Smogon's Official Ladder Tournament III - Round 2 (Loser brackets)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday evening I was hyped to watch the game ABR - Tele. Whatever happened, Tele would get mad either way. With a loss, it'd be about the shitty community. When winning, abr would be the worst player ever. A win for me either way.

After watching g1and enough of g2 to know it was terrible. I decided to go to bed around midnight. My alarm set at 6.30 am, apparently the game kept going until I woke up. Here I am now, sitting in the train, reading all this shit, so glad I skipped the end.

Please council, never make this happen again. Either by making a new clause or by praying that gamefreak creates some digimon that makes pp stall completely unviable.

I also wanna say that most of the battle was abr having the upper hand and making unecessary, obsessive, repetitive switches whose only intent was to make the battle last as long as possible so that i would have been obliged to stay up pretty much all night. Without those, the match itself wouldnt have lasted more than 2 hrs and probably not even 400 turns. Not only it was a display of unsportmanlike conduct that ive never seen here on smogon, but it was also quite pathetic considering that the stakes werent even too high for that game. I suppose the game drew so much interest because of the fact that one of the players, myself, is in fact one of the best players of this generation and will be forever considered as such, even after some mediocre showings as it was the case during the last period.

I don't really care that much about the whole situation (though I did come on smogtours every 40-50 minutes or so to check how the battle was progressing until 5 am), but since you seemed fully aware of being in a losing position, and having plans for today, why didn't you make use of the wonderful feature that is the forfeit button. also known as "la x rossa in alto a destra"?

it would have saved you some hours of agony

or is your ego too hard to swallow?

Tele

a quality human being
if you want to extrapolate lines out of context to put in a bad light, go ahead and do it, im not going to stop you from doing so, you are doing it for the likes and for the drama and i respect that
but i just want you to know that those lines came in response to abr constant mocking and provoking, with the tournament directors doing absolutely nothing. here i got a few nice examples of what im talking about

★ABR: if ur getting tired of me trying to win i can go back to switching
★ABR: cuz uk thats what i do
★ABR: stall to annoy u

★ABR: ok time to sit another 2 hours
★ABR: hope u miss work or w/e u do

I don't really care that much about the whole situation (though I did come on smogtours every 40-50 minutes or so to check how the battle was progressing until 5 am), but since you seemed fully aware of being in a losing position, and having plans for today, why didn't you make use of the wonderful feature that is the forfeit button. also known as "la x rossa in alto a destra"?

it would have saved you some hours of agony

or is your ego too hard to swallow?
he didnt really care but he came on smogtours every 40 minutes to check the battke. very logical
he assumes i was fully aware of being in a losing position when ive never said that, and even then, being in a losing position isnt enough of a justification to forfeit a game. ive won tons of games where i was in a much more difficult situation but it didnt prevent me from ending up as the final the winner, it happened 2 years ago against bloo and it happened last year against cosine.
i also couldnt predict the battle would last for so long. i couldnt predict my opponent would start using timezones at his advantage and make the battle last forever and i couldnt predict tournament directors would do absolutely nothing about it despite the evident lack of sportmanship. if you have a win condition, you use it before turn 400, as someone said in this thread, and not at turn 1200 or whatever it was.

but anyway this post coming from the same guy whos still mad over me not wanting him on the italian team last year after he went 0-3 in 2015, it doesnt really hurt me. remember kids, when you lose, all the haters come back altogether.

i just used the word 'lose', and well id like to say something more about it.
i may be the loser of the battle. i most certainly am. but i dont think im the only loser from yesterdays game.

i think abr is a loser too for showing everyone how much pitiful his life is. you dont believe abr was intentionally trying to extend the game as long as he possibly could, and he was just doing it for the memes? well i think you should. but if you dont believe that, then you should be able to tell me why he didnt try to win with the sd skarmory at turn 200 instead of doing it at turn 1200. he pretty much sacrificed 6 hrs of his time just for the memes. i respect that a lot. it takes a lot of dedication. i dont know many people who would do that, especially with no gain. putting an online videogame ahead of your irl relationship, i will always respect that. or maybe he just didnt have anything better to do than sitting in front of his laptop for 7 hours. thats also an option

but the real loser from yesterday, it was neither me nor abr. it was you. it was the spectators. just wanted to get that out.

