Smogon Usage-Based Tier Update: December 2015 (Read the OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'll have to fall below 3.41% usage in UU next month for it to drop to RU.
It's actually 2,4% for the second month. 3,4% would be for the third month(February in this case).
But Garde was actually quite good in UU last time it was aviable, at the start of XY(admittely a lot of time passed), and is still the only specially offensive Fairy aviable in the tier, so it won't probably drop anytime soon.

It's actually 2,4% for the second month. 3,4% would be for the third month(February in this case).
But Garde was actually quite good in UU last time it was aviable, at the start of XY(admittely a lot of time passed), and is still the only specially offensive Fairy aviable in the tier, so it won't probably drop anytime soon.
We need more offensive fast fairies Dx. Especially in the lower tiers.

Venusaur is pretty outclassed by Roserade (Offensively) and Amoongus (Defensively) in UU outside of Sun teams, so it's not going to be broken and probably not even that good
well venusaur is hell imo.
sleep powder + sludge bomb + giga drain makes it good
since we have very less sleep powder / spore users in uu tho

| 91 | Thundurus-Therian | 1.001% |

Doesn't this mean that it drops to UU or at least BL? Unless the criteria for drops is incredibly low, I don't see why it is still in OU

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Could regular Blaziken potentially drop from Ubers since it is not used that much compared to its Mega-Evolution?
Ubers is not a usage based tier, unlike the others (OU, UU, RU, NU, PU). Blaziken was banned from OU both with and without a mega stone, so it will be remaining in Ubers no matter its usage there.
This, and regular Blaziken is actually used more than Mega Blaziken

Wow this update is going to make everything a lot more complicated. I had every pokemon's tier memorized but this is making my head spin. Poor grass types in the lower tiers, now they got even more competition.

| 47 | Sylveon | 4.345% |
| 52 | Conkeldurr | 3.488% |
so close....png

| 29 | Donphan | 7.565% |
| 38 | Milotic | 6.335% |
| 42 | Espeon | 5.906% |
| 46 | Vaporeon | 5.565% |
Seriously?
| 60 | Cloyster | 3.994% |
| 61 | Goodra | 3.864% |
Heavy Breathing.jpg

| 50 | Muk | 4.861% |
FUCKING DROP ALREADY!

I know but I want the low ladder to wise up and stop using shitmons.
Never gonna happen, people are always gonna use non-standard stuff and the lower ladder punishes the player for worse teams far less than the higher ladder. But even then we use 1630 usage stats (and 1695 in OU) so people using bad stuff that high on the ladder is more of a testament that the ladder is kinda shitty or the viability rankings exaggerate some mon's bad viability.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well I mean I'm not really sure why you're fussing about those mons of all things. This isn't Ambipom in RU we're talking about, let alone any sort of DPP OU Electivire. Sylveon and Conkeldurr are undoubtedly OU's worst Pokemon and I do want them to drop to UU, but only because they'd make wonderful new additions to UU. However, even they aren't half bad in OU and have okay niches, Clefable and Mega Gardevoir are usually superior options, yes, however, Sylveon still has some valuable traits, namely in that it doesn't occupy a Mega Slot like Mega Gardevoir does, and it also has the luxury of Dry Baton Passing on switch-ins to easily gain momentum. Conkeldurr also isn't half bad either. It's a decent tank, and even though it has issues with Fairies and is slow meaning it's easy to pressure, it's still a decent check to common threats in OU such as Tyranitar, Bisharp, and Mega Lopunny. Its Sheer Force set is also okay as it hits fairly hard with LO and has decent coverage to boot, making it a good hole puncher by allowing it to hit Gliscor hard with Ice Punch, or smack Fairies with Poison Jab, or something among those lines. Of course, neither Pokemon is that great as the former faces really stiff competition from Clef and Mega Gardevoir, and the latter is just really slow and has incredibly exploitable weaknesses, but they both have uses. They should probably drop to UU, but calling them "shitmons" is bringing it too far. They do have a couple of pretty valuable traits that keep them used.

And as for those UU mons. The only Pokemon in UU that is genuinely bad is Vaporeon, and that's because it barely has a niche in UU right now (to be frank, even Milotic is more useful than it). Other than Vaporeon and to an extent Milotic, the other mons that you listed aren't that bad, and they are actually very decent Pokemon in the UU metagame, just not quite as good as the UU staples. Those other four Pokemon mentioned are actually pretty decent Pokemon and have good niches in the metagame, none of them are even bad (why are people even still hating on Espeon, idgi). I mean sure, none of them are staples in this tier, but all of them have solid niches in the tier and are overall decent and effective Pokemon. Sure, they aren't by any means top tier threats in this meta, but none of them are even bad at all and have niches that some teams may want. They all have some pretty valuable aspects that give them reason to be used on some teams. I'm not sure why exactly you're ragging on them when they aren't even bad Pokemon and are nowhere near as bad as Scrafty or Trevenant when they were UU. Vaporeon is the only genuinely shitty one in that list tbh, and Milotic is somewhat questionable but it's an okay Pokemon on its own too despite being outclassed.

Basically, right now even the lesser viable Pokemon in OU and UU aren't half bad in the metagames and aren't by any means DPP OU Electivires or Ambipom in RU or something among those lines. The only shitty thing I can see is Vaporeon in UU but...ehhh....lol.

Could we just ignore the low ladder usage and just consider the higher ladder so mons like ambipom don't get stuck on a tier?

Could we just ignore the low ladder usage and just consider the higher ladder so mons like ambipom don't get stuck on a tier?
They already consider usage only past 1630 rating, ladders are just this bad. Using an higher rating wouldn't work because it would be too small of a sample size.

tbh the problem isn't even that bad anymore. We're past the days of UU Trevenant and RU Hitmonchan; now for the most part it's just stuff like Sylveon in OU - things that while they probably shouldn't be there are at least viable. The last little things to clean up rather than the disaster we've had months ago.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
That's what I thought until I saw that Ambipom, Cinccino and Typh were all still RU. Basically the other ladders have evolved and RU is still mostly in the dark ages regarding shitmon tiering. The PU ladders also pretty trash but that only affects the unofficial FU anyway

That's what I thought until I saw that Ambipom, Cinccino and Typh were all still RU. Basically the other ladders have evolved and RU is still mostly in the dark ages regarding shitmon tiering. The PU ladders also pretty trash but that only affects the unofficial FU anyway
And now we've got another shitmon in Ampharos, but at least the ladder isn't stupid enough to use that... right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)