CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Poll 7, part 3

What will be the art design of our new pokemon?

• CyzirVisheen

Votes: 134 56.8%
  • just some chick

Votes: 102 43.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I like the sprite, Doug, but the head area seems a tad undefined to me. Some stronger lines in that area and it would be near-perfect.
Yeah, maybe I went a little overboard on killing all the black outlines. Now that you mention it, the face does lack a little definition. Also, the eyes don't really look "mean". They look kinda "sleepy", IMO. I tried to work it out, but was just making a mess of it. I figured I'd post it and see if someone could make something workable. Plus, I can only work on an 80x80 square for so long, before I start getting a headache. I'm putting this away for the night, and I'll see what else gets posted here.

It needs all of Vespiquen's signiture attacks and no megahorn.
bleh. vespiquen got those signature moves because she's a queen, and has cronies to do crap like attack, heal, and defend. this thing's just like a humanoid bug with icicles coming out of its back. it somehow reminds me of lucario. Aura sphere for the win!!! but seriously guys, the original drawing just screams aura sphere, and the thing needs something to shit on steels. I can't see an icy human-bug thing shooting flames. but I can see it shooting balls of "aura" from its hands, especially when I see the little drawing. um, I would say the thing needs icicle spear for the lol factor.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Now there's a killer sprite!

But I can't resist having a go so I'm going to try and add some shading around the hands, to make it look as if the sun is reflecting off it a bit more.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
I decided to be an ass to myself and completely do a custom pose. :(

It should be done in a few hours...

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
-->
-->-->
-->

CyzirVisheen's > Weavile Tamer's > Doug's > Sanjay's > Sunday's
Modified Sanjays version.
Note the:
Elongated black lines on hands, and head
Added in highlights to hands and on shoulders, to replicate the original sketch.

When we updated the sprite to make it look like a D/P sprite we lost the shading on the top of the shoulders and on the arms, so I added them back in. I also elongated the black lines on the hand to bring the pokemon back into scale with the original sketch.

Sanjay's was already briliant, but personaly I think it's slight improvement, worthwhile nevertheless. The hands seem to be a bit too much a block colour on Sanjays, and the black lines on the hands are much shorter in the sketch.

EDIT: Also, everybody seems to presume this is the only form. What about pre-evolutions people???

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Ok, this sprite will take me much longer than anticipated, but I did manage to sketch the pose I'm going to sprite it in. I intentionally left some things out like the lower legs because I can do better with them when I sprite it itself.

Also Cyzir, is it alright If I say I think it looks better without antennae?

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a110/kingofanime/icebugg.png
I copyright this pose! >:o

Just for people mentioning attack/ heal order:

Those moves work ONLY for Vespiquen. The idea is that she's the queen of the hive and she orders other bees to attack and or heal (although how they'd do the latter is beyond me). I really don't see Cyzir's as a mother figure somehow. Just because it's a bug doesn't mean it needs all the bug moves. So the same applies to megahorn.

Also, these learnsets are really unrealistic. Jibaku's was best so far because it wasn't just a list of every ice/bug move increasing with power/level. Seriously, how many pokemon do you see learning both Ice Beam and Blizzard? Seeing as they're both TMs, it doesn't need to learn both.

Oh, and I can see it learning both Close Combat and Zap Cannon more naturally than Ice Beam and Megahorn. Blizzard is definitely more understandable somehow.

Just for people mentioning attack/ heal order:

Those moves work ONLY for Vespiquen. The idea is that she's the queen of the hive and she orders other bees to attack and or heal (although how they'd do the latter is beyond me). I really don't see Cyzir's as a mother figure somehow. Just because it's a bug doesn't mean it needs all the bug moves. So the same applies to megahorn.

Also, these learnsets are really unrealistic. Jibaku's was best so far because it wasn't just a list of every ice/bug move increasing with power/level. Seriously, how many pokemon do you see learning both Ice Beam and Blizzard? Seeing as they're both TMs, it doesn't need to learn both.

Oh, and I can see it learning both Close Combat and Zap Cannon more naturally than Ice Beam and Megahorn. Blizzard is definitely more understandable somehow.
There are about 147 pokemon that learn both Ice Beam and Blizzard. I Agree that it shouldn't get any of the "orders".

PypeHype: Let me rephrase that for him; how many learn those two naturally?

And, I honestly don't see how that thing could use Close Combat. Maybe Superpower, but definitely not Close Combat. I'm just not seeing it =(

Aside from that and Toxic Spikes and Selfdestruct, I really like Jibaku's learnset.

There are about 147 pokemon that learn both Ice Beam and Blizzard.
Don't forget all the pokemon that learn Thunderbolt and Thunder. Not to mention the ever-popular Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Overheat TM combos.

Don't get your panties in a bunch, people. I'm working on the new poll now....

I love sundays evolution of sprites thing

I did some touch ups on the shading of sundays and added a purple color that I think looks pretty good on it

The crystal spikes somewher along the line turned into wings lol on every sprite that has been done really

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I like some of the updates to my sprite, I dislike some of them. I think all of them will be rendered moot when Cyzir posts his finished sprites. If his earlier posts were any indication, his sprites will likely put all these to shame.

I did some touch ups on the shading of sundays and added a purple color that I think looks pretty good on it

The crystal spikes somewher along the line turned into wings lol on every sprite that has been done really
This sprite is badass

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion

That sprite looks awesome, except, it should face the other way. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)