Solosis (Ubers Analysis) [QC 2/2]

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well my health has been terrible and I keep having to make trips to the emergency room, so sorry for my stuff being super uber late! My plan here is to make this my SHORTEST ANALYSIS EVER, but first its time to jump through the hoops with the QC stuff by making a quick and dirty skeleton!

Solosis

[Overview]
  • Solosis might seem like a silly gimmick, but Magic Guard plus Trick Room makes it much more of a threat than silly shit like FEAR rattata.
  • Its not gonna be sweeping, but the reason this mon works is because when played well on Trick Room teams, Endeavor can make it a real game changer.
  • Should only be used on Trick Room teams.

[SET]
name: Ubers Level 1 Trick Room
move 1: Trick Room
move 2: Endeavor
move 3: Toxic / Pain Split
move 4: Protect / Pain Split
item: Focus Sash
evs: 36 Atk
IVs:0-9 HP (an IV of 9 is the highest IV you can get away with to have the lowest HP)

[SET COMMENTS]
  • The concept is as simple as numel: set up Trick Room, then Endeavor anything that isn't a ghost.
  • The easiest way is to come in on a set up move / after a kill, set up Trick Room, then commit seppuku by using Endeavor. Only do this when the opponent doesn't have priority.
  • Makes a great emergency revenge killer against a wide varaity of sweepers.
  • Toxic is for Giratina-O and Ghost Arceus. Protect is there to attempt to "stall" them out. I'll slash some stuff from optional changes here if enough people want me to.
  • The evs are silly but there is a small reason for them: 36 Atk lets you 4HKO all Solosis with Struggle assuming a 31 Attack IV, thus in a rare Solosis vs Solosis last mon match, it will end in a tie unless you use an atk reducing nature (so dont) or crits happen. Silly, but might as well be a perfectionist since the evs won't do anything else useful!

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • You'll want entry hazards of some sort so a mon switching out after endeavor is screwed. If you can fit it in, Toxic Spikes are ESPECIALLY nasty. If going the Toxic Spikes route, use Forretress.
  • Tyranitar can be an awesome teammate because of the sand. Yes Groudon and Kyogre will ruin the sand, but once they are gone, if TTar is still around then Solosis becomes a bitch! Abomasnow isn't as good under Trick Room as Tyranitar is, but Hail lets you give Dialga and other steel fiends the middle finger.
  • The usual Trick Room suspects are the best teammates. so Dialga, Palkia, LO Bronzong, and Victini. Non TRers that are slow such as Groudon and Kyogre are also nice teammates.
  • Wobbuffet is a pretty good teammate. It likes Trickroom, and can use Encore to let Solosis get a free turn to cause mayhem.
  • GHOSTS ARE A FUCKING BITCH! Make it your priority to take out these bastards to maximize Solosis's effectiveness. Mainly Giratina-O, Giratina-A, and Ghost Arceus. Dialga is a must here because it can tell the Giratinas to fuck off with Draco Meteor. Haban Palkia is also pretty cool for that. Pursuit TTar also fucks up Giratina-O. Ghost Arceus is trickier, I'll update this post later for tactics against that asshole and the other two ghosts.

[Other Options]
  • Reflect or Light Screen make decent replacements over Protect.
  • If you REALLY want a damaging attack to say "fuck off 1 HP mons", the best bets are HP Flying and Rock Slide. Rock Slide for "lol flinch" and hitting everything, and HP Flying because it hits everything.
  • Maybe I'll put Explosion here for "FREE SWITCH IN", but I didn't like it much at all outside of that.
  • It doesn't jive well with Trick Room, but I have to admit that Thunder Wave can be helpful for when Trick Room runs out.
  • Confuse Ray is situational, but the 50% chance to fuck up a mon is pretty nice

[Checks and Counters]
  • GHOSTS! Giratina-A in particular is a fucking asshole because it can just rest off the Toxic. Ghost Arceus is also a bitch to counter so it works well. Just make sure to watch out for Toxic when using Ghost Arceus / Giratina-O.
  • Priority users such as Normal Arceus are always a help against Solosis.
  • There actually isn't much else that checks Solosis besides smart playing!

