks that induce sleep to opposing pokémon.
  • Species Clause: A player cannot have two of the same pokémon on their team. For example, a player cannot have two Koffing on his or her team.
  • Wifi Clause: Players must turn on the Team Preview feature where players can view the opposing team's Pokémon and choose their lead Pokémon.
  • Evasion Clause*: A player cannot use the moves Double Team or Minimize in their Pokémon's movesets, and cannot give their Pokémon the hold items BrightPowder or Lax Incense.
  • OHKO Clause*: Players cannot use Horn Drill, Guillotine, Sheer Cold, or Fissure in any of their Pokémon's movesets.
  • Timer Clause*: If a player exhausts the timer, he/she loses.
  • Uber Clause*: Pokémon that are in the Uber Tier are not allowed to be used. The tier list can be found here. In addition, the following restrictions on abilities apply:
    • Players cannot use the ability Moody on any of their Pokémon.
    • Players cannot have a Pokémon with the ability Drizzle and a Pokémon with the ability Swift Swim on the same team.
*These clauses should automatically be enforced in the Smogon University BW OU tier.
Those who have followed Smogon's official tournaments should be well aware of these, but here they are again:

Identity

I expect many battles to be completed under alts. This can be bad for tournament security, and thus I will make this clear: If I hear any whispers of identity theft (battling as someone you are not) or proxy battling (helping someone else battle through pm) I will not be pleased and I will take severe actions.

Scouting

Next, I do not want to hear anything about counterteaming, at all. Do not complain about it. I also don't want to hear about any blatant scouting. There is a difference between "[user] is known for using stall" and "let me follow [user] around all day to watch all his battles since I am his opponent". I expect a lot of the former and none of the latter.

With that said, I give permission to all battlers to ask any person spectating their battle to leave if they do not want them watching.

Timer Clause

As for taking long between moves, if your opponent asks you to hurry up, please oblige. If you are doing a damage calc for a key turn that is one thing, but prolonging every move is suspicious and annoying. Don't do it. Furthermore, Battle Timeout is a rule for a reason. If you run out of time, you lose, simple as that. It does not matter what your opponent says. Do not battle if you think you will have to leave mid battle, and instead reschedule for a better time.

Disconnections

Finally, in the case of a disconnect, the decision is in the hands of the player who did not disconnect. The options are: redo the battle move for move, redo the battle with the same teams but different moves, or redo the battle with completely different teams. If the battle was without a doubt over, they may also take the win. Any suspicion that a disconnect was committed on purpose to redo a match may be appealed to me, and if I feel this happened there will be severe consequences, don't do it.

Pairings

shinycarletto vs Playa
SJCrew vs Alice
xtrashine vs McMeghan
Private vs imperfectluck
uraga vs Bluewind
Pocket vs Jcpdragonx
Snunch vs badabing
Grind Pantera vs Thatsjustpeachy

Highlight Matches

xtrashine vs McMeghan

McMeghan, one of the most successful tournament players in 2011, faces off against underdog innovator xtrashine in this top sixteen skirmish. While McMeghan is likely to be the favorite for this match, it would certainly be unwise to count xtrashine out, especially since he is coming hot off a victory against panamaxis in Round 5. Players like reyscarface, who are sceptical of the hype around McMeghan, may indeed find themselves predicting the Saudi and his trusty Mantine to overcome Politoed's torrential downpour. Whether you think McMeghan is overpowered or overrated, this clash between Alpha Ruiners is sure to be a great match. ~ Earthworm

Private vs imperfectluck

Not much is known about Private, other than:
<Snunch> private makes it to semis / finals like it's his job
according to master Pokemon analysist Snunch. The reason for this was clear:
<Heist> he likes 2 keep his information private so i cant describe him
Others know him as a
<folgorio> french
<Sogeking> haxor

Meanwhile, the people had to say this about imperfectluck:
<kamitsure> a demure and charismatic exterior masking voraciousness and compulsive betrayal issues
<Andrew> smogon's pedo
<Solace> he likes little girls

Will Private overcome the odds and win, or will imperfectluck touch
<Earthworm> private's privates

~ Eo Ut Mortus & guests

uraga vs Bluewind

This match pits two players whose journeys began in DPP UU and will inevitably end in shame and sexual frustration. Six-time tournament winner Bluewind is best known for his repeated Smogon Tour success and consistently high level of performance. Former grammar/prose checker uraga is best known for his inappropriate alt names "Sgt. Poop" and "Sgt. Semen" and his tendency to communicate in nothing but dog noises and incomprehensible blabber. This round, Bluewind's goal is to refuse to play until an hour before the deadline; while uraga, having beaten Shun DK and Blue_Star to reach this point, looks to further solidify his reputation as the BR slayer and eliminate Brazil's last hope for the ST8 cup. Will uraga be thrown under the giraffe, or will the subject of Bluewind's rage this round be elimination? ~ Eo Ut Mortus

Snunch vs badabing

[21:48:33] <Snunch> last time i fought badabing i brought full bp chain and he brought 3 fast taunters
[21:48:39] <Snunch> i will not make the same mistake again!

