CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Poll 4

What should the Base Stat Total of our new pokemon be?

Votes: 31 13.8%
  • 580-599

Votes: 21 9.4%
  • 560-579

Votes: 32 14.3%
  • 540-559

Votes: 65 29.0%
  • 520-539

Votes: 61 27.2%
  • 500-519

Votes: 9 4.0%
  • 480-499

Votes: 5 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is everyone assuming the worst case scenario in these battle situations? All I'm reading here is that the frailty of our pokemon won't allow it to switch in. The chance of having SR up is pretty good, but SR and three layers of spikes? Maybe if you're really bad at predicting. Besides, maybe this pokemon will be an excellent lead, and none of those things will matter.

Damn it, my choice is losing again.

=/ I just realized we're arguing over nothing here. This is just a fun game of creating an imaginary pokemon after all. There's really not much point in making cases for what we want because it's not like this is gonna be an official pokemon.

For starters there's no way gamefreak is ever putting in a pokemon that has the possibly of losing 3/4 of its HP switching in. But more importantly, it will be many, many, many years before 5th gen and a new set of pokemon come out and by then this will be long forgotten.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
=/ I just realized we're arguing over nothing here. This is just a fun game of creating an imaginary pokemon after all. There's really not much point in making cases for what we want because it's not like this is gonna be an official pokemon.

For starters there's no way gamefreak is ever putting in a pokemon that has the possibly of losing 3/4 of its HP switching in. But more importantly, it will be many, many, many years before 5th gen and a new set of pokemon come out and by then this will be long forgotten.
Charizard, Ho-oh, Articuno, Delibird and all the Bug/Flying pokémon can lose 3/4 of its health if Gravity, three layers of Spikes and Sealth Rock are put into the field. But I get your point.

Not only that, but we could ask for someone to create a mod server and add the Bug/Ice pokémon. So, we can test it like a GF-made pokémon.

And the Bug/Ice pokémon can easily have Levitate, so he'd take "just" 50% from SR.

"Just 50%." apparently..

I'm going with 540-559 here, Bug/Ice is one of the coolest attacking types, and one of the stupidest defensive types. Ever.

Hmm, treat this like Infernape or Straptor? Hard to get in, hard to survive what it throws at you.

If it's going to be.. 540-559

80/115/65/100/80/118

This would be ideal if the Pokemon ended up having Tail Glow, ala, Nasty Plot on Infernape. STAB Mega Horns on the physical side, and Tail Glow with STAB Ice Beams on the other would be quite fearsome.

Not with that attitude it's not. And arguing is what we're supposed to be doing. This is a discussion thread, after all.

It has possibly the worst typing ever and there are still people that want it to be below 600? WTF?
I don't understand why people keep calling Bug/Ice a horrible type combo. It's got two 4x weaknesses, but only one 2x weakness. That's really not that bad, guys. Fire and Rock moves aren't that common. Certainly not as common as Ice, and Garchomp seems to manage just fine.

I don't understand why people keep calling Bug/Ice a horrible type combo. It's got two 4x weaknesses, but only one 2x weakness. That's really not that bad, guys. Fire and Rock moves aren't that common. Certainly not as common as Ice, and Garchomp seems to manage just fine.
It has two 2x weaknesses, unless ice suddenly became resistant to flying and no one told me...

Well maybe this is a bit off topic but I think the best typing combination would be a Steel/Ghost with levitate. Lol that is actually extremely great typing, for the person using it.

1 Weakness to fire
Resists Rock, Dragon, Flying, and some other stuff.
Imuune to Poison, Normal, Ground Fighting plus no spikes damage

Oh well lol like theyd ever make it.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Bug/Ice:

Weaknesses:

4x: Rock, Fire
2x: Steel, Flying
1/2x: Ice, Grass, Ground

In short, this thing hates TTar, Ape, and Groos, and Salamence can pretty much destroy it at will if it moves first.

Fire and Rock are really bad weaknesses to have. Steel doesn't help with Groos still being quite popular. Gyro Ball Bronzong and Steelix could also be troublesome.

Ice never does anything any favors as far as defensive typing.

Ooh, I forgot some ideas I had on the speed range for this thing.

118 Speed would be ideal. Just like Garchomp says screw you to the large group of base 100's, this would srew over the large amount of Pokemon who have 115 base Speed. An alternative is 122, for the purpose of messing with Dugtrio and co. I feel we should let Weavile remain the fastest Ice type, for some wierd reason.

Is there anything that resists Bug/Ice/Ground? Because Ground hits both Rock and Fire Super Effective, and Aerodactyl is the only one from that type range looking to outspeed this thing.

Also, if this had Compound Eyes or Snow Warning, we can focus more on the physical side with the Base Stats. No physical walls like eating Special Ice Moves, except for Bronzong and Cressy (weak to bug). This also allows it to carry the big bad EQ, which is more probable than Earth Power anyways.

Yah, I think my ability vote is going to be Compound Eyes, 91% Hypnosis or 97.5% Sleep Powder, 110.5% Megahorn, and 91% Blizzard. That sounds really good, especially if it has the attack stats to back it up. I don't see Magic Gaurd being feasible, and Shiver might be a little too tailor made. But we all know any Bug can have Compound Eyes.