[Dream World]
  • lol do I really need this section...

STUFF TO TEST
I'll test Aron with Solosis as gimicky as that sounds.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
lol Solosis. I remember using this in OU after you first suggested it o_0.

Confuse Ray is something that could be worth using, as it makes your opponent jack off half the time. Basically, say if you use Trick Room, then Endeavor on something like Dialga with Leftovers, you can go "lol Confuse Ray" and hope Dialga kills itself. I remember using using Confuse Ray a couple of times and getting that extra kill due to confusion hax.

You can probably make a bigger mention of Tyranitar, too, since Tyranitar goes LOL GIRATINA-O IS MY BITCH and Pursuits it to oblivion. Something like Taunt / Crunch / Pursuit with speed investment is epic to run alongside Solosis.

You might also want to make a briefer mention of Abomasnow, since more Pokemon succumb to Hail, and those that don't are pretty mediocre anyway (Kyurem, Ice Arceus aren't what I call the greatest Uber threats).

Trick Room is fun :) and Endeavor works great with Magic Guard

Aron > Solosis, Sturdy + Shell Bell is always cool.

EDIT: Trick Room is a rather shaky strategy in Ubers to me. Also, even if I use Trick Room, I won't use Solosis because it isn't useful IMO I rather destroy things with something like Dialga with those 4 turns. Cresselia is way better as a suicide Trick Room setter.

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Confuse Ray is situational, but fuck so is most of Solosis's optional changes so I added it. Ive also added TTar as a teammate for beating Giratina-O and Abomasnow as a teammate. As for Aron, I guess I'll test that even if it seems a bit gimicky to have two level 1 mons on the same team.

Edit: added Pain Split to testing list, and added an ev spread for a VERY small reason.

Just wondering, is magic guard really worth it over spore on smeargle? It really needs more mention of advantages over smeargle.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just wondering, is magic guard really worth it over spore on smeargle? It really needs more mention of advantages over smeargle.
Being able to keeps its Sash without being bothered by hazards makes it more useful throughout the whole game. I've used this thing, and its so easy to set up TR with it its not even funny.

it might seem like too much but imo fast guard is cool for this so Solosis is pretty much invincible. Maybe that can go into AC for teammates

edit: sorry I thought Fast Guard was one of those moves that lasts for 5 turns like Reflect and stuff. You can disregard this in that case.

Theorymon

Charmander this isn't a doubles analysis, its a singles one. Solosis also doesn't learn Fast Guard.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I cannot remember, but doesn't Knock Off still kill Solosis? I would also remove protect for pain split.
I've tested this on Shedninja before. Focus Sash activates before Knock Off can remove it, so Solosis will survive.

Nature should be -Speed nature, and Spe IVs should be 15 or less. That gives you 4 Spe, to make yourself slower than other Solosis in Trick Room.

If HP Flying is mentioned in OO HP Flying, Gyro Ball should be as well, which does more damage when you have 4 Spe (Solosis can get 8 SpA max, whilst it can get 7 Atk max, 6 with the current spread). The only reason to use HP flying is Shedninja, and that's if you don't have entry hazards, sandstorm etc.

Also, I support Pain Split being one of the main moves, with Toxic being slashed with Protect. Toxic, as said in the analysis, is for Ghost-types. Pain Split is a much better move against those Pokemon. Toxic, is however, a way to finish off a 1 HP Pokemon. So it should be slashed with Protect; Protect being preferred if you have TSpikes and/or sandstorm/hail support, Toxic being preferred without such support.

Theorymon

I've tested this on Shedninja before. Focus Sash activates before Knock Off can remove it, so Solosis will survive.

Nature should be -Speed nature, and Spe IVs should be 15 or less. That gives you 4 Spe, to make yourself slower than other Solosis in Trick Room.

