Smogon Usage-Based Tier Update: September 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Espeon is like finally dropping to UU, it was somehow OU even before Baton Pass became a thing wtf.

On a somewhat unrelated note, this is the last tier shift before ORAS, and the games are going to be out only a few days before December, do you already know how you're going to handle that?

Tele

a quality human being
I had a suspicion that Mew would go OU with how often I was seeing it lately.
Slowbro rising and Quagsire dropping surprised me, though. Quagsire is one of the best stall Pokemon around, and Slowbro, which was UU last gen, didn't get any buffs (unless people are theorymoning Mega Slowbro).
It may just be luck, but I've been seeing way more Quagsire than Slowbro lately. Guess I'm a minority.
I think I have had a role in the Slowbro rise to OU since I have been using it a lot (i mean a lot) in the high ladder (i mean high) over the past months

Okay UU, you now have a whopping 65 mons as opposed to OU's 44, can you please give us one of them next time? Please? Just one? (And no Wobbuffet doesn't count)

Seriously, is there any sort of possible explanation as to why UU has 21 more mons than OU but none of them drop? As an RU player, it gets a bit frustrating at times that all of the other lower tiers get cool new toys to play with but we never do.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Im just surprised that Hawlucha isn't OU. It completely takes a dump on a huge percentage of the meta and Unburden makes it almost unstoppable with a set of SD, Sky Attack, HJK and Acrobatics holding Power Herb with a spread of 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe Adamant.

also Wobb in RU will be scary.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This disappointed me a ton. We don't get Savior Dog. We can't get rid of Alomomola. We can't even get Kingdra (even tho it'd be borked) And to top it all off, we can't even get rid of Hitmonchan... RU Ladder is just absolute aids and UU sucks for hording so many mons that would actually be cool for RU :(

gamer boy, the Shadow Tag ban by UU affects RU as well, so Wobb won't be a big deal.

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
gamer boy, the Shadow Tag ban by UU affects RU as well, so Wobb won't be a big deal.
forgot about shad tag ban... ok it'll be underwhealming. Hope people start using it in OU so it doesn't go to PU despite being uber for 2 gens.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well, speaking on the behalf of UU, it's always been a relatively stern tier. No matter how close some its mons have been to dropping, RU never really gets any of them (which has been the case since like BW2). Things like Bisharp, Krookodile, Houndoom, Zoroark, Meloetta, Mismagius, and Dusclops (lol) were all very close to dropping to RU, but they stayed UU for the entire generation. That's pretty much my explanation as for why UU never gives RU anything. It is a very greedy tier.

That said, the UU meta has taken a massive shift with all the losses and the new drops, Togekiss will be scary, the rest should be okay.

RU got nothing lol. And NU should be interesting with the loss of the premier Ghost in the tier, it'll be hard to stop Cryogonal and the new Kabutops from spinning (BW2 RU anyone??), beyond like the Dusks, which are both pretty bad lol. Speaking of which, Kabutops will be very interesting, it'll be a good spinner and a nice offensive Pokemon.

Yeah that's my thoughts on the other drops.

Martin

Ive just spotted that Talonflame and Zard are slowly but surely creeping down the ranks in OU...
NU should be interesting with the loss of the premier Ghost in the tier, it'll be hard to stop Cryogonal and the new Kabutops from spinning (BW2 RU anyone??), beyond like the Dusks, which are both pretty bad lol. Speaking of which, Kabutops will be very interesting, it'll be a good spinner and a nice offensive Pokemon.
I wouldn't say that Cryo and Kabu will find it easy to spin. There are still a few decent spinblockers not called Dusk____ (Mismagius and Misdreavus, to name the first two that come to mind) and I feel that their usage will definitely go up in the tier in light of these drops.

rip savior dog

Ive just spotted that Talonflame and Zard are slowly but surely creeping down the ranks in OU...

