Announcement Smogon VGC 2021 Major - Information ($1150 in Prizing!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zee

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE POST, THERE ARE IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS YOU NEED TO FOLLOW

After years of tournament inactivity, Smogon VGC returns to the tournament scene with the 2021 Major! A massive, massive thanks to Zelda for the generous prize pool donation! This a two day live tournament (cohosted by zeefable and Zelda) that will take place on Saturday May 29th and Sunday May 30th. Concrete details below.

General Tournament Details
  • This is a Swiss style tournament with rounds determined by total player signups.
  • For players used to Smogon Tour and other Smogon live tournaments: expect this to be a much longer commitment!
  • Additionally, teams will be LOCKED for the entire tournament. You will not be allowed to change teams at any point.
  • Matches will be played in a best-of-three in VGC 2021 Series 9 in the ZeldaVGC room on Pokemon Showdown
  • Chansey, Blissey, and Shuckle are banned from this tournament to ensure games proceed at a reasonable pace.
  • There is no overall round timer, games will be decided by the Pokemon Showdown timer with TO intervention if needed.
  • All players that finish the tournament on Saturday with an X-2 or better record (where X is just number of Swiss rounds -2, e.g. 6-2 in an 8 round tournament) will qualify for Sunday top cut
  • Teamsheets will be closed on Saturday but will be public for top cut. This includes your six Pokemon as well as their moves, items, and abilities.
How to Participate
  • Sign up on the battlefy page here. Battlefy is a tournament platform that will ensure the tournament runs at a smooth pace.
  • There is a field on the battlefy signup that asks you to submit a team. You do not need to submit a team right this instant, and you may change your team if you have already provided one. Just make sure you have a team submitted for when the tournament starts of course.
  • In addition to signing up on battlefy, players must also have a Smogon account and confirm their signup in this thread.
  • It's also recommended, but not required, that you join the Smogon VGC Discord and follow my Twitter for updates on the rounds.
Gameplay:
Standard practice for PS-based VGC tournaments is to open all games in a best of three at once when your round starts. This is to prevent your opponent from making any sneaking adjustments to their teams in between games. We ask that you follow this procedure, it's for your benefit! This does mean, however, that you must make sure your autotimer is set to off.

Times: (timezone converter)
Saturday the 29th of May 2021:
GMT/UTC: 5 PM / 17:00
North America:
10AM Pacific Time (PT), 1PM EST
Europe: 7PM Standard Europe, 6PM UK
Sunday the 30th of May 2021:
Oceania:
3AM (VIC/NSW)
Japan: 2AM (Tokyo)

Prize Pool
  • Again, huge thanks to Zelda for this generous prize pool. The payout is as follows:
  • 1st place: $500 USD
  • 2nd place: $250 USD
  • 3rd and 4th place: $100 USD
  • 5th-8th place: $50 USD
This thread will remain open so that anyone can ask any questions pertaining to the tournament.

Last edited:

emma

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
When signing up in the Smogon thread, it asks for our Battlefy Username. Should this be our actual Battlefy Username (i.e. emma_gaming for me) or the name we registered under for the tour (i.e. emma for me). Seen two different people do it two different ways so far.

I would sign up...... but it's at a very late time for my zone. Any Idea how many hours it would take? (just the swiss, not top cut, I don't expect to make that)

I signed up... I'm not too good at VGC, but I read all the Nugget bridge beginner stuff and I'm practicing, Hopefully I can win at least 1 match before I have to log off!

zee

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
Hello everyone! As we are only a few days away from the tournament's start I'd like to take this time to send out a few reminders to everyone who has signed up so far. If you were tagged and you cannot play the tournament anymore, do not worry! Please keep reading.

Reminder #1: Time Commitment

I just want to reiterate that this is a serious time investment if you're looking to play the entire tour. We're looking at 9 rounds of Swiss which will likely go on for about an hour a piece. You're more than welcome to drop at any time for any reason with no penalty though.