Is there anything that resists Bug/Ice/Ground? Because Ground hits both Rock and Fire Super Effective, and Aerodactyl is the only one from that type range looking to outspeed this thing.
Surskit lol (but i think Surskit don't matter)

Yah, I think my ability vote is going to be Compound Eyes, 91% Hypnosis or 97.5% Sleep Powder, 110.5% Megahorn, and 91% Blizzard. That sounds really good, especially if it has the attack stats to back it up. I don't see Magic Gaurd being feasible, and Shiver might be a little too tailor made. But we all know any Bug can have Compound Eyes.

I Think an ability that reduces SR Damage would be better.

Also, if this had Compound Eyes or Snow Warning, we can focus more on the physical side with the Base Stats. No physical walls like eating Special Ice Moves, except for Bronzong and Cressy (weak to bug). This also allows it to carry the big bad EQ, which is more probable than Earth Power anyways.
How would Compound Eyes allow us to focus on the physical aspect? Yes, we'd have a 91% Blizzard and HP Ground, but it'd still need the Sp. Attack to back those up (unless you don't think 180 BP needs backing up). But I do like the idea of a glass cannon sweeper.

Heads up people: I'm going to be sending some of you PMs. As is apparent by some of my posts throughout this program, I'm not very adept at pokemon design or strategy. Therefore, those of you who have contributed in a positive manner to the program (you know who you are), or who I consider to have a good mind for pokemon will be receiving a PM asking for your input on the matter of base stats. Please respond quickly, as the next poll will open on Sunday morning (it would be Saturday night, but I have Winter Dance:naughty:).

Surskit lol (but i think Surskit don't matter)

I Think an ability that reduces SR Damage would be better.
Like mentioned earlier, this poke would make a better opener then anything, much like Weavle. Its shouldn't really be seeing a switch in so it might be better off with something to just reduce its weaknesses/damage in general, like levitate. If its ment to nasty plot/sd, most people would be opening with it while holding a focus sash, do their boost while the fs saves them from a ohko and then letting their speed sweep the entire field.

How would Compound Eyes allow us to focus on the physical aspect? Yes, we'd have a 91% Blizzard and HP Ground, but it'd still need the Sp. Attack to back those up (unless you don't think 180 BP needs backing up). But I do like the idea of a glass cannon sweeper.
By focus, I meant have that be the higher of the two attacking Stats. Look at it like this, most non-Steel physical walls fall to ChainChomp, with only 80 SAtk and a neutral move. Blizzard hits most physical walls for SE or neutral (except Bulky Waters, but Slowbro falls to Megahorn anyways). We could give this 100-110 SAtk and then have 120ish Attack, therefore it focuses on Attack.

Hm... Cooper you do realize that this thing can have very varied stats depending on its ability, right? I have to choose between making something that doesn't exactly have too much HP to lose to Stealth Rock, or something that can use its resistance to EQ to punish Garchomp. I'll still do it, but I think an ability should have been chosen next, not the stat distribution.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If it's meant to be a mixed sweeper, I don't see why people are bitching about its defense typing. Excellent offensive type, but 4x to SR. That's the only thing that should be worried about. >_>

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
hyra said:
By focus, I meant have that be the higher of the two attacking Stats. Look at it like this, most non-Steel physical walls fall to ChainChomp, with only 80 SAtk and a neutral move (that move is STAB draco metor, not your averige move, and there where more votes for sp. sweeper so i take that to say that people want a pokemon thats more sp. based than phy. based). Blizzard hits most physical walls for SE or neutral (except Bulky Waters, but Slowbro falls to Megahorn anyways). We could give this 100-110 SAtk and then have 120ish Attack, therefore it focuses on Attack.
i say go with the votes from the last poll and make it sp. based but make it have good eneugh phy. attack to easyly beat blissey

Hm... Cooper you do realize that this thing can have very varied stats depending on its ability, right? I have to choose between making something that doesn't exactly have too much HP to lose to Stealth Rock, or something that can use its resistance to EQ to punish Garchomp. I'll still do it, but I think an ability should have been chosen next, not the stat distribution.
the sprite NEEDS to be chosen before the ability, and the sprites are not ready yet.
AOK said:
If it's meant to be a mixed sweeper, I don't see why people are bitching about its defense typing (i agree with this, speshly that it has some nice resists). Excellent offensive type, but 4x to SR. That's the only thing that should be worried about. >_>
all it needs is some spining suport and it would be fine, we dont need to give it 550+ stats i mean only 1 non-legind has stats like that (archanine)

Sprite doesn't need to be chosen before ability. You can always do things in the reverse and choose the ability and then render a sprite to suit your needs.

eric the espeon

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Sprite doesn't need to be chosen before ability. You can always do things in the reverse and choose the ability and then render a sprite to suit your needs.
ok. i see your point but if this is being done by popular vote people are more lightly to pick the ability that goes with the pokemon than picking the pokemon to go with the ability.

what im saying is that if the ability is chosen first we are more lightly to get mismached ability's and pokemon

I can see where you're coming from. Ability could be done next, but then again, I think it might be harmful to have the BST and base stats polls separated. However, if you think that's best....

For those of you calling for a sprite, it will come soon. If the upcoming polls are ability and stats, sprite will come after.

eric the espeon

cooper i sugest going for stats next, then if the sprites are ready do the sprite poll, if they are not do ability poll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)