I wouldn't say that Cryo and Kabu will find it easy to spin. There are still a few decent spinblockers not called Dusk____ (Mismagius and Misdreavus, to name the first two that come to mind) and I feel that their usage will definitely go up in the tier in light of these drops.
If those 2 drop to UU I officially lose all hope for OU. I also hope that people realize Kabutops gets Knock Off so Colbur Mismagius > LO.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Just put Wobbuffet and Mawile straight back down to NU. Wobb no longer has Shadow Tag except in OU (so it's complete garbage), and Mawile lost its Mega Stone.
Maw isn't a complete lock for NU tbh. It has a great typing, two great abilities, Swords Dance, great Dual STAB [that both get boosted by one of those abilities], and priority. Not saying it'll stay RU for sure, but it sure as hell isn't in the same boat as Wobb.

time to BP all the things in UU, at least before koko bans BP entirely from UU

also rip nu, rain is here to be a terror for at least 3 months / till bans

| 63 | Barbaracle | 3.275% |

This thing made PU? Damn, it can rip through NU teams at +2 and can outspeed most scarfers as well I believe. I don't know how well the new tier is going to handle Barbaracle but hopefully it will end up banned as it is probably going to be too powerful with SS + Life Orb (hell, you won't even need Life Orb, you can fuck around and run White Herb if you want). The only thing I can see walling it is Tangela and you shouldn't have to put a Tangela on every team..

On a side note Ursaring will love a tier without Zangoose to pick on it for being slow :D

Last edited:

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
This thing made PU? Damn, it can rip through NU teams at +2 and can/will outspeed pretty much the entire unboosted tier when it gets there.l
It made PU cause it was outclassed as shit by every smash user in NU: Gorebyss, Omastar, and even by Caracosta due to Cara having more reliable STAB and priority.
Basically it was always either walled by Seismitoad or Ferroseed, depending on if it ran Grass Knot or Cross Chop, and look at its offensive moves:
Stone Edge / Razor Shell / Cross Chop - none of which have 100% accuracy, which is bad for a frail set-up sweeper.

It definitely deserves dropping to PU :P

This thing made PU? Damn, it can rip through NU teams at +2 and can outspeed most scarfers as well I believe. I don't know how well the new tier is going to handle Barbaracle but hopefully it will end up banned as it is probably going to be too powerful with SS + Life Orb (hell, you won't even need Life Orb, you can fuck around and run White Herb if you want). The only thing I can see walling it is Tangela and you shouldn't have to put a Tangela on every team..

On a side note Ursaring won't be totally outclassed anymore yay :D
Nah, there's also Poliwrath, Gourgeist, and good old offensive pressure, since it's pretty hard to actually set it up. Also, Carracosta is a bit better anyway because of Aqua Jet, Solid Rock, and the ability to go mixed.

It made PU cause it was outclassed as shit by every smash user in NU: Gorebyss, Omastar, and even by Caracosta due to Cara having more reliable STAB and priority.
Basically it was always either walled by Seismitoad or Ferroseed, depending on if it ran Grass Knot or Cross Chop, and look at its offensive moves:
Stone Edge / Razor Shell / Cross Chop - none of which have 100% accuracy, which is bad for a frail set-up sweeper.

It definitely deserves dropping to PU :P
Ye but... but.. tough claws tho. Also yeah def outclassed by Omastar but that's gone anyway, and Carracosta, well, is not as powerful and is in a much worse speed tier but does have reliable priority and better physical bulk so it's really up to preference tbh. It just barely made PU anyway.

Nah, there's also Poliwrath, Gourgeist, and good old offensive pressure, since it's pretty hard to actually set it up. Also, Carracosta is a bit better anyway because of Aqua Jet, Solid Rock, and the ability to go mixed.
Damn forgot about these two. Poliwrath can phaze it out to avoid the 2HKO from Cross Chop I suppose, although Barbaracle could just set up again later lol. Gourgeist is definitely a hard counter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)