Reminder #2: Check-in

A nifty feature of Battlefy is that we can cut out of all of the no shows ahead of time by enforcing a check-in that will open 24 hours before the start time. Please be aware of this and be sure to check in some time in this window, we'll remind you in the ZeldaVGC room before the start time but it's best to just do it as soon as you can. If you do not check in, you will not be in the tournament for round 1, helpful for those of you who asked about dropping out.

Reminder #3: Teams, Teams, TEAMS!

Please remember to submit your team on the battlefy submission. You are required to use this team for the entire tournament. This will be your "closed teamsheet" meaning that EVs, IVs, and Natures must be shown. Open Teamsheets will be collected some time in between the last round of Swiss and day 2 starting. If you're still looking for teams, we just updated our sample teams page!

Also, more so an announcement: Zelda will be streaming the event on his Twitch!

If you have any more questions, send me a PM, ask the Smogon VGC Discord, or message me on Twitter or Discord (zee#5449). Super excited to host a tournament this big, thank you all for your interest and participation, and see you on Saturday!

tagging all players signed up at the time of me making this post:
SeeDvgc PotatoTater
BrianJensVGCAccidentalGenius
Artcar ~Golden Emp
FraniaThiccPancham
xtra$hine Dedalorus
Mt. Fuji Chips TheSafewayPolice
Zigh DraKeyTT
B-RichVGC kaipro
Galactc PinkSylvie
slucinuwuLightScreener
birnemaia Yuuukina
LeafyVanGogh Jordan Flores
Bouff AndreAL96
Jose Brand EmbCPT
London13 CreeperClash
Majunia fuersabro
GliscorsairPedro100jfk
JhawkKingA_Memester112233
pinelabmfxl
Bananers7 Puncho
Valdens    YoshipVGC
nvboolbool Secr3tt
CapscaicinCarson
spatulakunkurono_p
Ahicodem Rahxen
ThePhantomFlame QuagSimon
LoSconosciuto Dragonikrroz
6Roggenrolas VOVOMAXBEN10
Hawnty AuraRayquaza
RenDesuNe ♱յօ͍ӆ͒ձϯңձӆ♱
TheKingVillager Uzbekistan
TheJFrenzy blarajan
ManTheTan Guithu
Chuggle Storium
SirAren448 Joanchiulo
Hyzese alajmoff
Mattidoni88 El Juaco
TonyFlygonMr.Bossaru
zulus Calbrown
Frog!  d3rul
Guzman031Labacedo
Goblin Eddie1840
AtmosphereVGC Mau2509
DuxpondMiloticgamer113
GermanVGC Carton
m3p3r d0n4s¿Torpedine
dq3640SrTorch13
@lax  MyTeamIsTrash83
Mta1124LucianoBegot
DudizinRu_Ema
pim100Yourwelcomthank
Un Aweonao AverageSwagger
zAkichuwu ichigo daifuku
HysDami
DeishuLaz
UmarVGC Evelyie
TheXich Theloafofbread
QueenZard Twilight Solace
Kirky014Molten Tower
octavio_manuel    BlackCobra
Kyubiki Potipoke
davidnessFlexpikachu
mikeboscck49
6neroxPretense4
shadekirby321IceGuanes96
RizTrey    papiloco
pokesun1DecimVGC
DomarpVGC DonkinDo
jellybean64Bug Maniac Marc
PrinzCurly Brace
ViniOak Plumbrr
Osda12Pro4tomico
Scorp BatHello yes it is me
NirinboLatvian
LegnaKMr.Holmes
RON...5  Xeno2000
@Ghiso  Lugia_numair