Indeed, the mighty Snunch has shown us how proficient he is at building teams, and one can only look in astonishment when he realizes that StoneCold wasted 10k on him, of all players, especially considering that last SPL, Snunch only managed to defeat shrang and reyscarface. Speaking of, Snunch has to defeat reyscarface’s pimp, the mighty badabing. New to Smogon, badabing has proven himself to be an able BW OU battler, making it far in Home Field Advantage and Battle City. The question is: can badabing defeat Snunch’s Baton Pass and Tyrogue or will Snunch bs his way through to the next round? ~ Steven Snype

Deadline

The deadline for Round 6 Matches will be Thursday, the 9th of February 2012, at 23:59 EST.

Everyone left is getting close to the finish line, with only four rounds (including this one) to go. Good luck to everyone!

shinycarletto vs Playa
SJCrew vs Alice
xtrashine vs McMeghan
Private vs imperfectluck
uraga vs Bluewind
Pocket vs Jcpdragonx
Snunch vs badabing

shinycarletto vs Playa
SJCrew vs Alice
xtrashine vs McMeghan
Private vs imperfectluck
uraga vs Bluewind
Pocket vs Jcpdragonx
Snunch vs badabing

shinycarletto vs Playa
SJCrew vs Alice
xtrashine vs McMeghan
Private vs imperfectluck
uraga vs Bluewind - gl nigs
Pocket vs Jcpdragonx
Snunch vs badabing

coR.

Banned deucer.
shinycarletto vs Playa
SJCrew vs Alice
xtrashine vs McMeghan
Private vs imperfectluck
uraga vs Bluewind
Pocket vs Jcpdragonx
Snunch vs badabing

Alice Lets get it !!

shinycarletto vs Playa
SJCrew vs Alice
xtrashine vs McMeghan
Private vs imperfectluck
uraga vs Bluewind
Pocket vs Jcpdragonx
Snunch vs badabing

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
shinycarletto vs Playa
SJCrew vs Alice
xtrashine vs McMeghan
Private vs imperfectluck
uraga vs Bluewind
Pocket vs Jcpdragonx
Snunch vs badabing

hl matches are xtra v. mcmeghan and uraga vs. bluewind

man those are tough...so ima pussy out and not pick ;)

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
shinycarletto vs Playa
SJCrew vs Alice
xtrashine vs McMeghan
Private vs imperfectluck
uraga vs Bluewind
Pocket vs Jcpdragonx
Snunch vs badabing

Nelson

Young, Wild & Free
shinycarletto vs Playa
SJCrew vs Alice
xtrashine vs McMeghan
Private vs imperfectluck
uraga vs Bluewind
Pocket vs Jcpdragonx
Snunch vs badabing

shinycarletto vs Playa
SJCrew vs Alice
xtrashine vs McMeghan
Private vs imperfectluck
uraga vs Bluewind
Pocket vs Jcpdragonx
Snunch vs badabing

Steiner

Banned deucer.
shinycarletto vs Playa
SJCrew vs Alice
xtrashine vs McMeghan
Private vs imperfectluck
uraga vs Bluewind
Pocket vs Jcpdragonx
Snunch vs badabing

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
shinycarletto vs Playa
SJCrew vs Alice
xtrashine vs McMeghan
Private vs imperfectluck
uraga vs Bluewind
Pocket vs Jcpdragonx
Snunch vs badabing

shinycarletto vs Playa
SJCrew vs Alice
xtrashine vs McMeghan
Private vs imperfectluck
uraga vs Bluewind
Pocket vs Jcpdragonx
Snunch vs badabing

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
shinycarletto vs Playa
SJCrew vs Alice
xtrashine vs McMeghan
Private vs imperfectluck
uraga vs Bluewind
Pocket vs Jcpdragonx
Snunch vs badabing

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hinycarletto vs Playa
SJCrew vs Alice
xtrashine vs McMeghan
Private vs imperfectluck
uraga vs Bluewind
Pocket vs Jcpdragonx
Snunch vs badabing

gl everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)