CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Poll 7, part 3

What will be the art design of our new pokemon?

• CyzirVisheen

Votes: 134 56.8%
  • just some chick

Votes: 102 43.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate you all! Why the hell didn't you vote for Soy's!?!? His was the best, for Christ sake [/blatant favoritism]!!! You're lucky I'm honest about this, or I'd use my super mini-mod powers to change things....

Joking aside, it's the moment of truth here. We need to decide whose art will be used for the pokemon. Keep in mind that these are sketches, not sprites. The spriting process will be much more difficult, so I need talented spriters to volunteer for the daunting task of transforming the winner. I may try myself, but I'm just learning how to use Photoshop....

Here are the top two pictures. There will still only be two days of voting, but for obvious reasons, you'll only get one vote. Get to it.

CyzirVisheen:

just some chick:

Voted JSC. Nothing against Cyzir, but I think his beetle thing looks repulsive. There's no way that could ever truly represent a pokemon like this one.

you should always vote for the most metal version of a poke, its basically law.

if visheen doesnt win, it will be a sad day for smogon

As great as the drawing is for Just Some Chick...

The only attack I can see it using is Ice Beam. No Close Combat, no Megahorn, and i have a hard time seeing blizzard.

Also, with Ice Shell as the ability, how does the grasshopper thing even look remotely like it could have an ice shell?!?!?!

Go Visheen I am with yours all the way!

I'm not gonna say that Cyzir's looks more like a Pokemon...what I will say is that it simply looks cooler, and more plausible as a mixed sweeper IMO. How would that grasshopper use Ice Beam? I couldn't imagine that as the sprite to be used.

At any rate, I really like JSC's artwork nonetheless.

JSC's design doesn't have any problems that I can see. It looks like a Pokemon, and a far more original one that 'Angry-Blizzard-Aliens-Ninjask' up the top there. Close Combat and Megahorn could easily be performed by those spiky foreclaws, and with wings like that Blizzard. Ice Shell is obvious: It's an insect, it's exoskeleton is made of ice.

My favourite thing about JSC's design is that it would move differently to any other Pokemon we have right now. It has a great, unique body/leg design. ...and we still need a Grasshopper Pokemon.

i love jsc's drawing, i don't think anyone can dispute that.

but visheen's makes the most sense for what this creature is supposed to be!

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I voted for Cyzir's design. Very good merge of both bug and ice. Both concepts come screaming out of the design. I think the nuances and detail will be more workable in a sprite than most people think. The single picture posted in this thread really doesn't do justice to the all the design studies Cyzir did in the thread over in Smeargle's Studio. This picture is good, but the rest of the design was really fleshed out over there. Cyzir, I think your rendering technique could use a little polish, but your design skills are superb. We should not vote on the best rendering, but rather focus on the best design. Cyzir gets my vote on that account.

I think JSC's design is fantastic as well. It meshes perfectly with her rendering. Both are very lyrical and elegant. Not a lot of wasted detail or gaudy line work. A few basic design concepts, accented with a few clever flourishes. The scarf/wing is completely brilliant! JSC did it understated enough that it doesn't overpower the drawing, but you notice it nonetheless. It's almost like a little secret that the viewer discovers on their own. But, of course, everyone discovers it... so it's not so secret after all. That dichotomy is just wonderful. Stuff like that is so hard to pull off in any art medium. JSC did it great here.

I'd be happy to see either of these win.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
This is really neck and neck at the moment. :x

Regardless, I voted Cyzir's. It just looks more pleasing to me. :/

Also Cooper, I can offer you my spriting services if you still need them. I have a few years of experience under my belt and would be more than happy to bring the winner to life in pixelized splendor. Also, the tool of the trade is paint, not Photoshop. At least for me anyway...

If you want some proof of skill, I can divulge all that in a PM if you need it.