ValentineVGC DiplioPKMN
BlackClover1409TJ
@itsMarioVGC  flyingfalcons7
DaibaaGato-T
pkmnmasterjimcrazymix
Kebab mlml mattiemoomoo
Hervalt Raineko
Talkze Tricking
Max Rohckfall  raisedintyo
TGC_HOGZ Loafus
@Netharian  ExtremeHD
MeteordashIvian98
Ratjunfultrace
VanniOU Chuybreton8
Hugo47850 Regis Regis
tqew Charan
@olimar smashyman  Gfazzo
RaichyUrbanTracker
Lemon Pi200candies
Steg1992 Lavaburst14
VictorKids    Yami_Fabio
ashbala99Raywertor
Genius39AlexAnzo
rkd272closet trainer
bulufan14    Ikarcc
Drosek2Canovax
marcofiero    dahli
AfdvscProton20
Trauxe Butch Hardnight
maovgc Matariel156
flamingfearowcondornj
wh02blameArcanoaju8
Midocelli PasDer
Zero_experia997 Snuko
lemepa11 RisingVoltage94
Testing4VGCjust snores
Zepherox YoshiandLugia
@ÁgataVGC  Gioilele
JammJGMKortexVGC
mc56556 DarkJorch
MylenStarSerapis
Kanon90DaWoblefet
@Potter  Nariz
JoseTrainer Donalla
Asuya Gutsalg
Helios of Sun LostInSha
AC27 AllanG13
MustashTabu_24
Magnus_Zero777ZardicharVGC
AldrichYanJomatoes
goodvibesonly10Casty
catslovetoeatCynthia reee
emma KmjNext
Noiptile WMS-ryusei
millerh33Asurah
ZekromZekeArmoredGuns
SilverrorDarkraiNJB
rejo01Muper0517
ChurielixAnimus
crystal_0302Deathstroke
fvgb40 Derpeddeath
Syntex93    AussiePhilNguyen
OverkillFTF Spurrific
DaniCudeiro_17    Sleepy Luna
SimoElDiabloLucarioGreninjaFan
King Leo VAnLazyGuy
Igpvala Maretta.
BK rachikball
KendrinkVon Feuer
Zapdos18Bushtush
Xebas230 Teknospez
PaladinJMMeerko
Polarzito Ludicolo7
@Ste  Mega Mold Breaker
@ninopokebros  Matty is cute
@CML  crumi
igrekEGrim
brandonspectre Madao70
Ujan_UjonRaMiiVeX
Micky2735Cobravgc
Alphastormbbburn
incineraire    HappyDuckJJ
lJeff udhhfd12345
TeamCharmDflo
dnagerbadgerWille
Spottedwoot CoologicJZ
Inxcharlie DeTr
@PrimitiveVGC  Arundrago
DigioWilfire10
Blimax BlissieBlood
Voiyoh_AdamVGC
ZaelTXRafayyh
Kosss77vgc Caiovisk
ttrCosmicHunter
DynamoVGCprofessorragna
Gray mizmiz
Roversombra lucalucario
Draco destro caiovibora
Trimoxis ilovebayleef:D
AntoineVGC z0mOG
wjbax Jashsmash
Kalpofrangeraph
@Grandmas Cookin  MaizeCheetah
@EternalSnowman  Mabuuu
AzevedoGoulta27
Tiddvicious IBOIII
PedraMarrom MadMaxx30
Skydago North
HenvesCirlo
Zeeshanmasroor6SnapDrakeGames
Just_Awake x1upx
Agati Monster Blood
Dr Gekko dev611
Rayquazerd Gazoney
ObsidianWarrior nono10023

:Smogjynx:Please note these AREN'T PAIRINGS, I just used bracketmaker because it was the easiest way to tag everyone. Pairings will be made available after everyone has checked into the tournament. Don't contact the person next to you. They are not your opponents. :Smogjynx:

some of the tags didnt go through so: please read the above post!

Frania
Artcar
birnemaia
slucinuwu
TonyFlygon
Guzman031
Duxpond
Ghiso
itsMarioVGC
Netharian
olimar smashyman
ÁgataVGC
Potter
Ste
ninopokebros
CML
Grandmas Cookin
EternalSnowman

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)