like i said something went wrong during my preparation for this olt, i probably should have asked myself some questions after i struggled to make playoffs for the 1st time ever, instead i just ignored this warning. ill be gone for a while but u can bet ill come back in great style

You say "he could have won at turn 200" like you forgot that you still zapdos discharges, azu scalds, mew willos, and an unrevealed move on lati that I would assume abr thought was tbolt. Abr could have played the end game like he did 600 turns earlier, but that was still "risky". Abr had no reason to sack his wincons and you really weren't helping ending the game

if I really cared I'd have watched the battle entirely, instead of coming every x amount of time to check out of curiosity of it was going?_? I was doing something else in the meantime (not having sex as our lord sogeking suggested unfortunately), and whenever I had a bit of free time I thought I'd just see what all the fuss was about, since the battle's length was being talked about in some communication channels I frequent

regardless, the rest of your post shows off which one of us is actually mad, feeling the need to write a paragraph full of lies to showcase how much "better" you are, as if I ever wanted to play in this wcop, as if I'd ever want to play on a team with you in it, as if I felt the need to bring out past tournaments' records (fyi I still have a positive winrate overall in wcop) of someone to just discredit him, as if you've ever achieved anything in this game (and even then, achievements on a Pokémon forum where people play mostly for fun...really)

stay mad, baddie, maybe within the next 5000 ladder matches you'll play you'll acquire some actual skills

Last edited:
i think abr is a loser too for showing everyone how much pitiful his life is.
At least he didn't sacrify his sleep hours to lose a game in which he could had just forfeited 1200 turns earlier

but the real loser from yesterday, it was neither me nor abr. it was you. it was the spectators. just wanted to get that out.
Like everyone watched that pile of dogshit supposed to be a match lol do u see dead ppl dude (as ur hypothetical fans are)? start making the sequel of The Sixth Sense then

ill be gone for a while

but u can bet ill come back in great style

Cant wait to see u infracted and gone for good

keys

It's Prime Time
is a Forum Moderatoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
if you want to extrapolate lines out of context to put in a bad light, go ahead and do it, im not going to stop you from doing so, you are doing it for the likes and for the drama and i respect that
but i just want you to know that those lines came in response to abr constant mocking and provoking, with the tournament directors doing absolutely nothing. here i got a few nice examples of what im talking about

★ABR: if ur getting tired of me trying to win i can go back to switching
★ABR: cuz uk thats what i do
★ABR: stall to annoy u

★ABR: ok time to sit another 2 hours
★ABR: hope u miss work or w/e u do

he didnt really care but he came on smogtours every 40 minutes to check the battke. very logical
he assumes i was fully aware of being in a losing position when ive never said that, and even then, being in a losing position isnt enough of a justification to forfeit a game. ive won tons of games where i was in a much more difficult situation but it didnt prevent me from ending up as the final the winner, it happened 2 years ago against bloo and it happened last year against cosine.
i also couldnt predict the battle would last for so long. i couldnt predict my opponent would start using timezones at his advantage and make the battle last forever and i couldnt predict tournament directors would do absolutely nothing about it despite the evident lack of sportmanship. if you have a win condition, you use it before turn 400, as someone said in this thread, and not at turn 1200 or whatever it was.

but anyway this post coming from the same guy whos still mad over me not wanting him on the italian team last year after he went 0-3 in 2015, it doesnt really hurt me. remember kids, when you lose, all the haters come back altogether.

i just used the word 'lose', and well id like to say something more about it.
i may be the loser of the battle. i most certainly am. but i dont think im the only loser from yesterdays game.

