Smogon Usage-Based Tier Update: May 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
I honestly think quag and zappy are dropping next month or relatively soon thereafter. Amoonguss might too but that's much more of a "might".

I say this because suspect ladder is always gonna have more stallmons than usual, and also because ou is already adapting to the rise of fat af things with the likes of megacham, choiced kyube, and other powerful wallbreakers rising in viability. A lot of these mons dunk on quag and zappy's life pretty hard. Amoonguss might drop but it's less likely because it has a much more established niche outside stall teams than either of those mons, but I guess we'll see.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
I thinK Mega Alakazam stays in UU because it was banned in X&Y similar to how Salamence was allowed, Mega Alt should be BL thiugh

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I like people who just ignored Sam's post about Mega Alt and Mega Zam being banned in previous stages of UU. DON'T PANIC GUYS! Anyway, on to RU stuff:

Amoonguss - As if Virizion needed to get any better, it just did. CM sets in particular are very happy with Amoonguss leaving. Something that's quite underrated right now, Sceptile, is a huge benefactor of this. Granted, Amoonguss wasn't the best bulky Grass-type in the tier by any means, but it was one of the more reliable checks to Virizion that slower teams had that could still absorb TSpikes. Defensive Venusaur sets might have a bit more merit now o.o

Quagsire - Considering the best setup sweeper in RU is a Grass-type, this isn't a huge loss. There's also the fact that RU doesn't have that many setup sweepers in general, so losing Quagsire is kind of "meh".

Honchkrow - Oh boy, get ready. Krow is going to be ridiculous in the tier. A+ rank at the very least, and that's if the meta is unkind to it. Simply put, Krow is able to put heavy pressure on just about every defensive Pokemon in RU with the lone exception of Diancie with a set of Sucker, Brave Bird, Heat Wave, and HP Grass. Even Diancie will need to adjust to a more physically defensive spread in order to handle Honchkrow upon multiple switch-ins, especially if it gets a Moxie boost. If there's one saving grace, it would be that Honchkrow has issues reliably switching into most of RU's Pokemon due to its low Defenses (HP will be eaten up by LO and Brave Bird recoil) only average Speed and reliance on Sucker Punch to KO faster targets. Even then, it just needs one KO and some chip damage on shit like Mega Steelix and Rhyperior to really get going. Definitely see this being suspected atm

Just wanted to comment that Aggron should be sick in NU and that UU got some really cool-looking drops.

I like people who just ignored Sam's post about Mega Alt and Mega Zam being banned in previous stages of UU. DON'T PANIC GUYS! Anyway, on to RU stuff:

Amoonguss - As if Virizion needed to get any better, it just did. CM sets in particular are very happy with Amoonguss leaving. Something that's quite underrated right now, Sceptile, is a huge benefactor of this. Granted, Amoonguss wasn't the best bulky Grass-type in the tier by any means, but it was one of the more reliable checks to Virizion that slower teams had that could still absorb TSpikes. Defensive Venusaur sets might have a bit more merit now o.o

Quagsire - Considering the best setup sweeper in RU is a Grass-type, this isn't a huge loss. There's also the fact that RU doesn't have that many setup sweepers in general, so losing Quagsire is kind of "meh".

Honchkrow - Oh boy, get ready. Krow is going to be ridiculous in the tier. A+ rank at the very least, and that's if the meta is unkind to it. Simply put, Krow is able to put heavy pressure on just about every defensive Pokemon in RU with the lone exception of Diancie with a set of Sucker, Brave Bird, Heat Wave, and HP Grass. Even Diancie will need to adjust to a more physically defensive spread in order to handle Honchkrow upon multiple switch-ins, especially if it gets a Moxie boost. If there's one saving grace, it would be that Honchkrow has issues reliably switching into most of RU's Pokemon due to its low Defenses (HP will be eaten up by LO and Brave Bird recoil) only average Speed and reliance on Sucker Punch to KO faster targets. Even then, it just needs one KO and some chip damage on shit like Mega Steelix and Rhyperior to really get going. Definitely see this being suspected atm

Just wanted to comment that Aggron should be sick in NU and that UU got some really cool-looking drops.
I dont think that Honchkrow is busted on its own, but if Machamp drops from UU due to Conk then Ru is in a world of hurt, also considering running Vileplume in place of Amoonguss on some of my RU teams, not sure if it will be good but we'll see

So many people saying how it's "about time" that Sylveon and Conkeldurr dropped from OU.
Meanwhile, I've been waiting for Amoonguss to rise to OU since Black/White 2, and it finally happened!

Also, seeing Mega Charizard Y's current usage is a little unsettling...

If Charizard Y dropped it would likely be quick banned - bar Blissey and Flash Fire Chandelure pretty much nothing could switch into it.

Honchkrow is going to be an absolute beast in RU, but I'm not sure if it will be banned. Rhyperior can handle it pretty well, Mega Steelix beats sets that lack Heat Wave and Diancie walls sets that lack Hidden Power Grass. Defensive Granbull beats it one on one, although it can't switch in. On top of that it's pretty slow for an offensive Pokémon, and can't take hits at all.

Natan

is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Quagsire moved from NU to OU
Amoonguss moved from RU to OU
I just can see Malamar and Virizion being more powerful than they're now in NU and RU respectively, this sounds bad

Honchkrow moved from UU to RU
No counters, damn
Steel Wing destroys Diancie and Heat Wave can 2HKO Steelix-Mega without cut its own Attack with Superpower, let's just use priority after some Superpower or stall its HP out thanks to Life Orb to beat it.

Conkeldurr moved from OU to UU
Sylveon moved from OU to UU
IT'S ABOUT TIME

Now we can just wait for Typhlosion, Trevenant, Ambipom and Cinccino's time to drop to NU, Typhlosion to BL3, plus Haxorus and Goodra will drop to RU, but I hope they become BL2, principally Haxorus, I want not need to use Granbull Kebia Berry to check it lol

Last edited:
If Charizard Y dropped it would likely be quick banned
Drought is banned in UU, so even if Charizard-Y weren't potentially broken on its own it would still be banned on account of its ability.

Should be fun to throw together a new UU team with these drops, even if Zapdos will be missed.

Aggron wasn't bad in RU per se, but really there was no reason to use it when you had the faster, more powerful Tyrantrum with no x4 weaknesses. Trevanent, Ambipom and Cinncino need to drop.

Wandering Wobbuffet

formerly Based Honker
Aww man why all the trevenant hate. Banded trevenant is an excellent to spike stack since it can OHKOS blastoise with CB wood hammer while outspeeding it preventing foresight shenanigans.

We had two Pokemon move from relatively low tiers all the way up to OU. Whoah.

Also people need to stop using Ambipom, Typhlosion, and Cincinno. They seriously need to drop at this point.

Also while RU dodged a bullet with Haxorus, UU got two straight to the face in the form of Mega Alakazam and Mega Altaria

Natan

is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If Charizard Y dropped it would likely be quick banned - bar Blissey and Flash Fire Chandelure pretty much nothing could switch into it.

Honchkrow is going to be an absolute beast in RU, but I'm not sure if it will be banned. Rhyperior can handle it pretty well, Mega Steelix beats sets that lack Heat Wave and Diancie walls sets that lack Hidden Power Grass. Defensive Granbull beats it one on one, although it can't switch in. On top of that it's pretty slow for an offensive Pokémon, and can't take hits at all.
Steel Wing surely beats Diancie, none checks :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)