I voted for Cyzir's design. Very good merge of both bug and ice. Both concepts come screaming out of the design. I think the nuances and detail will be more workable in a sprite than most people think. The single picture posted in this thread really doesn't do justice to the all the design studies Cyzir did in the thread over in Smeargle's Studio. This picture is good, but the rest of the design was really fleshed out over there. Cyzir, I think your rendering technique could use a little polish, but your design skills are superb. We should not vote on the best rendering, but rather focus on the best design. Cyzir gets my vote on that account.

I think JSC's design is fantastic as well. It meshes perfectly with her rendering. Both are very lyrical and elegant. Not a lot of wasted detail or gaudy line work. A few basic design concepts, accented with a few clever flourishes. The scarf/wing is completely brilliant! JSC did it understated enough that it doesn't overpower the drawing, but you notice it nonetheless. It's almost like a little secret that the viewer discovers on their own. But, of course, everyone discovers it... so it's not so secret after all. That dichotomy is just wonderful. Stuff like that is so hard to pull off in any art medium. JSC did it great here.

I'd be happy to see either of these win.
Exactly this. I've been voting for these two the whole way through, so either one, I feel, is good.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
lol, it's still neck a neck after 50 votes. I have a feeling Cooper is going to have to let this poll go right until the deadline.

I didn't post it because a) it was too small to see any detail, b) I couldn't see it having the stats we decided on, and c) I thought it was ugly.
It was small because it was a sprite (cant you read?).

Also you may have thought it was ugly (how you thought mine was ugly and not the others is beyond me) but other people may had had different opinions.

I think that some of the ones chosen look to vicious to be pokemon anyway. And would be a nightmare for anyone to sprite.
CyzirVisheen's one looks like a digimon anyway.

Sadly, Soy-Monk's got eliminated, so I voted for Cyzir's.

jsc's drawing is really great, but as I've said in the past, as great as it looks, its looks too much like a basic grasshopper. On top of that, I can't really see it having a diverse movepool. I don't see Megahorn or Close Combat coming from it, two moves which I'd really want on it.

Cyzir's, on the other hand is going to be somewhat of an ice variant of Heracross. It definitely looks Close Combat compatible, as well as Megahorn.

I was also thinking if we could invent an ice version of Flare Blitz for this fellow. That'd be interesting.

Gmax

kuahahahaha
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Meh, Soy's lost. It was cooler than both of these put together. Oh well, I don't know how the idiot who said that JSC's thing could use Megahorn with its fucking foreclaws(note the HORN part) came to that conclusion. We're not Nintendo. We don't need to churn out little kid images when we're attempting to make something. Cyzir's design is pretty cool(I hate the mouth though), and yeah, I can see it running a lot of nice moves. Its also got all those spikes(at least they're long and pointy, so symbolically you could treat them as horns) which I suppose could act as an Ice Shell.

Cooper : you don't need photoshop to sprite just paint. plain old paint
I would sprite cyzir's myself but I don't quite think that I am to that stage yet just simple fusions for me.

Ps. I voted for jsc's because we don't want it to be too good. we don't exacly need megahorn we could use x-scissor without it being over and underpowered

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Cyzir's looks like too metalic to me, and jsc's doesn't look like a pokémon that may use Megahorn.

HOWEVER, we still need to create a new move to this thing, so jsc's might get some 100 BP Bug move or whatever.

So, I think I'll go with jsc's. Cyzir's is amazing and all, but I REALLY despise the metalic look. Specially on the arms.

Cooper : I ran some tests on cyzir's image and I shrunk it to fit into an 80 * 80 pixel space and this is what I got

Don't look so cool anymore huh

however jcs's when shrunk to the same size looks much better even though it still looks worse than before

To those that say that cyzir's is just as complicated as tyranitar's is mistaken its a thousand times more complicated. belive me I have looked at that thing up close and it has a ton more pixels than tyranitar. I have sprited tyranitar before and its not easy but its not this complex.

Jsc's however is much more easy to sprite being how it is simple enough to sprite. Due to the fact that it has less colors less complex borders and a more sprite able shape.

I think people need to stop thinking oooh closecombat and megahorn and think if we are really serious about something like this then we need to take into acount thefact that to implement this we need a sprite and to get a sprite it needs moar simplicity.

just my two cents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)