i think abr is a loser too for showing everyone how much pitiful his life is. you dont believe abr was intentionally trying to extend the game as long as he possibly could, and he was just doing it for the memes? well i think you should. but if you dont believe that, then you should be able to tell me why he didnt try to win with the sd skarmory at turn 200 instead of doing it at turn 1200. he pretty much sacrificed 6 hrs of his time just for the memes. i respect that a lot. it takes a lot of dedication. i dont know many people who would do that, especially with no gain. putting an online videogame ahead of your irl relationship, i will always respect that. or maybe he just didnt have anything better to do than sitting in front of his laptop for 7 hours. thats also an option

like i said something went wrong during my preparation for this olt, i probably should have asked myself some questions after i struggled to make playoffs for the 1st time ever, instead i just ignored this warning. ill be gone for a while but u can bet ill come back in great style
Honestly, I didn't enjoy the way Abr was clearly taunting you and trying to push you towards forfeiting throughout the whole battle. Of course he tried to extend it for as long as he could, knowing it would be uncomfortable for you. However, I also think you should have forfeited earlier, since I didn't see any reason for you to stay for that long, knowing you have better things to do with your time than sitting there clicking moves in a game you wouldn't win. Best of luck bud if you decide to go, and if you don't, hope to see you in the next one.

teal6

is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I would like to point out that Tele reached out to me mid-battle and asked me to discuss with ABR the possibility of a tie. As I was at work during the entirety of their battle, I responded when I saw my tab turn orange and immediately responded to him (noticing the battle was in the several hundred turns at this point) saying that I would. By the time I submitted my answer he had told me "I don't care" and called me a (BAN ME PLEASE). I'm unsure of what I did to provoke such a response, but I still brought the idea to ABR irrespective of Tele's disdain or anger toward me, as I understand the situation came about as a result of frustration and anger at his current position.

ABR maintained that he had a win condition (I was unaware of what it was as I was not watching the battle and am not well enough versed in ORAS OU to recognize that SD Skarmory was even an option) and that he was not interested in forfeiting. As I posted in the SmogTours chat at the time, my personal preference is not to forcibly end a game should one player have a specific win condition regardless of the amount of time that it would take to pull off. A different scenario, for example, would be a game in which neither player has a possible win condition (say, no PP, must struggle for both, so constant doubles etc.) However in this match that was not the case (as evident by how it eventually ended).

Personally I disliked the sportsmanship on both sides and feel it contributes negatively to our tournament culture as a whole. Those that know me should know well that I prefer a straightforward and respectful engagement between any two given people and I'm saddened that neither side was able to uphold that. That said, and despite the outbursts directed at me (and, from what I hear, dekzeh as well?) I do not think either player went so far as to be deserving of disqualification or penalty. Tele, if this is a point you would like to contest at all, please feel free to reach out to me any time and I will be sure to answer with as much haste as I can.

For anyone else in this tournament that has animosity toward one of the other players that they get matched up against I would strongly suggest you put that to the side and enjoy the game! We play an unofficial version of a relatively niche competitive game, it is cheesy to say but the real enjoyment should come from interaction with others in the community and poisoning that well makes us all losers in the long run.

edit: One final thought I would like to add - if anyone has any comment, concern or suggestion re: the handling of extraordinairy niche cases like the one we experienced today, please feel free to contact me at any time. In fact, several players did during the match, and I'd love community input on what folks think should be done in this edge cases, as they are typically the ones you can never prepare policy for. If I'm ever on SmogTours I'm always PMable, or reach out on here or Skype, it is absolutely no issue.

edit2: Moving forward from this post, please keep personal insults out of the thread.

Last edited:
Ok, on a serious note now (I don't know what I expected to happen to my last reply :P): It's an absolute joke to see the misbehavior of Tele here, and tbh a showcase of a really hurt and misguided character...

So he's stalling you out, boohoo, big deal. Is it a popular tactic? Hardly. Will you make a lot of friends with it? Nope, not at all. We're all with you until that point Tele. But is this tactic banned? In some way illegal? Not allowed in a certain metagame, tier or tournament format? It's not. ABR didn't violate any rules.

So what, in your twisted, juvenile mind, gives you the idea that it would be appropiate to go on a full capslock rant insulting him, insulting mods, being homophobic, etc.pp.? You need to seriously, and I mean SERIOUSLY need to re-think several of your life-choices if that behavior seems like the correct choice for you, because I'll assure you, once you're an adult, you'll get nowhere like this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)