If HP Flying is mentioned in OO HP Flying, Gyro Ball should be as well, which does more damage when you have 4 Spe (Solosis can get 8 SpA max, whilst it can get 7 Atk max, 6 with the current spread). The only reason to use HP flying is Shedninja, and that's if you don't have entry hazards, sandstorm etc.

Also, I support Pain Split being one of the main moves, with Toxic being slashed with Protect. Toxic, as said in the analysis, is for Ghost-types. Pain Split is a much better move against those Pokemon. Toxic, is however, a way to finish off a 1 HP Pokemon. So it should be slashed with Protect; Protect being preferred if you have TSpikes and/or sandstorm/hail support, Toxic being preferred without such support.
I disagree just a bit with a couple of things here. The reason I like Protect with Toxic is because in my experience, Protect stalling has actually saved me in emergencies before, usually when my team has lost its answer to Ghost Arceus, it already has poison damage, so Protect can be helpful. Despite that, with the support Pain Split is getting, I'll test it asap. Because of Toxic Spikes though, I'll probably slash Toxic in with Protect as an option, so Pain Split is likely getting in as a slash in with Toxic or Protect regardless because Solosis's movepool is pretty meager.

Gyro Ball doesn't really make sense because at level 1, I'm pretty sure Gyro Balls "extra power" won't do anything besides giving you lower PP (which is actually a good thing because it helps you against other Solosis lol), which I'm not sure is worth it over hitting Shedinja besides the rare Solosis vs Solosis matchup. Finally with the whole speed thing, me and trickroom did some "test" matches to test out solosis vs solosis. Turns out that the it doesn't even matter because without crits, it always ended in a tie when both Solosis had the same amount of PP, thus I don't feel the need to mention natures beyond "don't use an attack reducing nature", since Solosis needs that to 4HKO other Solosis with Struggle.

Edit: I'm gonna add stuff gradully to this analysis, but GP please don't check it till everything has been nitpicked!

Is this still being worked on? Trick Room is also an iffy strategy in Ubers in my opinion. Solosis is even worse because will you really use it? I rather sweep them all with hard hitters in Trick Room.

Once again, Trick Room can easily be foiled in Ubers especially when the effects run out and your opponent still has powerful sweepers such as Mewtwo. Lugia shuts down almost any Trick Room sweeper while Chansey/Blissey walls the rest. In Trick Room, it allows the blobs to hit Kyogre before you move too.

I used Solosis before but it sucks. I don't know about Theorymon but I can't see much reason to use it especially when Trick Room is a rather shaky strategy.

Is this still being worked on? Trick Room is also an iffy strategy in Ubers in my opinion. Solosis is even worse because will you really use it? I rather sweep them all with hard hitters in Trick Room.

Once again, Trick Room can easily be foiled in Ubers especially when the effects run out and your opponent still has powerful sweepers such as Mewtwo. Lugia shuts down almost any Trick Room sweeper while Chansey/Blissey walls the rest. In Trick Room, it allows the blobs to hit Kyogre before you move too.

I used Solosis before but it sucks. I don't know about Theorymon but I can't see much reason to use it especially when Trick Room is a rather shaky strategy.
The thing lies in the fact that Solosis can pretty much revenge kill any sweeper that does not have priority with TR + Endeavor (i.e. a +2 +2 Excadril, +2 +2 DD Rayquaza, Scarf Kyogre etc.)

How can you revenge kill any sweeper when you can't even kill them? You bring them down to min HP but they KO you next turn, unless the attacker is holding Life Orb and Trick Room is active. You can say pair with Tyranitar but Tyranitar is already forced out easily by Kyogre and Groudon, both who are so common. Also the ones you mentioned, Rayquaza and Excadrill are immune to SandStorm, so you can't revenge kill them. Kyogre is obviously unaffected due to Drizzle.

This isn't useful at all. For example, Dialga defeats ALL three sweepers you mentioned under Trick Room conditions with just one Attack. Excadrill(Fire Blast), Rayquaza(any Dragon attack), Kyogre (Draco Meteor/Thunder). Palkia, Zekrom and Groudon can achieve the same thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)